Ryan Kent - The Clash of Opinions

Should he stay or should he go?

• Kent to stay at Rangers next season

Votes: 803 70.6%
  • Kent to leave Rangers in the Summer

Votes: 335 29.4%

• Total voters
He’s been one of our best players since Beale came in and I would say he would probably go up a level next season if stayed.
He might no scores loads but he get a hell of a lot of assists.

He’s our best player. Watch the Europa League highlights and tell me you have faith in the new Wright or Matondo.

He has played a 137 league games and scored 28 goals and assisted 29.

That is horrendous for an attacker

Ryan Giggs played over 250 games in his last 10 years and never scored more than 5 in a season.

Everton spent £22m on Dwight McNeil after he scored 7 goals in 143 games.

Bonkers to only focus on stats.

He’s our best player. Watch the Europa League highlights and tell me you have faith in the new Wright or Matondo.
he was great in europe but we play the majority of our games in scotland where he isnt contributing enough.

We need to move on from these players who have continually let us down domestically.

Ryan Giggs played over 250 games in his last 10 years and never scored more than 5 in a season.

Ryan Giggs wasn't playing in Scotland ffs :D

Still considered a quality player - but his stats are shite.
Giggs was playing in the midfield. He wasn’t playing as an attacker, so it’s really a worthwhile comparison. Kent is an attacker, his output for a very expensive attacker is crap to be perfectly honest.

He has played a 137 league games and scored 28 goals and assisted 29.

That is horrendous for an attacker

Close to 60 goal contributions in 137 league matches is nowhere near 'horrendous'. In fact, Naismith had similar despite playing a number of games up front, and nobody would have said he was a poor player for us. How many assists should he have had in his time here from missed sitters by strikers too? I'd say at least 5 per season.

Giggs was playing in the midfield. He wasn’t playing as an attacker, so it’s really a worthwhile comparison. Kent is an attacker, his output for a very expensive attacker is crap to be perfectly honest.
They’re both left wingers.

Kent got more assists than anyone in Europe’s top 12 leagues last season and is our top assister this season.

How crap.

He got more assists than the likes of Muller and Mbappe last season?

Was a stat I heard, but seems he didn’t - not far off though. Good company to be in - hardly a stick to beat him with. 19 assists is pretty impressive in anyone’s view. I don’t know why you wouldn’t want that option in the squad.

They’re both left wingers.

Kent got more assists than anyone in Europe’s top 12 leagues last season and is our top assister this season.

How crap.
But he didn’t play as a left winger for several years so it’s completely redundant.

Bolded parts are complete bollocks, don’t know where you got that from. Borna has more assists and only one less goal so far this season, he’s a fecking left back! Last season Thomas Müller managed managed one less assist in the Budesliga than the total that Kent managed in all completions. 17 other players trumped his total and that was just in the top 5 leagues.

Was a stat I heard, but seems he didn’t - not far off though. Good company to be in - hardly a stick to beat him with. 19 assists is pretty impressive in anyone’s view. I don’t know why you wouldn’t want that option in the squad.
Nowhere near it, i just checked. Not even in the top 25.

But he didn’t play as a left winger for several years so it’s completely redundant.

Bolded parts are complete bollocks, don’t know where you got that from. Borna has more assists and only one less goal so far this season, he’s a fecking left back! Last season Thomas Müller managed one less assist on the Bundesliga as Kent managed in all competitions. So let’s stop making shite up.

Why wouldn’t you want a guy in the squad who assisted 19 goals last season and has assisted 9 this season?

Borna has 7 assists. Same as Kent. And 2 less goals. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/top-scorers/assists
“So let’s stop making shite up.”

Feel like he's hit the ceiling at us Liverpool clearly knew he had, cant finish, shooting is atrocious, poor assist numbers considering the league, works hard and pulls players out of position etc to create space but honestly i think its time we look for better. He's another of this squad with the serial failure tag now starting to hang from his jersey, posted missing in the league cup final. We need better from our supposed "big game player".

Borna has 11 this season. Kent has 9.

Heed your own advice and maybe fact check this stuff first or stop believing whoever telling you this nonsense.
The link shows both have 7 in the league. Ultimately, it’s nice to have two players who regularly assist.

Fair enough. Does that mean 19 isn’t good enough?

Still a good option to have isn’t he?
For about £35k per week on what would likely be a 3 or 4 year contract, with 10 league assists and only 2 league goals playing against dross nearly every week?

Not really to be honest. I mean he’d be a good option if he was on a fraction of the money he’s on and willing sit on the bench a lot of the time.

Do you honestly, seriously believe that his form over last season and a half warrants an extension and a pay rise?
Probably not, but I’d prefer to have Kent, Sakala and 2 others in the squad than Sakala, Wright, Matondo and 1 other.

Kent’s wages for 2 years is the fee we paid for Matondo. I don’t think giving him an extension is as much of a big deal as being made out.

Probably not, but I’d prefer to have Kent, Sakala and 2 others in the squad than Sakala, Wright, Matondo and 1 other.

Kent’s wages for 2 years is the fee we paid for Matondo. I don’t think giving him an extension is as much of a big deal as being made out.

None of this will likely matter if he wants to move on anyway and like everything else it's just what used to be 10 minute chat in a pub extended by the nature of the internet.

So half the fee for Tillman. I know where I’d rather spend the money

Can we honestly justify another 3-4 year deal and however much on wages for as poor a return as we've got over the last couple of years?

Quality player when he's on it but we'll be having the same conversations every season about him in terms of goals/attitude/mentality when the results are poor.

We're useless at moving on from players. Sentimental Fc.

I don’t care what other players did. I’m only interested in what our players do.

For our investment his return has been very poor.

Close to 60 goal contributions in 137 league matches is nowhere near 'horrendous'. In fact, Naismith had similar despite playing a number of games up front, and nobody would have said he was a poor player for us. How many assists should he have had in his time here from missed sitters by strikers too? I'd say at least 5 per season.
So you are saying for an attacker who has only scored 28 goals in 4/5 years is ok?

I don’t care what other players did. I’m only interested in what our players do.

You can say that about everyone in the squad who isn’t Tav or Morelos. Doesn’t mean our squad isn’t better with him in it.

You can say that about everyone in the squad who isn’t Tav or Morelos. Doesn’t mean our squad isn’t better with him in it.
Exactly. So the thread is about should Kent get a new deal. Going by his stats absolutely not. His return simply is not good enough for a player of his supposed calibre

Exactly. So the thread is about should Kent get a new deal. Going by his stats absolutely not. His return simply is not good enough for a player of his supposed calibre

His stats are better than most in the squad. His calibre doesn’t matter - unless we’re planning on spending another £7m to replace him.

Considering what we’ve spent on guys like Roofe, Yilmaz, Matondo, Davies etc - signing a guy with Kent’s stats on a free for £30k a week would be a no brainer.

Stats can be skewed completely without appropriate context.

Ryan Kent had gone through a poor run of form no doubt but it coincided with the Team itself being poor. Credit where it is due, since Beale came in there has been a massive improvement in his game and he has clearly risen to the challenge of fitting into this more dynamic XI where speed of ball and movement are essential.

Ultimately it fits his game like a glove in the opposite way Gio's slow, and directionless rubbish killed it.

Its also worth remembering that Kent is an easy target when things go wrong because as a flair player and game changer the onus is on him to make things happen for Rangers. When they dont or dont enough he looks particularly lacking. However like any other player in a Team he needs his Teammates to play their part and few can say they were doing so enough during the last two seasons.

So take out the poor run Rangers had been on and look at what Kent contributed when we were playing well and now again with the introduction of Cantwell and Raskin. The midfield and forward lines are perfectly suited to him and he them. Not only has his creative play improved but his work rate has shot up and he is putting in a shift defensively as well which was not always the case. Hes looked around at the improvements and changes within the team and he has responded.

His shooting is still not hotshot but it never will be and its pointless to keep bringing it up because if he had that complete a game he would be at Rangers. He does however offer a tremendous amount and has been the best LW at the club in many, many years.

Nobody knows whether Ryan Kent wants to stay at Rangers and he may not yet know himself as he possibly waits to see what changes between now and the Summer.

However for me he is the player who has turned his game around the most of the existing squad since Beale came in and that is enough to earn a contract should he want to sign it. Id be happy to insert a min release clause if that is what he wanted as Id wager for him its more about opportunity than purely money.

Getting Kent to resign could be Rangers most shrewd piece of business this Summer.

I don’t think thats close to true. Outstanding in a season where we won the league and ripped team after team apart on the way to seville paying back his fee with room to spare.

Its good that 70% plus back the manager and can see how important he is to us.

For those saying 70/30 is a close split, if there was 10 goals in a game and one team scored 70% of them you wouldn’t be saying ot was a close game.

Trust the manager.

Given his alleged £7m fee, he hasn't done even close to enough.
If you can find an epl player who cost 7 million (or less) who was bought with a few years left on their contract who is better, let me know

E.g. Patterson 12 mil, Eduard 9 mil, bassey 23 mil, frimpong 10 mil

For where he was at, his contract, his age and what he's delivered.7 mil was a pretty fair price.

But now he's a free transfer effectively. I'd take him on a free

For about £35k per week on what would likely be a 3 or 4 year contract, with 10 league assists and only 2 league goals playing against dross nearly every week?

Not really to be honest. I mean he’d be a good option if he was on a fraction of the money he’s on and willing sit on the bench a lot of the time.
If you actually sit down and look at how much he’ll have cost us IF he signs a 3/4 year deal on £35,000 a week or more, then it is eye opening.

So you are saying for an attacker who has only scored 28 goals in 4/5 years is ok?

An assist is of the exact same value to the team as a goal. People get bogged down in goals and forget that. I think he could increase his end product, but I don’t care whether it comes in the form of goals or assists.

If you can find an epl player who cost 7 million (or less) who was bought with a few years left on their contract who is better, let me know

For where he was at, his contract, his age and what he's delivered.7 mil was a pretty fair price.

Whats he delivered?

Think a few need a reality check, if he performed like we all know what hes capable off week in week out then he’d be at Real Madrid.

Hoping he stays.

The 70/30 vote is a bit of an eye opener — if I were to guess I would have expected it to be closer to 50/50 or even 60/40 against based on the general opinion on here. Just shows that the regular core of posters on here aren't necessarily representative of the thoughts of the wider support, even within the confines of FF.

Absolute pish, he's playing in a pub league ffs!
A league where 7 mil should buy you the best player in it, and that holds true today never mind when we bought him.

Think a few need a reality check, if he performed like we all know what hes capable off week in week out then he’d be at Real Madrid.
Nothing like a bit of nonsense at dawn.

Of course he wouldnt be at Real Madrid but he would be in the EPL.

He may yet be but his inconsistency is part of the reason he is not there and is here.

It matters not though as hes still very effective for us when the Team around him perform and let him add his magic.

If it was Gio still here Id say Ryan Kent was defo gone in the Summer.

With Beale and a new horizon coming into view ...

Think it’s you that needs the reality check…Real Madrid?

Ryan Kent on his day has tore apart world class players, he has the ability to go past anyone when on it, take dortmund game for example, if he was playing like that every week he could go to the very top level, he doesnt do that every week though so he’ll never get to that level. On his day though id argue that hes the only player we have who’s capable of causing any side serious problems.

Back