Ryan Kent - The Clash of Opinions

Should he stay or should he go?

• Kent to stay at Rangers next season

Votes: 803 70.6%
  • Kent to leave Rangers in the Summer

Votes: 335 29.4%

• Total voters
I honestly don’t think he is good enough. Was always behind the likes of Wilson at Liverpool before he joined, and his end product just isn’t good enough or improved in all the time he has been at the club. He might on his day look exciting and direct but I think we need to be looking elsewhere! When Leeds were interested should have bit their hand off, he is never good enough to cut it in the EPL

Nothing like a bit of nonsense at dawn.

Of course he wouldnt be at Real Madrid but he would be in the EPL.

He may yet be but his inconsistency is part of the reason he is not there and is here.

It matters not though as hes still very effective for us when the Team around him perform and let him add his magic.

If it was Gio still here Id say Ryan Kent was defo gone in the Summer.

With Beale and a new horizon coming into view ...

I dont think he’ll ever be consistent enough tbh, but players who can perform consistently at what hes capable of will never be in our budget, i used to give him a pass for his inconsistency as he usually played well in the bigger games, you can’t make that argument for him now as for whatever reason hes not turned up. Our budget for players means the ones we get wont be perfect.

Honestly don't see why people don't rate him.

Obviously could improve, bit compared to wright, sakala, matondo.. He's streets ahead and effectively now a bosman signing

We would be bursting with joy if we signed the exact same player for free from another club next season
I beg to differ. He might be good for "free" but that's no use unless he is scoring goals and helping us achieve 56

I dont think he’ll ever be consistent enough tbh, but players who can perform consistently at what hes capable of will never be in our budget, i used to give him a pass for his inconsistency as he usually played well in the bigger games, you can’t make that argument for him now as for whatever reason hes not turned up. Our budget for players means the ones we get wont be perfect.
You cant really say hes not turned up since Michael Beale came in as Manager? Credit where its due because a new contract should be based on whats hes doing now and able to do next season rather than the dark days of Gio.

Hes really upped his game and specifically his work-rate for the team. Off the ball hes working in a way I dont think we ever say before, even when he was at his best. Thats a new sting to the bow and goes a long way to making up for a lack of goals and assists, which conversely are being picked up by the re-energised forward line and the likes of Cantwell.

You cant really say hes not turned up since Michael Beale came in as Manager? Credit where its due because a new contract should be based on whats hes doing now and able to do next season rather than the dark days of Gio.

Hes really upped his game and specifically his work-rate for the team. Off the ball hes working in a way I dont think we ever say before, even when he was at his best. Thats a new sting to the bow and goes a long way to making up for a lack of goals and assists, which conversely are being picked up by the re-energised forward line and the likes of Cantwell.
He was one of the worst players on the park in the biggest game of Beale’s tenure so far and the one that mattered most.

We hand him another 3 or 4 years on £30k + a year then we are absolute mugs.

Think a few need a reality check, if he performed like we all know what hes capable off week in week out then he’d be at Real Madrid.
Saying that folk need a reality check in the same sentence as saying Ryan Kent could play for Real Madrid.

%^*& me, that’s some take.

He is involved in so many of our goals though, and him being double marked all the time leaves space for others.

It was him that made the 4th goal v Hibs but he got no assist for that, and then he should have had an assist for Colak's hattrick but Colak messed up the finish. The Hibs manager then singled him out as unplayable and our most dangerous player. Pretty obvious that his apparent lack of numbers doesn't tell the full story.
Never said he wasn't, I said he doesn't score enough goals for a Rangers forward player, in fact his goal scoring record is absolutely pitiful, the hibs manager singled out the fat greasy Greek as a reincarnation of pep so forgive me for not giving a fryer tuck what he thinks.

I must be watching a different game to you as i dont think he's suited at all to this role beale's playing him in, id rather Hagi, Cantwell or Tillman there.

His best game was against hibs yet he still missed a few sitters and a couple of lesser chances.

The best ive seen of kent was the kent we got in europe under Gio but even under Gio he wasnt that good domestically, that's where the problem is in domestic games.

I must be watching a different game to you as i dont think he's suited at all to this role beale's playing him in, id rather Hagi, Cantwell or Tillman there.

His best game was against hibs yet he still missed a few sitters and a couple of lesser chances.

The best ive seen of kent was the kent we got in europe under Gio but even under Gio he wasnt that good domestically, that's where the problem is in domestic games.
What Rangers players do you rate out of interest?

in Beales biggest game so far he didn’t perform, id keep him if it was up to me, for the reason that when hes good he can be the difference in big games and we dont have a lot of players with the same impact on the game as much as him,

Ryan Kent on his day has tore apart world class players, he has the ability to go past anyone when on it, take dortmund game for example, if he was playing like that every week he could go to the very top level, he doesnt do that every week though so he’ll never get to that level. On his day though id argue that hes the only player we have who’s capable of causing any side serious problems.

Which world class players ?

Which world class players ?
Dortmund has world class players, Madrid friendly. Kent on his game can go past anyone, hes the only player id say we have when hes on it you’d fancy him to give any side problems. The problem is hes not on his game very often.

I wouldn’t be judging Kent on being a £7m player. I would be judging him on being a Bosman for £30k a week - because that’s where we are now.

If we can get a better player for that then sure, but I’d be gobsmacked if we could - considering we spent £3m on Matondo.

Dortmund has world class players, Madrid friendly. Kent on his game can go past anyone, hes the only player id say we have when hes on it you’d fancy him to give any side problems. The problem is hes not on his game very often.

Kent had very good games but go back and check the line ups.

There were no world class players he was up against

I wouldn’t be judging Kent on being a £7m player. I would be judging him on being a Bosman for £30k a week - because that’s where we are now.

If we can get a better player for that then sure, but I’d be gobsmacked if we could - considering we spent £3m on Matondo.
People need to get their minds away from the idea that every winger we sign from now to ad infinitum is going to be a flop like Matondo.

And even then, young Rabbi wouldn’t be the first player to take a season to bed in before starting to contribute.

It doesn’t matter if Kent was good in Europe or in a friendly against Real Madrid B 12/18 months ago though.

Christ, our fanbase needs a massive mentality switch. Still judging players on European performances while they’ve not delivered domestically. We need to get back to focussing on domestic success, our European campaigns in the last five years have guaranteed that we’ll generally always make a group stage for the next wee while and ensure £10-20m a season from it.

For a player of Kent’s supposed ability - and I believe he has plenty of it - he should be a game changer for us in 7/8 games out of 10 domestically, and he simply does not do that.

What Rangers players do you rate out of interest?
I think Tillman is quality and should be kept on.
Goldson is about as good as we can get at centre back, i think.
Raskin looks good.
Ridvan might be good, dont know yet.
Sakala is proving his worth
Hagi was very good before his injury and contributed a lot.
plus others.

I dont think the majority of players who've been here for years and contracts are up for renewal should be kept on, arfield, jack, kent, morelos and mcgregor should all be let go.

What players do you think we should let go at the end of the season?

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter if Kent was good in Europe or in a friendly against Real Madrid B 12/18 months ago though.

Christ, our fanbase needs a massive mentality switch. Still judging players on European performances while they’ve not delivered domestically. We need to get back to focussing on domestic success, our European campaigns in the last five years have guaranteed that we’ll generally always make a group stage for the next wee while and ensure £10-20m a season from it.

For a player of Kent’s supposed ability - and I believe he has plenty of it - he should be a game changer for us in 7/8 games out of 10 domestically, and he simply does not do that.

Kent has never been what both extremes of the argument have tried to kid themselves he was on - shite or amazing.

Kent's a hugely talented player who doesn't deliver anywhere near enough someone of his ability should do.

The argument for me is for £30k+ a week can we get better value for money for what Kent is currently delivering ? If your argument is "Aye but Matondo" then we may as well never step foot in the transfer market ever again

People need to get their minds away from the idea that every winger we sign from now to ad infinitum is going to be a flop like Matondo.

And even then, young Rabbi wouldn’t be the first player to take a season to bed in before starting to contribute.

Of course it isn’t. But if we were signing a Bosman from the Europa team of the season and 19 assists, we’d all be pretty pleased.

I think Tillman is quality and should be kept on.
Goldson is about as good as we can get at centre back, i think.
Raskin looks good.
Ridvan might be good, dont know yet.
Sakala is proving his worth
Hagi was very good before his injury and contributed a lot.
plus others.

I dont think the majority of players who've been here for years and contracts are up for renewal should be kept on, arfield, jack, kent, morelos and mcgregor should all be let go.

What players do you think we should let go at the end of the season?
McGregor Borna Helander Davis Arfield lundstram Kamara Hagi Roofe could all be let go for me.

I’m hoping he stays.
I think he contributes more than his “numbers” tell us.
Also, we know he isn’t worth £7m today but, it’d take a £7m purchase to replace him.

It all depends where you look

The Jungles paid less than £4M for George Michael and his 'numbers' blow kenty out the water

The main worry about losing Kent is do we have the funds to replace him with someone better?

Probably looking at needing a keeper, striker and RW that improve the starting 11 plus potentially money for Tillman and Kent's replacement and a few other players.

It's a tough ask with limited funds.

The lad has been a poor imitation of himself for most of the season. He seriously needs to practice shooting in training. However, his work rate cannot be questioned. The jury is still out for me.

The lad has been a poor imitation of himself for most of the season. He seriously needs to practice shooting in training. However, his work rate cannot be questioned. The jury is still out for me.
His form has picked up massively under Beale and crucially its his work-rate within this new Team that has made the difference for me. Hes become a vital part of how we play and want to develop, just as he was originally when he arrived.

I think we can forgive the Gio form and very few attacking players excelled during that time.
Excellent point. The cost has to be a real time consideration not retrospective.

Just as the questions of his form and contribution to the Team.

Back