Lewis Ferguson at Bologna

I’m only talking about spending fees on domestic players.

The mindset at Rangers is basically anything above free-500k isn’t worth it and all it’s done is make us miss out on homegrown players who go onto be worth more than we can ever afford.

Its not really though. Us and Celtic need to pay a premium to sign Scottish players. Which is why it doesnt happen so often anymore.

Remember when we tried to sign Goodwillie? Dundee Utd made it damn near impossible (thankfully).

Heres an extract from an article about that transfer.

"Ibrox sources then revealed that the manager and his boardroom bosses believe United chairman Stephen Thompson would not have done a deal with them at ANY price - and insisted their latest offer was worth MORE than Blackburn's bid."

Sometimes we need to remember who we are dealing with in Scotland. Its a backwards shithole of a country - where getting it up Rangers is more important than money and business.

Last edited:
No one could argue that the fees are high, well very high if thats what McKenna cost..... but i dont know how you can be so sure none of them improve the team or maybe even turn out to be the best signings or one of the most important players. Not exactly a Rangers squad on top form and passion/desire can make all the difference in this league.

Have you guys ever thought a scottish player was worth signing ?

I remember this website wanted Naismith and the money paid to Killie, 2m quid, i thought he was ok wasnt so sure at the price tho but he certainly turned out to be excellent value for money.

The way some on here go on about Scottish players is depressing. Can you imagine the outcry years ago if FF was around then. Davie Cooper from Clydebank, John Brown from Dundee, Bobby Russell from Shettleston Juniors, Ian Ferguson from St Mirren and so on, dismissed as crap by the FF experts.

Every signing is a gamble. How are they going to react to playing or a club like Rangers? Is the jersey going to be too heavy for them? How long will it take them to find their feet? This goes for every signing regardless of nationality.

Some Scottish guys will be great signings, others not so good. Some foreign guys will be super signings, others won't make it. To write players off just for being Scottish is just mental.

He's done the right thing going to Bologna he'll gain tonnes of experience and I think there would have been far too much pressure on him signing for Rangers due to his Dad and Uncle and would have been flayed alive if he didn't hit the ground running
Especially on here.

He's done the right thing going to Bologna he'll gain tonnes of experience and I think there would have been far too much pressure on him signing for Rangers due to his Dad and Uncle and would have been flayed alive if he didn't hit the ground running
Spot on. Frankly playing the way we have done recently wouldn’t have done him any favours. Good luck to the lad and maybe one day we’ll see him at Ibrox

Or Gio and Wilson already knew the budget and accepted buying him might be a risk and money better spent. I think what’s more frightening is this agenda of posters typing stuff as fact when they really don’t have a clue as to its accuracy, but it keeps them on point with the sack everyone brigade.
You’ve argued against your own later point ironically

It’s the fact they thought money was better spent elsewhere, like a matondo for the same price, twice for a left back to play as reserve for £5m that underline how fucking destructive gio and wilson have been.

But thanks for that.

I didn't see it at all. For all the goalscoring talk, he managed 4 goals in the league last season from open play. The season before, it was 3.

I don't discount penalties the way many seem to, but he wouldn't have been hitting them for us. I imagine he could have scored more goals in our team, but I also didn't think he'd start every game so that would have an effect there too.

He was very prone to a booking, was more about his physical than technical attributes, and even then I wouldn't say he was a standout that way either.

As I said, hopefully he does well, but I didn't, and still don't, believe he would have done particularly well with us. We'll never know for certain, just my belief based on what I saw of him.
I refer to my earlier post.

The way some on here go on about Scottish players is depressing. Can you imagine the outcry years ago if FF was around then. Davie Cooper from Clydebank, John Brown from Dundee, Bobby Russell from Shettleston Juniors, Ian Ferguson from St Mirren and so on, dismissed as crap by the FF experts.

Every signing is a gamble. How are they going to react to playing or a club like Rangers? Is the jersey going to be too heavy for them? How long will it take them to find their feet? This goes for every signing regardless of nationality.

Some Scottish guys will be great signings, others not so good. Some foreign guys will be super signings, others won't make it. To write players off just for being Scottish is just mental.

I don't disagree with your general sentiment on reactions to us signing Scottish players but, for what it's worth, prior to signing Coop and Bomber we had had sight of them tearing the arse off us during games; so I don't think there would have been adverse comment regarding them. In Ian Ferguson's case we paid a hefty fee and he was also very highly rated, so he too would not have sparked negativity. Bobby Russell might have brought negative comment had he not immediately shown how good a player he was. Tbh, I couldn't believe he had just come to us from Shettleston Juniors when I first saw him. He was a very talented footballer.

You’ve argued against your own later point ironically

It’s the fact they thought money was better spent elsewhere, like a matondo for the same price, twice for a left back to play as reserve for £5m that underline how fucking destructive gio and wilson have been.

But thanks for that.
Once again posting dense opinion as fact. But crack on.

Another fantastic goal by Lewis tonight in Serie A. Well worked and he's just getting better and better. Great to see and guess what, he's not afraid to shoot!! None of this sideways passing when in attack.

Last edited:
Its not really though. Us and Celtic need to pay a premium to sign Scottish players. Which is why it doesnt happen so often anymore.

Remember when we tried to sign Goodwillie? Dundee Utd made it damn near impossible (thankfully).

Heres an extract from an article about that transfer.

"Ibrox sources then revealed that the manager and his boardroom bosses believe United chairman Stephen Thompson would not have done a deal with them at ANY price - and insisted their latest offer was worth MORE than Blackburn's bid."

Sometimes we need to remember who we are dealing with in Scotland. Its a backwards shithole of a country - where getting it up Rangers is more important than money and business.
Agree 100% mate, for me Dave Cormack at Aberdeen falls into the same category as Stephen Thomson. Cormack detests us with a vengeance and his spitefulness would have made it virtually impossible to deal with him re signing Lewis Ferguson in the summer.

Just like the kid is doing and making an arse of some people…
I think you've probably misunderstood my posts. Do I think we should have signed him? Yes I do. Do I understand why we didn't? Yes I do. Do I think he'll do well? Yes I do.

alot of fans have not wanted to sign young scottish players like doig,hickey and ferguson now there all playing great in a league far superior to our us

I still don't get the negativity this guy gets off some of these rangers 'fans'. Actually Tim behaviour.

He is doin well in Italian top flight football and some of you lot want to bring him down. Look at the state of Rangers right now. Are you delusional? He's a very good player.

Cry more though.

Some of our fans are fucking wanks that’s why. Maybe it is just a general Scottish thing, haters see people doing well for themselves because it highlights how little they have achieved in their own life.

Some of our fans are fucking wanks that’s why. Maybe it is just a general Scottish thing, haters see people doing well for themselves because it highlights how little they have achieved in their own life.
I've said on this thread we should've signed him. But with Lewis you have to factor in the brains trust that is dad and Uncle and some unparalleled crap they've spoken over years.
That's always been a factor imo with many being so against signing him.

A month ago he was probably attainable for a January loan and a cheap summer move. He wasn’t getting a look in.

Now, no chance. He’s playing regular, forced his way in and probably out of our reach

A month ago he was probably attainable for a January loan and a cheap summer move. He wasn’t getting a look in.

Now, no chance. He’s playing regular, forced his way in and probably out of our reach
They'll flip him this coming summer for 15 million plus if he comes back after WC and continues way he's playing.

alot of fans have not wanted to sign young scottish players like doig,hickey and ferguson now there all playing great in a league far superior to our us

Not about not wanting them it's about value for money and having to pay over the odds for players. I've already said I would have taken Doig after his first season with that first season he was linked to Watford and they were told £5m. Then you see him in games last season and for me he wasn't the same player didn't look as if he had kicked on.

Ferguson at the price was too much money as well for a position we were stacked in. Yes we could have let Davis or Arfield go but if he was available for say £1-2m then we may have made a move but £3.5m was a lot of money for someone that wouldn't be anything more than a squad player for us.

Would Hickey have got the same game time he did in Italy to develop as a player bare in mind we had already signed Bassey by that point to be back up left back? All easier to say with hindsight as well.

I don’t know why folk keep saying that he may have been available for a January loan .. he only moved there at the start of the season. Was on a suspension for 3 games and then had a knock.
There is no way he would throw the towel in to what will be the biggest adventure of his life playing in Serie A.
I wish more Scots were like him, Hickey , Gauld etc.. would be great to play abroad.

Had a decent game away to Napoli tonight, definitely a hard place to play which I'm sure we'll soon find out. Very fast paced and physical game.

Moved pretty well passed the ball about into good positions. Wasn't the best tracking back but still quite young.

Wonder if he'll be one to watch when his contract is up, I think next year
He’s not coming here anytime soon. He has been touted by a switch to Juventus or one of the two big Milan teams this summer. Out chance was last summer and we never executed.

Back