Zak Lovelace

Archie Stevens was in the England 17s squad earlier this season, but, hasn't really been featuring too much for the B team. Maybe is why he hasn't been picked for this squad too.

With Morelos our only striker and Scott Wright our only wide option recently from bench I would like to think he'd make the bench soon a few times.

Clearly got a lot of talent.

Archie Stevens was in the England 17s squad earlier this season, but, hasn't really been featuring too much for the B team. Maybe is why he hasn't been picked for this squad too.
Think Stevens has picked up a few injuries this season. Lovelace seems to have picked up quite a few niggles this season too.

He's literally just 17 years old. He's got 12 goals in 25 appearances for the B team in the Lowland leauge. A great prospect, especially if he gets a good loan move next season. The notion that he could deliver more than Wright and Colak right now is insane.

If anyone mentions Derek Johnstone playing at 16 is there a sort of cyber dunce cap we can put on them?

From the little I've seen of him he looks like he's ready physically anyway.
It would be so much easier to give these young players minutes if we were just that bit more clinical at putting games to bed. 3 up after an hour type of thing.

I think you are right mate, moves to his final year next year.

Not sure what the rules are in attempting to extend his contract after year 1 right enough
Being truthful, I think it’s three years that U18’s can sign (used to always think it was two). However, we tend to offer two year contracts then offer a three year extension taking them to the age of 21.

So I’m just presuming it’s a two year deal he’s signed. I tried reading the rules before and it gave me a headache :))

Based on what exactly...
Not seen enough of him myself to form opinion on the young lad, from what I have seen seems very direct with good pace & touch knows where the goal is if coached the correct way could have a player on our hands, noticed few posters before saying he tends to go missing in games at times I think that is an age thing for whole B team as a group of players,if they are good enough I believe the manager will him his chance along with others

Our league is dross and we apparently have the best youths in the country so how come nobody’s seems to be “ready” until they are out of their teens? Genuinely can’t remember the last time a 18 year old was good enough to play even 15 games for us in a year.

There are bigger teams than us who bleed talent much younger so I just don’t get our reticence

This lad will be even better with better players around about him in my opinion.

If that means a loan next season fine but he might get in and around the first team squad before long. I am sure Beale will be having a good look at him with either of those two scenarios in mind.

He's literally just 17 years old. He's got 12 goals in 25 appearances for the B team in the Lowland leauge. A great prospect, especially if he gets a good loan move next season. The notion that he could deliver more than Wright and Colak right now is insane.

If anyone mentions Derek Johnstone playing at 16 is there a sort of cyber dunce cap we can put on them?
I've got no idea if he is good enough to feature on the bench for the top team, not seen enough of him. But just turning 17 isn't a reason for him not being capable of making an impact. We saw a very young player come on at Livingston not long ago, and there are plenty teenagers playing top team football in better leagues than ours. I do think we have a fear of trying youngsters. We play in a league where we dominate most games and play against massively inferior teams. If the management think this lad has what it takes, why not put him on the bench when we get to use 5 from 9 every week. There are games where blooding him is low risk, then it's up to the player to show he deserves to stay.

Seen Lovelace a lot at this point and if he continues on his current trajectory, he has the potential to be our record sale if he stays for long enough to break into the first team and play consistently. Has almost every single attribute required to make it at the top, top level

Our league is dross and we apparently have the best youths in the country so how come nobody’s seems to be “ready” until they are out of their teens? Genuinely can’t remember the last time a 18 year old was good enough to play even 15 games for us in a year.

There are bigger teams than us who bleed talent much younger so I just don’t get our reticence

I think football in general is seeing a shift, and we'll see fewer teenagers playing first team football over time as more and more players keep themselves strong and fit well into their thirties.

The likes of Lowry, King, Lovelace, Devine and some others look cracking at youth level, as they're both talented and physically stronger than most. Once they step up, you take away those physical advantages in the short term (in fact, they often look not quite ready in that respect), and there's plenty of players just as good as them in terms of ability.

There will be exceptions, talents that are top notch and guys who develop physically really early, but in general we're seeing teams move towards younger prospects playing at lower levels until they're about 20, at least.

I’ve said a few times but can’t believe he’s not been on the bench for us a few times. I think he’d offer a lot more than colak in certain games.
I’ll bet you can’t believe the Earth isn’t flat either!
Or Santa Claus isn’t real.

How long is his contract?
If he is a future star, you worry he'll end up targeted by an EPL club and be back down south before he can score any goals for our first team.
I think it’ll be till he’s eighteen.
I’m still sure he can’t sign for longer until you hit that date.

This is where people seem to go a bit awry, isn't it?

Čolak would look like an absolute superstar at the level Lovelace is playing at just now. That's no slight on Lovelace at all.
Im not sure he would. I've seen countless first team players move down into reserves and not look obvious they play at a higher level.

Its often not skill and physical, but how you mentally can embrace paying for Rangers 1st team.

Lovelace is an interesting prospect, looks to have all the attributes needed to make it.

Will he push on and become what he can be? No one really knows at this stage.

There will be exceptions, talents that are top notch and guys who develop physically really early, but in general we're seeing teams move towards younger prospects playing at lower levels until they're about 20, at least.
So where are our exceptions? Where are our top notch talent who can play at 17, 18 even 19? That’s 20 year of youth development and it’s not happened yet

Look at Benfica. How are they buying or developing youths to play 100 games and be sold for tens of millions before they are even in their 20s? How? What’s the difference?

If this was the golden age of teenage football as you imply and they are going to take even longer to breakthrough we really are fucked. For what it’s worth you’re wrong, bigger teams than us invest in and trust youth players more and more. Madrid have just signed Endrick. Age 16, cost £50m. Nobody is expecting him to take 5 year to get into the Real team

Being truthful, I think it’s three years that U18’s can sign (used to always think it was two). However, we tend to offer two year contracts then offer a three year extension taking them to the age of 21.

So I’m just presuming it’s a two year deal he’s signed. I tried reading the rules before and it gave me a headache :))
I’m going back to Barrie McKay’s time and am certain he couldn’t sign, for more than two years, until he was eighteen,

So where are our exceptions? Where are our top notch talent who can play at 17, 18 even 19? That’s 20 year of youth development and it’s not happened yet

Look at Benfica. How are they buying or developing youths to play 100 games and be sold for tens of millions before they are even in their 20s? How? What’s the difference?

If this was the golden age of teenage football as you imply and they are going to take even longer to breakthrough we really are fucked. For what it’s worth you’re wrong, bigger teams than us invest in and trust youth players more and more. Madrid have just signed Endrick. Age 16, cost £50m. Nobody is expecting him to take 5 year to get into the Real team

You've picked one example there in Endrick. Then you've mentioned Benfica, who are in a completely different stratosphere to us in terms of finances and the players they can sign.

But in the Champions League group stage this year, the biggest tournament with the biggest clubs, it was one of our players who was among the most minutes as a teenager. And Leon King wouldn't have seen anywhere near as much time had Goldson not picked up an injury.

If bigger teams were relying on youth players more and more, King wouldn't be as high on that list.

There will always be some teenagers getting games at big clubs, but it's becoming more difficult. You need to make spaces for them, and players are recovering better and playing longer than ever before, so managers will pick the guys who are most likely to win them the games.

We can't say it's been 20 years of developing players. It got ripped apart a decade ago and we had to start again in 2015 or so. Despite that, players like Hutton, McGregor, Patterson, Fleck, Adam, Wylde and Burke had influences on league winning teams.

Right this second, we have Lowry, King and Devine in the first team squad. In a few years, I'd expect the likes of Lovelace and Rice to have joined them, if we can keep them.

The Bear Pit formula- The less a player has been seen, the greater his ability.

Whilst I do think Lovelace is good and has lots of potential (albeit not sure he’s ready for the first team) - this comment is so true.

In very recent times…. We’ve seen it with Hagi (who many wanted dropped before his injury), Yilmaz (who played about 200 mixed bag minutes before injury), Souttar (who had a shocker in his only game pre injury), Lowry (who has looked good and also looked like a kid in a man’s game when in the first team)

Also very relevant for our GK’s. Although I think the penny has dropped with most that the decision over McGregor or McLaughlin is like the decision whether you want kicked in the nuts with the right foot or the left foot.
Even McCrorie has turned into prime Buffon on here, but couldn’t get a game for Livi and now this is the third rangers manager not picking him.

Not saying these players aren’t going to be good, but if they were out just a little bit longer - FF would have them short listed for the Ballon d’Or :))

We’d play Steven Davis on one leg before giving prospects a decent chance!

Back