2023 Challenge Cup Final

academical

For the benefit of maybe three people on this forum who might be interested, the 30th Scottish Challenge Cup Final is being played this Sunday at the Falkirk Stadium, 4:15pm kick-off, and is being televised live on BBC Alba.

Raith Rovers versus Hamilton Academical

Although the competition has been running for 33 years, there have been two seasons when the competition was suspended, one for lack of sponsorship, and one for COVID. The pandemic also meant the final wasn’t played two years ago, and finalists Raith Rovers and Inverness Caledonian Thistle shared the trophy.

That means one of this year’s finalists, Raith, are going for their third trophy in a row. Their first win in 2014 we can gloss over; their win last season was over Queen of the South. So this is their third actual appearance in a final.

Accies have played in four finals, and this will be our fifth. Five finals, five venues, five opponents: v Ayr in Motherwell, v Morton in Paisley, v St Mirren in Airdrie, v Falkirk in Livingston, and now v Raith in Falkirk. The first two won, and the last two lost. Five finals in three decades might not be that many, but Accies were ineligible for ten seasons due to being in the top flight.

Raith are favourites, but put your mortgage, your wife and weans, and everything you own, on Accies causing an upset to lift our third trophy, 30 years after our last in 1993. You heard it here first.

Cheers OP, any sort of competitive domestic football during international weekend is welcomed. Will definitely tune in.

Hope Hamilton win too

For the benefit of maybe three people on this forum who might be interested, the 30th Scottish Challenge Cup Final is being played this Sunday at the Falkirk Stadium, 4:15pm kick-off, and is being televised live on BBC Alba.

Although the competition has been running for 33 years, there have been two seasons when the competition was suspended, one for lack of sponsorship, and one for COVID. The pandemic also meant the final wasn’t played two years ago, and finalists Raith Rovers and Inverness Caledonian Thistle shared the trophy.

That means one of this year’s finalists, Raith, are going for their third trophy in a row. Their first win in 2014 we can gloss over; their win last season was over Queen of the South. So this is their third actual appearance in a final.

Accies have played in four finals, and this will be our fifth. Five finals, five venues, five opponents: v Ayr in Motherwell, v Morton in Paisley, v St Mirren in Airdrie, v Falkirk in Livingston, and now v Raith in Falkirk. The first two won, and the last two lost. Five finals in three decades might not be that many, but Accies were ineligible for ten seasons due to being in the top flight.

Raith are favourites, but put your mortgage, your wife and weans, and everything you own, on Accies causing an upset to lift our third trophy, 30 years after our last in 1993. You heard it here first.
Good Luck @academical. Hopefully your team can do you proud (they couldn't do any worse than we did in that final you glossed over:( ).

Last edited:
For the reason @academical is a great contributor in the lounge and the fact I despise Raith for number of reasons Turnbull Hutton and Val McDermid being the two main ones, I want Accies to win.
Raith are my home team and the team I supported as a kid. I was in the directors box as their guest at the recent cup tie.

But I`m with you.

Edited to add: Just to make it clear. I hate RR.

Last edited:
A 1 cup win out of 4 success rate in this pishy cup really summed up our shambolic time down in the lower leagues.

Will be watching mate, mon the Accies

Back