John Lambie accused of covering up sexual abuse at Thistle

SilvioBerlusconi

INVESTIGATION: John Lambie is revered as a footballing great. A mercurial and complex man, his reputation has been tainted by his apparent failure to prevent sexual attacks by his physio

He was a famous and much-loved Scottish football manager but the late John Lambie, who led Partick Thistle and Hamilton Academical to success, has been accused of failing to halt a sexual predator who preyed on younger players
His ink-stained fingers and fascination with the pranks of Dennis the Menace led classmates to refer to him as “Beano”. In his 4 spells at the helm of Partick Thistle — Glasgow’s underdog third force — the former milkman drove a cart through the staid world of Scottish football

Shrouded in cigar smoke and with a face as craggy as a West Lothian slag heap he was hailed as a wisecracking working-class hero

The results he delivered, however, were not to be sniffed at. On January 31 1987 a makeshift squad of journeymen he had assembled at lowly Hamilton Academical dumped Graeme Souness’s Rangers, the most expensive team then ever assembled north of the border, out of the Scottish Cup
Lambie’s habit of producing miracles on a shoestring, and reviving the club’s fortunes, led to him being installed in Partick Thistle’s hall of fame. Dying in 2018, they announced the North Stand, home to their most vociferous fans, would be permanently renamed in his honour

However, disturbing new evidence has emerged which suggests that the clown prince of Whitburn brought something far more noxious than avian pick-me-ups into his dressing rooms
Gary, a gifted 20-year-old, was left in searing pain when he sustained an injury playing for Partick in the summer of 1991. It was nothing, however, compared to the life-changing agony he suffered when he reported for treatment with John Hart, the club physiotherapist

️ “Hart was a greasy wee guy who was bursting out of his tracksuit,” he recalled. “He had a horrible shuffling walk and his head was always down facing the ground. He looked exactly how you’d imagine a sex offender to look".

That is exactly what he proved to be

️ “Hart started off asking me creepy questions about my sex life and kept insisting he needed to massage the glute muscles in my backside,” he said. “He started touching the insides of my thighs and then my groin area"
Horrified, he confided in Lambie, a man he revered and respected, and begged him to intervene.

️“John laughed it off. It was like it was some kind of joke. He told me that was just how Hart was"

He reluctantly returned for treatment only for the abuse to escalate
Haunted by flashbacks and dogged by depression his footballing career, which had begun with him representing his country at under-21 level, failed to reach the heights it should have done

️ “It destroyed me mentally,” he said. “I lived my life in darkness for many, many years. It was heartbreaking for my family to see me in such pain."

Hart, in contrast, received praise for the “innovations” he brought to the club
Last December, Gary wrote to Gerry Britton, a former Partick striker who is now the club’s chief executive, and made a new appeal for help.

“It is simply incredible that John Lambie continues to hold pride of place in your hall of fame. He should be in the hall of shame"

Gary, speaking out after legal efforts to hold the club to account proved fruitless, insists he has received no response from Britton or anyone else at the club
Partick Thistle said “ongoing legal proceedings at that time” meant that “direct correspondence was not considered appropriate”.

The club stressed that Gary’s legal representatives had been informed of their stance
A spokesman insisted that the safety and wellbeing of children and young people involved with the club was of paramount importance.

️ “Everyone associated with Thistle is appalled at the extent of allegations of historic abuse in Scottish football"
Confidants of “the gaffer” insist he took swift action to root out the predator within Partick Thistle.

️ “My understanding was that John wanted rid of Hart as soon as the allegations came to light. I heard he was raging about it"
Partick Thistle confirmed that Hart had been banished from the club in 1992, a year after Gary’s pleas and warnings appeared to fall on deaf ears.

The club said: “As soon as the alleged abuse was raised in 1992 the club dismissed the individual with immediate effect"

However, it has emerged that when he died of alcoholism in 1995, without ever facing charges or being questioned by police, Patrick Thistle paid lavish tributes to him

The club said: “As soon as the alleged abuse was raised in 1992 the club dismissed the individual with immediate effect"

However, it has emerged that when he died of alcoholism in 1995, without ever facing charges or being questioned by police, Patrick Thistle paid lavish tributes to him

A cnt of a situation to be honest.

It’s such a weird culture isn’t it all these macho men involved in at least knowing and none of Have the moral code to call the Police .

Lambie is only one how about John Hughes and McCaffery link eg and of course the Great Scandal of the East

Last edited:
He approached the club last December after saying nothing for decades. Why is it only newsworthy now, is there progress in a certain other case?

It seems that ahead of whatever is waiting on court for Celtic there is a significant amount of effort going into creating a perceived landscape where sexual abuse was evident across Scottish football…. so it’ll be a football problem, not an individual club problem.

Edit:
I’ll add to this that it is disgraceful that the media and football authorities have been so reluctant to cover this topic over decades where there were whispers and rumours about it.
If punters on a messageboard hear an individual’s name and are aware of stories about then, it is highly unlikely that football reporters, news journalists and football’s governing bodies were not also aware.
The timing of a lot of this coming to light just doesn’t sit right with me.

Last edited:
It seems that ahead of whatever is waiting on court for Celtic there is a significant amount of effort going into creating a perceived landscape where sexual abuse of children was evident across Scottish football…. so it’ll be a football problem, not an individual club problem.
It is a football problem. It was just a far bigger problem at Parkheid where it was kept secret and swept under the carpet despite multiple coaches being paedophiles and assaulting hundreds of kids.

It is a football problem. It was just a far bigger problem at Parkheid where it was kept secret and swept under the carpet despite multiple coaches being paedophiles and assaulting hundreds of kids.
Certainly is a football problem and the safeguarding protocols that are in place now across grassroots and upwards are evidence of football dealing with this.

I equally have a view of how the media agenda works in Scotland and, “it was everywhere” looks like it’ll become an argument.

Certainly is a football problem and the safeguarding protocols that are in place now across grassroots and upwards are evidence of football dealing with this.

I equally have a view of how the media agenda works in Scotland and, “it was everywhere” looks like it’ll become an argument.
And every club is equally culpable

And then some bright spark in the SFA suggests a fund for the victims, where everyone puts in an equal share

It seems that ahead of whatever is waiting on court for Celtic there is a significant amount of effort going into creating a perceived landscape where sexual abuse was evident across Scottish football…. so it’ll be a football problem, not an individual club problem.

Edit:
I’ll add to this that it is disgraceful that the media and football authorities have been so reluctant to cover this topic over decades where there were whispers and rumours about it.
If punters on a messageboard hear an individual’s name and are aware of stories about then, it is highly unlikely that football reporters, news journalists and football’s governing bodies were not also aware.
Wouldnt neccessarily mean they are guilty of the gossip .

However in the East we have a stream of accusations , offences and convictions so that is accepted as Fact by any standards.

Wouldnt neccessarily mean they are guilty of the gossip .

However in the East we have a stream of accusations , offences and convictions so that is accepted as Fact by any standards.
There’s definitely an element of gossip… but when gossip follows people there is often a reason. This is where the media’s reluctance to cover any of this until recent times just doesn’t sit well with me.

And if they were aware of these rumours and didn’t want to investigate it then they should have been notifying the police for them to do so.

People saying, why didn't he go to the police or why not just smash the lady's front bottom are offside here.

The lad was 20 years old and went to the person he thought would sort it and it was laughed off. Where do you go from there? It's responses like that that put victims off from coming forward in the first place. Once one person treats you like that, it's unlikely you are going to go try report it elsewhere.

Lambie was in a position of power and, if the guys story is true, he failed the (at the time) young man. Incidences like this is why women don't report sexual harassment and abuse. They feel they won't be taken seriously.

And to say he should have just smashed the lady's front bottom, that's probably a reaction a lot of guys would have but if we have learned anything from all the sorry stories of abuse we have unfortunately heard of it's that these monsters know how to pick their victims sadly.

The guy has my sympathies.

So did he want lambie to go the police. He would still have to answer the same questions
He was probably looking for support from Lambie and the hierarchy at the club before going to the police. If the club showed they were 100% behind the lad then perhaps the outcome would have been different, fact is from the manager to the board the club failed the lad

So they've named a stand after one of these enablers, wonder if a statue outside their ground will now follow, sure I've seen that somewhere before :rolleyes:

Just reading through the post's here and I notice a few posts saying what I was starting to notice and that is mentioning under age sex being mentioned in Scottish football , which to my mind makes me think how convenient for a certain Club at this particular time to shelter under the protective blanket of
calling it under age sex in Scottish football as though WE ARE All GUILTY for allowing this to happen and I hope that our Club makes it very clear in the media that no such things happened at RFC and never will .

Another arsehole bringing Rangers into a story that has absolutely nothing to do with us
To be fair he’s only mentioning us in a football context.

It does take some skill however to pen an article about historical sexual abuse at a Glasgow football club without so much as mentioning the Beasts from the East.

You get the distinct impression the rags in Scotland are far more concerned with trying to uncover abuse at other clubs than actually tackling the grim tsunami of it cascading out of the Beggardome.

Edit:

The Scottish MSM and the governing bodies are absolutely complicit in the decades long cover up, that has seen more abuse, a lack of awareness, or justice for the victims.

We know why this is. They'd rather protect their favorite club, than the kids that have suffered for years, decades.

They get half their 'stories' from on here and will no doubt be reading this thread, so hang your heads in shame, you repugnant shower of enablers.

Nothing was stopping the chap who was allegedly assaulted going to the police.

In fact Hart was just sacked after an allegation
It’s not an easy thing for a sexual assault victim to go to the police.

Those who prey on them know it.

The victim will be disbelieved, shamed and have their life ripped to shreds to get a conviction.
Then there’s the feelings of shame, the lack of self worth and the distrust they need to carry for the rest of their lives.

It’s not like someone stealing your car.

Back