Memories of Glasgow amateur football teams from the 70s and 80s

Billy, true, they were the best teams up in Easterhouse.

The Gill team I played against had a load of players who made it.

My brothers Blue Star team not only beat Gill regularly, but they won the Scottish Cup. Not a bad wee achievement for a wee team from the east end.
I thought Blue Star were from Barlanark as well.

Played against Auchengill for Garrowhill Itd. when I was about 10 or 11. Scott MaGarvey played for them and had an entourage because he had signed for Man Utd. Bizarre. They were a good team.

Auchengill [Easterhouse] were a good setup. Always had strong teams.
My first medal was an under 11 Scottish Cup runners up medal playing for Auchengill. We lost to Dundee Fairmuir in the final on a grass park, which was alien to us in the late seventies. Easterhouse had loads of red ash parks next to Lochend secondary and Westwood secondary, the 2 non denominational secondary schools in Easterhouse at that time.
I still remember 2 coach loads leaving from Easterhouse early on a Saturday morning for the trip to Dundee. Happy days indeed.

Last edited:
Do you remember a lad called Paul Harvey - what a player he was, I often wondered what happened to him; if he ever made it.
I know Paul.

He was outstanding as a young player and went to Man Utd. Unfortunately, he never made it and ended up playing with Airdrie , Raith Rovers, and a few others.

I'm sure he played with Blue Star.

Guys like Alex Cleland, Billy McKinlay ( Badger) both from Springboig, and Alex Rae also played for them.

Most notable players to come out of Barlanark are probably Pat Nevin, Graham Dorrans and Grigo Yossarian. He was a fucking animal.

I was secretary for Muirend AFC in 70s and 80s. We won the Scottish Amateur league more times that any other and from what I remember won all the local cups. The second team played in the West of Scotland league and I think won that from time to to time. Quite a few players went professional and did well. One year we Played St Mirren in a warm up game and beat them 1- 0.
Sadly we had a spell when three of our main committee members died or were unable to continue through illness. We also lost the manager.
Few year later players ended up running the club with the result it went down and down and eventually was wound up. Sad end to what was a great club.
The local derby was against Giffnock North and we could easily have a crowd of over 200.
The biggest doing I ever got was against Muirend in a cup match at Croftfoot playing for KPR. We thought we'd be cute and opted to play the game on the infamous black ash pitch. Did I say doing? the score was only 3 0 but we literally never got a kick. I only found out Muirend had folded around 4 years when I was taking in a game down at the ground. Sad times.

Easterhouse teams - wellhouse, St. Benedict’s and Lochend tight red ash parks very hard to beat when they played at home, well house park was like a mini stadium with the bankings and school surrounding it with about 200 drinking and watching. Loved it.
Wellhouse played their home matches at Easthall Primary in Easterhouse back then.
It was an abnormally big pitch for a primary school, and as you say, the banking was like a small grass terracing.
I think the crowds that sat drinking on the grass put the fear into many a visiting team and gave Wellhouse the edge. It was quite an intimidating place.

I thought Blue Star were from Barlanark as well.

Played against Auchengill for Garrowhill Itd. when I was about 10 or 11. Scott MaGarvey played for them and had an entourage because he had signed for Man Utd. Bizarre. They were a good team.

You must be the same age as me BR. I played against Scott.

Cracking player. Wee Bobby W & Jimmy Doyle made it as well.

I know Paul.

He was outstanding as a young player and went to Man Utd. Unfortunately, he never made it and ended up playing with Airdrie , Raith Rovers, and a few others.

Guys like Alex Cleland, Billy McKinlay ( Badger) both from Springboig, and Alex Rae also played for them.

Most notable players to come out of Barlanark are probably Pat Nevin, Graham Dorrans and Grigo Yossarian. He was a fucking animal.

You’re a funny guy …….

Wee Pat actually played with my brother at Blue Star before he joined THEM.

Pub teams.
Used to be a tourney in Partick.
Rosevale. Smiddy. Dolphin and probably others. Memory fails.
The Rosevale v Smiddy was always a meaty affair.
Played on the pitch across from FF bingo.
I played and won in it for the Lismore, wasn't called that back then. It was in a cage with red ash park. Blood and snotters if I remember right.

My first medal was an under 11 Scottish Cup runners up medal playing for Auchengill. We lost to Dundee Fairmuir in the final on a grass park, which was alien to us in the late seventies. Easterhouse had loads of red ash parks next to Lochend secondary and Westwood secondary, the 2 non denominational secondary schools in Easterhouse at that time.
I still remember 2 coach loads leaving from Easterhouse early on a Saturday morning for the trip to Dundee. Happy days indeed.

Two bus loads from Easterhouse Coop ? You should have taken that city over mate lol

My god, those after match fights in Glasgow Green in the early 1970s take some beating. The best laugh was when I played at Cowlairs and one of our players got kicked in the balls late in the game and had to be carried to the dressing room. At that time a popular kid’s toy was Clackers - two hard plastic balls on a long piece of string that made a loud cracking noise when banged together. When our guy was lying on the flooring howling one of our team borrowed a set of Clackers from a kid and came into the dressing room shouting ”It’s OK Davie! I found them!”

I know Paul.

I know Graham very well.
I played with his uncle at semi-pro level in Blackpool.
Thanks for the info on Paul.

I was very sad to hear of the recent passing of big Stevie Cameron who was involved with King’s Park Rangers over many years. Life is very cruel at times. RIP Stevie.

I know Paul.

:D :D :D

You'd only wind Neil up once then !!!!
You're probably right because at the end of that season I moved to Ayrshire. Reason I remember that game so well is due to the fact a young Rangers player scored the winner against them at Hampden, we were listening to it in the car coming back from Rhu.

Not sure mate it is so long ago. Ogilvie might ring a bell. We had some great managers last one being Davie Thomson. At my age I have difficulty remembering my own name. Good that we played in blue with the West team in red.

I played for Thornliebank in the Scottish 2nd division, remember Giffnock North, Milngavie wanderers as 2 of the bigger clubs. Loved the trips to Arrochar, Rothesay Brandane, Campbeltown. The village’s always had the best pitches, except Greenock high school black ash pitch.
Thornliebank was an awful pitch. I went to Woodfarm and played on the Robslee pitches.

We used to win all our home games because the others never played on grass!

I played for Thornliebank in the Scottish 2nd division, remember Giffnock North, Milngavie wanderers as 2 of the bigger clubs. Loved the trips to Arrochar, Rothesay Brandane, Campbeltown. The village’s always had the best pitches, except Greenock high school black ash pitch.
After Lennox Amateurs from 12-16 then briefly a few months at Knightswood BC under 17s with Haigy as manager started playing for Glasgow University.

Played all over the place from colleges league Saturday mornings to West of Scotland League and teams in Scottish amateur league.
Sometimes teams had to be selected based on car/driver availability for the distant games. Remember Arrochar away in typical horrendous weather and long journey back 6 of us in old VW beetle with only one working windscreen wiper.
Rothesay away I got sent off after 15 mins for retaliation…..a very long day.
Great fun if results often mixed and kept playing after I left Uni for a while until gave up Saturday football when Souness joined and I was working and could afford home and away

Played various age groups late 60s early 70's and no always in my real age!. Sometimes going round on a Friday with big Andy Morton to check players knew if selected and where when - no phones.
We probably played in the same team at some point. Big Andy (RIP) was a true gentleman.

Not sure mate it is so long ago. Ogilvie might ring a bell. We had some great managers last one being Davie Thomson. At my age I have difficulty remembering my own name. Good that we played in blue with the West team in red.

Oggy ended up managing East Kilbride Thistle when they played the Mockits in the Big Scottish Cup seven years ago , losing 2-0...

Once seen , never forgotten

Late 70s there was an international youth/amateur tournament held in Pollok Park that included Possil YM, Eastercraigs, Glasgow United etc and a few crack German and Swiss sides. All the games were watchable and interesting to see the various styles of play.

I have been taking an evening walk through the Queen's Park recreation ground during lockdown and the memories of BB football come flooding back. Really sad all the pitches have gone ththough
When my late wife was going through her cancer treatment in the Vicky a couple of times I wandered over to the old Queens Park Rec. Really sad to see the dressing rooms are still there but what memories came flooding back playing BB football.

I know Paul.

Most notable players to come out of Barlanark are probably Pat Nevin, Graham Dorrans and Grigo Yossarian. He was a fucking animal

Wellhouse played their home matches at Easthall Primary in Easterhouse back then.
It was an abnormally big pitch for a primary school, and as you say, the banking was like a small grass terracing.
I think the crowds that sat drinking on the grass put the fear into many a visiting team and gave Wellhouse the edge. It was quite an intimidating place.

I also played on that Easthall pitch on Wellhouse Road. If my memory is correct, and it does sound a bit mad, but I'm sure there was a grass football pitch at the back of the Wardie Road shops. There was even a wee pavilion / dressing rooms as well.

Late 70s there was an international youth/amateur tournament held in Pollok Park that included Possil YM, Eastercraigs, Glasgow United etc and a few crack German and Swiss sides. All the games were watchable and interesting to see the various styles of play.
Finals were usually at Celtic Park IIRC. My old man ran one of the Glasgow United teams at the time.

Edit, it was the Eastercraigs Youth Tournament.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic BB football on the south side of Glasgow pitches were either at Carnwadric (grass), South Pollok (near Bellarmine school) which I think were also grass. Other side of the city l remember playing at Blairdardie (red ash) for Woodside sec. school.

Did a bit of online research on this and I think Bayern Munich and Neuchatel Xamax were the clubs involved. Impressive line-up of some great youth teams though. I think the sectional games were played at Pollok Park and Holm Park and the finals at the scumdome.

Back in the 50's and 60's amateur football was absolutely massive in Glasgow and its surrounding areas. In Glasgow, as well as the two main amateur leagues (the Scottish And West of Scotland), there were First and Secondary Class Juvenile Football Leagues, BB Football Leagues, Churches Football Leagues, Saturday Morning Football Leagues, a Tuesday Afternoon League (that used to be early closing day for many retail premises in Glasgow), Boys Club Leagues and the Schools Football Leagues. On Sunday afternoons there used to be hundreds of 'bounce games' on the public pitches in the city. There were loads of great teams and many great players. I've personally got a load of memories as I used to run a Saturday morning team. Back then not too much attention was paid to the Saturday morning amateurs. It's ironic that in the Glasgow area it is the one League that has actually grown in strength down through the years.
Jim, you may recall Jimmy Laird, referee turned coach, he was one of my friends ( and your younger brothers ) Pal's Dad
Run an Amature team called Shettlsston Violet, they won a record 7 trophies in one season. Played most of there home games at the old Dennistoun Waverly ground in Haghill

Last edited:
Helenvale Sunday league was select teams with loads of great players from east end.
cosmos were elite select team used to play challenge matches had to be top player to get into their team did not get beat very often.

Bobby Dinnie was a true gent in the time i was at the YM.
My brother in Law ' Mushy' played with Possil, went to New York with them, also won player of the Tournament at Dunoon, Went to Sunderland, same time as Bobby Russell but it never worked out for he both of them, I sometimes wonder what happened to the boy Russell

I used to play for Inter Mill Inn which was the pub we drank in Belvidere. Our big rivals were Red Star Belgrove and of course A C Milanda.
I never knew that, most of the lads that played there were pals of mines, I think the four Millers played in the same team
Belvidere ? Do you mean Bellgrove?

Last edited:
First time I met Graeme Souness, he asked me if i played football when I was younger, ' I replied that when I was a teenager, if I was given the right coaching, proper diet and stayed in two nights before a game, I would have been wasting everyones time'
He said I was the first Glaswegian that he had ever met that told him he could't have been a Professional Footballer

Helenvale Sunday league was select teams with loads of great players from east end.
cosmos were elite select team used to play challenge matches had to be top player to get into their team did not get beat very often.
Shuggie Farrell was probably the most gifted footballer I have ever seen that wasn't professional

Does anyone remember Milton Madrid? Going way back to the 50s and 60s Glasgow.
My Dad remembers Milton Milan and Milton Madrid.

Not sure if they were officially organised teams, think they were street kids teams. I'm not too sure but think Milton Madrid was kids from Mingulay / Torogay St area.

Back in the 50's and 60's amateur football was absolutely massive in Glasgow and its surrounding areas. In Glasgow, as well as the two main amateur leagues (the Scottish And West of Scotland), there were First and Secondary Class Juvenile Football Leagues, BB Football Leagues, Churches Football Leagues, Saturday Morning Football Leagues, a Tuesday Afternoon League (that used to be early closing day for many retail premises in Glasgow), Boys Club Leagues and the Schools Football Leagues. On Sunday afternoons there used to be hundreds of 'bounce games' on the public pitches in the city. There were loads of great teams and many great players. I've personally got a load of memories as I used to run a Saturday morning team. Back then not too much attention was paid to the Saturday morning amateurs. It's ironic that in the Glasgow area it is the one League that has actually grown in strength down through the years.
Yes familiar with that although before my time as my Dad played BB, then went on to Juveniles, then Amateurs and heard all the stories from him.

We probably played in the same team at some point. Big Andy (RIP) was a true gentleman.
He sure was. Used to go up his house he had a bro younger than me Harry? who I seemed to rem played in goals and I think it was idea was to name the team - Hearts was his team and they lived in the shadow of the Tower either Binns Rd or Bavelaw St? When I was 13 I think Andy had me playing in under 12s and in under 15's! Played in street leagues over in Barlanark and sometimes in the black ash pitches where the M8 is next to BarL. A lot of our team had all played together for the Primary and the BB then the Sec I gave up 15/16 and even that was cause he would keep saying he was a player down. I'm sure he did but I never saw Andy lose his temper he was so easy going. Often he come down my house on Friday get a cup a tea with us and then we'd do a tour o the players including up to Provan Hall where it could get a bit hairy for us. I lost touch when I stopped playing left school etc but I know the teams went on and I rem hearing the sad news of his passing.

Back