MOTM Poll Rangers v Servette - 19:45 Wednesday - BBC TV

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some positives and some negatives.

We're certainly better than Saturday. When Servette were closing us down aggressively in the first half, it opened up a bit of space for us to play in as their players moved out of their position to chase the Rangers player in possession. We were passing the ball quite quickly and exploiting that space with our movement. It was good and Servette were struggling.

Negatives? When Servette went down to 10 they sat back and became ultra negative. We struggled to make enough happen. We had chances. It was quick play and good balls into the box that set up chances for Lammers and Dessers. But all too often we seemed to want to slow the game down. You can't do that against an ultra defensive side because they'll give you as much of the ball as you want and they'll challenge you to break them down.

We really don't look comfortable slowing the game down and trying to break teams down with passing. We're at our best playing higher tempo and whipping balls into the box. We need to play with a high press and we need to play with far more pace and directness. Not for one second suggesting that we launch balls forward, but we need to be turning 3-4 sideways or backwards passes into 1 or 2 before we get the ball forward.

Brilliant first 20 minutes.

The rest of the game has been absolutely woeful, I'm going off Beale if I'm honest, and I wanted him in.

The team just doesn't look right. There was one passage of play in the first half where it was lovely one touch football and the rest of the game has just been aimless crossing.

The crossing worked a couple of times with decent deliveries by barisic but it seems that's the only thing we look to do.

So many early crosses which do absolutely nothing, I really can't understand it.
What is it that happens after we play well and look like a dangerous team? I can’t work it out. Do the opposition adjust mid-game, do we drop off in tempo deliberately for some reason?

We look like a different team from the first 20-25 minutes. I don’t get it.

What is it that happens after we play well and look like a dangerous team? I can’t work it out. Do the opposition adjust mid-game, do we drop off in tempo deliberately for some reason?

We look like a different team from the first 20-25 minutes. I don’t get it.
Because they shit it when the pressures on.

The howls of horror from your crowd every time anyone tries and fails to play a bit of penetrative football no wonder the players have kittens every time they get the ball in a decent position. It's fine to expect a certain standard but what I've heard here tonight has been absurd.
It’s a big Jersey to fill, always has been.

We don’t expect to hammer a team like this, that would be naive in the extreme but when you see the result of high tempo, direct and attacking football has on the opposition then we just stop doing that, it gets a little frustrating.

I take it you havent seen this movie before from our team? Most of us have, several times.

Comsiderimg the first 20-30 minutes, then going down to 10 men, that’s a very good result for them to take back home for the 2nd leg.

They'll be licking their lips taking this result home. Beale will be trying to work out how many holding midfielders we can play at once over there

Nothing to fear going over there, they never threatened

We played well. Tav is done outside of set pieces and pens, Borna was surprisingly decent, and Butland had nothing to do from open play

Back