Summer Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said earlier, if you signed Pitman ( I am sure it is a crap rumour though ) he would be a marmite player,some would love him, some would hate him, I thought he was lazy and slow, but he is a goalscorer, if he gets chances. Would he score goals in the SPL? In my opinion, yes he would, but I won't make any crazy predictions about how many. Is he good enough for Rangers? I don't think so.

A cult hero at West Ham - such a shit point to make.

West Ham fans are mostly a shower of weirdos who back really weird things...they are daft on that Marc Noble despite him being pish.

Re Alves - he has been pretty shit...he will be a year older and a World Cup gone...it isn't going to get better next year...it's going to be worse.

Lol, exactly. Deary me. We need far better than a clearly done in Alves and James f*cking Collins. As if Alves has another season in him...

Folk are seemingly resigned to the idea that we must have some kind of ancient centre back in our backline. We don't. I want two absolute units like Goldson and Bartley who have time on their side and are athletic enough to get up the pitch

Those two together would be mustard, btw

Lol, exactly. Deary me. We need far better than a clearly done in Alves and James f*cking Collins. As if Alves has another season in him...

Folk are seemingly resigned to the idea that we must have some kind of ancient centre back in our backline. We don't. I want two absolute units like Goldson and Bartley who have time on their side and are athletic enough to get up the pitch

Those two together would be mustard, btw
I agree , getting them over the line financially is the difficulty.

Especially if a cash rich Leeds want Bartley.

Players signed from what kind of clubs? Ie examples - Man City?

Not particularly no. Again why the need to shop in a market we can’t afford. Players are vastly over rated and valued and most around the 2 million mark are not that good.
There are other markets in Scandinavia, Eastern Europe and Spain which might get you better value players. Cuellar for example wasn’t a massive fee to buy and not far of what we payed for Pena.
The type of clubs I am talking about are ones who play in European competition and if we can afford them international experience also. If we have a good scouting network they should be able to find decent players at reasonable fees.
If we just shop in England unless we have silly money to spend we won’t get the quality of player needed to win the title.

We need to do much better than James Collins. A few years ago fair enough he would have been a decent signing but with his age and injury problems plus the obvious lack of pace i hope it's just a rumour.

I want central defender with a bit of mobility and pace, defenders who won't lose out on a header and actually be able to defend whilst managing to complete a 10 yard pass along the ground into feet.

Yes, you don't need to spend £70m to find said player either.

Not particularly no. Again why the need to shop in a market we can’t afford. Players are vastly over rated and valued and most around the 2 million mark are not that good.
There are other markets in Scandinavia, Eastern Europe and Spain which might get you better value players. Cuellar for example wasn’t a massive fee to buy and not far of what we payed for Pena.
The type of clubs I am talking about are ones who play in European competition and if we can afford them international experience also. If we have a good scouting network they should be able to find decent players at reasonable fees.
If we just shop in England unless we have silly money to spend we won’t get the quality of player needed to win the title.
Agree with this, difficulty is finding the gems on the continent and beyond before the big guns in England and elsewhere.

Celtics best players the last few years were signed from Scottish clubs or the likes of Fulham and Villa.

Cuellar as an example is nothing like the profile of player you just spoke about...high preasure and demands....he played for Osasuna...

I’d argue Alves has become a worse player since he got injured.

Guys on here comparing him to Senderos, ffs. :D

He’s a big, strong, ball winning centre half. We could do far worse than have the experience of Bruno around the squad next season.

Mate I could probably dribble past Alves these days.

Alves has become a better player on FF the longer he's been out the team.

He's had a brilliant career but when you're getting the run around and ragdolled from wee fannies like Louis Moult and Simon Murray then it's time to hang it up.

Woudn't be surprised if he calls it a day after the World Cup tbh.

Sure you don't mistake Alves for Cardoso? In any case, the problem is that either of the Portuguese chaps career at Rangers is getting worse the longer it is discussed at FF. Play both together with decent full-backs who don't think they are wingers 8 out of 10 times and have a decent DM and they won't be caught out as much. That, actually holds true for either of our CH pairings.

BTW, managers have preferences. Be that a 4-3-3 line-up, a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2. Same with players. And for some reason, if managers want to play a certain system or favour a certain player in his line-up, the players on the bench become "duds" in due course. IMHO, Murty's stubborn 4-2-3-1 AND the players selected for that was the main factor why the season went downhill from late January onwards.

If anything, you'd hope SG not only brings in new players, but also changes tactics and players according to the opposition as well as current form.

Celtics best players the last few years were signed from Scottish clubs or the likes of Fulham and Villa.

Cuellar as an example is nothing like the profile of player you just spoke about...high preasure and demands....he played for Osasuna...

He played in a better quality league though and highly technical and was used to playing against top quality strikers.

The striker from Villa cost over 4 million pound and the wage Doumbele got probably exceeds what we were paying, this is what I mean unless you are paying bigger wages than what we pay and spending around 4 mill upwards on players then England isn’t where we should be looking.
As for the rest Celtic we’re building upon a winning team who has won the title 7 years in a row and only really need to add a few players every season. They have also generated big money for their club through the sales of players found by their scouts.
Sure they have signed some not to good but the sale of a Foster or a Van Dyke nullifies this.
When they need to spend they go around the 4 mill mark if they need to for a Sinclair or the big black boy in midfield they do so.
According to Admin we won’t be spending this type of money on players or paying massive salaries for the likes of Lucas.
So why does it make sense to shop in England for players when we practically have nearly a whole team to replace in regards to the squad.

Reactions: cav
Superb work sir... The club could do with someone like you to put ill informed people right on things when our club is unfairly criticised. Only thing is mate it would be a 24/7 job.
Can't wait to hear the feedback....

Cuellar came from a decent Osasuna team who got to the copa del rey final and lead the la liga for a good chunk of the next season, finishing 4th getting into CL and played uefa cup after finishing 3rd in their group.

He went on to win player of the year and writers player of the year in 2007/08 season....with us

I wont hear a bad word said against that signing!

Cuellar came from a decent Osasuna team who got to the copa del rey final and lead the la liga for a good chunk of the next season, finishing 4th getting into CL and played uefa cup after finishing 3rd in their group.

He went on to win player of the year and writers player of the year in 2007/08 season....with us

I wont hear a bad word said against that signing!

I don’t think he is saying Cuellar wasn’t good. I think he is saying the team he came from doesn’t fit the profile of the type of club I was talking about.

However your evidence provided here and what I said shows he is wrong.

It is players like this we should be looking for. Solid defenders just short on playing international football but playing regularly in decent leagues for good standard of teams that can be picked up for around the 2 to 4 mill mark, and not just in Spain, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe if our scouting is good.

Mate I could probably dribble past Alves these days.

Having Alves in the squad next season, playing circa 20 games is a no brainer.

He’s a man mountain in the air.

The number of goals we conceded from corners when he’s missing is a concern.

Remember the St Johnstone game at the start of the season. They had something like 19 corners. He must have headed clear 18 of them.

mentally challengeds at home, first game, ball drops in the box - he’d have cleared it.

FWIW, I think Gerrard will like having an Alves about. Maybe needs need to adapt his game, but with competent midfielders, he’ll be a big asset.

Careful what you wish for. Put it this way, James Collins struggles to kick a ball.

We have gone full circle , from Defoe , Skrtel , Lucas etc. to Collins et al .

I think we will be somewhere in the middle with players like Goldson, Isherwood types.

That said , shopping down South is never going to be an easy ride and value for money is at a premium .

You might get lucky once in a while but overall the market is so hyper inflated that even that will cost you money.
Somewhere in the middle will be just fine

If we need to sign an experienced older CB we should go for Berra

We may be stuck with Bruno unless someone is willing to take over his massive wage and he fancies going there .

If we played the way Hearts did, Bruno would have been player of the year.

They play 1 up top and defend for their lives. Packed, edge of the box and header and clear it.

(Berra isn’t a bad player, but I think the idea Bruno is shite is equally laughable)

I don’t think he is saying Cuellar wasn’t good. I think he is saying the team he came from doesn’t fit the profile of the type of club I was talking about.

It is players like this we should be looking for. Solid defenders just short on playing international football but playing regularly in decent leagues for good standard of teams that can be picked up for around the 2 to 4 mill mark, and not just in Spain, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe if our scouting is good.

That would all have worked 10 years ago mate. These days the EPL clubs, with vast scouting networks, are picking up these guys - players very few of us have even heard of in many cases - for £5m, £10m, £15m before we can even get near them. We’d need to be shopping in the second tier of most of the big leagues or the bottom half of others like Holland and Belgium to have any chance of unearthing someone before them - and even then it’s a stretch.

England is, undoubtedly, an inflated market though. Maybe the answer is guys who’ve come in from overseas and ‘failed’.

I agree.

He played in a better quality league though and highly technical and was used to playing against top quality strikers.

The striker from Villa cost over 4 million pound and the wage Doumbele got probably exceeds what we were paying, this is what I mean unless you are paying bigger wages than what we pay and spending around 4 mill upwards on players then England isn’t where we should be looking.
As for the rest Celtic we’re building upon a winning team who has won the title 7 years in a row and only really need to add a few players every season. They have also generated big money for their club through the sales of players found by their scouts.
Sure they have signed some not to good but the sale of a Foster or a Van Dyke nullifies this.
When they need to spend they go around the 4 mill mark if they need to for a Sinclair or the big black boy in midfield they do so.
According to Admin we won’t be spending this type of money on players or paying massive salaries for the likes of Lucas.
So why does it make sense to shop in England for players when we practically have nearly a whole team to replace in regards to the squad.

The 25 man squad limit (2 players for each position, third keeper and two left over) for the English Premier League means that a buying club most likely have players to sell or release. Relegated clubs release players to balance the books. Championship clubs with their parachute payments running out may also be financially compromised?

But when it comes down to it, hidden gems are few and far between.

They play 1 up top and defend for their lives. Packed, edge of the box and header and clear it.

(Berra isn’t a bad player, but I think the idea Bruno is shite is equally laughable)

Berra has been far better than Alves and played nearly every game , Alves isn’t shite but can’t play more than 2-3 games in a row not good enough for me.

Berra has been far better than Alves and played nearly every game , Alves isn’t shite but can’t play more than 2-3 games in a row not good enough for me.
7MlUczJ.jpg

Yeah Alves' fitness or lack thereof is the main concern,forgetting that his legs aren't fully capable anymore.Near 30k a week is a lot of money for someone that isn't even available half the time,a lack of consistency at the back has cost us dearly this season past.
We'd do well not to make the same mistakes,and find a partnership that's likely to play 70% of the games together at the back-consistency and reliability are key between GK and the two CH's.

I appreciate injuries and loss of form can happen,but let's not sign 35 year olds or players even as good as Bartley for example,whose injury record is questionable at best.

No it doesn’t the op of the other thread is dreaming.

We haven’t got 10 Million to waste on Rhodes.
I don't know about that mate,he's very much out of favour down there just now-certainly worth asking the question I'd have thought.
Ideally a loan with an option to buy,cheeky though that may be.

So you wouldn't have signed Bougherra?

Having Alves in the squad next season, playing circa 20 games is a no brainer.

He’s a man mountain in the air.

The number of goals we conceded from corners when he’s missing is a concern.

Remember the St Johnstone game at the start of the season. They had something like 19 corners. He must have headed clear 18 of them.

mentally challengeds at home, first game, ball drops in the box - he’d have cleared it.

FWIW, I think Gerrard will like having an Alves about. Maybe needs need to adapt his game, but with competent midfielders, he’ll be a big asset.

Careful what you wish for. Put it this way, James Collins struggles to kick a ball.

I don't want James Collins.

But if we want to avoid another season of misery next season it's clear Alves will not do. None of our current centre backs will.

^ This is a very good point,we have to go out to win every game-Berra would be left horribly exposed playing for us with his lack of pace.
One of the reasons I regularly use Onouha as an example of someone we should bring in,is his turn of pace-he was a champion sprinter when younger and even at 31 can shift for a big lad.
It would suit a higher line for us defensively.

The guy that has ripped the pish out of us in every game this season cost the yahoos 500k from an Australian pub team

At this point in his career Alves is a useful siege defender because he's still good in the air but that's it. And seeing as we're Rangers and are going to be on the front foot most games trying to break down an opposition defence there's not going to be much siege defending required for most of the games.

We don't know what playing style Gerrard is going to try and impose on us but if it's anything like Klopp's high pressing style - then Alves is the complete wrong fit for that.

For the press to be effective the whole team needs to push up, which means we'll be playing with a high line which means there will be plenty of space in behind.

That requires defenders who are quick (hence why I believe our interest in Goldson - who is pacey - is genuine and makes sense). Alves, however, is slower than a week in the jail and milks turns quicker. He is the definition of legs are gone. He'll get badly shown up in that kind of set up and even a simple punt over the top into the channels will turn our defence and have opposition strikers running away from him.

I just don't see it when people claim he's a leader either. I'd argue Jordan Rossiter, a young laddie, showed more fight and leadership in one game than Alves did all season. This is a guy in Alves who couldn't get off the pitch quick enough in certain games and seemed to rip his tights everytime he came up against the bheasts.

He's played the entire season, not with one eye, but with both eyes firmly on the World Cup and ensuring he doesn't get injured for it. As a result he's been half hearted in everything he's done. That's unacceptable when we're paying him (what is for us) a huge wage.

You can always spot the guys who are just here for a last payday a mile off and I'm genuinely surprised there is some on here that seem to still be in denial with Bruno.

Last edited:
Some folk can’t seem to get their heads round the fact Alves was genuinely injured when he came off at the piggery and imo loads hold that against him.

He was the only player we had last season with a hint of leadership around him.

there were games last season where he looked old and as if end of his career was near, but there were also games where he looked good and the type of dominating centre half that we need.

It’s whether he’s with the continued big wage that I’m sure he’s on in comparison to who else we could get that’s the issue for me.

Yeah Alves' fitness or lack thereof is the main concern,forgetting that his legs aren't fully capable anymore.Near 30k a week is a lot of money for someone that isn't even available half the time,a lack of consistency at the back has cost us dearly this season past.
We'd do well not to make the same mistakes,and find a partnership that's likely to play 70% of the games together at the back-consistency and reliability are key between GK and the two CH's.

I appreciate injuries and loss of form can happen,but let's not sign 35 year olds or players even as good as Bartley for example,whose injury record is questionable at best.

2 players of a good age IE Goldson and Bartley with a younger player for back up .

Anyone can be injured but signing players the wrong side of 30 is a high contributing fact of them being more susceptible to being injured.

Last edited:
^ This is a very good point,we have to go out to win every game-Berra would be left horribly exposed playing for us with his lack of pace.
One of the reasons I regularly use Onouha as an example of someone we should bring in,is his turn of pace-he was a champion sprinter when younger and even at 31 can shift for a big lad.
It would suit a higher line for us defensively.

Missing out on Marriapa two summers ago was a blow for the same reason you’ve mentioned, instead we got Senderos!!!

Reactions: cav
Some folk can’t seem to get their heads round the fact Alves was genuinely injured when he came off at the piggery and imo loads hold that against him.

He was the only player we had last season with a hint of leadership around him.

there were games last season where he looked old and as if end of his career was near, but there were also games where he looked good and the type of dominating centre half that we need.

It’s whether he’s with the continued big wage that I’m sure he’s on in comparison to who else we could get that’s the issue for me.

I was quite happy when Alves limped off against the mentally challengeds at New Years and Bates came on in his place.

Bates is a better player and we were far better after the change and really should have won the game that day. The 2nd half that day was easily as good as we've played against the bheasts since coming back up.

I don't know about that mate,he's very much out of favour down there just now-certainly worth asking the question I'd have thought.
Ideally a loan with an option to buy,cheeky though that may be.

His wages would make it restrictive as he’s probably on well over 40,000 a week add in a massive fee to buy and he’s not a world beater either.

We should be shopping in European markets when they aren’t as over inflated as England.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back