Rangers clinch loan deal for Liverpool midfielder Ovie Ejaria

well Mr Gerrard clearly didn't see him at Sunderland last season.
I dont think Gerrard is being forced to sign the boy - he obviously knows him really well and thinks Ovie can make a contribution (probably as a squad player) so we should be happy enough on that basis

I’m behind the kid and hope he proves me wrong . I just don’t see how we win by taking him for one season , nurturing him and paying some of his wage .

Say he does well - great , Liverpool are delighted as they welcome back an improved player . We get nothing and need to replace him .

He does poorly ? That speaks for itself .

The only way these type of deals to work for both player and clubs are that it is with a view to a permanent deal both clubs and player are happy with . Then You get maximum effort from the player .

The advantage of loan deals for us is it frees up more of our funds to spend on other players. If used correctly loans can be a valuable part of our strategy if we get the balance right. A few Goldson level signings where we are spending a few million to add a bit of quality in addition to some bosmans and a few loan signings is what we should be looking at

Welcome to Rangers to the young man. He is about to find out what the expectations are at the most successful club in the world but also the adulation if he gets it right.

As a daft aside, only 3 consonants in his first name and surname combined. Must be as low a number as any player in our history!
I looked at I-M and couldn't find any.
Thought someone called Ian would have been a good shout but it's listed by surname :D

Edit- His name is actually Dominic so he doesn't count.

I’m behind the kid and hope he proves me wrong . I just don’t see how we win by taking him for one season , nurturing him and paying some of his wage .

Say he does well - great , Liverpool are delighted as they welcome back an improved player . We get nothing and need to replace him .

He does poorly ? That speaks for itself .

The only way these type of deals to work for both player and clubs are that it is with a view to a permanent deal both clubs and player are happy with . Then You get maximum effort from the player . You sign him up knowing what he can give and he’s a settled starter in the team and happy and settled off the park .

In general fair point but imagine you are a footballer and your hero is your manager, are you not going to try your hardest every day to try and impress him?

I think this will be a good one!

Very disappointed it’s a loan , but I refuse to let it ruin my enjoyment of our club just now.

I’ll say it now and mark me , it won’t work out, unless it’s with a view to a permanent deal , like all loan players .

However we back him and hope the next signing is real and permanent .

I tend to agree with this, but....fingers crossed anyway.

The transfer window has barely opened and we have brought in Arfield, McGregor with Goldson on his way and you are disappointed because we are bringing in a loan player who by all accounts if very highly rated and has played for Liverpool’s first team.

Not sure how Gerrard is being hung out to dry when he has clearly requested we sign him

I don’t think these signinings (McGregor aside) are the standard we need to push on and win the league.

if every signing is of the standard of Ejaria then yes, I'd suggest that shows he hasn't received the backing he clearly needs. I don't think there's anything wrong in what I've said.
He has already signed Arfield and McGregor with Goldson imminent. I think this renders your concerns fairly redundant

Very disappointed it’s a loan , but I refuse to let it ruin my enjoyment of our club just now.

I’ll say it now and mark me , it won’t work out, unless it’s with a view to a permanent deal , like all loan players .

However we back him and hope the next signing is real and permanent .

Take him on a loan deal - if it doesn’t work out bye

if every signing is of the standard of Ejaria then yes, I'd suggest that shows he hasn't received the backing he clearly needs. I don't think there's anything wrong in what I've said.

At the time where we are spending almost £3m on a CH??

I think we’ve enough of a sample size (Goss, Oduwa, Ball, Hyndman, Toral, Zelalem, Nemane) to say EPL reserves on loan don’t really cut it in this pressure cooker.

Indeed, they largely follow the same pattern - early, impressive impact before fading badly.

If this lad contributes to an impressive season, then terrific, but loans of this nature should really be limited to one or two.

Christopher Jack @Chris_Jack89Group Senior Sports Writer
7850422.jpg

0 comments
RANGERS have completed a loan deal for Liverpool midfielder Ovie Ejaria.

SportTimes can reveal the 20-year-old has agreed a season-long switch to Ibrox to be reunited with former Reds coach Steven Gerrard.

Ejaria spent the second half of last term on loan at Sunderland and has now made the switch to Glasgow to gain more first team experience.

The Englishman is Gerrard's fourth signing of the summer so far and is set to be followed into Ibrox by defender Connor Goldson after Rangers agreed a £3million fee with Brighton on Wednesday.
Good stuff. Another piece of the puzzle. Looks decent based on his showreel.

I don’t think these signinings (McGregor aside) are the standard we need to push on and win the league.
He has only made 2 permanent and 1 loan signing so far. The players recruited will ne a combination of seasoned pros, promising youngsters and maybe a couple of 'stars'.

I really think we should give Gerrard the benefit of the doubt and at least wait until the window is actually open before slaughtering the signings o_O

:( bit disappointed in all honesty. I hope the standard of signings dramatically improve from here or Gerrard is getting hung out to dry.

Good luck Ovie.

What a load of utter shite you're rabbling.

As for struggling at Sunderland , big fucking deal, we're not going to be scrapping for points in a relegation battle, we'll dominate the majority of games, completely different circumstances.

Give this pish a rest.

'Hung out to dry', fucking ridiculous.

Not sure what to make of it. He joined Sunderland in the winter window and by all accounts wasn't that good. That said though Sunderland were an absolute mess and he was thrown straight into it with no preseason

Gerrard will know him a bit though so hopefully he shows more of the supposed promise he has

I know absolutely hee haw about young Ovie and I certainly won't be deciding if he's any good on a YouTube video.

So, I'll simply say I'll trust Steven Gerrard and look forward to seeing this young lad hopefully settle and flourish this season ahead

I think we’ve enough of a sample size (Goss, Oduwa, Ball, Hyndman, Toral, Zelalem, Nemane) to say EPL reserves on loan don’t really cut it in this pressure cooker.

Indeed, they largely follow the same pattern - early, impressive impact before fading badly.

If this lad contributes to an impressive season, then terrific, but loans of this nature should really be limited to one or two.

Sensible way to look at it. I hope he does well, but I fear a 20 year old kid is just going to get the lumps kicked out of him up here.

Whatever way one or 2 cynics look at it - it's already our 4th new signing .....keep it going Stevie G & Gary Mac.......strong competition for team places is a must at every club.

Obligatory vid if not already posted!

Looks no bad. More of a ball winner than goal scorer but looks to have good feet. Welcome to the Rangers sir.

He has a Pogba style about him which is a bit different to what we have.

I think it's unfair to judge him based on his Sunderland stint. He was 19 at the time. Thrown into a team absolutely devoid of any confidence.

Seasoned pros looked terrified and performed appalling for them during that time.

A fresh start playing in (hopefully) a confident side will hopefully bring the best out of him.

Last edited:
Absolutely hilarious the reaction to this signing from some. They are probably the same posters demanding a mass clear out. It’s funny if we have a mass clear out we need to replace the entire squad. I don’t think there is anyway he’ll be a first team starter but he will be there when needed.

I'm really hoping this lad is the real deal we urgently require quality in midfield and we need to start making these loan deals count now.

Looking forward to seeing him play, welcome to Rangers Ovie.

I wondered how long this would come up :rolleyes:

Listen I’ve always held my view about loans. Nobody needs to take it personally .

For me, and I’m old school, they were used as emergency signings if someone got injured for any length of time .

Now we’ve seen oduwa, zelalem , goss , hyndman , to name a few , come onto the scene look promising then Peter out into nothingness .

An example of a good loan - Steven Davis because it was with a view to becoming permanent .

If this is a Davis type deal then let’s go .

If not , I’m saying I don’t like it . And nobody will change my mind on loans of this nature . They fail .
You do understand there is a flip side to that argument?

Imagine we had actually ran with your train of thought and said "Nevermind the Loan, we'll buy these players instead" Do you think that would have changed them somehow, that they wouldn't have continued to impress instead of petering out? Because I dont. I think it would simply have left us with contracted players that whilst looked Ok to start with, failed to impress enough.

So with that in mind, I think a loan is ideal, we get to look at the player and judge for ourselves if we want him on a permanent deal. Maybe thats why these others didnt work out like Davis, because they didnt do enough?

I'll try not to hold his time at Sunderland against him but I hope I see an improvement. Playing in a winning team might help him out like, and there was still the odd bit last season that showed he was decent. Good luck to the lad.

I'll try not to hold his time at Sunderland against him but I hope I see an improvement. Playing in a winning team might help him out like, and there was still the odd bit last season that showed he was decent. Good luck to the lad.

What type of player is he mate?

Hard to be optimistic given our recent track record in the loan market.
Hope the lad comes in and does a job.

Back