Rangers clinch loan deal for Liverpool midfielder Ovie Ejaria

Reminds me of Oduwa in the obligatory YouTube video. Good feet with no real pace.

Can’t really judge until we’ve seen him in a game that matters though. That’s where our loans seem to let us down.

Hopefully Ovie is the exception.

Very disappointed it’s a loan , but I refuse to let it ruin my enjoyment of our club just now.

I’ll say it now and mark me , it won’t work out, unless it’s with a view to a permanent deal , like all loan players .

However we back him and hope the next signing is real and permanent .

See your point of view, however, the other way to see it is, if we could afford him we would buy him. But reality is we cant. So, we take him in the meantime, he immediately improves us and gives us time to continue to look for a replacement within our budget ... i dont see any downside to this.....

The only thing that’d bother me about SG bringing up young talent from Liverpool is if it was done as a favor to them and not entirely for our benefit as it should be. Dyed in the wool Liverpool man but I don’t think he’s the type to do that.

I wondered how long this would come up :rolleyes:

Listen I’ve always held my view about loans. Nobody needs to take it personally .

For me, and I’m old school, they were used as emergency signings if someone got injured for any length of time .

Now we’ve seen oduwa, zelalem , goss , hyndman , to name a few , come onto the scene look promising then Peter out into nothingness .

An example of a good loan - Steven Davis because it was with a view to becoming permanent .

If this is a Davis type deal then let’s go .

If not , I’m saying I don’t like it . And nobody will change my mind on loans of this nature . They fail .

Have to say I tend to agree. If a loan player does well his club want him back. If he fails then he's available for transfer.

Take Goss as an example. Started very well but we were told QPR wouldnt sell. Then he fades out and now you can keep him.

Hope this time its different.

Reminds me of Oduwa in the obligatory YouTube video. Good feet with no real pace.

Can’t really judge until we’ve seen him in a game that matters though. That’s where our loans seem to let us down.

Hopefully Ovie is the exception.
Looks nothing like Oduwa imho.

Ovie Ejaria refused to crumble under the pressure of playing at a “toxic” Stadium of Light in a disastrous season for Sunderland.

And former Black Cats assistant Kit Symons reckons the experience will ensure he is now ready for the rough and tumble of the Scottish Premiership.

Rising Liverpool star Ejaria is a Rangers loan target with Anfield Steven Gerrard aware of the players talent following his time as Reds youth boss, with reports on Thursday night claiming he had completed a one-year move to Ibrox

The 20-year-old played just 11 games in a four-month loan spell on Wearside last season but Chris Coleman’s No. 2 Symons witnessed enough in that time to believe he can be an Ibrox hit.

It was another season of darkness at the Stadium of Light as Sunderland suffered a second consecutive relegation that saw Welsh duo Coleman and Symons leave Wearside with Jack Ross taking over

But Symons insists Ejaria still shone brightly enough amid the disaster of the drop to League One to suggest he can be a success in the Scottish Premiership.

As one of the most gifted midfielders of his generation, new Gers boss Gerrard should be able to spot potential in that position.

And Symons believes the talented England Under-21 international is a player the Rangers boss can get the best out of. He told Record Sport: “Ovie is real bright talent who did exceptionally well for Liverpool’s Under-23s.

“He came into us and sort of did okay. It’s a big step from Under-23s football to the Championship and he found the adjustment difficult, as all young players would do.

“But he certainly got better and more of an understanding as his loan period went on. He’s a real talent but he’s learning the difference from Under-23s football where there’s no real consequences to first team football where your decisions are vital.

“If he was going straight from Liverpool Under-23s to Rangers then it would be a bit of a shock. But Sunderland is a big club as well and there’s a lot of pressure - especially at the Stadium of Light which was toxic at times.

“He had to be able to handle that and even in tough situations in games that weren’t going our way he was the one player who wanted the ball.

“In some respects he shows great maturity in his game and in others he’s very much a young boy learning but it would be a great move for him and he’d do well in the Scottish Premiership.

“In Scottish football terms, 20-years-old might not see that young but it is in England where less young players are getting a chance.

“Managers are under great pressure to get the results and they don’t trust as many young players. It would be good for Ovie to play under a manager who knows him and obviously values him because he wants to get him in.

“That would be brilliant for him and he’ll go and do well. I’d be more concerned if he didn’t have the experience of his time a Sunderland.

“After games when we had a glass of wine in the office the opposition managers and coaches would always ask about Ovie and said after looking at him they regretted not trying to get him.

“He was one of the few players in the Sunderland line-up they were asking about. He will try the unexpected, off the cuff things and little sliderule passes and things like that.

“He’s certainly a lot better for those 11 games with Sunderland and Rangers will reap the benefits. He’s a real talent and really exciting on the ball, he can see a pass and breaks the lines in midfield with his athleticism.

“When he’s on the game he’s got an awful lot of talent and ability and will excite the Ibrox crowd.”

Symons watched Ejaria play for the England Under-21 side in a defensive midfield role but reckons he’s more effective when given the freedom to get forward.

The former Fulham boss said: “He looks like a Patrick Viera-type but he was more defensive. I watched him for England Under-21s against Romania and he played in a holding midfielder but he’s better as an attacking midfielder.

“Ovie can do the defensive side but he’s more offensive and his game is all about bombing forward and getting in the box and playing little one-twos around the edge of the box.

“We seen him as a Number 8 - and if Steven Gerrard can’t pick a midfielder then there’s no chance for any of us, really! Steven would have seen him for Liverpool and know his qualities.

“Whether he’s a regular starter and plays every game will be down to Steven Gerrard but if he does go then Rangers will be getting a player with a lot to offer.

“He’s very comfortable on the ball, he’ll always look to get on it, even in tight situations when he’s being marked closely.

“I’m not going to say he was outstanding at Sunderland because he wasn’t. He was still in sort of Under-23 mode and he was learning but he showed an appetite to learn.

“We knew he was a good player because we’d watched his clips from Liverpool. And you could see his quality in training but he was raw.

“I remember we were 1-0 up against Norwich City at home and Ovie went clean through. The keeper was in no man’s land and it was on for him just to slot it past the goalie for 2-0.

“But you could almost see him thinking in his head ‘I want to go round the keeper and roll it into the empty net’ and he tried to do that and the keeper managed to smother it.

“That’s the kind of decision-making where we felt he wasn’t quite where he needs to be. He’s a young boy learning, which is what the loan process does for you.

“Off the field he’s fairly quiet and stuck with a few of our younger boys, the likes of Josh Maja, and he was quite popular in the dressing room without being the most outspoken.

“He gets on with his business and alwayst trains well and was a good lad to have about. The Championship is a competitive, tough league as is the Scottish Premiership.”

I get where you are coming from and sure, it would absolutely be great to nurture our own players and be able to profit financially from their development, however I have always been fine with loans as a mechanism for us to get our hands on players we wouldn’t otherwise be able to attract for financial or other reasons.

Not saying this lad is comparable, but guys like Patrick Roberts across the city would never have played in this league but for the loan system and if we can use it to get good players in the door to do a job even in the short term I’m happy enough with that, but I understand the reservations.

Let's hope he's far more of a success than Roberts was.

Him, and Charly bhoy from Chelsea were seriously expensive flops.

Good luck Ovie and welcome.

I don't know, I watched the video and am concerned about his body language.

If you look at the first tackle he does, one of his laces is looped slightly more than the other. That indicates his organizational skills will be lacking, which is essential for being in our team. I'm sick of this. Why do we keep making the same mistake????

:D

Was thinking that too, hope he’s not too driven about Lpool youths just for that reason.

What a bizarre thing to think, Steven Gerrard is willing to put his reputation as a manager and futur career on the line to do a favour to a few Liverpool youths he likes? Weird

He’s bringing him in because he rates him, nothing more

What a bizarre thing to think, Steven Gerrard is willing to put his reputation as a manager and futur career on the line to do a favour to a few Liverpool youths he likes? Weird

He’s bringing him in because he rates him, nothing more
Why is it weird? I don’t think it either, but sometimes managers can get stuck on players from a certain club.

Hope the lad can help improve us and I’ve no doubt Stevie G will demand he gives his all.

Looks to have some good skill and can tackle too.

No doubt the arsehole mhedia clowns up here will accuse him of being disrespectful if he does some tricks and shows some dribbling skills

Still remember them slagging Oduwa when he started up here

If they repeat that shite I hope Stevie G rips into the mhedia and tells them to phuck up. That’s what the fans want to see.

Hope the lad can help improve us and I’ve no doubt Stevie G will demand he gives his all.

Looks to have some good skill and can tackle too.

No doubt the arsehole mhedia clowns up here will accuse him of being disrespectful if he does some tricks and shows some dribbling skills

Still remember them slagging Oduwa when he started up here

If they repeat that shite I hope Stevie G rips into the mhedia and tells them to phuck up. That’s what the fans want to see.
It was ok when the reptiles were being actually disrespectful at Ibrox though.

if every signing is of the standard of Ejaria then yes, I'd suggest that shows he hasn't received the backing he clearly needs. I don't think there's anything wrong in what I've said.

Best to wait till the end of the window, it’s literally been 6 days into Gerrard’s reign.....

Think of it as a trial.
I get the feeling if this lad does well, we’ll have a good chance of a permanent deal.

I admire your optimism however if he does really well we'll have almost no chance of a permanent deal as Liverpool will want to keep him and his value will be far too high. Look at Roberts over on Craggy Island, he's done f@ck all in this league but the scum still can't afford him!

:( bit disappointed in all honesty. I hope the standard of signings dramatically improve from here or Gerrard is getting hung out to dry.

Good luck Ovie.

This may be a stab in the dark but i would think Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard who has been ingrained in the fabric of Liverpool fc for decades now and who could probally tell you the strengths and weaknesses of every player from first team to under 18 at that club actually wanted this boy to join us?

We have signed McGregor, Arfield and Murphy who are all good enough for the spfl and have agreed a fee (our biggest since Jelavic) to sign a defender from a premier league club whose fans didn't want to leave.

And the transfer window hasn't even opened yet.

Good luck at Rangers Ovie!

Good news and I am hoping he is the first of many new faces to bolster our squad so we can have a genuine challenge against the mhanks. However, I bet it won't be long for the usual doubters to start spouting p*sh that we can only get players on loan because we have no money to spend. Lets hope we can get the signing from BHA to rubbish that myth.

Some people seem to be forgetting where our manager has come from. I am more than willing to trust a selection from Gerrard from Liverpool's academy. Obviously there is always a chance that signings might not work out, where ever they come from. I think Liverpool Academy players, coming to play top flight football under Steven Gerrard will probably be trying to prove themselves a hell of a lot more than people think. Bare in mind that the likely hood being if they aspire to be a success at Liverpool that they will most likely be crossing his path again in the future.

This lad appears to be the type of player we need. Big,strong and skilful. Hopefully our midfield will no longer be a pushover.

Any more word on Harry Wilson? He was the one I really wanted on loan and it hasn't been mentioned in a week or two now.

I admire your optimism however if he does really well we'll have almost no chance of a permanent deal as Liverpool will want to keep him and his value will be far too high. Look at Roberts over on Craggy Island, he's done f@ck all in this league but the scum still can't afford him!
All very true, bud.
I’m banking on the Gerrard factor here!

Got the feeling this boy will turn out to be a great signing.
Yes, we have had mixed results in the loan market and that’s putting it mildly but this lad I believe is a class above the likes of Goss and some of the younger players we have had from sides south of the border. Could be a good move for both clubs and if so, it would open the door for other quality loans from Liverpool and other clubs going forward.

Very disappointed it’s a loan , but I refuse to let it ruin my enjoyment of our club just now.

I’ll say it now and mark me , it won’t work out, unless it’s with a view to a permanent deal , like all loan players .

However we back him and hope the next signing is real and permanent .
We have to think short, medium and long term in the current circumstances.

We would all prefer to make permanent signings which will help the club over the next 3-5 years but if we can get a few loans in who can push us on in the immediate season then so be it.

It works if it is the right players with the right attitudes. If it doesn't then no real financial consequences have been suffered.

Hopefully the players who do come in on can make a valuable contribution in their time with us.

Arfield is and Goldson will be, signings of the required quality mate.
I hope so mate, I think I’m probably a bit cynical after seeing similar types of signings over the past couple of years- Dorrans (terrible), Kiernan (big lad, fine for lower level), youth level loans from ‘big’ clubs- Oduwa, Zelalem, Hyndman, etc.

Back