Europa league opponents

I hope we avoid Iceland, Faroes, Finland Macedonia, Georgia, Armenia and Albania.

Depends on which regional group we are placed in last season we moved into the Central group for QR1

Which meant our teams were from Luxembourg, Gibraltar, Andorra, San Marino or Moldova

Depends on which regional group we are placed in last season we moved into the Central group for QR1

Which meant our teams were from Luxembourg, Gibraltar, Andorra, San Marino or Moldova
It’s likely to be similar again then. I knew we were put into groups wasn’t sure how it worked as there was teams closer we could’ve been paired with.

Possibly trying to avoid us going to Ireland?

It’s likely to be similar again then. I knew we were put into groups wasn’t sure how it worked as there was teams closer we could’ve been paired with.

possible mate

I was surprised that did happen with us but I think there was other issues that allowed it to happen something to do with Ferencvaros?

Not sure if it is a big issue as it was in 1998 however it does face issues if we end up drawing a team from either from the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland

I was surprised that did happen with us but I think there was other issues that allowed it to happen something to do with Ferencvaros?

Not sure if it is a big issue as it was in 1998 however it does face issues if we end up drawing a team from there either from the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland
Yeah interesting how they will do it.

Out of curiosity...same goes for any other posters what is your preferred draw as a fan.

As I want to go I’d like Wales/Northern Ireland or Slovakia/Hungary. Just basically somewhere that wouldn’t be too expensive with the hope of qualifying and getting a better trip the next round.

Out of curiosity...same goes for any other posters what is your preferred draw as a fan.

As I want to go I’d like Wales/Northern Ireland or Slovakia/Hungary. Just basically somewhere that wouldn’t be too expensive with the hope of qualifying and getting a better trip the next round.

Places like last season result apart if I was going to attend I have always enjoyed that

Hoping for a Hungarian team, easy to get to for me. Also, Podgorica would be nice..writing this from Podgorica right now.

Not sure if it is a big issue as it was in 1998 however it does face issues if we end up drawing a team from either from the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland

I think if we do draw a Irish side, we will go there on any given date ( maybe not ulster on 12th ) hear me out, its peace time in Ireland and Ulster regardless of the political issues in Stormont.

if we draw a south team , we will no doubt be allowed to play at the venue of the local club and watch the governments and media make a peace deal out of it like they did when England played Ireland a few years back .

might be talking keek but I have this feeling

Living in Wales then, obviously, one of the Welsh teams would suit me.

Other than that....Progres Niederkorn. Unfinished business that needs to be addressed.

Not sure I'd want us drawing a team from Northern Ireland or from the Republic. Too much potential for us to be 'set up'.

I think if we do draw a Irish side, we will go there on any given date ( maybe not ulster on 12th ) hear me out, its peace time in Ireland and Ulster regardless of the political issues in Stormont.

if we draw a south team , we will no doubt be allowed to play at the venue of the local club and watch the governments and media make a peace deal out of it like they did when England played Ireland a few years back .

might be talking keek but I have this feeling

I am not sure if you are aware but we were heading to Dublin 20 years to play Shelbourne at Tolka Park allocation given 3k IRC however pressure in the end got it moved just 1 week before it due to take place this was when Drumcree was ongoing at the time

20 years on no doubt things are different if we are to play either side of the border it will most likely in Belfast or Dublin regardless who we play

Rangers took £20 out of my account the other day. I'm assuming that was for the travel club?

With teams playing cross border in the Balkans etc. I'm not sure they'd lose to much sleep over us going to Ireland, Northern or Republic.

Info on groups:

In the qualifying rounds the teams are divided into groups with the same number of seeded and unseeded teams. A few hours before the draw a computer system is used to prepare the groups such that teams of the same association are not in the same group and and that all groups are about equal strength (in terms of ranking). Then all clubs in each group are ordered randomly and identified by a number. For these draws there are only two bowls with numbered balls, one with the seeded numbers and one with the unseeded numbers. The draw determines the pairs in the groups: e.g. (7 vs 4) which means that the 7th team of each group plays against the 4th club of each group.

For the draw of the 1st round the 94 teams are probably divided into 7 groups of 10 teams and 2 groups of 12 teams.

There is never an easy opponent in a European game

Just need team selection right, tactics right and a bit of luck and you never know. Not much to do

Is there much chance of getting a ticket for the first European away game if this is your first year in the travel club? Thinking about being ready to book flights etc on the day of the draw but unsure of how the ticketing works. Are spares easy enough to source etc. I read something about needing ID to pick up tickets so thats making me think spares aren’t possible unless you’re in the home end. Appreciate any replies.

Is there much chance of getting a ticket for the first European away game if this is your first year in the travel club? Thinking about being ready to book flights etc on the day of the draw but unsure of how the ticketing works. Are spares easy enough to source etc. I read something about needing ID to pick up tickets so thats making me think spares aren’t possible unless you’re in the home end. Appreciate any replies.

A lot depends on the demand of the game

If you opt for official travel then your tickets comes with it but you have successful for that

If you opt for independent travel again in order to gain a ticket you need to be successful and that is picked-up on location where we are playing ID needed, Travel Club card or passport if they haven't got your travel club card out on time

Both work on a points system

It not like domestic games where spares are available

I hope we avoid any team from a country that has "summer football" running. We'll essentially still be in pre-season again, while such teams can have 10 or more league games under their belt already by then. Take Morelos' side of last season. After a winter break, they started on January 28th and played through the summer, he didn't get any sort of break because of that ... and it was a real shame that Pedro didn't threw him in straight away ... if he was available.

Anyway, it will be a big ask to get to the group stages, not least when the quality sides join in.

You shouldn't have much problem getting a ticket.

I hope we avoid any team from a country that has "summer football" running. We'll essentially still be in pre-season again, while such teams can have 10 or more league games under their belt already by then. Take Morelos' side of last season. After a winter break, they started on January 28th and played through the summer, he didn't get any sort of break because of that ... and it was a real shame that Pedro didn't threw him in straight away ... if he was available.

Anyway, it will be a big ask to get to the group stages, not least when the quality sides join in.

This. Match fitness levels will not be up to scratch and we'll (hopefully) have a team many of whom haven't played with each other. The Scandinavian teams also happen to be among the best we could play so best avoided.

Round 2 is the key one, should we actually get past round 1 this year that is.

If we beat a seeded team in round 2, we would then become seeded in round 3.

So we really need to avoid a Sevilla or Besiktas if we get to round 2.

Would these sides not be likely depleted of key players due to the World cup (Sevilla & BJK). unsure of the dates. Doubt it would make a massive difference :p

The 1st round isn't regionalised. There are groups created and these groups should all be relatively equal in terms of strength - and that could result in some groups being more regionalised, but the draw itself isn't regionalised per se.

Also, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round qualifying draws are all made before the previous round is complete - so we could get lucky.

Based on projections, in the 3rd round our best chance would be against the likes of Molde (Norway), Rijeka (Croatia)or Limassol (Cyprus), and to then get drawn against Maribor in the 4th round. That's about as 'easy' as we can hope for.

From Bert Kassies site:

In the qualifying rounds the teams are divided into groups with the same number of seeded and unseeded teams. A few hours before the draw a computer system is used to prepare the groups such that teams of the same association are not in the same group and and that all groups are about equal strength (in terms of ranking). Then all clubs in each group are ordered randomly and identified by a number. For these draws there are only two bowls with numbered balls, one with the seeded numbers and one with the unseeded numbers. The draw determines the pairs in the groups: e.g. (7 vs 4) which means that the 7th team of each group plays against the 4th club of each group.

For the draw of the 1st round the 94 teams are probably divided into 7 groups of 10 teams and 2 groups of 12 teams.

The draw for the 2nd qualifying round is made before the results of the preliminary round and the 1st qualifying round are known. Clubs of the preliminary round and the 1st qualifying round are seeded by the highest ranking of the clubs involved.

Last edited:
That is an outstanding piece of work!!!

I've sat and quickly researched every team which is sad I know but I was bored.

Vaduz
- Vaduz, Liechtenstein, 4th Swiss Challenge League - Unique as play in Lichtenstein cup and qualify for Europe that way, 5873 Capacity - Closest major airport is Zurich 134km

FCI Levadia - Tallin, Estonia - Qualified as Estonia Cup winners - Midseason currently 2nd - capacity 4880 - Closest major airport Tallin

Milsami Orhei - Orhei, Moldova - Qualified as Cup Winners - 9 games into season currently 2nd - Capacity 3023 - Closest major airport Chisinau 63km

Stjarnan - Garðabær, Iceland - Qualified as 2nd in Icelandic league - 6 games into new season currently 9th - Capacity 2300 - Closest major airport Reykjavík 40km

Birkirkara* - Birkirkara, Malta - Qualified as 4th In Maltese Premier League - Capacity 17500 - Closest major airport Malta International 8km

Ferencvaros - Budapest, Hungary - Qualified as 2nd in Hungarian League - Capacity 23698 - Closest major airport Budapest

Cliftonville - Everyone knows. Capacity 8000 (3000 seated)

DAC Dunajska Streda - Dunajska Streda, Slovakia - Qualifed as 3rd in Slovak league - Capacity 12700 - Closest major airport Bratislava 50km

Buducnost Podgorica - Podgorica, Montenegro - qualified as 2nd in Montenegro - Capacity 15230 - Closest Major Airport Podgorica

Siroki Brijeg - Široki Brijeg, Bosnia - Qualified as 4th in Bosnia - Capacity 5628 - Closest major airport Dubrovnik, Croatia 156km (I think)

Pyunik Yerevan - Yerevan, Armenia - Qualified as 5th in Armenia (4th were disqualified) - Capacity 2000 - Closest major airport well there's an airport in the city closest one I've heard of is Tbilisi, Georgia 291km

Partizani Tirana - Tirana, Albania - Qualfied 5th in Albania League - Capacity 12724 - Closest major airport Tirana (can fly direct from London)

Chikhura Sachkhere - Sachkhere, Georgia - Qualified as Georgian cup winners, Currently 13 games into season sitting 4th - Capacity 2000 - Closest Airport Tbilisi 148km

Petrocub Hincesti - Hincesti, Moldova - Qualified as 3rd in Moldova - Currently 9 games into new season sitting 3rd - Capacity 2672 - Closest Airport Chisinau 28km

Zaria Balti - Balti, Moldova, Qualified as 5th in Moldova (as the 4th team went bust) 9 games into new season sitting bottom (8th) - Capacity 5953 - Closest Airport Iasi, Romania 93km (163km from Chisnau)

FK Trakai* - Vilnius, Lithuania - Qualified as 3rd in Lithuania - 17 games into new season sitting 3rd - Capacity 5422 - Closest Airport Vilnius

Luftetari Gjirkokaster - Gjirokastër, Albania - Qualified as 3rd in Albania - Capacity 8400 - Closest airport Tirana 222km

Laci - Laci, Albania, - Qualified as 4th in Albania - Capacity 5000 - Closest Airport Probably Tirana no idea how far.

IBV- Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland - Qualified as Icelandic cup winners - 6 games into new season sitting 11th Capacity 3034 - Closest Airport well its close to Reykjavik on a map but it's an island so %^*& no idea how we'd get there I assume they would move it

Ujpest - Budapest, Hungary - Qualified as Hungarian cup winners - Capacity 13500 - Closest major airport Budapest

Liepaja - Liepaja, Latvia - Qualified as Latvian Cup Winners 10 games into new season sitting 4th - Capacity 5000 - Closest airport Riga 209km

Europa FC* - Gibraltar - Cup winners - Capacity 2500 - Closest major airport Malaga 136km

B36 Torshavn* - Torshavn, Faroe Islands - Finished 3rd in League - Capacity 5000 - Closest major airport no idea would likely be a chartered flight.

Shkupi - Skopje, Macedonia - 4th in Macedonia - Capacity 5000 - Closest major airport Skopje

KuPS Kuopio - Kuopio, Finland - 2nd in Finnish League - currently 13 games into new season sitting 2nd - Capacity 4700 - Nearest major airport Helsinki 380km

Ilves Tampere - Tampere, Finland - qualified as 3rd in Finland - Currently 12 games into new season sitting 5th - capacity 5000 - 172km from Helsinki

Lahti - Lahti, Finland - qualified as 4th in Finland - Currently 11 games into new season sitting 4th - Capacity 4847 - nearest major airport Helsinki 98km

Shamrock Rovers - Everyone knows - 6000 capacity

Derry City - Londonderry, NI - Everyone knows - Capacity 7,700 (2,900 seated)

Samtredia - Samtredia Georgia - 3rd in Georgia - Capacity 5000 - nearest major airport Tiblisi 278km

Folgore* - Falciano San Marino - 2nd in San Marino - Capacity 500 - nearest major airport Bologna

Riga FC - Riga, Latvia, Qualified as 3rd in Latvia, the new season started currently 5th - Capacity 1000 - nearest major airport Riga.

Narva Trans - Narva, Estonia - Qualified as 5th (4th team merged with another team) - Capacity 2200 - nearest major airport St Petersburg, Russia 148km, Tallin is 212km

Stumbras Kaunas - Kaunas, Lithuania - Qualifed as Cup Winners - Capacity 9180 - Nearest major airport is Kaunas

Bala Town* - Bala, Wales - Qualified as 4th in Welsh League (2nd didn't get a license) - Capacity 3000

Gandzasar Kapan - Yerevan, Armenia, Qualified as cup winners - Capacity 14500 - Closest airport Tibilsi 291km

Banants Yerevan - Yervan, Armenia - Qualifed as 2nd in Armenia - Capacity 6000 - Closest airport Tiblisi 291km

Balzan FC - Malta - Qualifed as 2nd in Malta - Capacity 6000 - Closest Airport Malta International

Gzira United* - Malta - Qualifed as 3rd - Capacity 2000 - Closest airport Malta International

Racing Union - Luxembourg - Qualified as cup winners - Capacity 7000 (assuming national stadium) - Closest Airport - Accessible via Luxembourg City airport and France, Belgium, Germany.

Progres Niederkorn - Qualified as 2nd - Capacity 7000 (assuming national stadium) - Closest Airport - Accessible via Luxembourg City airport and France, Belgium, Germany.

Coleraine - Everyone knows - Capacity 4500

Glenavon - Everyone knows - Capacity 4000

Connah’s Quay Nomads - Qualified as Welsh Cup winners - Capacity 1200

Runavik* - Faroe Islands - Capacity 2000 - Closest airport again no idea how we're getting there.

*Assuming the top seed qualifies from preliminary.

NOTE: This is information I researched myself and the capacity is for their home stadium. It's likely some of the games will be switched to different venues. Please let me know of any errors.

I think I'm also missing a few teams. Possible trips to all the above and maybe Andorra and Kosovo depending if they beat a bigger seed in 1st round.

What is the dates of the qualifier rounds all legs?

12 July: First qualifying round, first leg
19 July: First qualifying round, second leg
23 July: Third qualifying round draw, Nyon
26 July: Second qualifying round, first leg

August
2 August: Second qualifying round, second leg
6 August: Play-off round draw, Nyon
9 August: Third qualifying round, first leg
16 August: Third qualifying round, second leg
23 August: Play-off round, first leg
30 August: Play-off round, second leg

Good grief. I need help Bears. How do you explain seeding to kids?

I've tried and failed miserably. :(

Theres a 5 year UEFA league table for the teams in each round.

Teams in top half play the teams in bottom half

That's a great help mate. Simplifies it as I was coming at it from the coefficient perspective. Cheers nelster.

you cant.....its a national point system ...,..

which involves national sides and international sides

no_michael_bluth.gif

Have said before, but Bert knows UEFA rules better than UEFA. Incredible knowledge and just about able to explain to the rest of us

We have a huge task getting to the group stages. Huge. But we need to progress to get the co-efficient improved, even just to give us a better chance

Know it is a different system, but Northern Ireland were out of the top 100, now in the top 30. Just takes a few good wins to turn it around

That and avoiding Sevilla!

Do the Gibraltar teams play European games in Gibraltar?

I think I'm thinking about their national team, didn't they play qualifiers in Portugal as their ground was too small or something ?

Maybe rectified now

Be a good trip.

Gonna be really, really tough to get anywhere near the group stages it has to be said.

Being an optimist I don't fear the qualifying rounds, in fact, if Gerrard improves Rangers defensively, I'm fairly confident Rangers will do well enough. Bearing in mind that there is touted to be a big turnover this summer.

The players who have been here for a good while, they should hit the ground running. Again, all of that depends whether the likes of Morelos will be here this season coming or will be off, hard to judge.

well explain it better smarty pants :rolleyes::p:D

Well for starters it’s got nothing to do with international sides.

Each team has a combination of their own points total of a five year added to the nation’s (ie the league they play in, nothing to do with international teams) total.

The nation’s total is derived from the performances of it’s club sides over the same five year period and is how the country ranking is sorted. Ie how Italy and England etc end up with automotive CL spots and Scotland doesn’t.

If the team hasn’t played in Europe before, the are given the contoured total on its own for seeding purposes in their draw.

Simple!

Well for starters it’s got nothing to do with international sides.

Each team has a combination of their own points total of a five year added to the nation’s (ie the league they play in, nothing to do with international teams) total.

The nation’s total is derived from the performances of it’s club sides over the same five year period and is how the country ranking is sorted. Ie how Italy and England etc end up with automotive CL spots and Scotland doesn’t.

If the team hasn’t played in Europe before, the are given the contoured total on its own for seeding purposes in their draw.

Simple!
hardly simple Laudy

Do the Gibraltar teams play European games in Gibraltar?

I think I'm thinking about their national team, didn't they play qualifiers in Portugal as their ground was too small or something ?

Maybe rectified now

Be a good trip.

We had a chance of drawing Lincoln Red Imps last year and from memory if we did the game was to be in the Estadio Algarve in Faro.

Being an optimist I don't fear the qualifying rounds, in fact, if Gerrard improves Rangers defensively, I'm fairly confident Rangers will do well enough. Bearing in mind that there is touted to be a big turnover this summer.

The players who have been here for a good while, they should hit the ground running. Again, all of that depends whether the likes of Morelos will be here this season coming or will be off, hard to judge.

Mate I’m a massive optimist when it comes to Rangers. Always have been but that is an extremely daunting prospect for us.

Back