Celtic are poised to pay multimillion-pound damages within months after agreeing to settle legal claims over systematic child abuse

I'll never understand how parents can take children to that place. It sends a shiver up my spine, tbh.
Or how Alan Brazil can still be a supporter

If that happened at Rangers to a relative of mine, there wouldn't be a single Gers fan left in our family. And we wouldn't be keeping it quiet to protect the club's good name

It won't take away the horrors that the victims suffered but it might make life a little easier knowing that scitlands shame f.c have admitted fault and made recompense. Will the Scottish government go after this club the same way they went after David Goodwillie? I think we know they won't it will be the same old nothing to see or hear.

Is there still an ongoing investigation in the USA over abuse of boys at a trip over there ?

Did a boy not report it and celtic convened an emergency meeting in some airport and the boy was silenced with a full time contract on his return.

“Section 5 of the Children (Scotland) Act 1995 creates a statutory duty to report any suspicions of child abuse i.e. a duty to do what is reasonable in all the circumstances to safeguard the child's health, development and welfare. Failure to report concerns, turning a blind eye or failing to protect a child may result in legal action.”

During the notorious enquiry that was in the legal framework of SFA’s policies, it has been removed. Someday they will face their comeuppance.

How do sporting sanctions help the victims?

Please try and keep the focus on the right place
While you’re 100% right the focus should be on the victims and getting them all the help, support and compensation they rightly deserve. Sanctions criminal or sporting would act as a deterrent and warning for other clubs that turn a blind eye or to make sure they follow proper vetting and disclosure procedures in how they protect kids in sport.

Friend of a friend played for their boys club, said as kids they all rushed to get on mini bus after games and not have to take a lift in the car of coach ( not sure which one) as he was a dirty old man! So ffs even kids knew it.

James Dornan MSP knew through his son.

Friend of a friend played for their boys club, said as kids they all rushed to get on mini bus after games and not have to take a lift in the car of coach ( not sure which one) as he was a dirty old man! So ffs even kids knew it.
everyone, and I mean everyone, knew.

Players, management, directors, parents, youths. They all knew but let it slide to protect the good name of the club.

The preyed on their own. The rape gangs in England preyed on the vulnerable they viewed as animals, Celtic facilitated, financed and condoned the abuse of the boys of their own community.

Monsters, to a man.

So according to you, they get to walk away with stuff going back seven decades, SNP free?

Because I'll tell you now, if it had taken place at Ibrox, all the scum politicians and journalists, who have taken a vow of O'Merta on this since the 60s, would be climbing over themselves to get us shut down.

From the Scottish Express

Celtic boys' club sex abuse action could end in months with 'millions' to be paid out​

Solicitors representing the survivors have said 'significant progress' has been made of late which could result in a settlement

Solicitors say “significant progress” has been made towards Celtic settling legal claims of historical abuse for what could be millions of pounds. More than 20 former players have launched a US-style class action against the club for damages.

Celtic indicated it was seeking to settle the cases in September. Thompsons Solicitors has now said the valuation of all cases has progressed in the last six months.

A spokesperson added: “We do not yet have all necessary evidence to commence settlement negotiations and so the court has granted a further short list of four months to allow opportunity to do so given the complexities of this task.”

In recent years several former coaches and officials at the club have been convicted of sexual offences against teenage players spanning decades. Last year a judge gave the go-ahead for a US style “class action” group litigation to proceed against Celtic for alleged abuses at Celtic Boys Club.

The boys’ club was established as a feeder team to the senior Celtic side in 1966 and the two clubs had close ties, sharing players, officials and premises. Celtic had always insisted that it wasn’t responsible because the boys’ club was an “entirely different organisation.”

awyers acting for the former players argue the boys club and Celtic were “intimately connected” and the senior club was “vicariously liable” for assaults carried out. The litigation relates to historical claims of sexual assault by convicted paedophiles Jim Torbett - the founder of the Boys Club - and Frank Cairney, a former coach.

More recently Celtic said it was continuing discussions with the victims’ lawyers.

Why shouldnt they face sanctions?

The Scottish media & Celtic & their ex players all demanded Rangers get punished for our financial woes so, why shouldn't the Scottish football authorities come down heavily and sanction Celtic in the way they punished us or is finance woes more important to them than the protection of children?

I've tried all morning to put my thoughts into words on this but I'm still struggling. For decades the victims and their families were told they were lying and the fan base didn't care. Former club staff admitted it was an open secret what was going on and the fan base didn't care and the authorities didn't react. The courts decided that these offences had occurred and the fan base didn't care and wider Scottish society just accepted it. Now the club is approaching as much of an admission of guilt as the victims will ever get and the response will be the same. Because they've always known and been fine with it. How did we get to a stage where people, some of whom will be parents, are publicly willing to admit supporting these offences and the attempted cover up? Where former and current players and staff are clearly not ashamed of anything the club has done? Where the most senior figures in society do nothing about this and the public just shrugs? We're expecting justice or decency about this, but we're dealing with fundamentally indecent people.
You are fundamentally dealing with the RC church and its acolytes.

The primary focus should ALWAYS be on the victims & them getting whatever kind of peace & closure they can get, after decades of carrying this around, due to Celtic as a club's behaviour.

No doubt.

But dont you think, as they did in USA with Penn State for ONE paedophile, the law & relevant authorities should do all they can to send a message to protect FUTURE children from being harmed & abused ?

Celtic at one stage had SEVEN now convicted paedophiles at their club.

So according to you, they get to walk away with stuff going back seven decades, SNP free?

Because I'll tell you now, if it had taken place at Ibrox, all the scum politicians and journalists, who have taken a vow of O'Merta on this since the 60s, would be climbing over themselves to get us shut down.
You certainly enjoy putting words in people's mouths don't you?

I never said anything like that.

The thread title is about what the victims will get, that's 100% the most important thing

When things move on and if sanctions were considered by the SFA and a thread was started based on that, then let's discuss it then

But just now it's about seeking justice for the victims, then punishment for Celtic. Celtic paying the victims is not their punishment.

Why shouldnt they face sanctions?

The Scottish media & Celtic & their ex players all demanded Rangers get punished for our financial woes so, why shouldn't the Scottish football authorities come down heavily and sanction Celtic in the way they punished us or is finance woes more important to them than the protection of children?
I never said they shouldn't face sanctions

This thread is about the victims and what they due for the horrific abuse they have been through.

Sanctions are a different part of the equation

Let's focus on the victims

The primary focus should ALWAYS be on the victims & them getting whatever kind of peace & closure they can get, after decades of carrying this around, due to Celtic as a club's behaviour.

No doubt.

But dont you think, as they did in USA with Penn State for ONE paedophile, the law & relevant authorities should do all they can to send a message to protect FUTURE children from being harmed & abused ?

And we are led to believe that the cops knew nothing about this?

I mean, come on.

Did intervention from the archdiocese occur? Maybe, maybe not.

But one thing is for sure, someone, somewhere knows.

And we are led to believe that the cops knew nothing about this?

I mean, come on.

Did intervention from the archdiocese occur? Maybe, maybe not.

But one thing is for sure, someone, somewhere knows.

These took decades until the ultimate convictions, as you know TC, but why did it take that long as you allude to ?

These people went through hell.

No doubt.

Yes

I think there should be sanctions

But this article is about getting justice for the victims

If and when discussion of sanctions come I will be happy to support push for the maximum punishment

But this moment is about the victims and the support they need

In Gordon Woods case I believe he's sincere enough to see this all the way through. For the most of these poor souls though, and this is no criticism, but I fear once the prospect of a real monetary offer is on the table the NDA is an inevitable compromise.
He's posted the story on his X page but hasn't said if he's taking the settlement or pursuing it to the end

I never said they shouldn't face sanctions

This thread is about the victims and what they due for the horrific abuse they have been through.

Sanctions are a different part of the equation

Let's focus on the victims
Do you think people arent also thinking about the victims? Of course they are but, wouldnt sanctions against Celtic also be a sense of justice for the victims as they would see them being punished?

Do you think people arent also thinking about the victims? Of course they are but, wouldnt sanctions against Celtic also be a sense of justice for the victims as they would see them being punished?
My experience is always there are 2 parts after a crime

Part 1 "What can we do to support the victims"

Part 2 "What can we do to punish the guilty"

At this stage we are on the first part, let's stay there for now.

Celtic paying compensation is part 1. There fans will see this as part 2, punishment, but it's not. It's their duty to pay up.

I will think about Part 2 when it comes up, and raise questions if it doesn't appear to happen.

He's posted the story on his X page but hasn't said if he's taking the settlement or pursuing it to the end
Pursuing what exactly???

To raise a civil court action you are required to ask the court to do something. This is known as “the crave”.

So I’m not entirely sure what he wants from the crave

Is that not exactly what has happened. They have went to court and won, it was only ever going to result in monetary damages. It’s up to the authorities to hold them to account for prioritising their ability to win a football game over people’s lives.
Some are probably going down the settlement OOC route which may include no admissions of guilt and confidentiality clauses. Gordon had stated that route wasn't acceptable to him.

He wanted the truth to be out not via an OOC settlement.

He had put on his Facebook He wasn't keeping too well. Think that was around January time so not sure what he intends going forward.

Hes been a shining light in this fight against denial, lies and deflection.

This is only the victims who agreed to settle.

There are others still taking them all the way
I appreciate if this is something you can't tell us, but I couldn't see that reported anywhere, is that just something you know personally or can I find it somewhere to read?

These took decades until the ultimate convictions, as you know TC, but why did it take that long as you allude to ?

These people went through hell.
Maybe that explains the lack of front page coverage mate.

As you are and everyone else is doubtless aware, this goes way, way beyond the confines of Celtic Park; and the implications therein are far reaching.

Two pillars of democracy by way of the judiciary and the media, are in no small way implicated in the protracted nature of this national scandal.

If it is afforded scant treatment by either or both, then we as concerned citizens or subjects if you prefer, are entitled to ask, why?

Anything less would constitute an abandonment of the common good.

Last edited:
Scum forums seem strangely quiet about this, can't find a thread about it on any forums or subreddits. It's like it's an agreed upon coordinated effort to keep it hush.

More interested in protecting their club than doing the right thing, and they have the gall to try claim they care about morality.

Disgusting institution from top to bottom.

Last edited:
I`m fed up with all this dragging on now , so how do the Victims feel , its as if the Bheasts want to drag it on and on , all this should have been resolved years ago , but obviously they thought they would get away with the disgusting crimes .

And Justice for all.

My experience is always there are 2 parts after a crime

Part 1 "What can we do to support the victims"

Part 2 "What can we do to punish the guilty"

At this stage we are on the first part, let's stay there for now.

Celtic paying compensation is part 1. There fans will see this as part 2, punishment, but it's not. It's their duty to pay up.

I will think about Part 2 when it comes up, and raise questions if it doesn't appear to happen.
In a normal country perhaps. There will be no sporting sanctions handed down to Celtic.

I`m fed up with all this dragging on now , so how do the Victims feel , its as if the Bheasts want to drag it on and on , all this should have been resolved years ago , but obviously they thought they would get away with the disgusting crimes .

And Justice for all.
It’s unfair on the victims but there lawyers will not be disconcerted about it. Another. 4 months is probably about another £1m onto the final bill.

Hope the media have the courage to dig deeper into this and not allow the fhilth drive the narrative and skim over it,Don’t really see them doing it considering they’ve ignored it for decades.

Once money gets handed out just wait and see the floodgates open

The rotten mob didn't want to hand out money because that's admitting liability

Now theyr backed into a corner they need to hand out money to keep the sordid details out the public domain in court

Scum till the end

Some are probably going down the settlement OOC route which may include no admissions of guilt and confidentiality clauses. Gordon had stated that route wasn't acceptable to him.

He wanted the truth to be out not via an OOC settlement.

He had put on his Facebook He wasn't keeping too well. Think that was around January time so not sure what he intends going forward.

Hes been a shining light in this fight against denial, lies and deflection.
Hope he can see that regardless of how it ends, they have won.

Hope the media have the courage to dig deeper into this and not allow the fhilth drive the narrative and skim over it,Don’t really see them doing it considering they’ve ignored it for decades.
Ask yourself - who could possibly have leverage over the media on this?

I can think of four concerned parties off the top of my head.

Not one mention of this on Kerrydale street by the way.

Even their fans are hardwired to cover up the systemic child abuse. The next time you tell yourself that boy in your work is “alright for a Tim” just know that they’d likely sweep this whole mess under the carpet if they could.
Learned it from their church

Two points, one surely this must show up at their AGM it’s a financial loss and as such it’s a business? Two the Scottish Media which IS! run by Scum I haven’t seen or heard a thing, plus will there be any comments in Holyrood very much doubt it, after all it’s infested!
It will show up in their accounts at some point as they are a public company.
It will probably be under exceptional items while the legals will go under legal and professional fees.

From the Scottish Express

Celtic boys' club sex abuse action could end in months with 'millions' to be paid out​

Solicitors representing the survivors have said 'significant progress' has been made of late which could result in a settlement

Solicitors say “significant progress” has been made towards Celtic settling legal claims of historical abuse for what could be millions of pounds. More than 20 former players have launched a US-style class action against the club for damages.

Celtic indicated it was seeking to settle the cases in September. Thompsons Solicitors has now said the valuation of all cases has progressed in the last six months.

A spokesperson added: “We do not yet have all necessary evidence to commence settlement negotiations and so the court has granted a further short list of four months to allow opportunity to do so given the complexities of this task.”

In recent years several former coaches and officials at the club have been convicted of sexual offences against teenage players spanning decades. Last year a judge gave the go-ahead for a US style “class action” group litigation to proceed against Celtic for alleged abuses at Celtic Boys Club.

The boys’ club was established as a feeder team to the senior Celtic side in 1966 and the two clubs had close ties, sharing players, officials and premises. Celtic had always insisted that it wasn’t responsible because the boys’ club was an “entirely different organisation.”

awyers acting for the former players argue the boys club and Celtic were “intimately connected” and the senior club was “vicariously liable” for assaults carried out. The litigation relates to historical claims of sexual assault by convicted paedophiles Jim Torbett - the founder of the Boys Club - and Frank Cairney, a former coach.

More recently Celtic said it was continuing discussions with the victims’ lawyers.

A number of years ago, I was up at the Mitchell doing some research for the mag or website.

For whatever reason ,, I've got April/May 69 on my micrrofiche reel and lo and behold, I've stumbled on the yahoo chairman, Robert Kelly, waxing lyrical in one of the rags, in the aftermath of 69 SC final about the boys club and the talent still coming through.

Which is fine,. If I'm chairman of a club, which has unprecedented recent success and a production line of home made talent coming through, then I'd be boasting too.

The tone of the article, however unpalatable it was to read as a Rangers fan, was that the boys club, was very much part of that club.

The separate entity claim from recently, shows how rancid this club and fans really are.

This year's talk about pay outs is an admission of guilt.

This lot should be thrown out of football altogether.

Then Robert Kelly might get his wish harking back to 1952, and they can open up the scum hut as a venue for GAA.

Or how Alan Brazil can still be a supporter

If that happened at Rangers to a relative of mine, there wouldn't be a single Gers fan left in our family. And we wouldn't be keeping it quiet to protect the club's good name
I don't understand this either, see if it was maybe only one or two people involved in the abuse then OK maybe you could understand him,but it was everyone from there greatest manager stein,to billy mcneil,Tommy burns,all the directors, fucking every lady's front bottom knew about it.

Maybe that explains the lack of front page coverage mate.

As you are and everyone else is doubtless aware, this goes way, way beyond the confines of Celtic Park; and the implications therein are far reaching.

Two pillars of democracy by way of the judiciary and the media, are in no small way implicated in the protracted nature of this national scandal.

If it is afforded scant treatment by either or both, then we as concerned citizens or subjects if you prefer, are entitled to ask, why?

Anything less would constitute an abandonment of the common good.

Spot on TC.

It will need to the Swahili media, because it will not be the scum here in Scotland.

Them paying out ‘millions’ to victims isn’t anywhere near enough. That mob would hope to pay out money which they have stockpiled for a number of years now and then allow the whole thing to move on. They would lol to avoid the sordid stories being told in country and then again in the newspapers. To have it simply acknowledged and then have to pay millions with no further punishment or exploration of exactly what the hell was going on in that disgusting organisation is nowhere near good enough.

Back