Celtic are poised to pay multimillion-pound damages within months after agreeing to settle legal claims over systematic child abuse

A number of years ago, I was up at the Mitchell doing some research for the mag or website.

For whatever reason ,, I've got April/May 69 on my micrrofiche reel and lo and behold, I've stumbled on the yahoo chairman, Robert Kelly, waxing lyrical in one of the rags, in the aftermath of 69 SC final about the boys club and the talent still coming through.

Which is fine,. If I'm chairman of a club, which has unprecedented recent success and a production line of home made talent coming through, then I'd be boasting too.

The tone of the article, however unpalatable it was to read as a Rangers fan, was that the boys club, was very much part of that club.

The separate entity claim from recently, shows how rancid this club and fans really are.

This year's talk about pay outs is an admission of guilt.

This lot should be thrown out of football altogether.

Then Robert Kelly might get his wish harking back to 1952, and they can open up the scum hut as a venue for GAA.

CBC were brought into the Celtic "family" officially in 1970.

Make no mistake CBC were an intricate part of Sellikfitbawclub

It's the fact that those bastions of morality in the Scottish press, you know the ones that don't like Rangers fans singing songs, all knew and said nothing.

To paraphrase one of them, Gerry McNee, 'They are the absolute dregs of humanity'.

There should be a documentary on this similar to the one for Barry Bennell in England.

I don't know enough about the Barry Bennell story to make a comment.

Can this stuff happen anywhere? I reckon it does. I played with Croftfoot Utd in Castlemilk circa 74/75 and the guy running the club would invite a few of us back to his flat and he'd hand out scud mags.

As any 13/14 y/o back then will tell you, a glimpse of that top of the legs beehive was a sight to behold. But even back then and enjoying the pictures, something was telling me, something is off here. An adult shouldn't be doing this.

Lo and behold, a few years later and I read he was done for child stuff.

However, what happened at the cesspit is industrial scale, off the map abuse.

They need thrown out of football altogether.

There should be a documentary on this similar to the one for Barry Bennell in England.
Did Man City pay money out voluntarily. Did they ever receive any sanctions. I didn't watch the documentary.

I predict that the victims accept the payouts, which is their right obviously. Celtic get NDA attached and no admission of guilt. There will be zero criminal charges going forward for the club as its the individuals who have been charged and jailed etc. Not the institution.

There will also be zero sporting sanctions from the SFA as they will see it as a police matter and not be able to actually put blame on Celtic. It will be how Celtic have decided to pay money to help the victims.

Remember there was also an enquiry already with zero outcome.

Friend of a friend played for their boys club, said as kids they all rushed to get on mini bus after games and not have to take a lift in the car of coach ( not sure which one) as he was a dirty old man! So ffs even kids knew it.
Other boys clubs who played against Celtic were also aware of the paedo issue.
I have a friend who played for another team against them and he had a good game.
They sent a scout to watch him after that and were interested in signing him.
They spoke to the guy who ran my pals team about their interest.
The guy came to his house at night and had a conversation with my pal and parents and warned him not to go there due to their obnoxious practices.
He didn’t.

Yes but, they denied denied denied that all those found guilty were Celtic employees but have now admitted vicarious liability so, wouldnt this make any policy null & void as they clearly didnt tell the Insurers all information they knew?
I honestly dont know mate. As i say, im sure that rancid lot have covered themselves against potential eventualities. Time will tell though.

I don't know enough about the Barry Bennell story to make a comment.

Can this stuff happen anywhere? I reckon it does. I played with Croftfoot Utd in Castlemilk circa 74/75 and the guy running the club would invite a few of us back to his flat and he'd hand out scud mags.

As any 13/14 y/o back then will tell you, a glimpse of that top of the legs beehive was a sight to behold. But even back then and enjoying the pictures, something was telling me, something is off here. An adult shouldn't be doing this.

Lo and behold, a few years later and I read he was done for child stuff.

However, what happened at the cesspit is industrial scale, off the map abuse.

They need thrown out of football altogether.
I think there is a difference between it happening everywhere and celtic FC
I've no doubt it happens/happened under people's noses in a lot of clubs etc
The difference is that Celtic FC knew from an early stage there was a problem at Their Boys Club and they did nothing
Take that in for a minute they at the time early doors done nothing
Every manager since then said nothing
Every Captain since then said nothing
Every Director, Official everybody and anybody said f#ck all
Over 50 Years of Silence

They were proud of their boys club for decades, their nursery club, feeder club, youth team (not to be confused with their 18-21 reserves, also called "youths"). Those were terms used for the Boys Club.

When the reporting came out by the DR in the 90s, it shifted to a "Celtic BC has nothing to do with Celtic FC, but we will set up a hotline for them... (whilst still hosting their functions and having direct ties on and off the pitch well into the 2000s).

About a year later there was a report of the abuse at Celtic East BC (which they said had nothing to do with Celtic BC in Glasgow (which had nothing to do with Celtic FC)).

Still wasn't until mid 2010s that they paid for the name change of that "entity" to St Patricks.

They have lied and denied and lied again, all the while everyone could see it.

In Gordon Woods case I believe he's sincere enough to see this all the way through. For the most of these poor souls though, and this is no criticism, but I fear once the prospect of a real monetary offer is on the table the NDA is an inevitable compromise.

I listened to a Radio 4 legal programme a few months ago and it focussed on 'out of court' settlements under English civil law in class actions. I was shocked to hear that if someone involved in the action does not accept the agreed offer and decides to take the matter on to the court then - even if they win in court - they become liable for a share of the costs, including those of the party they're attempting to sue. According to the legal expert who was explaining the situation, the practice is deliberately intended to put litigants into the position of being forced into acceptance once the legal teams of both sides have reached agreement. I don't know if that applies in Scots Law.

The difference is that Celtic FC knew from an early stage there was a problem at Their Boys Club and they did nothing
Over 50 Years of Silence
Some didn’t say nothing, some of them denied it or rubbished the claims

Did Man City pay money out voluntarily. Did they ever receive any sanctions. I didn't watch the documentary.

I predict that the victims accept the payouts, which is their right obviously. Celtic get NDA attached and no admission of guilt. There will be zero criminal charges going forward for the club as its the individuals who have been charged and jailed etc. Not the institution.

There will also be zero sporting sanctions from the SFA as they will see it as a police matter and not be able to actually put blame on Celtic. It will be how Celtic have decided to pay money to help the victims.

Remember there was also an enquiry already with zero outcome.

Decades of abuse before he was finally brought to justice: Timeline of the Barry Bennell case​

Early 1970s: Starts his coaching career aged about 18 at renowned London-based junior club Senrab FC, Bennell told police.

Mid to late 1970s: Coaches at Butlin's holiday camp in Pwllheli, North Wales, and also begins working with Manchester youth team Whitehill FC, he also tells detectives.

November 1979 to July 1981: Employed as a resident social worker at the now closed Taxal Edge children's home in Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire.

1982 to 1985: Coaches youth teams in Derbyshire which provided several youth recruits for Manchester City.

1985 to 1992: Bennell is employed by or on behalf of Crewe Alexandra apart from a spell coaching in Georgia, United States, in 1989 and 1990.

1990: Marries Linda Woodward, sister of one of his abuse victims, Andy Woodward. The couple go on to have two children.

1992 to 1994: Bennell is employed by or on behalf of Stoke City.

1994: He is arrested while on a 10-week tour of the United States when coaching a Staffordshire youth team.

1995: He is convicted in Florida of four counts of indecent assault on a young boy and sentenced to four years in jail. Spends time in custody prior to his conviction. His victim was also abused by Bennell in Britain, which leads to a domestic investigation.

January 1997: Bennell is featured in the Channel 4 documentary series Dispatches. Former youth player Ian Ackley waives his anonymity and tells the Soccer's Foul Play programme he was sexually abused by Bennell.

September 1997: US authorities deport Bennell to the UK at the conclusion of his sentence and on his arrival he is charged with sexual offences relating to a number of complainants.

June 1998: He pleads guilty at Chester Crown Court on the first day of his scheduled trial to 23 counts of sexual abuse relating to 15 complainants, aged from nine to 14, between 1978 and 1992. Victims include Mr Ackley and Mr Woodward. Twenty-two alleged offences are left to lie on file. He is sentenced to nine years in prison.

May 2015: Bennell pleads guilty at the same court on the first day of his scheduled trial to sexually abusing a 12-year-old boy in 1980. He is jailed for two years. His victim did not come forward in 1997 because of the effect he said it would have on his mother. When she died in 2013 he contacted police. The court hears he was abused at Bennell's living quarters at Taxal Edge while staying with him as he took part in coaching sessions in Macclesfield.

November 2016: Mr Woodward waives his anonymity to give emotional, powerful interviews to the Guardian and BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme. It leads to a number of complainants against Bennell contacting police and a fresh investigation begins.

January 2018: Bennell goes on trial at Liverpool Crown Court accused of 48 historical child sex offences against 11 complainants between 1979 and 1990.

February 2018: Bennell is jailed for 30 years at Liverpool Crown Court after being convicted of 52 child sexual offences against 12 boys in 2018.

July 2020: Bennell admits nine more sex offences - three counts of buggery and six counts of indecent assault in relation to two complainants between 1979 and 1988 who were aged between 11 and 14 at the time.

October 2020 : Bennell is sentenced at Chester Crown Court to four years in prison, in addition to the 30-year sentence he is already serving, for nine sexual offences against two boys.

The article says multimillion - how would do we reckon it will actually be?
Have nothing to base it on other than city paying 50k to a victim and this being worse so id guess 200k per victim plus legal fees. Maybe £6m all in? No idea really but it will be less than court and will be the lowest offer celtic could get them to accept

Decades of abuse before he was finally brought to justice: Timeline of the Barry Bennell case​

Early 1970s: Starts his coaching career aged about 18 at renowned London-based junior club Senrab FC, Bennell told police.

Mid to late 1970s: Coaches at Butlin's holiday camp in Pwllheli, North Wales, and also begins working with Manchester youth team Whitehill FC, he also tells detectives.

November 1979 to July 1981: Employed as a resident social worker at the now closed Taxal Edge children's home in Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire.

1982 to 1985: Coaches youth teams in Derbyshire which provided several youth recruits for Manchester City.

1985 to 1992: Bennell is employed by or on behalf of Crewe Alexandra apart from a spell coaching in Georgia, United States, in 1989 and 1990.

1990: Marries Linda Woodward, sister of one of his abuse victims, Andy Woodward. The couple go on to have two children.

1992 to 1994: Bennell is employed by or on behalf of Stoke City.

1994: He is arrested while on a 10-week tour of the United States when coaching a Staffordshire youth team.

1995: He is convicted in Florida of four counts of indecent assault on a young boy and sentenced to four years in jail. Spends time in custody prior to his conviction. His victim was also abused by Bennell in Britain, which leads to a domestic investigation.

January 1997: Bennell is featured in the Channel 4 documentary series Dispatches. Former youth player Ian Ackley waives his anonymity and tells the Soccer's Foul Play programme he was sexually abused by Bennell.

September 1997: US authorities deport Bennell to the UK at the conclusion of his sentence and on his arrival he is charged with sexual offences relating to a number of complainants.

June 1998: He pleads guilty at Chester Crown Court on the first day of his scheduled trial to 23 counts of sexual abuse relating to 15 complainants, aged from nine to 14, between 1978 and 1992. Victims include Mr Ackley and Mr Woodward. Twenty-two alleged offences are left to lie on file. He is sentenced to nine years in prison.

May 2015: Bennell pleads guilty at the same court on the first day of his scheduled trial to sexually abusing a 12-year-old boy in 1980. He is jailed for two years. His victim did not come forward in 1997 because of the effect he said it would have on his mother. When she died in 2013 he contacted police. The court hears he was abused at Bennell's living quarters at Taxal Edge while staying with him as he took part in coaching sessions in Macclesfield.

November 2016: Mr Woodward waives his anonymity to give emotional, powerful interviews to the Guardian and BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme. It leads to a number of complainants against Bennell contacting police and a fresh investigation begins.

January 2018: Bennell goes on trial at Liverpool Crown Court accused of 48 historical child sex offences against 11 complainants between 1979 and 1990.

February 2018: Bennell is jailed for 30 years at Liverpool Crown Court after being convicted of 52 child sexual offences against 12 boys in 2018.

July 2020: Bennell admits nine more sex offences - three counts of buggery and six counts of indecent assault in relation to two complainants between 1979 and 1988 who were aged between 11 and 14 at the time.

October 2020 : Bennell is sentenced at Chester Crown Court to four years in prison, in addition to the 30-year sentence he is already serving, for nine sexual offences against two boys.
So you have posted Bennells crimes. Nothing to do with Man City as a club though. That's what I asked. Also what compensation or guilt was attributed to Man City due to this scumbag having worked for the club

Edited as just checked and Man City won their case of no wrongdoing. No guilt and no compensation

The article says multimillion - how would do we reckon it will actually be?
Man City after Bennell launched a voluntary compensation scheme with a limit of £100k.per victim.

Important to state victims lost the case of vicarious liability against Man City principally because he was not employed by Man City.

However important in my opinion to outline my understanding that the case against Celtic FC more complex as there is more than one paedophile committing horrific acts of abuse.
Grigo will keep me right but the current case revolves around 2 paedophiles but in total there are at least 7 convicted abusers involved with Celtic Boys Club.

In England I am aware that 1 victim took a case to court and an significant five figure sum was agreed as settlement.

Test of vicarious liability

[stage 1] is, as it has always been, whether the tortfeasor is carrying on business on his own account or whether he is in a relationship akin to employment with the Defendant.
Stage 2 of the test was set out by Lord Nicholls in Dubai Aluminium Co Ltd v Salaam [2002] UKHL 48 [2003] 2 AC 366:

the wrongful conduct must be so closely connected with acts the partner or employee was authorised to do that, for the purpose of the liability of the firm or the employer to third parties, the wrongful conduct may fairly and properly be regarded as done by the partner while acting in the ordinary course of the firm’s business or the employee’s employment.

Last edited:
So you have posted Bennells crimes. Nothing to do with Man City as a club though. That's what I asked. Also what compensation or guilt was attributed to Man City due to this scumbag having worked for the club

Edited as just checked and Man City won their case of no wrongdoing. No guilt and no compensation
See 419 if that helps.

I listened to a Radio 4 legal programme a few months ago and it focussed on 'out of court' settlements under English civil law in class actions. I was shocked to hear that if someone involved in the action does not accept the agreed offer and decides to take the matter on to the court then - even if they win in court - they become liable for a share of the costs, including those of the party they're attempting to sue. According to the legal expert who was explaining the situation, the practice is deliberately intended to put litigants into the position of being forced into acceptance once the legal teams of both sides have reached agreement. I don't know if that applies in Scots Law.
And people wonder why there is crime.

This is just for 28 Torbett & Cairney victims.

McCafferty probably had the most & was also an employee.
Another thought, whilst others are trying to calculate possible payouts to the victims, I'm guessing that Celtc will be forced to cover the legal costs of the plaintiff and we know from past experience how heavy that bill is likely to be.

Over 50 Years of Silence

Absolutely in agreement.

How blatant does it get.

Ba face allegedly kicking Torbett physically out of the cesspit.

McNeill saying it was an open secret.

I wonder if the woke brigade would want to bring down their statues?

From the Scottish Express

Celtic boys' club sex abuse action could end in months with 'millions' to be paid out​

Solicitors representing the survivors have said 'significant progress' has been made of late which could result in a settlement

Solicitors say “significant progress” has been made towards Celtic settling legal claims of historical abuse for what could be millions of pounds. More than 20 former players have launched a US-style class action against the club for damages.

Celtic indicated it was seeking to settle the cases in September. Thompsons Solicitors has now said the valuation of all cases has progressed in the last six months.

A spokesperson added: “We do not yet have all necessary evidence to commence settlement negotiations and so the court has granted a further short list of four months to allow opportunity to do so given the complexities of this task.”

In recent years several former coaches and officials at the club have been convicted of sexual offences against teenage players spanning decades. Last year a judge gave the go-ahead for a US style “class action” group litigation to proceed against Celtic for alleged abuses at Celtic Boys Club.

The boys’ club was established as a feeder team to the senior Celtic side in 1966 and the two clubs had close ties, sharing players, officials and premises. Celtic had always insisted that it wasn’t responsible because the boys’ club was an “entirely different organisation.”

awyers acting for the former players argue the boys club and Celtic were “intimately connected” and the senior club was “vicariously liable” for assaults carried out. The litigation relates to historical claims of sexual assault by convicted paedophiles Jim Torbett - the founder of the Boys Club - and Frank Cairney, a former coach.

More recently Celtic said it was continuing discussions with the victims’ lawyers.

Are there any editorial comments in any of the rags?

I'm not asking you in particular?

Over 50 Years of Silence
For me also it’s the scale of the abuse within 1 club.
This is not 1 rogue individual but there are a number of predators all within the one club.
It’s mind blowing and surely unprecedented within 1 sporting institution.
Definitely a club like no other.

For me also it’s the scale of the abuse within 1 club.
This is not 1 rogue individual but there are a number of predators all within the one club.
It’s mind blowing and surely unprecedented within 1 sporting institution.
Definitely a club like no other.

It was a paedophile ring at the piggery. They all knew about it, from the Boardroom downwards, and they did nothing to stop it. In fact, they encouraged it by bringing Torbett back into the fold.

Other boys clubs who played against Celtic were also aware of the paedo issue.
I have a friend who played for another team against them and he had a good game.
They sent a scout to watch him after that and were interested in signing him.
They spoke to the guy who ran my pals team about their interest.
The guy came to his house at night and had a conversation with my pal and parents and warned him not to go there due to their obnoxious practices.
He didn’t.

Again, I've said this elsewhere. My granda was pals with Andy Cameron when he started making a name for himself in the mid 70s.

For the best part of 1977 (That is the latter part of 76/77 and the early part of 77/78) I'd go down to my granny and granda's and AC would come and collect us on the Saturday to go to the game in his BMW.

Now AC was friends with Jock Wallace and would go over to Ibrox on a Friday to have a wee chat. As did John McKenzie of The Express.

Now there was one time, and I'm going with 77/78 we're in the car and AC was talking to my granda (he was the co pilot) about how Jock Wallace had no time for Stein. Wallace had told him the previous day, that there were things going on at that club, you just wouldn't believe.

I was 16 at the time, so didn't really get the connations.

So everybody knew, including the press.

It was a paedophile ring at the piggery. They all knew about it, from the Boardroom downwards, and they did nothing to stop it. In fact, they encouraged it by bringing Torbett back into the fold.
That's the bit that gets me, they took him back in after knowing what went on. On top of that when he was jailed in the late 90's they paid him, via his company 1 or 2 million quid. This must have been sanctioned by their CFO at the time. Lawwell. Some may view that as hush money.

Makes you wonder if,the manipulation too win all monies available are playing a part here.

That's the bit that gets me, they took him back in after knowing what went on. On top of that when he was jailed in the late 90's they paid him, via his company 1 or 2 million quid. This must have been sanctioned by their CFO at the time. Lawwell. Some may view that as hush money.

Normal people would be ashamed to even know a paedophile. Stein and McNeil's relationship with Torbett is very suspect.

This is what makes them complicit toward the future abuse after Torbett was allowed to return to then re-abuse. It’s good that there seems to be some financial recompense for the victims, however there will be plenty of mental gymnastics applied which will enable CFC to not have to accept the accountability for the abuse. Instead it’ll be spun as Celtic the great caring and moral club.

I know this is another topic entirely, however look at Michael Jackson paying out $23 million to the young boy he “allegedly” abused. Now why would anyone pay that amount of money if they’re not guilty, yet some (like myself) see him as a peadophile, while others cannot see past the music! The same does not apply to Gadd. These are the muddy waters Celtic will seek to paddle in.

The victims are the priority in all of this, they need and must get the justice they deserve.

I can't help but think the media are going to portray Celtic as heroes for this.

Normal people would be ashamed to even know a paedophile. Stein and McNeil's relationship with Torbett is very suspect.

Stein's son played for the Boys Club, so he probably had more dealings with Torbett also than a standard senior club manager would with their boys club and youth team managers.

So they got a 6 month extension last September to collate evidence, and they have now been given a further 4 months due to the "complexity of the case" to further gather evidence, what's the betting they get a further extension after that?

So they got a 6 month extension last September to collate evidence, and they have now been given a further 4 months due to the "complexity of the case" to further gather evidence, what's the betting they get a further extension after that?
These extensions are at the behest of both parties. Fully agreed by those representing the victims.

As others have said. the victims are overwhelmingly the priority here. Whatever they decide we will all support on follow follow.
My caveat would be this. The satisfaction of a murder victim's family that justice is done, includes the punishment for the killer. They should be punished in a footballing sense by our cowardly authorities. I am not confident that will happen. I also hope I am wrong.

As others have said. the victims are overwhelmingly the priority here. Whatever they decide we will all support on follow follow.
My caveat would be this. The satisfaction of a murder victim's family that justice is done, includes the punishment for the killer. They should be punished in a footballing sense by our cowardly authorities. I am not confident that will happen. I also hope I am wrong.

Covering up a paedophile scandal goes way beyond bringing the game into disrepute. They should be thrown out of Scottish football.

Where are the politicians / senior figures who should be calling this out? It's scandalous that this rancid institution isn't on the front pages of national newspapers.
They are going to come out of this as the good guys. They will play it as those who are offering assistance in a situation that was not their fault.

Last edited:
Again, I've said this elsewhere. My granda was pals with Andy Cameron when he started making a name for himself in the mid 70s.

For the best part of 1977 (That is the latter part of 76/77 and the early part of 77/78) I'd go down to my granny and granda's and AC would come and collect us on the Saturday to go to the game in his BMW.

Now AC was friends with Jock Wallace and would go over to Ibrox on a Friday to have a wee chat. As did John McKenzie of The Express.

Now there was one time, and I'm going with 77/78 we're in the car and AC was talking to my granda (he was the co pilot) about how Jock Wallace had no time for Stein. Wallace had told him the previous day, that there were things going on at that club, you just wouldn't believe.

I was 16 at the time, so didn't really get the connations.

So everybody knew, including the press.
Granda knew……

Where are the politicians / senior figures who should be calling this out? It's scandalous that this rancid institution isn't on the front pages of national newspapers.
They are going to come out of this as the good guys who are offering assistance in a situation that was not their fault.

How was it not Celtc's fault, mate. ? They literally covered up a paedo scandal, then invited back into the fold a convicted paedo. ? They are a disgrace. They will be forever known as a paedo club.

Back