Cortes and Sima for next season?

Fergie90

These two on the wings next season would be excellent. Our form has dipped and we are noticeably worse with Silva instead of Cortes who was looking a really exciting signing.

Cortes on loan for another year and Sima at £5m - £7m range and that would be a great start.

Offload Dessers and Lammers and release Roofe to bring in a striker of proper quality that can finish chances and win us tight games.

Forward line next season: Sima, Danilo, Cortes, New striker.

Midfield Diomande, Sterling and New CM.

Somehow fund 2 New CB's and we will look alot better.

I would be surprised if we could keep Sima, I am sure there are teams who can see is a good player that can pay more than we can. Brighton have a fantastic player trading model so I am sure they will suitors.

Also, for 5m I think we can't afford him.

Financially we really can’t afford to spend near 5 million on Sima when we have other areas that are far more important.

Plus if you want to play with wingers then Sima isn’t it.
Sima has been excellent out wide this season don't you think? Could hit 20 goals and has been injured for a while.

Goal scoring wide men is what we need and Sima does that and Cortes looked a threat and scored a good goal against Hearts.

Can we afford Sima and has Cortes done enough in his handful of appearances to justify a fee?

Squad needs an overhaul just like every summer it seems, so a lot will depend on how much money we have to play with.

Can we afford Sima and has Cortes done enough in his handful of appearances to justify a fee?

Squad needs an overhaul just like every summer it seems, so a lot will depend on how much money we have to play with.
Definitely wouldn't be buying Cortes yet anyway but a loan would be a great option next season imo.

Money is an issue for Sima but I think we can manage it if we really want him.

I would be surprised if we could keep Sima, I am sure there are teams who can see is a good player that can pay more than we can. Brighton have a fantastic player trading model so I am sure they will suitors.

Also, for 5m I think we can't afford him.
Was reluctant to say it but Dessers and Lammers would probably get us £4m or maybe a bit more and that could go towards Sima.

We would double our money on him easily within 2 years imo.

Was reluctant to say it but Dessers and Lammers would probably get us £4m or maybe a bit more and that could go towards Sima.

Perhaps yeah, if we could get rid of those and use it to get him that'd be a good move.

But that still leaves loads of investment needed and I am not sure we'll have the money for it.

He looked very promising prior to the injury but would agree that we've not seen enough overall to be splashing out just yet (although the coaches & scouts will have seen more tbf so may think it worthwhile).

Sima will have caught the eye of a few teams & his fee would probably be a good chunk of our summer budget.

I know he hasn't been playing there but i think Sima has all the attributes to be a great no.9 for us, i'd love us to get him on a permanent but not sure we could afford him.

If we don’t win the title and with it the guaranteed CL windfall, I think Sima could be out of our reach.

We haven’t seen anything like enough of Cortes to make signing him for what’s likely to be several million a sensible move, IMO.

We have to trust that this Koppen chap knows his onions.

Signing players with known injury problems has cost us huge sums of money in recent times.

For that reason I hope we don't spend money on Cortes, it is too much of a risk.

I think we should look to get Cortes on another loan.

Sima - would love to have him in next season but I think thats well beyond us.

We absolutely need to fix the right side of our attack along with a new striker.

Add a new defence to that as well!!

Tough tough summer for the recruitment team

It will all depend on who we can get out for a fee. I would suspect we will be actively looking to sell Davies, Lammers, Dessers, Hagi, Raskin and Dowell in the summer so that could bring in a good few million. Also we may need to accept that Butland could be sold to fund a rebuild, likewise Ridvan.

We'll need to be incredibly creative with what funds we have if we don't win the league, as is looking likely of late.

Fwiw imo there's some important things to consider :

1. Sima despite only having a year left on his contract at Brighton will still likely cost the guts of seven million quid

2. We should ask for an extension of Cortes' loan given his injury, with option to buy if successful.

3. Koppen needs to raise cash.

Butland, Davies, Lammers, Dessers, Hagi, Raskin, Lawrence, Dowell, Wright, Cantwell, Matondo?
I don't think we'd get decent bids for Tav or Goldson despite some fans' frustrations.

some very difficult decisions ahead.

Financially we really can’t afford to spend near 5 million on Sima when we have other areas that are far more important.

Don't get the clamour for a guy who can't control the ball and although he has pace he rarely uses it.
How many times did he get dispossessed yesterday?

Those positions are the first priority as otherwise we’re left with Wright, McCausland and Matondo.

If we can get a loan extension for Cortes do it immediately, don’t know if we should buy permanently without knowing how he’ll recover.

Do everything we can to keep Sima, but I sadly fear we will be priced out of that one unless we win the league and have guaranteed CL income.

Don't get the clamour for a guy who can't control the ball and although he has pace he rarely uses it.
Exactly. He has the potential but it’s a huge gamble on a player that isn’t consistent on a regular basis

2 new CBs need to be top of the list.

Then decide where Sterling plays. If its DM we need a new RB, and vice-versa.

Might not be glamorous but those need to be the priority positions. We can't be scoring 3 goals against Celtic and still not beating them.

After that plus Diomande we might have no budget left, unless we sell Butland and Yilmaz (in which case we also need a goalie and a starting left back).

Hopefully we could do another loan for Cortes given he got injured. Then it obviously depends how much Brighton want for Sima.

I think Cortes showed enough to suggest he would be a massive upgrade on what we have currently. Either permanently or on loan with an option.

I think Sima will be a stretch even though he only has a year left on his contract.

There are massive changes needed. I’m starting to question the commitment of £4m on Diomande after being impressed with him at first but happy to be proven wrong.

Issues are that we have huge wages committed to players we’re trying to offload, such as Matondo, Dowell etc, which makes shifting them difficult.

Nils Koppen is going to be a very busy man. It would be great to think that we could play Champions League and that some of that income could be earmarked for recruitment but automatic qualification looks a push after yesterday.

These two on the wings next season would be excellent. Our form has dipped and we are noticeably worse with Silva instead of Cortes who was looking a really exciting signing.

Cortes on loan for another year and Sima at £5m - £7m range and that would be a great start.

Offload Dessers and Lammers and release Roofe to bring in a striker of proper quality that can finish chances and win us tight games.

Selling Davies, Goldson and Tavernier could fund a solid CB

In all probability we're going to miss out on CL money, therefore I can't see either being here next season. That's money we just don't have.

If we don’t win the title and with it the guaranteed CL windfall, I think Sima could be out of our reach.

We haven’t seen anything like enough of Cortes to make signing him for what’s likely to be several million a sensible move, IMO.

We have to trust that this Koppen chap knows his onions.

The CL money won't impact our spending that much.

The CL money won't impact our spending that much.
We’ll certainly budget for not qualifying and you’d imagine it’ll be around similar levels to those we’ve seen over the past few years, i.e. £12-15m.

Given Sima is probably going to eat up about half of that though (at least), I’d say it’s unlikely we’ll be signing him unless we can bank on the additional CL revenue.

I get what your saying and your probably not far from being bang on ,it would take a bit of expenditure to pull it off as we'd have to get a few off the wage bill,of course winning the league and getting our hands on the champions league cash would be a massive help.

Crazy.

We've wasted millions in the last few years on players that give us nothing.

Sima gives us goals from the wide areas. Something we haven't had since probably Naismith.

We need players that can play out wide.

If we can get it done for £5-6m, it's money well spent.

Salary elsewhere might be an issue, Dessers is on 27k a week and Lammers 18k a week. I don't think Utrecht would pay Lammers that. And you would have to be proper mental to pay Dessers what we do. Or Michael Beale!!

Assuming both deals would be possible, it would be a yes for both from me. Two goalscorer on either side of the striker is something we have badly lacked in recent years.

The clamour for the guy is probably based on his ability to get 15-20 goals a season from wide positions. He is only 22 with plenty of time to develop and progress and he has proved he can score goals.

I agree he is far from the finished article and there would be a lot of improvement needed especially crossing the ball from wide areas but a player I would take a gamble on with the potential to sell for £10-15m in the future. Obviously this would all depend on Brighton and the amount they requited to sell him permanently though.

Big disappointment to lose Cortes to injury so soon because he was looking like the quick, direct, dynamic winger that we've been crying out for. An edge of the seat type player. Another years loan would be brilliant for him.

We’ll certainly budget for not qualifying and you’d imagine it’ll be around similar levels to those we’ve seen over the past few years, i.e. £12-15m.

Given Sima is probably going to eat up about half of that though (at least), I’d say it’s unlikely we’ll be signing him unless we can bank on the additional CL revenue.

Remember though, we may have spent £12-£15m but we also brought in about £10m+.

It will all come down to what we can bring in via sales

I know he hasn't been playing there but i think Sima has all the attributes to be a great no.9 for us, i'd love us to get him on a permanent but not sure we could afford him.
I think playing through the middle would be his best position he clearly has an eye for goal.Playing him out wide he has pace but not the trickery of a genuine winger imo.

Cortez yes, but if available. I’m not too sure I want Sima.

Obviously only seen 6/7 game cameo from Cortes but looked exciting and had plenty to offer on both wings. I’d look at extending his loan situation to the January window using the option to buy again.
Sima is under contract at Brighton and with them been shrewd when it comes to transfers I can see them either selling to the highest bidder or Sima signing a contract extension and loaning Sima out again next season. I can see us being in the market for a £8m+ forward for a few years.

I would take them both if we somehow managed to offload the deadwood and bottle merchants and somehow recoup some money for them.

I hope the people Bisgrove put in place for recruitment are miracle workers because they have a huge task this summer. We have kicked the can down the road since 55 on the rebuild and it's just compounded the issue.

10-15 players need to leave and we will need ~10 in the door to replace them (half out squad aren't contributing anyway so don't need the same numbers in)

We might get a few quality bosmans and a few good loans but we will need to pay fees for 5-6 real quality outfield players at a minimum. Sima and Cortes are in that bracket imo but you are looking at £10m minimum for them. Add Diomande fee we are £15m in already. We need to spend an eye watering amount this summer, the squad needs eye watering amount spent on it this summer. I fear we just don't have the resources and we will maintain the same core group of players instead and somehow expect different results from.them.

Find it interesting that Cortes is still with us when it is more than likely he wont play again this season. Makes me think he'll be returning next season - might be wishful thinking.

When considering how much we can spend we also need to factor in €4.5m for Diomande.

Key to this will be Koppen. How much can he get for the likes of Dessers, Lammers, Cantwell etc..?

Be good if Gerrard can make a big bid for the likes of Tav. Unlikely, though.

Or we sell our most consistent and best asset in Butland which would be a better pill we might have to swallow

Cortes I hope we can agree an additional 12 month loan with OTB again given we haven’t properly seen him due to the injury

Sima I think will be out of our price range

Find it interesting that Cortes is still with us when it is more than likely he wont play again this season. Makes me think he'll be returning next season - might be wishful thinking.

When considering how much we can spend we also need to factor in €4.5m for Diomande.

Key to this will be Koppen. How much can he get for the likes of Dessers, Lammers, Cantwell etc..?

Be good if Gerrard can make a big bid for the likes of Tav. Unlikely, though.
Very good point if he is out for the season and not returning then you think he would just go back to France to recover and we still pay his wage.

Or we sell our most consistent and best asset in Butland which would be a better pill we might have to swallow
It’s one of those. Butland has been a massive part of why we’re even in a title race. How easy would it be to replace him?

At the same time, we need to make our transfer model work for us.

£15m for Butland would be hard to turn down given where we’re likely going to be.

Back