Talking to people who know nothing about football

EKBB

Official Ticketer
Is it just me that gets annoyed when people who know nothing about football and have no interest in it try and talk about it? Always worse when the world cup or Euro championships are on.

Father in law, who doesn't bother with it normally, hits out with 'the world cup has been rubbish so far' earlier. Now am thinking how the feck would you know but try and be polite and tell him it doesn't usually get good til the knock out stages. To which he replies aye but a lot of the big teams are already out, Germany has been knocked out I seen :D

Wish they just wouldn't bother.

I live in Aus now, worse I’ve had is a guy say that the score was 1-luv, also called Spurs “The Tottenham Hotspurs” nice guy , but fark me I couldn’t take him seriously after that.

The women in my work are bad for it - because they are in the sweep they are taking an interest.

Even more annoyed that they all seem to have got the good teams - well, on paper anyway.....

Biggest dobber I remember was a guy in my work who claimed to be an Arsenal fan but could barely name any of their players asking one night in the pub after they’d won the Double in ‘98, “Right, so that means we play Champions League matches on Wednesday nights and Cup Winners Cup games on the Thursdays?”

I didn’t correct him.

“Aye, that’s right.”

An American over here could be the best coach I’ve worked with but I still can’t take what he says seriously.

Applies to all sports really - my daughter in law watching the Blue Jays on seeing what we knew was a HR asked if the batter is out if someone in the crowd catches the ball !

Biggest dobber I remember was a guy in my work who claimed to be an Arsenal fan but could barely name any of their players asking one night in the pub after they’d won the Double in ‘98, “Right, so that means we play Champions League matches on Wednesday nights and Cup Winners Cup games on the Thursdays?”

I didn’t correct him.

“Aye, that’s right.”

Funnily enough it was also an "Arsenal fan" who once told me that Thierry Henry was a great player but not really a goalscorer. I said "isn't he your all-time record goalscorer?" and he replied "no don't be daft that's Wrighty. Bergkamp scored more than Henry" o_O

I just stared at him for a bit and started talking about something else.

Been in America the past 2 weeks, you get used to it!

I got talking to a guy from New Jersey at the pool one day and he was saying he preferred "ladies soccer" as it was "so much more graceful" than men.

My politically incorrect jaw dropped.

I'm running World Cup competitions for work and I've made an effort to include people who don't like football.

I've done sweeps and predictions on goals scored/red cards etc. going as far as to print out bookies odds and past tournament stats to help people take a guess.

Even that's too difficult for some.

Been in America the past 2 weeks, you get used to it!

I got talking to a guy from New Jersey at the pool one day and he was saying he preferred "ladies soccer" as it was "so much more graceful" than men.

My politically incorrect jaw dropped.

I had a fella pull me and ask "Excuse, what team is Blackthorn, I like the EPL but I'm interested in other teams".

It was the sponsor on my Rangers shirt. lol.

Guy across from me in our cul-de-sac that lives in Florida for most of the year asks me earlier if I’m enjoying the ‘World Championships.’

I had to think for a minute.

Never try and explain the away goals rule to someone who is pretty clueless about football as you might just end up in Leverndale after being asked things like - "so if they win 3-0 that means they have won 6-0?" Aarrgh!!

Topical, Tunisia just scored a second to pull it back to 5-2 in the last minute of injury time and two Tunisian birds jumping about like they just won the trophy ffs.

Was sitting in a beer garden on the last day of the Championship season this year listening to this absolute bint talking to her man (who didn’t seem to care) about football. Had to have been a tim.

“Aww who is it that’s the new Rangers manager? Because they’ve got rid of that Warburton fella huvn’t they? And they’ve got no money apparently.”

Also spouted uneducated shite about Man Utd being a great team to watch and absolute rubbish. The two left before I hit my head off the wall. So annoying haha.

I was in a customers house this morning , elderly couple from Liverpool never knew Gerrard was our gaffer ? I was like where the hell have you been on the f***ing moon .!

Applies to all sports really - my daughter in law watching the Blue Jays on seeing what we knew was a HR asked if the batter is out if someone in the crowd catches the ball !
That reminded me of my Australian mate who went to a Blue Jays game while on honeymoon with his missus, he was sconned by a big hit ball, said he came to his senses after a few sniffs of the dreaded smelling salts, he was taken back to his seat with his wife and presented a signed ball, changed days now it would concussion and lawyers.

To be honest I've posed this question my time myself and thought I was the first

Was a lass in the pub yesterday who asked loudly why teams just don't put the wall on the goal line when defending a free kick. Was talking about it as if she'd discovered some absolute bombshell that would change football

TBH I know nothing about football. I just care passionately about Rangers. I’m clueless about tactics and formation etc.

Me too, that's why I was a lurker on the old board and why I generally post in the lounge now that I'm allowed in on this new board.

I know who I love and I know who I hate and why I hate them

Had a resident's committee meeting this week and the pre-formality discussion naturally turned to the world cup.

One neighbour to another: "so have you been watching any of the games so far?"
Reply: "Well, not really interested in football as such. Anyway, it would be difficult for us as we don't have a TV"

Nowt wrong with that I suppose and he does have other interests and isn't remotely interested in the goggle box it would seem but I guess chaps like that are a rare breed.

Is it just me that gets annoyed when people who know nothing about football and have no interest in it try and talk about it? Always worse when the world cup or Euro championships are on.

Father in law, who doesn't bother with it normally, hits out with 'the world cup has been rubbish so far' earlier. Now am thinking how the feck would you know but try and be polite and tell him it doesn't usually get good til the knock out stages. To which he replies aye but a lot of the big teams are already out, Germany has been knocked out I seen :D

Nothing worse mate.

I try to keep such people out of my life.

This is worse, I know a lad who claims to be a staunch bluenose at work and whenever I ask him his opinion on "yesterday's game" or "the lad we have just signed"; he's always wishy washy with his chat and after a few months his genuine response one day was...

"I haven't really bothered about the team for a couple of years now"?!

How? I don't get it, I'm sure he's suffered some kind of brain injury!

I live in the sticks where rugby is the most popular sport,although to be fair there are a lot of decent folk who readily admit they don’t understand the game-same with me with egg chasing I usually say,not too many unwashed fans amongst the popular though-I’ve been here over ten years and only know of three within a seven mile radius

Back