Pena ready to resume his Rangers career

As others have said he needs a full on training and monitoring regime on his return.

Even if he doesn't get the chance for us again it can only help move him on.

You’ve not been following us for long have you? If you have, there’s something very very wrong with your assessment of player ability.

It’s hard to assess player ability when he’s contributed the square root of f-all.

Our worst ever signing is probably hyperbolic but the money wasted on someone who had well documented problems before he arrived is very frustrating.

It seems enormously unlikely we'll ever see him on the park for us again, but you never know. There is no doubting he is a very good footballer. It's whether or not he can ditch his drinking, partying, bad attitude, laziness, selfishness and bad influences.

As much as I'd love him to and think were he properly at it he would thrive playing in this team just behind Morelos, I highly doubt he has it in him.

While he's got a contract we can't just give up on him, if there's anyone who can help a midfielder turn it all round it's Gerrard.

I've seen no evidence of that.

Unless he has the ability of George Best or Gazza in order to play through his demons...he can GTF!

I've seen no evidence of that.

Unless he has the ability of George Best or Gazza in order to play through his demons...he can GTF!

Well you never watched him against Aberdeen at Ibrox, at Pittodrie, at McDiarmid Park then. To say he never showed any glimpses of being a good footballer is nonsense and just part of the mass hysteria that occurs on here every day

I like to see Gerrard try and work his magic on him, similar to what he has done with Morelos and Halliday.

Who knows, most folk had Morelos written of before Gerrard got hold of him.

Morelos always had the right attitude and application though. As many know (and wrongly interpret and inaccurately reference with regularity) I was up for giving Peña a run in the side because he clearly had a knack for goals and at that time Holt, Halliday and co were brutal. However, the guy clearly doesn’t have the drive for this anymore and not even settling or applying himself back in his own land in his familiar culture sets alarm bells ringing, for that reason alone I think the chances of Gerrard reforming him are slimmer than Bobby Sands post diet.

Well you never watched him against Aberdeen at Ibrox, at Pittodrie, at McDiarmid Park then. To say he never showed any glimpses of being a good footballer is nonsense and just part of the mass hysteria that occurs on here every day

He absolutely did show glimpses of what he’s capable of, and given his previous value and status as an internationalist be blatantly has the ability, or had it and just isn’t interested in using it now. But that’s the sort of airhead nonsense that used to be the source of a lot of Peña debates on here, the idea that he showed nothing is bollocks.

Most of this, imo, is just what has to be said to stay on the right side of contracts.

We'll not be making any wild statements. His loan has ended and he's our player. We're not going to talk about just binning him.

He's got a responsibility to make it look like he's trying and not in a position where we can rip up his deal.

I'd be very surprised to see him play for us again and I say that as someone who was far more keen on him than a number people on this forum.

You are delusional if you think he will bring anything to this team. He is being sent back because he isn't good enough for Necaxa (not Barcelona or Bayern or...) not because SG is recalling him as you've seen a glimmer of ability! I seen all his performances in a Rangers shirt and never once did i think he was any good (although not the worst in the team at the time) not because he had personal issues. I hope he gets over his personal issues, but that will never change the fact that he is not good enough. If you disagree, fair enough. But please don't just live in pure hope of a superstar being in there somewhere; there's not!

I'm wondering if its been ourselves that has asked for Pena to be back 2 months early to assess what he is all about. We need a No. 10 that we all know, he is a player for this position and if he does not show up well in training before the window opens we go with bringing a new No. 10 instead.

My favourite “last chance” Peña was given was his second loan spell where Cruz Azul loaned him out after taking him on loan. This next “last chance” could be a good one too though.

it's mental that some folk genuienly want this waster back

an absolute joke player and joke signing. A complete and utter laughing stock

Aye but he played well against St Johnstone.. FS
His career with us was finished before he left on loan and I hope in hope the waster is gone after xmas

And some in this site thought we would just wave goodbye to a 2.5M investment saying good riddance and he would walk away from another one and a half years wages @ 25K per week.

We need to give it one last try with him, I know there is next to no chance of reviving him but he is our players and its worth one last crack of the whip from Gerrard to see if he can change his attitude and get him firing again.

We have nothing to lose in trying.

If it doesn’t work out then it will be a payoff for sure.

Agreed, he showed flashes of real quality,just not enough of them :(

feck it, who knows.

As for the 'deserves better' comment from PC, I hope thats a translation issue.

Problem is, he’s had a few second chances.
Hes now out of rehab, I think thats a slate clean moment. He can either grab the opportunity by the balls, like Halliday did (albeit for different reasons) or fail.

You are delusional if you think he will bring anything to this team. He is being sent back because he isn't good enough for Necaxa (not Barcelona or Bayern or...) not because SG is recalling him as you've seen a glimmer of ability! I seen all his performances in a Rangers shirt and never once did i think he was any good (although not the worst in the team at the time) not because he had personal issues. I hope he gets over his personal issues, but that will never change the fact that he is not good enough. If you disagree, fair enough. But please don't just live in pure hope of a superstar being in there somewhere; there's not!

Yet again just absolute hysteria from someone on here putting words in someone else's mouth. If you're gonna try and debate me at least actually read my posts

I like to see Gerrard try and work his magic on him, similar to what he has done with Morelos and Halliday.

Who knows, most folk had Morelos written of before Gerrard got hold of him.
Morelos has never been an alkie or had any issues with his work ethic. There’s a massive difference in attitude between these two. The fact Necaxa and Cruz Azul have both ditched him early is proof that he’s still a shambles.

Personally I think he is finished with us but maybe the gaffer will want a good look at him in training and make his own decision about him.
It may be possible that he knows this will be his last chance to play at this level and possibly he will knuckle down and clean up his alleged off the field antics and start to earn the rumoured wages that he is on.

He showed even in a poor team with a poor manager and not 100% fit he could score and assist in this league

Plus gerrard wants a natural no 10. Pena is a natural no 10. It may all come together

If he has been offered help and IF he is still drinking then the club should find a way to sack him.

IF he really is an alkie then he needs to hit his own rock bottom, which might be tricky on £26k per week.

His career doesn't seem important to him and mollycoddling him helps no one.

I say this as someone who entered rehab a few days after my 21st birthday yet despite prolonged periods of sobriety (3 years at one point) I didn't have my last drink until 6 years later. That was in September 2000.

It's one thing to have compassion for someone but lets not make excuses for his behaviour.

It would be some feat if Steven G managed to help Carlos, I'd be very surprised (though delighted).

Prove me wrong Pena.

You don't regain fitness/sharpness at 28, especially not if you've been abusing your body with alcohol and other substances.

There is, unfortunately, zero chance of Pena featuring for us again.

He will be in for a shock when he returns with the new setup and the zero tolerance policy for lazy ba$tards.

I hope SG can do something with him.

Still pains me to think the player we could have had if he knuckled down and showed why he was a Mexican international. A tiny part of me is still clinging onto hope Gerrard can get inside his head and offer him an olive branch.

Probably more wishful thinking but let's hope something good can come out of his return. It's a new environment and a more settled squad that is not under the same pressure as the one he left behind, maybe that could be a start.

I refuse to give up, on anything :p

Time to take the Rolls Royce back out of the garage?

How long before someone spots him in Pizza Hut, the pub or the off licence still with his boots on

Back