Kent off for Middleton

Theresa May

Unless it was due to an injury to Kent, what an absolute catastrophic substitution. The system in the first half was working. It was fluid, dynamic, was creating space in the final third and was ultimately giving Dundee real problems.

The second half was always going to be a backs to the wall job for Dundee with 10 men behind the ball. Such circumstances require players who can face players up, create a half hard or pick a pass in a crowded final third. Why then do we bring on a one dimensional and, frankly, limited 18 yo winger who can do none of the above?

The whole dynamic changed at half time and we created nothing, absolutely nothing in 45 mins against a team bottom of the league and with 10 men.

Kent was poor but I still thought his style was causing them issues. Poor sub.

I got the feeling the first 2 substitutions were arranged beforehand and not taking into account the actual game and how players were playing.

It was as if Kent was to get 45 minutes and Barisic to get 35 minutes to build their match fitness.

Kent wasn't very good. Middleton wasn't very good but it was a shit sub. Really shit sub.

Gerrard really doesn't know how to utilise subs at all.

Both had off days but today they should be smashing those defences.

Poor by all involved today.

Middleton has looked like he’s been running in quicksand for a while now. He has stopped running at defenders getting to the byline and his confidence is shot.

I got the feeling the first 2 substitutions were arranged beforehand and not taking into account the actual game and how players were playing.

It was as if Kent was to get 45 minutes and Barisic to get 35 minutes to build their match fitness.
Had this thought too.

He was possibly wary of giving Rossiter the full 90 as well.

Thats exactly what it looked like

Middleton is a poor man’s Gregg Wylde. Stevie Wonder can see where he’s going when he gets the ball.

Very similar in style and ability. The provided an unknown quantity when they first came into the team, but teams sussed their one trick pony style out relatively quickly.

Show Middleton inside and he quickly becomes obsolete. Far too one dimensional to be a Rangers winger.

Middleton is a young man that needs taken out the firing line for a few weeks

Agreed. What I find strange is Gerrard was quite critical of the way Murty used Ross McRorie, suggesting he was asked to do too much too soon. Middleton must be the same age as McRorie was.

Middleton looks lost when faced with a decent full back. He's all about pace and needs the space to drive into. Something you're not always going to have.

Middleton has his lovers but his purple patch has ended and now looks like a one trick pony with sometimes good delivery from set pieces

Also thought it was strange keeping jack on and subbing Halliday, the ref looked determined to send jack off

Middleton looks lost when faced with a decent full back. He's all about pace and needs the space to drive into. Something you're not always going to have.

There's a role for Middleton throughout the season, but not in tight games when we're up against two banks of four.

Middleton is a player you bring on when confidence is high when your well up and flying but on the past few performances of the lad I’m not convinced he has got it, but our manager certainly rates him

Never thought of that, but it makes sense now. Good observation.

Middleton is very one dimensional but he is still young.
The Dundee fullback today knew exactly how to play him.

Middleton isnt ready for games like that. Just like the game on Wednesday he didnt create much in a crowded 18 yard box.

Kent was injured Gerrard just confirmed it . Says he’s hoping is mostly precaution but he felt pain .

Kent was injured according to Gerrard. Remember Middleton is a kid signed last season for youths. He has probably never played against packed defences before and is on steep learning curve.

Middleton looked absolutely rapid his first couple of games, now looks no faster than any other average joe, get him dropped for afew weeks

Unless it was due to an injury to Kent, what an absolute catastrophic substitution. The system in the first half was working. It was fluid, dynamic, was creating space in the final third and was ultimately giving Dundee real problems.

The second half was always going to be a backs to the wall job for Dundee with 10 men behind the ball. Such circumstances require players who can face players up, create a half hard or pick a pass in a crowded final third. Why then do we bring on a one dimensional and, frankly, limited 18 yo winger who can do none of the above?

The whole dynamic changed at half time and we created nothing, absolutely nothing in 45 mins against a team bottom of the league and with 10 men.
So you go on a big rant about the sub when not knowing the details?

Kent was injured

Injury forced the change.

Middleton is too one dimensional. Needs to add unpredictability to his game. He is only a young kid so difficult to be too harsh but I think he should be used more sparingly than he has been.

Back