O'Higgins FC of Chile

drgriffen

Named after one of the Liberators, Bernardo O'Higgins, they are a football club based in Rancagua. One of their main rivalries is with Rangers de Talca.

The following murals were created to celebrate their only title victory in 2013. Pablo Hernandez scored the 34th minute winner in the Super Final against Universidad Católica.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Higgins_F.C.#History

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Súper_Final_Apertura

DxiiRfdXcAArVq7.jpg

DxiiSOYWwAA2DIH.jpg

I live in Rancagua. Bernardo was a drunken womanising, woman beating shite bag.

He also hid in a church out the way when it was going off.

Sad story about the fans who died in a bus crash a few years ago though.
I pass that stadium everyday. Its opened for people who want to run round the track.

I pass that stadium everyday. Its opened for people who want to run round the track.
But couldn't be a Catholic as he was in the lodge and as that referee video taught us Catholics can't join the Masons

You live in chile ?

Whilst we're on about all things Chile, then we must mention Thomas Cochrane the Scottish founder of the Chilean Navy and who is honoured as such to this day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cochrane,_10th_Earl_of_Dundonald#Burial_and_memorial
Yes mate. Youre 100% right. Theres a big statue of him in Valparaso at his tomb that over looks the ocean. Its visited by millions of tourists every year.
My wifes cousin is the Navys highest ranked submarine officer in Chile.

Yes, I do. I came in 2002 without a real plan, just wanted to travel around but ended up staying.
Fantastic. It's obviously a decent way of life. What line of work have you ended up. If that's not being too personal.

I’ve visited ChileBear a few times now, he’s a top lad (but don’t tell him that!) He’s even a founding member of the SF RSC, he spreads the good name of Rangers FC everywhere he goes!
And on my travels in Chile and other countries in South America i’ve often tried to take in games or visit stadiums.
I went to Talca to visit Rangers de Talca’s stadium but as luck would have it, it was being redeveloped and there was virually nothing to see. No club shop, no main gates, no training groubd, nada! I’m a technophobe and have no idea how to post pics on here.
The only shop that sold official kit was in a shopping arcade/mini mall and as it was a Sunday when i was there; it was closed
If you ever visit Talca (or pretty much anywhere in Chile, except Southern Patagonia) in January or February, take a wide brimmed hat because it is absolutely boiling hot there in the summer!
ChileBear kindly got me a Rangers de Talca top for me though. Told you, he’s a good lad!

As for Lord Thomas Cochrane, if you go to Validivia, Corral, Niebla and Isla Mancera they have lots of memorials to him. The Maritime/Naval Museum in Valparaiso has a room dedicated to him and his exploits!
Valdivian’s are very proud of him!

I’ve visited ChileBear a few times now, he’s a top lad (but don’t tell him that!) He’s even a founding member of the SF RSC, he spreads the good name of Rangers FC everywhere he goes!
And on my travels in Chile and other countries in South America i’ve often tried to take in games or visit stadiums.
I went to Talca to visit Rangers de Talca’s stadium but as luck would have it, it was being redeveloped and there was virually nothing to see. No club shop, no main gates, no training groubd, nada! I’m a technophobe and have no idea how to post pics on here.
The only shop that sold official kit was in a shopping arcade/mini mall and as it was a Sunday when i was there; it was closed
If you ever visit Talca (or pretty much anywhere in Chile, except Southern Patagonia) in January or February, take a wide brimmed hat because it is absolutely boiling hot there in the summer!
ChileBear kindly got me a Rangers de Talca top for me though. Told you, he’s a good lad!

Spreading the word, Same as yourself.

That night sitting on a boat in the South, seeing the Icebergs, waiting for a phone signal to get the Porto score. And when it came through,well, a few beers went down LOL.

Spreading the word, Same as yourself.

That night sitting on a boat in the South, seeing the Icebergs, waiting for a phone signal to get the Porto score. And when it came through,well, a few beers went down LOL.

How does a young guy just go travelling , and end up deciding “ ah Fck it this will do me “ and staying somewhere like chile the rest of their lives ? Fascinating stuff mate .

Did you speak Chilean ? Relatives there ? Or just randomly decide ?

Reactions: WBD
How does a young guy just go travelling , and end up deciding “ ah Fck it this will do me “ and staying somewhere like chile the rest of their lives ? Fascinating stuff mate .

Did you speak Chilean ? Relatives there ? Or just randomly decide ?
Before I arrived here I spent 10 years in Liverpool, 3 years in Sanfransisco, 1.5 years in Australia, and 1.5 years in Spain.
No family here until i got married and our son was born. Ive a very active life here, I ski in the winter and surf in the summer. The weather is superb. Its 38 here today.
No bad for a wee boy who went to the wee school facing the main stand.

Before I arrived here I spent 10 years in Liverpool, 3 years in Sanfransisco, 1.5 years in Australia, and 1.5 years in Spain.
No family here until i got married and our son was born. Ive a very active life here, I ski in the winter and surf in the summer. The weather is superb. Its 38 here today.

It’s quite a life . What are the houses like in Chile? Do they have decent roads , banks etc ? How do the locals view you , there can’t be many Scotsmen randomly living in chile amongst Chileans !

As for Lord Thomas Cochrane, if you go to Validivia, Corral, Niebla and Isla Mancera they have lots of memorials to him. The Maritime/Naval Museum in Valparaiso has a room dedicated to him and his exploits!
Valdivian’s are very proud of him!

I opened this thread to mention Cochrane. What a life he had. Boys own stuff. Money grubbing and corrupt to go with it. I like my heroes with a bit of a dark side.

I only go on holiday to Chile and South America, I’ve been 4 times fer up to a month at a time. This is my outsiders view!
My Spanish is upside down, inside out and back to front; just ask ChileBear! However, if you can speak maybe more than just a few words you’ll be able to get by. Hand signals and facial expressions rule!!
I’d highly reccommend visiting Chile! Good food, beer, excellent wine, friendly locals, incredible scenery, boiling hot in the summer (January/February), plenty to see and do, fitba’ almost all year round; Chilean fsns are a wee bitty mental at times.
I’ve never felt unsafe in Chile, except fer when a Carabiñero was demanding i handed over my Rangers top!
Chileans are definitely interesting, they like a good party, the women are stunning, loads of beaches, mountains and along with Argentina it is probsbly the most modern of the countries in South America but they still have their little quirks! Plenty of adventure to be had!
They’re are stories to be told but thst is for another time!!

Random fact: There's a statue of O'Higgins near where I live, in Richmond-on-Thames. Think he lived and studied in SW London for a while.

When were you at Ibrox Primary?
I was there around 63/66 so probably long before long time?

When were you at Ibrox Primary?
I was there around 63/66 so probably long before long time?
I was there around 74-82 I think.
Fans talk about their first trip to see the Rangers.
For me Rangers was growing up seeing our stadium everyday, and watching it change through the years.
Standing in Ibrox Primary school, looking through the fence on the wall at players coming in and out of Ibrox everyday was amazing.
Getting lifts over the turnstyle for every game. Having a kick about with some of the players in the Edmiston house car park with some players when they were heading out of Ibrox.
Great times for a local lad.

Whilst we're on about all things Chile, then we must mention Thomas Cochrane the Scottish founder of the Chilean Navy and who is honoured as such to this day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cochrane,_10th_Earl_of_Dundonald#Burial_and_memorial
This was the man that the hero of Captain and Commander was reputed to be based upon.
Cochrane was the real deal as the commander of a ship and reputed to have won all of his sea battles during the Napoleonic wars.
Yes, the famous sea captain was another Jock.

Back