Why does it take days like today to realise what's there for all to see?

Theresa May

Yes, we're all frustrated and down after today's poor result, but what I don't get is why it takes such a performace for us to realise what is there for all to see. The odd decent performace against the likes of Celtic or Aberdeen does nothing but paper over the real cracks.

1) Daniel Candeias is not of the required standard, especially in our current system. A real hard worker but, especially at Ibrox, he offers nothing more than a pair of legs and a few scuffed crosses. In any team, in any league, as a wide man in a front 3, your primary offer to the team has to be in an attacking sense. Candeias is in the team to support Tav defensively, that's not on at a team like Rangers.

2) Any 3 man combination of our current midfielders is not going to cut it, let's be honest. We have no guile, no one who can break the lines with a run, no one willing take the ball on the half turn and, most importantly, no one willing to have a dig from 18+ yards. We have plenty of tidy and industrious players, but none that any opposition team truly fear. That's not on at a team like Rangers. The lack of goals from midfield is alarming. We need a quality midfield purchase in the summer as a priority.

3) Our whole system is built around one player. And that's a player who, whilst admittedly is being unfairly targeted by refs, is likely to be suspended more than any other player in our team over the course of the season. Having no contingency to Morelos not being in the team is criminal, as today has unfortunately demonstrated.

All in all, I'm frustrated. Maybe more fans than I give credit to are aware of our misgivings, but when I see the barrage of threads after dropped points about Middletons lack of ability, Davis being done, Worrall being a bombscare and Tav not being captain material, it's brutal. If we win convicingly on Wednesday the same threads will be replaced with threads about how Middleton is a star in the making, how Davis when fit will be the best midfielder in the country and how we should be looking for £10m for Tav. All of the above will be soon forgotten, but it's the truth imho.

Last edited:
Yes, we're all frustrated and down after today's poor result, but what I don't get is why it takes such a performace for us to realise what is there for all to see. The odd decent performace against the likes of Celtic or Aberdeen does nothing but paper over the real cracks.

1) Daniel Candeias is not of the required standard, especially in our current system. A real hard worker but, especially at Ibrox, he offers nothing more than a pair of legs and a few scuffed crosses. In any team, in any league, as a wide man in a front 3, your primary offer to the team has to be in an attacking sense. Candeias is in the team to support Tav defensively, that's not on at a team like Rangers.

2) Any 3 man combination of our current midfielders is not going to cut it, let's be honest. We have no guile, no one who can break the lines with a run, no one willing take the ball on the half turn and, most importantly, no one willing to have a dig from 18+ yards. We have plenty of tidy and industrious players, but none that any opposition team truly fear. That's not on at a team like Rangers. The lack of goals from midfield is alarming. We need a quality midfield purchase in the summer as a priority.

3) Our whole system is built around one player. And that's a player who, whilst admittedly is being unfairly targeted by refs, is likely to be suspended more than any other player in our team over the course of the season. Having no contingency to Morelos not being in the team is criminal, as today has unfortunately demonstrated.

All in all, I'm frustrated. Maybe more fans than I give credit to are aware of our misgivings, but when I see the barrage of threads after dropped points about Middletons lack of ability, Davis being done, Worrall being a bombscare and Tav not being captain material, it's brutal. If we win convicingly on Wednesday the same threads will be replaced with threads about how Middleton is a star in the making, how Davis when fit will be the best midfielder in the country and how we should be looking for £10m for Tav. All of the above will be soon forgotten, but it's the truth imho.

Agreed. We are 4 or 5 quality players short of a first 11 which might win something. We probably need the same as quality squad players who can do us a turn. Today was all the evidence you need that we are not good enough.

Go back and read the attempts at this kind of post when we've won a game, and you'll see posters getting torn apart for daring to suggest we could make an improvement in some area. Equally, try posting anything positive if we've just dropped points (today might not be a great example as there really weren't many positives).

Too many on here can't have an adult conversation about the team.

Agree

10 million for tav but would be lovely right now.

Agreed. We are 4 or 5 quality players short of a first 11 which might win something. We probably need the same as quality squad players who can do us a turn. Today was all the evidence you need that we are not good enough.

agree with
but the signings of Laffety Defoe & Davis reek of short termism, Davis and Defoe thrown into the Killie game on the back of a tremendous performance against them, it reeks of a rookie manager not learning!
not only are we not winning the League this year but there will be little to build on for next season!

Reactions: 8-1
Go back and read the attempts at this kind of post when we've won a game, and you'll see posters getting torn apart for daring to suggest we could make an improvement in some area. Equally, try posting anything positive if we've just dropped points (today might not be a great example as there really weren't many positives).

Wholeheartedly agree, sir. We're our own worst enemy in this regard. Yes, we're all desperate for success but the need to cling to any glimmer of positivity and run with it is going to our downfall in the long term.

It's frustrating because we know what this team are capable of. However, I've said from day one that this year was all about finding our feet again. We're a young team with a young manager and I don't think we'll see the best of either until next season.

Inconsistency is a cnut but not totally unexpected.

Certain players need moved on and sold, these players just aren’t consistent enough or offer the team much when we need to win.
Many will quote stats and say I am talking shite, but our lack of consistency over 3 seasons shows this.
Players like Tav, Candieas, Jack are too inconsistent. Our midfield is full of players like Jack who are limited midfielders and aren’t the complete midfielders you need to play a 433.
If playing 433 all 3 up front need to score and create from wide like Forrest, Sinclair and Burke are doing for the scum.
The midfield all need to be able to win possession, have pace, good eye for a pass and support the front 3. Davis used to be able to do this when he was here years back, not now.
Not one of the others can, Kamara has potential but there is not one midfielder in the whole squad with a creative bone in their body or have the ability to control the pace of the game.

The inadequacies of our midfield and wide play is hidden by the hard work and ability of Morelos who covers up for all of their failures.

This needs surgery for next season but the risk is we sell Morelos and Gerrard wastes the transfer money he gets.

A lack of genuine quality tbh.

That’s all it really is.

We need at least two or three players middle to front of a quality above anything we currently have with the possible exception of Morelos if we’re to take this onto the next level.

It was always unrealistic to expect us to be serious contenders in Gerrard’s first season.

The start he’s made has been more than encouraging though.

It's frustrating because we know what this team are capable of. However, I've said from day one that this year was all about finding our feet again. We're a young team with a young manager and I don't think we'll see the best of either until next season.

I totally agree and at the start of the season I said at least a strong second place, take points off the Tim's and a cup win was our realistic target this year. We can still achieve this but to challenge next year. We need a big improvement on the this squad.

Spot on mate

Davis, Tavi. Candias. were all pure rotten
Kent Defoe poor.
Wes & Glen get a pass.
Both our CH"s looked like they just met at 2-55 ffs.

Lucky to get a draw tbh

The season has followed a worryingly similar pattern.

A few encouraging results in Europe....then frustration at dropping daft points away to Aberdeen and Motherwell before losing to the filth....then some encouragement with good wins over St.Johnstone and Hearts...then the LCSF debacle followed by the Killie home draw...then a few more decent results to end November/start December with...then that shocking loss at home to a shit Sheep side...then we beat the filth...then we lose our very next game to Kilmarnock...then a half recent run...then back to being guff again.

That type of form might be acceptable at Hearts or Hibs but not at Rangers and you truthfully don't see much changing. We absolutely MUST find a way to play without Morelos in the side as shelling long to a 36 year old has been midget just won't do.

We need to hope that they drop points tomorrow and then we HAVE to beat Killie and Alfie must get through the tie without a red card as we cannot afford to go to Aberdeen without him as we found out to our cost what happens in that scenario in the LCSF and on many other occasions.

Get the finger out Mr Gerrard

Board has been like this for a good while now.

Actual discussion and debate is often shut down by juvenile quips.

Thank feck somebody has a balanced view.
This season was never going to be anything more than hopeful.
A stepping stone to a more hopeful season next year.

The season has followed a worryingly similar pattern.

A few encouraging results in Europe....then frustration at dropping daft points away to Aberdeen and Motherwell before losing to the filth....then some encouragement with good wins over St.Johnstone and Hearts...then the LCSF debacle followed by the Killie home draw...then a few more decent results to end November/start December with...then that shocking loss at home to a shit Sheep side...then we beat the filth...then we lose our very next game to Kilmarnock...then a half recent run...then back to being guff again.

That type of form might be acceptable at Hearts or Hibs but not at Rangers and you truthfully don't see much changing. We absolutely MUST find a way to play without Morelos in the side as shelling long to a 36 year old has been midget just won't do.

We need to hope that they drop points tomorrow and then we HAVE to beat Killie and Alfie must get through the tie without a red card as we cannot afford to go to Aberdeen without him as we found out to our cost what happens in that scenario in the LCSF and on many other occasions.

Get the finger out Mr Gerrard
Great post, until your last line..

Was saying this during and after the game that we have built our style of play and team around one player and when he’s not there we are clueless , and why give two players out of a midfield three there first starts of the season , one of them fair enough but not both them it’s too big a change

plenty on here thought wee were going to have a chance at the title under murty

just bury their heads in the sand and hope for the best

Not a word of that I would change. Good post.

To my mind, the club and the team are light years ahead of the previous three years.

I don't think anyone can reasonably dispute that we've improved since our first game back against Hamilton, but the reality, and the real question, is are we any closer to winning the title? That part I think could be reasonably disputed.

It's hard to disagree with much in the OP, but the point I would make is that we're trying to build a title winning squad and have a first time manager. Where exactly do you expect us to be 2/3rds through his first season?

We should stop expecting to win and start fighting till we win. Nothing comes easy for Rangers, that's why the players have to take responsibility on the pitch. Man of the match today, probably Broxi Bear. :mad:

Agreed. That team we played against today failed to taken anything from 3 games against Celtic. That’s why we won’t do 55 this year.
Teams genuinely fancy there chances of getting something off us even at Ibrox look at Tommy Wrights comments before today's game. You never hear any manager saying there confident of taking points of them. If a team is organised , keep there shape, work hard then they know we on a lot of occasions dont have the know how or guile to break them down and especially if Morelos is not playing.

Last edited:
It's hard to disagree with much in the OP, but the point I would make is that we're trying to build a title winning squad and have a first time manager. Where exactly do you expect us to be 2/3rds through his first season?

I think hiding behind the whole project idea and Gerrard being a complete rookie are all too convenient excuses. We're now 4 seasons into our return to the top flight and have yet to lay a glove on them, notwithstanding the 29th December game. At what stage do we start to demand a real challenge? Is it next year? The year after?
Let's be honest, I don't think any supporter thinks we're a million miles away from Celtic, but any perceived gap, however big, will never be bridged until we address some of the points I raised in the OP.

Gerrard, the board and the majority of players do deserve a level of credit for their season's performances thus far, but this season is/was a real opportunity to go at them and achieve something (we might still yet, but looking increasingly unlikely) but our persistence with the bang average personnel or unwillingness to admit our deficiencies will only see us as the perpetual runners up in Scotland. And we both know where that will see Gerrard end up in the long term.

Windass scored 18 goals last season we sold him but wasn't replaced with someone to score more or the same. At the present moment our midfield players don't score or create enough.

I think hiding behind the whole project idea and Gerrard being a complete rookie are all too convenient excuses. We're now 4 seasons into our return to the top flight and have yet to lay a glove on them, notwithstanding the 29th December game. At what stage do we start to demand a real challenge? Is it next year? The year after?
Let's be honest, I don't think any supporter thinks we're a million miles away from Celtic, but any perceived gap, however big, will never be bridged until we address some of the points I raised in the OP.

Gerrard, the board and the majority of players do deserve a level of credit for their season's performances thus far, but this season is/was a real opportunity to go at them and achieve something (we might still yet, but looking increasingly unlikely) but our persistence with the bang average personnel or unwillingness to admit our deficiencies will only see us as the perpetual runners up in Scotland. And we both know where that will see Gerrard end up in the long term.

I'm finding it hard to give the rest of your post credibility after you state that we're 4 seasons into the top flight.

It's 2 and a half.

And every time we lose a manager, we press the reset button on that again. That's happened twice in those 2 and a half (not 4) seasons.

I'm finding it hard to give the rest of your post credibility after you state that we're 4 seasons into the top flight.

It's 2 and a half.

And every time we lose a manager, we press the reset button on that again. That's happened twice in those 2 and a half (not 4) seasons.

Point taken and an obvious oversight on my part. That being said, the rest of my point I think still applies.

Back