Punting Josh Windass - a mistake?

We dont play a formation that allows the role behind the striker he played last season. he doesnt score/assist the same playing out wide.

I dont think the main problem we have is the players, we play 1 formation and thats it, predictable and easy to counter

I agree with you to a degree, but reckon he would provide more goal threat than Davis did and would get closer to Defoe which might’ve
The thing is, if that was the main reason, and it could have been, then he still wouldn’t have been able to help on Saturday against a team who sat in. Or on other weekends when we faced the same problem.

I agree with you to a degree, but reckon he would provide more goal threat than Davis did and would get closer to Defoe which might’ve given him a bit more room to find space and in turn hopefully someone to find him.

I’m sane and I don’t think we are any weaker without Windass . We did well to get £2 million for him and I’m glad he’s gone .

Maybe I was OTT with the sane thing.
But can you look at it and say we’ve replaced his goals and assists? He probably got more goals than our main midfield has combined. That’s a massive issue.
Yes people might not like Josh Windass the person, but from a footballing perspective letting him go (or not replacing him) was a mistake imo

Better off shot of him. The you tube interview & Wigan fans wanting to 'send him back to Rangers' should be enough confirmation IMO.

We dont play a formation that allows the role behind the striker he played last season. he doesnt score/assist the same playing out wide.

I dont think the main problem we have is the players, we play 1 formation and thats it, predictable and easy to counter

Arfield has regularly played the no.10 role that Windass would’ve occupied
Only difference being Arfield works back more which in turn means no ones near Morelos

Which diddy side did he score against before telling the fans to shut it?

He has a shit load of talent but enough intelligence to make his dad look like Einstein.

He didn’t want to be here. Best rid.

Not a chance. We have enough gutless shitebags in the squad already.

Playing for Rangers requires much more than footballing ability I’m afraid, and although at times Windass looked to have all the talent required, he severely lacked the balls to ever make it with us.

Selling him isn’t the issue - selling him and not replacing what he brought IS the issue.

He generally only came alive in the final third, and could actually shoot with power. None of our current squad can shoot with power. You need that capability in and around the box.

I actually think we miss Jamie Murphy around the edge of the box. He has an eye for a run or through ball that none of the current forward players do

Jamie was becoming the new whipping boy on here before his bad injury. Now he's our saviour because he's been injured for months.

Typical of our support :D

Absolutely not but one thing missing from all the signings was a wide forward who can score goals, I expected one in January but it never came.

it was a mistake letting him go ive been syaing this to my friends for months we've missed his goals gerrard should of turned down the bid and insists that he stays

Last edited:
I don't think goals are the problem that needs fixed. We've scored 55 in the league (only 5 less than Celtic) with Alfie bagging 15 of those so no less than 40 have come from elsewhere.

It's midfield creativity we are missing the most.

Windass would not have been a solution to anything we need fixing and it was good money we bagged for him.

Not a chance. We have enough gutless shitebags in the squad already.

Playing for Rangers requires much more than footballing ability I’m afraid, and although at times Windass looked to have all the talent required, he severely lacked the balls to ever make it with us.

One of the things that verified the clubs position to sell him was his interview when he was told he was going and he just said ok and went home (not exactly those words).

If he should still be here, he should have stood up and said no. I’m staying. I’ll prove why.

No, he tucked his tail in, grabbed his flip flops and headed back to some back water

Id be very surprised if a chocolate fireplace could score 18 goals and have 8 assists in a football season. So thats abit of a ridiculous thing to say.

We need a creative midfielder that can unpick packed defences, that can drag a team over the line in a 1-0 stuffy win with one bit of creative magic. How many times did Windass do that with us? Because that is what the OP intimating here. Windass did well with us only when the team were playing well. In that regards, he was another Barrie McKay. Some talent there but heart of a mouse and hid when it wasn't going our way. So in that regard, yes, he was as much use as a chocolate fireplace, or an ashtray on a motorbike. Take your pick.

The amount of revisionist nonsense that gets spouted on here is amazing. Sometimes I think the saying 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' was created specifically with FF in mind

The critics would say that Windass only scored goals against shite opposition....but we are missing his goals against the "shite".

Goals has been a problem all season from our midfielders and wide men and if we don't sort this we will win nothing.

He is not exactly tearing it up at Wigan but was a more effective player for us than was given credit for.
Maybe. Murphy a bigger loss from wide.

I've got trouble convincing myself that our current players have the right mentality, commitment or determination to bring home a title

I don't need any convincing that JW hasn't got anything like the right mentality to be a professional footballer let alone a title winner

We need a creative midfielder that can unpick packed defences, that can drag a team over the line in a 1-0 stuffy win with one bit of creative magic. How many times did Windass do that with us? Because that is what the OP intimating here. Windass did well with us only when the team were playing well. In that regards, he was another Barrie McKay. Some talent there but heart of a mouse and hid when it wasn't going our way. So in that regard, yes, he was as much use as a chocolate fireplace, or an ashtray on a motorbike. Take your pick.

The amount of revisionist nonsense that gets spouted on here is amazing. Sometimes I think the saying 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' was created specifically with FF in mind

So you think a chocolate fireplace could score 18 goals?

33 games 13 goals 6 assists, decent return in his last season and under Gerrard I reckon we could have got more out of him.

The boy had something about him and the potential was there for all to see, however he has the heart of a mouse and was one of the first to hide when things weren't going our way.
That is the reason the boy will never reach his full potential and getting 2 million for him was a shrewd bit of business.

We got 2.5 million for him for a great 3 month period in two seasons. We sold him at the right time, we were never going to that kind of money again for him and he wasn't going to score as many as last season

Couldve done a job at number 10, however, another shitebag who didnt perform infront of the home crowd.

I actually don’t think it was that reason he did better away than home. He is just one of those players who was better in a more open game, or a counter attack situation. He was practically useless, and the wrong type of player for playing against a packed defence at Ibrox.

I think we will probably see the same with Defoe unless we have a big physical striker in the mix with him.

We are badly needing a physical striker with good aerial ability for these games where teams pack the penalty box with agricultural type defenders.

All these attacking wide players crossing for a Defoe, or Windass is just playing in to the opposition hands. If we had a player who was exceptional in the air these teams at Ibrox would probably have to rethink about doing that early in a game.

It would have been better to have him than not have him as he did score quite a lot of goals. Something we are missing outside of Morelos and our penalty taker. Could his goals have been the difference enough to get 8 points? Probably.

I'd have rather we just replaced him though, something which we failed to do well.

Considering we have muck like Candieas playing every week then yes.

Windass is average at best but always good for a goal.

Twice the player DC is however.

That is rubbish. Candeias is much better than Windass will ever be. His application and work rate are far superior as is his tracking back and defending. As a winger, Candeias is far more accomplished than Windass.

How is Windass getting on at Wigan, genuine question?

I'm glad we got shot, Gerrard obviously didn't fancy him and he doesn't get into our current set up.

Doing nothing for 70 minutes, coming up with a goal and thinking that's enough was now where near good enough. Extremely lazy off the ball.

Not sure about Windass but perhaps keeping Forrester would have been the creative force we need or I see Toral can't get in the Hull 18, anyone heard what the legendary Vuckic is up to?

33 games 13 goals 6 assists, decent return in his last season and under Gerrard I reckon we could have got more out of him.

See for those stats we got 2 million for him which was more than most of us expected.

Thank fuuk he scored as many as he did, folk on here were wanting to gie him away for not very much.

Back