Alfie reminds me of Hately

Alfredo is the better finisher, big Hateley terrorised defences but normally worked with a partner, Alfredo runs the line on his own.
I’m not sure about
Alfredo is the better finisher, big Hateley terrorised defences but normally worked with a partner, Alfredo runs the line on his own.
Hateley was a fantastic finisher who could score a fantastic range of goals. He bullied defenders and loved playing off another striker . Morellos has still a way to go before you can liken him to an international player of Hateleys calibre.

He's so strong and powerful when he's on the ball and hard to shake off it, when he's trying to shield or win it the opposing players are not strong enough to match him and they bounce off him and the man in black gives a foul against him. That's where his frustration comes in.

I think he's more like a shorter chunkier Daniel cousin but better which is saying something itself as cousin was superb. Like cousin players just bounce of Morelos and can't cope with him and he has great skill if not better than cousin did. One things for certain Morelos would hold his own in our better teams including the ones Hateley was involved in and not look out of place. Hateley was better though in my opinion and it's easy to forget just how good he was. His partnership with Mccoist was the stuff of dreams and will forever live on in the memory.

I’m not saying he’s at that level, by that I mean even if it’s 60-40 in favour of the defender 9/10 Alfie gets the better of him. He’s the closest we had to him since the great man terrorised Scottish football throughout the 90’s.

They are utterly terrified of him.

When watching the game earlier, even in positions where it didn't look like he would get anything and lost the ball, he managed to battle and win it and create chances. He absolutely terrorises defences, bosses them about. They don't know how to deal with him.

I’m not saying he’s at that level, by that I mean even if it’s 60-40 in favour of the defender 9/10 Alfie gets the better of him. He’s the closest we had to him since the great man terrorised Scottish football throughout the 90’s.

They are utterly terrified of him.

Which is why they keep banning him.

Hately could header a ball much better and was a different type of player and he is available to teach Alfredo that aspect of his game, Alfredo is unique in what he does and is still learning "Go El Buffalo"

I don’t think they play anything like each other!
I’m failing to see any similarities tbh.
Mark hateley was far a superior football player at his peak.
Alfredo is a cracking player but he’s totally different to hateley

Disagree with you bud. Both get on the end of things in the box, aggressive, speed to burn, can score with either foot and head, are able to create and convert on their own, harass and worry defenders etc. Complete strikers.

I love these comparisons:

Mark Hateley
A shorter Diego Costa
A chunkier and shorter Daniel Cousin :eek:
Luis Suarez

As it's in the OP, Hateley in his pomp was a far superior player to Morelos, IMO. The comparison (and above) are pretty wild.

They are terrified of him. He leaves a little on the defender which is enough to cause mistakes due to defenders know he’s coming in hard if they have the ball. It’s amazing how much of a different team we are when he plays.

Morelos is only 3" shorter than Costa; Morelos is 5' 10", and Costa is 6' 1". Morelos isn't really a wee guy, and Costa is that much of a big guy.

There is a bit of Gert Muller there, low centre of gravity, and strong as an.........well as a buffalo!

Disagree with you bud. Both get on the end of things in the box, aggressive, speed to burn, can score with either foot and head, are able to create and convert on their own, harass and worry defenders etc. Complete strikers.
Mate mark hateley could score headers from anywhere,his napper was absolutely lethal.
To say hateley “could get on the end of things” is understatement of the century!

Mate mark hateley could score headers from anywhere,his napper was absolutely lethal.
To say hateley “could get on the end of things” is understatement of the century!

If “could get on the end of things” was all I said Hateley had as a striker that’d be an understatement . But I didn’t so it’s not. At this point in Alf’s career Mark Hateley was much better no arguments. All I’m saying is that despite being physically different they have similar styles. Not identical but similar. Similar.

If “could get on the end of things” was all I said Hateley had as a striker that’d be an understatement . But I didn’t so it’s not. At this point in Alf’s career Mark Hateley was much better no arguments. All I’m saying is that despite being physically different they have similar styles. Not identical but similar. Similar.
Yer baws:p

Hateley played as part of a front two and whether it was McCoist or Johnston they were excellent together.

Morelos playing as a lone striker has everything, he terrorises the defenders, his finishing has improved leaps and bounds.

He will be a top top striker.

I’d say Alfie is a young mixture of Suarez & Costa.

I think some are harsh in their comparisons with Hateley given their relative ages when with us.

Hateley played as part of a front two and whether it was McCoist or Johnston they were excellent together.

Morelos playing as a lone striker has everything, he terrorises the defenders, his finishing has improved leaps and bounds.

He will be a top top striker.

once mccoist broke his leg he played mostly up front on his own and was a colossus

I see a similarity with Alfredo and a young Wayne Rooney. His strength, his control, his hold up play, his ability to drive forward, his eye for goal and it's almost impossible to knock him off the ball. Similar build too. Not an out and out striker but just indispensible.

Playing in a team that won how many previous? Compared to alfie being part of a team who has been where, previously?

It’s tough to compare Alfie with anyone

Yet people insist on doing so.

I don’t know if you’re old enough to remember but we were bloody dreadful in 93/94. We only won the league because of Hateley.

Last edited:
Back