Mccrorie as a CB

Edmond Dantes

Was thinking that next season it looks like we will be tripping over midfielders with Davis, Kamara, Jack, Arfield, Docherty, Rossiter, Polster plus any youth we bring through and anyone we sign in that position. We have to get two CBs in too unless we start to play him as a Centre Back again? Most people reckon that is where he will end up playing is it time yet to get him playing games there again? Would mean we only have to buy one centre back.

If we'd played him at centre back instead of McCaully, we'd be in a title race right now.
CB or MF, I'd have Ross in the team every time in this league. The guy is hard as nails and we don't get bullied when he plays.

I can see him as a combatitive midfielder in certain games and when there are a number of injuries but long term I think he should be developed as a centre back. He has pace, can tackle, is good in the air but needs the guidance of an experienced centre back to help him positionally. Likely a future captain. I think he may lack the creativity to make him a midfield fixture ahead of others. Just my opinion and I wouldn’t be overly surprised to be proved wrong and see him doing well in midfield.

If we'd played him at centre back instead of McCaully, we'd be in a title race right now.
CB or MF, I'd have Ross in the team every time in this league. The guy is hard as nails and we don't get bullied when he plays.
McAuley has played like 3 games?

McAuley has played like 3 games?

Our problem was that Gerrard was chopping and changing the CH partnership every couple of weeks, it wasn't so much as who was playing it was that they were never allowed to get a partnership going.

Thats what killed us (and not being able to counter Aberdeens thuggery, and not winning 3 of the most one sided games you will see vs HIbs)

Murty nearly ruined his career by playing him at CB in that Tim game, even Gerrard acknowledged it.

He has real good potential for DCM, Lets not try shoehorning him in anywhere else.

That is just mince. The lad has grown up playing his entire life as a central defender. He made mistakes against decent and strong centre fowards, but none of those mistakes were ones you wouldn't expect of a young player and he wasn't helped by being paired with Russell Martin. Compare him to Worrall for a second, McCrorie is miles quicker, and much stronger in the tackle, there's not much between then in terms of aerial capability. I am not sure what it is that it is that makes him not a defender. He is 6ft 3, powerful and has great defensive instincts and attributes. If anything we are trying to force the issue with him in midfield rather than the other way around, all because of a couple of naive performances as a young lad, in a shocking team, that got well beaten.

AIn midfield his awareness and distribution in possession are not strong enough to see him anywhere near the Rangers team, expect for in specific matches where we are willing to sacrifice strength in possession for solidity out of it.

Ross McCrorie is a talented player who should be in the side every week, I am not convinced that will ever happen in midfield for Rangers, but he could be in at centre half most weeks and midfield for tough away fixtures and Europe.

We are screaming out for better distribution from the back, Aberdeen have consistently beaten us this season by allowing our centre halves to have the ball and defending tight everywhere else and Goldson and Worrall have been shocking in that regard. McCrorie could be the ideal solution to that challenge for most of our SPFL fixtures.

That is just mince. The lad has grown up playing his entire life as a central defender. He made mistakes against decent and strong centre fowards, but none of those mistakes were ones you wouldn't expect of a young player and he wasn't helped by being paired with Russell Martin. Compare him to Worrall for a second, McCrorie is miles quicker, and much stronger in the tackle, there's not much between then in terms of aerial capability. I am not sure what it is that it is that makes him not a defender. He is 6ft 3, powerful and has great defensive instincts and attributes. If anything we are trying to force the issue with him in midfield rather than the other way around, all because of a couple of naive performances as a young lad, in a shocking team, that got well beaten.

AIn midfield his awareness and distribution in possession are not strong enough to see him anywhere near the Rangers team, expect for in specific matches where we are willing to sacrifice strength in possession for solidity out of it.

Ross McCrorie is a talented player who should be in the side every week, I am not convinced that will ever happen in midfield for Rangers, but he could be in at centre half most weeks and midfield for tough away fixtures and Europe.

We are screaming out for better distribution from the back, Aberdeen have consistently beaten us this season by allowing our centre halves to have the ball and defending tight everywhere else and Goldson and Worrall have been shocking in that regard. McCrorie could be the ideal solution to that challenge for most of our SPFL fixtures.

Sorry mate, but nearly all of that is "mince"

Was thinking that next season it looks like we will be tripping over midfielders with Davis, Kamara, Jack, Arfield, Docherty, Rossiter, Polster plus any youth we bring through and anyone we sign in that position. We have to get two CBs in too unless we start to play him as a Centre Back again? Most people reckon that is where he will end up playing is it time yet to get him playing games there again? Would mean we only have to buy one centre back.

I like McCrorie as a developing DM, but he was every bit as poor as Martin in the LC semi against them and the league game at the piggery last season.

As we saw against Dembele, he simply didnt have the physicality required.

Sorry mate, but nearly all of that is "mince"

Which bits?

- he has grown up most of his life playing as a defender
- he had a couple of bad games vs. Dembele and Edouard where he was too keen to get to the ball on a couple of occasions and was rolled, that is a mistake you would expect a young player to make, especially as he would probably have done that successfully every time when playing against players in youth leagues
- he was playing next to Russell Martin
- the team he was playing in got battered all over the park
- he is 6ft 3
- he is quick
- he is strong in the tackle
- he is strong in the air
- he has great defensive instincts
- he struggles in midfield to open his body, his awareness of what is behind him is not what it needs to be to play that position
- his passing from midfield is not as good as other players we have in that position
- he's unlikely to ever become a mainstay of the team in central midfield for those reasons, he is too good not to be playing most weeks
- his distribution with the game in front of him would be a huge step up compared to that of any of Goldson, Worrall or Katic

To be honest I would think a spell away on loan next season would help him a huge amount.

I don't see him as a starter just now and he really needs a full season out on loan at a SPFL club and we will see him come on leaps and bounds.

Just now I don't see him playing ahead of Jack, Kamara, Davis and certainly not Arfield.

I like McCrorie as a developing DM, but he was every bit as poor as Martin in the LC semi against them and the league game at the piggery last season.

As we saw against Dembele, he simply didnt have the physicality required.

I think the boy could be a top player for us in years to come, but he isn't a centre half.

His positioning is extremely suspect (I remember the game he was lauded at CB at Ibrox vs them, it was his positioning that allowed Griffiths in to score), He struggles with Strikers infront of him with back to goal, gets turned too easy and lets runners go, isn't dominant in the air - he is just not a centre half.

DM he has all the attributes as a sweeper type in front of the CH partnership and it is something he does very well IMO better than Jack when he is asked to do that role and IMO is the one natural player we have who can play that role.

Which bits?

- he had a couple of bad games vs. Dembele and Edouard where he was too keen to get to the ball on a couple of occasions and was rolled, that is a mistake you would expect a young player to make, especially as he would probably have done that successfully every time when playing against players in youth leagues
- he is 6ft 3
- he is quick
- he struggles in midfield to open his body, his awareness of what is behind him is not what it needs to be to play that position
- his passing from midfield is not as good as other players we have in that position
- he's unlikely to ever become a mainstay of the team in central midfield for those reasons, he is too good not to be playing most weeks
- his distribution with the game in front of him would be a huge step up compared to that of any of Goldson, Worrall or Katic

The bits in bold, especially the "the team he was playing in got battered all over the park" part, seeing as him playing CH was a major contributing factor in it.

He doesn't have CH instincts, you watch the games he played at that position, not just the ones we got smacked around in, the one at Ibrox for instance when his instincts were so far off wrong Griffiths was one on one with the keeper as the ball was played in behind him resulting in a goal.

He actually does have the instincts to play DM, Can read where the ball is going, can lay it off quickly, is strong enough to block and harass.

He's decent at CB but I think we need someone who is able to consistently play in that position. McCrorie is better in midfield the way I see it. Hopefully a good signing in the summer will fill that void.

The bits in bold, especially the "the team he was playing in got battered all over the park" part, seeing as him playing CH was a major contributing factor in it.

He doesn't have CH instincts, you watch the games he played at that position, not just the ones we got smacked around in, the one at Ibrox for instance when his instincts were so far off wrong Griffiths was one on one with the keeper as the ball was played in behind him resulting in a goal.

He actually does have the instincts to play DM, Can read where the ball is going, can lay it off quickly, is strong enough to block and harass.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree.

He is an tremendous athlete, much quicker than most centre halves in the league. To say he wasn't posted in a tough role that day, next to one of the worst experienced defenders I've ever seen in a Rangers jersey also just seems way off too. He made a few mistakes but as I say, none that you wouldn't expect of a young player. He would look a lot more organised playing next to Goldson in my view.

I also think not seeing his shortcomings as a central midfielder is short sighted. He clearly doesn't have appreciation of what is around / behind him when we have possession of the ball. He is miles behind Jack, Kamara, David and Arfield in that regard.

Reading a game as a centre half is totally different to reading the game as a defensive midfielder.

Here in lies the problem

Attributes aside, your ability to read what is happening as a defender is the difference in that position

I am still not sure about RM.

He could develop into a top player for us at DM not in defence.

He could be a utility player.

Much as we want to see our youths progress, stepping up to the first team and playing well consistently in front of 50k looking at every mistake is no easy task.
We have many experts on here and quotes like future captain pile even more pressure on the lad.
His main attribute is his athleticism.

Ross McCrorie has the advantage of being able to play anywhere in the team, but I don’t think he has the physical stature to be a good CB.

Someone mentioned RB, and I think that’s somewhere he would strive. I’d love to see him as the future RB of the team.

McCrorie has looked at time a great midfielder, but never a great defender. Just because he tall and somewhat aggressive people still think he could do a job at CB, but is not great defensively in the air despite his height.

He has shown that he can be a class ball-winning midfielder.

Which bits?

- he is 6ft 3
- he is quick
He's never 6"3. A lot of these transfermarket sites have him down as that. He's lucky if he's 6"0.

He's poor in the air for a CB in a league that has a lot of battering rams. It could work in emergency situations but he's a midfielder

He’s not big enough to be an elite CB for me. He’s no tiddler though and the physique he does have and the anticipation and aggressive ball winning should make for a cracking DM.

He's not very good in that position is better as a defensive midfielder.

It is actually a superd shout. As 4th choice and it allows us to spend the money on other options especially GM wages.

McCrorie is our new Hemdani, in for the big games to disrupt the rhythm of the other teams but not needed when teams are sitting back and defending

Because he is too good as a midfielder or because you content him as a cb?
I have always seen the lad as a midfield player from the day he first broke into the side and said so.
However, there may come a time when he is experienced enough to take a step back, but that isn't now and it won't be for a few years yet.

Murty nearly ruined his career by playing him at CB in that Tim game, even Gerrard acknowledged it.

He has real good potential for DCM, Lets not try shoehorning him in anywhere else.
Only because of his youth.
I'm not sure what the future holds for him.
If it's at midfield, it might not be soon.

Back