Will we buy any proven real quality players?

LarkfiedLoyalNS

Serious question.

I am happy with the signings so far but is a bit of reminiscing of last summer getting deals done early in the loan market and taking the gamble on smaller fee unknown players as well as a few out of contract players.

Are we in a position to spend 3-4 million on a quality player it’s a serious question?

Although if we manage to get Kent for another year which is basically like buying a player for 1 year and the pressure on Joe Aribo (if he signs) is enormous with how long it has dragged out it will be a major boost.

Or will our real proven quality come as a loan like Andre Gray for example or someone of that caliber?

I’d hope we’ll get one “marquee” signing, but not much more beyond what we’ve currently got/what we’re in for. Some expectations are a bit high, as usual.

I’d hope we’ll get one “marquee” signing, but not much more beyond what we’ve currently got/what we’re in for. Some expectations are a bit high, as usual.

I’d be happy with one even if it meant a loan, I think we need someone who can win a game with one pass, finish or move.

We are Rangers, expectations aren’t going to get any lower neither should they IMO.

Is anyone within our financial reach of ‘proven’ quality?

Scotland’s a shite league, but it’s sent a fair few apparently good players away with their tails between their legs.

Reactions: cav
I think it will only happen if we get rid of a good few players out of SG’s plan and also probably Morelos.

I think there'll be one or two £3m + players bought.

To be honest, there needs to be. Last season showed we're missing a couple of "difference makers" that turn draws into wins.

I agree with this- most of the singings so far seem like-for-like the quality we had last time or have now, and we obviously need to improve a bit.
I don’t think we need a superstar as such, but a couple of players who can just come in and start delivering in the same way as guys like Jelavic, Darchville, Cousin, Bougherra, etc have in the past.

As a previous poster said - only if we punt Morelos. And if we do we can’t be doing it last day of the window

I think there'll be one or two £3m + players bought.

To be honest, there needs to be. Last season showed we're missing a couple of "difference makers" that turn draws into wins.
There does need to be, and everyone agreed that prior to the split. That small batch of games when the season was over influences everyones opinion far too much.

I'm not confident we'll see it considering the size of the squad & the amount signings we've already made/about to make.

I’m including Kent as already happening and Aribo too. That’s a big if and being hopeful.

If we are to improve on last season we must improve as a squad too and we need more genuine quality even if it is a costly loan or two.

Have people not been saying Aribo would be a £5m approx buy with a fee? If we spent that much on him, he would be seen as a big signing

No because we can't afford them.

Our signings will now be young with potential: Morelos, Katic, Aribo, Edmundson Hastie

Domestic and low risk: Kamara, Stewart, Jones,

Older with maybe 1 season left in the legs: Davis, Defoe.

You can shop in the smaller leagues for hidden gems but I reckon the club will have been put off that by Grezda and Barisic for now.

We have to recruit more players. Last season showed us the squad lacked quality. Some free transfers and a 650K player will not add the necessary depth our squad needs to win titles. If we can get Aribo over the line I think we still need at least two more. They will cost money. An outlay around 4m I'm thinking.

Reactions: Gee
From a financial point of view unless Morelos goes I don’t think we’ll have the funds for an Andre Gray type signing. Saying that if we get Kent and Aribo over the line we are not far away from a title winning side.

Imagine what we would have accomplished if a year ago we went into the season with Defoe, Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Edmundson and Ojo in our squad?

If we get Kent and Aribo in soon hopefully we can start offloading a fair few players as we must have about 50k a week flying out the door on players who contributed nothing last season.

If we can free up these kind of wages we might be able to get some quality on loan later in the window.

I can't see it, the market's changed too much for us to be able to get a proven real quality player now. They paid £9M for Edouard and Kent has a £10M price tag on him. The scouting networks at the big European teams have all the talent from Scandinavia and Eastern Europe tied up. Ultimately we are going to be gambling in every transfer window hoping that someone will shine, do well for us and make us a profit in a year or twos time.

Been massively underwhelmed thus far. Seems we’re waiting to see what happens re: SDI damages before bringing in frontline players.

The worry is that no 1st team talent comes in and yet we sell Tav and el buffalo.

We have to, the players we have brought in i dont think can bridge the gap.
If there was ever a time to go for it then its now, if we %^*& up due to lack of good signings then real questions will need answered

From a financial point of view unless Morelos goes I don’t think we’ll have the funds for an Andre Gray type signing. Saying that if we get Kent and Aribo over the line we are not far away from a title winning side.

Imagine what we would have accomplished if a year ago we went into the season with Defoe, Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Edmundson and Ojo in our squad?

If we get Kent and Aribo in soon hopefully we can start offloading a fair few players as we must have about 50k a week flying out the door on players who contributed nothing last season.

If we can free up these kind of wages we might be able to get some quality on loan later in the window.

Andre Grey? No chance. His wages alone would cripple us.

No because we can't afford them.

Our signings will now be young with potential: Morelos, Katic, Aribo, Edmundson Hastie

Domestic and low risk: Kamara, Stewart, Jones,

Older with maybe 1 season left in the legs: Davis, Defoe.

You can shop in the smaller leagues for hidden gems but I reckon the club will have been put off that by Grezda and Barisic for now.
I hope the club haven’t been put off. As the European markets have a lot of hidden gems in them.

Reactions: cav
If Morelos and/or Tav go then I believe we will. If not then we won't as we simply don't have the money.

Free signings are of good quality young players. Saving the cash for Kent? Im expecting a fee of millions on at least 1 player. With no outgoings of any quality (big fees) id say we are ready to go as we stand.

I think we simply have to add at least 2, possibly 3 decent quality signings to make us real challengers for this league.
The signings so far admittedly have been of a better quality than the squad players we have at present but I still feel that’s not enough to make us more consistent than we were up until before the split.
We also need to make every effort to rid the club of players not good enough, easier said than done admittedly.

Serious question.

I am happy with the signings so far but is a bit of reminiscing of last summer getting deals done early in the loan market and taking the gamble on smaller fee unknown players as well as a few out of contract players.

Are we in a position to spend 3-4 million on a quality player it’s a serious question?

Although if we manage to get Kent for another year which is basically like buying a player for 1 year and the pressure on Joe Aribo (if he signs) is enormous with how long it has dragged out it will be a major boost.

Or will our real proven quality come as a loan like Andre Gray for example or someone of that caliber?

It's early days in the window.
In the very unlikely event we don't sign anyone else then we can forget winning the title. However, the manager knows we need an injection of genuine quality to have any chance of success and I'm convinced we'll see that quality come in.

Kalas, Lowe, Aribo, Kent, Gray, are the players I want signed. If it means selling Morelos then so be it and I think there will be a massive push to offload a lot of fringe players/dross.

I don’t think £3-4 million gets you a ‘marquee’ signing in a market such as ours with proximity to England.

The bar has been raised hugely even in the last couple of years with the fees down there.

kamara, tavernier, morelos

we have to trust the scouting/dof

no more grezda like signings costing millions

In my opinion we could do with a proven striker to add to our attacking quality. We all love Morelos and he is banging in the goals but can be a liability sometimes with silly red cards. It would be good to have someone else up front with him. Defoe showed his class but don’t think he’s the type of player who can play every minute of every game anymore. Someone like Andre Gray would be great and would work.

Back