Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Copy of reply from ruth davidson received just now...

Dear Tommy,

Thank you for writing to me with your concerns surrounding historical child abuse within Scottish football.

The reports that have emerged in recent years are extremely distressing, and while it is welcome that Jim Torbett and others have been convicted for their depraved acts, this issue clearly goes wider. Any further allegations of criminality must be swiftly investigated by the police so that further criminal proceedings can be brought where necessary.

The Scottish Football Association’s Chief Executive has apologised to those young people who suffered sexual abuse in football and I think he was right to do so. The Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football commissioned by the SFA found child protection policies at all levels were and still are not fit for purpose. The report has made a number of recommendations to address this and I believe they should be implemented as soon as possible. It is vital that we in Parliament play our part in holding the SFA and other bodies to account on this.

Further to this, my colleague Adam Tomkins, MSP for Glasgow, has written to Ian Maxwell, chief executive of the SFA and to Peter Lawwell, chief executive of Celtic FC to seek urgent meetings on this subject. Through a series of criminal trials, we now know something of the scale of the abuse committed by a number of the men associated with Celtic boys’ club. What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it. These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up earlier this year by Manchester City FC.

It is clear that victims of child abuse in football have been let down, and I very much hope Police Scotland, clubs and the SFA will give them the closure they need and the justice they deserve.

Please be assured the Scottish Conservatives will closely monitor developments on this matter over the coming weeks and months.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Ruth Davidson

Rt Hon Ruth Davidson MSP
Leader of the Scottish Conservatives
MSP for Edinburgh Central
Scottish Parliament
Edinburgh
EH99 1SP

"andrewmount1"; Whilst respecting that you are from a legal background, a few of us on here have a construction management background. So would it not be fair
to say that many Corporate bodies have been prosecuted on Criminal Charges by
the Crown on behalf of the Health Safety Executive, which includes Directors and
operatives. Which as you know, could face " UNLIMITED FINE(S)" for more serious
charges, including prison for corporate manslaughter.

Notwithstanding the above, who is to say that HSE are not already in the process of
creating an investigation into the UK Wide Child Abuse within, but not solely,
English and Scottish Football.

Do you consider that HSE could have a field day (no pun intended) with this
matter, where they would appear to have an open canvass, especially for all
contraventions occuring within a Club Stadia/Training Facility or considered
as separate facility. :)

You are morally correct. Let me draw your attention to the Cumbrian rail incident a few years ago. In the immediateaftermath, it was sought that the directors of the rail network operating compWhilst respecting that you are from a legal background, a few of us on here have a construction management background. So would it not be fair
to say that many Corporate bodies have been prosecuted on Criminal Charges by
the Crown on behalf of the Health Safety Executive, which includes Directors and
operatives. Which as you know, could face " UNLIMITED FINE(S)" for more serious
charges, including prison for corporate manslaughter.

Notwithstanding the above, who is to say that HSE are not already in the process of
creating an investigation into the UK Wide Child Abuse within, but not solely,
English and Scottish Football.

Do you consider that HSE could have a field day (no pun intended) with this
matter, where they would appear to have an open canvass, especially for all
contraventions occuring within a Club Stadia/Training Facility or considered
as separate facility. :)[/QUOTE]
Let me draw your attention to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4816206.stm . As you see the men on the ground went to prison. Or here https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/network-rail-accused-over-death-6257191.html?amp where the local engineer was hung out to dry. In other words the body corporate is much more difficult to pin down as opposed to an individual. One can reasonably assume in this case that criminal charges would be brought against those engaged in the abuse. That relies on victims having the nerve to go to court and that is no small undertaking. With regards to damages, this is a civil matter but again requires victims to go public. My opinion is that these cases should be held in camera and the victims spared public scrutiny. And of course damages have to be paid by an entity which has the funds. Unless and until it can be ratified that that an entity with monies is guilty it is not a given that a law firm will proceed with the cases. As it stands nad if the feeling is that legally, the entity here is a peniless boys club, you can see the dilemma. This is not a cut and dried case about sueing your contractual empoyer. A non breakable link has to be establised between the entities in this case. And it wont matter who is looking into it if charges are to be brought for the civil case at least. No liable entity with monies equals no damages equals no cases can be brought forward

Apologies to the people I have sent lists to but I missed the ones below off (this was posted a couple of weeks ago)

Dafabet

They have not responded to one e-mail, so I have tried to hit them from another angle.

Dafabet is owned by Asian Betting and Gaming Enterprise (Asian BGE)
Website
https://www.asianbge.com/

Asian BGE major shareholder is Asian Logic
Website
https://www.asianlogic.com/contact-us/

Asian Logic have now got an e-mail regard the Child Abuse and also complaining about the lack of response from Dafabet

So here is some e-mail address's to add to your list
E-mails
ir@asianlogic.com;
info@asianlogic.com

Reply from brian whittle just now.

Thank you for writing to me with your concerns surrounding historical child abuse within Scottish football.

The reports that have emerged in recent years are extremely distressing, and while it is welcome that Jim Torbett and others have been convicted for their depraved acts, this issue clearly goes wider. Any further allegations of criminality must be swiftly investigated by the police so that further criminal proceedings can be brought where necessary.

The Scottish Football Association’s Chief Executive has apologised to those young people who suffered sexual abuse in football and I think he was right to do so. The Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football commissioned by the SFA found child protection policies at all levels were and still are not fit for purpose. The report has made a number of recommendations to address this and I believe they should be implemented as soon as possible. It is vital that we in Parliament play our part in holding the SFA and other bodies to account on this.

Further to this, my colleague Adam Tomkins, MSP for Glasgow, has written to Ian Maxwell, chief executive of the SFA and to Peter Lawwell, chief executive of Celtic FC to seek urgent meetings on this subject. Through a series of criminal trials, we now know something of the scale of the abuse committed by a number of the men associated with Celtic boys’ club. What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it. These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up earlier this year by Manchester City FC.

I am a member of both the Health & Sport and Public Petitions Committee. Both of these Committees are currently involved in investigations looking at this issue and examining the current situation in Scottish youth football when it comes to safeguarding children. As a lifelong football fan and a great supporter of youth sport, I firmly believe we must take every necessary action to prevent the kind of horrific cases of abuse that have been uncovered from ever happening again.

It is clear that victims of child abuse in football have been let down, and I very much hope Police Scotland, clubs and the SFA will give them the closure they need and the justice they deserve.

Please be assured the Scottish Conservatives will closely monitor developments on this matter over the coming weeks and months.

Yours sincerely,
Brian Whittle MSP

Office of Brian Whittle MSP
Member of the Scottish Parliament for South Scotland Region

He's anyone emailed Rangers Hating Conflict of Interest SPFL chairman Murdoch MacLennan?

Rest assured that Shifty McGifty is doing his bit, along with Hollicom, to successfully quell the story at every opportunity.

Surely they will run out of deflection tactics soon, meanwhile one would have thought that the SPFL would be available to make a public comment on this Scandal. If only there was a reporter brave enough in this Rhepublican enclave.

I've listened to Mrs Gray's statement on RC and found it incredibly moving, you can hear the heartbreak in her voice. Absolutely tragic when you multiply that pain hundreds of times for the countless victims.

I wonder if Marc Horne at The Times knows about the MacLennan appointment, any company who has to hire the like of him and Hollicom are firefighting.

Dear Tommy,

Yours sincerely,

Ruth Davidson

Rt Hon Ruth Davidson MSP
Scottish Parliament
Edinburgh
EH99 1SP

Well done Tommy.

To me, compensation isn’t enough for the abused & their families. These people deserve justice via a very clear public mechanism mate. One that exposes everything via a very public manner, and doesn’t mean a wee Lawwell brown envelope with way too little cash for these people’s suffering.

And for the other abused & paedos, specifically thinking of the ‘Birt & McSherry List’ of 14, how do we know our country is cleansed of these animals without this going into a detailed Inquiry ?

I hope the Grays & others fight for this required Inquiry to the death. I would, and I will while it lasts.

Last edited:
Reply from brian whittle just now.

I am a member of both the Health & Sport and Public Petitions Committee. Both of these Committees are currently involved in investigations looking at this issue and examining the current situation in Scottish youth football when it comes to safeguarding children. As a lifelong football fan and a great supporter of youth sport, I firmly believe we must take every necessary action to prevent the kind of horrific cases of abuse that have been uncovered from ever happening again.

Yours sincerely,
Brian Whittle MSP

Office of Brian Whittle MSP
Member of the Scottish Parliament for South Scotland Region

Top man.

Dear Tommy,

Yours sincerely,

Ruth Davidson

Rt Hon Ruth Davidson MSP
Scottish Parliament
Edinburgh
EH99 1SP
Roughly same one I got

The political dam will only break when one of these politicians have the backbone to question Sturgeon directly at Holyrood on this national scandal. They've all been too scared to so far.

They’re not scared.

Please read the post yesterday by Rathcool Kai ( I think ) which includes an email from Adam Tomkins to Willie Rennie.

There are more cases to come as advised by Ian Maxwell to Tomkins.

Whether we like it or not we need to show patience mate.

Meanwhile we are building this up through all possible political, media & commercial sources to create that dam that will burst at the right time in the months ahead.

"Spectacularly wrong?"...bit over dramatic.
Yes,a schoolboy error was made ,i mistakenly put birts name in ,instead of cullens and accept it.
I don't think it undermines or undoes anyones or my own efforts to bring the guilty into the spotlight and acheive justice for the victims.

I'm not on here to have a debate or whatever with you,but i do recall you being critical of others efforts on here,can i ask what you have done to bring justice for the victims?,who have you emailed,tweeted or written to?,what replies you have had to date?,have you pisted anything in relation to your efforts or replies?.

Again,i accept an error was made but you won't stop me in my pursuit of justice.

PM me mate ?

If anyone can supply a list of email addresses for the following,i'd be gratefull.

Hugh keevins
Roger hannah
Mark guidi
David provan
Frank mc avennie
Graham speirs

And anyone i've missed.

Cheers in advance

Copy of reply from hasbro....

Dear Tommy

Thanks for your email. Celtic Monopoly is manufactured by our licensee, Wining Moves. We have shared your comments with Winning Moves and we invite you to reach out to them directly for further assistance.

Winning Moves
Email address:orders@winningmoves.co.uk
Address: Winning Moves, PO Box 687 Rochdale, OL16 9LJ
Tel: 0207 262 9696
Rock on Tommy great effort

Again, this man covered it up and allowed Cairney to leave with his dignity intact instead of calling the Police.

"Square Deal Sam"; Sorry lads catching up to-day. That photo is at the bottom of the Stairs @ the old SFA Head Office at the west end of Park Gardens, Glasgow.
Think he was sided-in(?) on 91', after the wee shite Farry fuked off, absolute tool
of a man.:mad:

"Square Deal Sam"; Sorry lads catching up to-day. That photo is at the bottom of the Stairs @ the old SFA Head Office at the west end of Park Gardens, Glasgow.
Think he was sided-in(?) on 91', after the wee shite Farry fuked off, absolute tool
of a man.:mad:

That’s exactly right about the location of the picture Willbear.

But isn’t that Jack McGinn in the picture ?

I also done them individually mate although I left out any SNP's but hopefully today start on them and see if any of them have the balls to say anything. Unfortunately being one of the oldies the only thing I'm on is Twitter so anybody linked to them if I can find them get a wee History lesson of NoShame FC

You're like a dog with a bone. Get intae them JF :))

Just on so will PM you shortly.

Yes,a schoolboy error was made ,i mistakenly put birts name in ,instead of cullens and accept it.
I don't think it undermines or undoes anyones or my own efforts to bring the guilty into the spotlight and acheive justice for the victims.

I'm not on here to have a debate or whatever with you,but i do recall you being critical of others efforts on here,can i ask what you have done to bring justice for the victims?,who have you emailed,tweeted or written to?,what replies you have had to date?,have you pisted anything in relation to your efforts or replies?.

Again,i accept an error was made but you won't stop me in my pursuit of justice.

Confusing Hugh Birt with the paedophile John Cullen is getting it spectacularly wrong.

I don't want to clutter the board debating with you either, so if you have anything further to say then take it to pm.

Copy of reply from hasbro....

Dear Tommy

Thanks for your email. Celtic Monopoly is manufactured by our licensee, Wining Moves. We have shared your comments with Winning Moves and we invite you to reach out to them directly for further assistance.

Winning Moves
Email address:orders@winningmoves.co.uk
Address: Winning Moves, PO Box 687 Rochdale, OL16 9LJ
Tel: 0207 262 9696

Same one I got Tommy. It sounds a bit like a personal reply, but in effect, it's yet another generic one.

Keep up the good work mate.

Ex-Celtic Boys’ Club coach Frank Cairney loses second jail freedom bid
Frank Cairney, 84,was jailed for four years in February after he was found guilty of child sex abuse.

A paedophile former boss of Celtic Boys’ Club lost a bid for freedom yesterday while appealing his conviction for abusing eight children.
Lawyers for Frank Cairney, 84, applied for his release on bail ahead of the appeal hearing but the move was rejected by a judge.
Cairney was convicted of sickening attacks on young boys while running St Columba’s Boys Guild in Viewpark, Lanarkshire, and the under-16 team at Celtic BC.
The predator was jailed for four years in February.

Frank Cairney was jailed earlier this year for a 20-year long campaign of abuse (Image:
The Court of Criminal Appeal in Edinburgh was told Cairney had been suffering from ill health, including heart problems.
His defence team argued Cairney presented a low risk of re-offending and the charges he was convicted of dated back as far as 1965.

They added he had a fixed address in Viewpark and wasn’t a flight risk.
But judge Lord Turnbull threw out the application.
He said Cairney had been convicted of a “series of nasty charges” that involved a “breach of trust” for someone in his position.
Lord Turnbull added: “The sentence imposed took into account his age and the passage of time.”
The judge said he was considering the seriousness of the charges and the “apparent strength” of the appeal case when making his decision.

He added: “I am satisfied that interim liberation ought not to be granted and I refused the application.”
A previous bail bid by Cairney, who didn’t appear in court yesterday, was refused in May.
Cairney joined Celtic Boys Club in 1971 after being asked to run the youth side by legendary manager Jock Stein.
He used his position to molest youngsters in a church hall, in his car and at Celtic’s Barrowfield training ground.
Cairney denied nine charges of sexual abuse between 1965 and 1986 but a jury at Hamilton Sheriff Court convicted him.
Trial sheriff Daniel Kelly branded him a “wolf in sheep’s clothing”.
Cairney abused a 14-year-old boy on various occasions at the Barrowfield ground, as well as in other locations in Glasgow and Lanarkshire between September 1969 and December 1972.
He indecently assaulted a 15-year-old boy at the training ground between January 1985 and December 1986.
He assaulted two other boys aged between 14 and 17, at various Lanarkshire locations, including a church, between May 1965 and May 1970.
And he was convicted of lewd, indecent and libidinous behaviour against two 12-year-old boys in Lanarkshire between December 1965 and December 1968.
Celtic BC founder Jim Torbett was jailed for six years last November after being convicted of sexually abusing three boys during the 80s and 90s while running the youth outfit.
In May Jim McCafferty, 73, who worked with Celtic BC and Celtic FC, was jailed for six years and nine months for targeting ten teenage boys between 1972 and 1996.
Spill the beans, name names, you vile monster, you know it makes sense.

Confusing Hugh Birt with the paedophile John Cullen is getting it spectacularly wrong.

I don't want to clutter the board debating with you either, so if you have anything further to say then take it to pm.

Calm down mate. It’s easy to stand on the outside & criticise. Tommy works this every single day & if others did as much in as he did things would be brilliant.

Last edited:

Tommy. Your one of the most active along with the rest of us. We all mistakes pal. I’ve made a few. Respect to you mate.

You still haven't produced evidence of your efforts yet,until you do,i'd suggest winding your neck in and stop trying to be ultra critical.

You still haven't produced evidence of your efforts yet,until you do,i'd suggest winding your neck in and stop trying to be ultra critical.

And I'd suggest you get your facts correct before emailing intelligent people and making yourself look foolish.

many thanks for your input QC,currently firing out the following emails ,headed "sex abuse scandal in scottish psort - celtic fc"

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN,

As you may or not be aware,there is a sporting scandal ,the likes of which has never been seen in the world of sport currently under scrutiny in Scotland at present,via television and some media outlets.
This sporting scandal involves Glasgow Celtic F.C and it’s 50 plus years,yes 50 plus years of historic child abuse crimes committed against its youth players in its Celtic boys club,some of which crimes,took place on American soil and were covered up at the time by employees and coaches at the time and since.

Now,your company is either involved directly or indirectly in the sponsorship or support of this football club by way of your product or brand and as such,I find it disgusting to say the least,that you and your company,would want to be associated with any sex abuse scandal or tainted by the brush of Glasgow Celtic F.C ,it can only be damaging for your company brand to be involved with such an institution that has committed these heinous crimes against minors for over 50 years that were then covered up by corrupt officials within the club and possibly government officials.

We will only find out the true facts,as and when a full and independent public inquiry into this scandal takes place,an inquiry,which government MP’s and MSP’s are now calling for in Scotlands parliament and throughout Westminster.

As stated in the national press and television here in scotland,there has been 6 criminal convictions to date,with 4 currently in jail for child abuse crimes committed,these being Jim Torbett,JamesMc Cafferty,Frank Cairney and Gerald King,who have recently been convicted and sentenced to a number of years in jail ( one of whom,has been jailed twice now,so is a repeat offender,who was re-employed by the club after release from jail to go on and commit more sexual abuse of minors).One of the other disgusting paedophiles employed by the football club,was the club photographer Hugh Birt,who was caught with a cupboard full of over 250 black and white images of naked young boys ,this cupboard,was located within the stadium.

Surprisingly,the Scottish government has been silent so far on all calls from MSP’s for a public inquiry into this historic child abuse,particularly from the governments leader Nicola Sturgeon and her justice secretary Humza Yousaf but i’m sure the day of them calling for an open and transparent public inquiry will come,as the victims,of which there are hundreds seek justice via the courts,with cases being collated and lodged in courts each day and now with many opposition MP’s and MSP’s demanding action ,by way of a public inquiry into this scandal.

I’m sure if you had or have children and your child was systematically abused,you would want justice first of all and then put a safe distance between the abuser and your family,the abuser in this case being the above parties and your company,much in the same way Pepsi dropped Michael Jackson,when he was simarlarly accused of paedophilia,only this is on a far greater scale,hundreds of young children allegedly sexually abused or raped by club employees for over 50 years....doesn’t even begin to compute.

Does your company policy seek to support such paedophilia or organisations in which it allows it to happen and then cover it up for 50 years,when all the evidence is there online in media outlets for the world to see,all you have to do is google search the names and the proof is there.

With more and more revelations of child abuse reaching the media on an almost daily basis,does your company still wish to be involved with and indeed support a criminal organisation such as this?

I would urge you to take on board what has been said and do your own research into the disgusting and depraved child abuse,that has occurred at Glasgow Celtic F.C over the past 50 plus years and I would welcome your comments on whether your company will continue to support and sponsor a club tainted by an alleged operational paedophile ring from within its workings ,which in turn will influence my decision and many others on whether to continue buying your products.

We will not give up on the victims of this world sporting sex abuse scandal and we will continue to highlight it in the media and bring attention around the globe to this disgusting club and it’s disgusting and depraved history and we will bring attention to those connected to it in any way,shape or form in way of support or sponsorship as being supportive of paedophilia .

I await your reply.

Yours sincerely
Mate if you don't mind I'm gonna steal that, alter it a bit of course and start again on Sunday

Let me draw your attention to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4816206.stm . As you see the men on the ground went to prison. Or here https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/network-rail-accused-over-death-6257191.html?amp where the local engineer was hung out to dry. In other words the body corporate is much more difficult to pin down as opposed to an individual. One can reasonably assume in this case that criminal charges would be brought against those engaged in the abuse. That relies on victims having the nerve to go to court and that is no small undertaking. With regards to damages, this is a civil matter but again requires victims to go public. My opinion is that these cases should be held in camera and the victims spared public scrutiny. And of course damages have to be paid by an entity which has the funds. Unless and until it can be ratified that that an entity with monies is guilty it is not a given that a law firm will proceed with the cases. As it stands nad if the feeling is that legally, the entity here is a peniless boys club, you can see the dilemma. This is not a cut and dried case about sueing your contractual empoyer. A non breakable link has to be establised between the entities in this case. And it wont matter who is looking into it if charges are to be brought for the civil case at least. No liable entity with monies equals no damages equals no cases can be brought forward

This is a very interesting response. I suspect that most people on here, like me, don't have the background to understand fully the complexities and the cost of bringing a civil case such as this.

Essentially, as I understand it, there is a part of the civil case which concerns abuse perpetrated at CBC. However, as CBC has no money, there is no point going to court unless an unbreakable link is established between CBC and CFC (who do have money).

There could be another part which involves abuse by a Celtic employee and on Celtic premises. Presumably that one could go ahead assuming there is a victim who so desires and the evidence of corporate wrongdoing is there.

I appreciate that some victims just want their day in court. However, that day can be very expensive and especially when you are up against a well funded corporate opponent. So the money has to come from somewhere and if the victims don't have it then the case cannot go forward.

All of us on here believe that CBC and CFC were inextricably linked. But having that belief and proving the link in court are two different things. CFC obviously believe that they can win an argument that they were not. Lawyer's for the victims will have to move very cautiously, carefully and systematically in order to build a robust case that they were. That takes time.

Hi man. Hugely grateful for your work on this.

Just a suggestion, but time spent replying to that poster is time when you could fire off another email.

The guys posting style is blunt and aggravating. Best not too spend to much energy on trying to appease him/her.

Back