Ibrox capacity increase

Yes they bring in rows of seats and bolt them on it but that area isn't safe standing it is traditional standing, there is seating behind it

In Germany most ground have rail seating sections

I see. Perhaps we could do likewise.

I don’t believe this is feasible, frankly.

The study has been going on for months . Robinson has stated we will have a final answer in two months time . If it’s a non starter , why on earth kwpyld he have mentioned it at all ? There must be positive noises coming from the feasibility study otherwise as I say it would’ve been kept quiet .

We are rightly all extremely passionate about Ibrox and he knows saying what he did would whip us into a frenzy . Massive own goal to mention it if something isn’t going to come of it , just my opinion .

Safe standing on a ratio of more than 1=1 only happens on the continent, I don’t think a safety certificate would be granted for anything other than 1 to 1 ratio in this country.

Safe standing wasnt allowed till Celtic applied for a trial. We should apply for a trial with a ratio of 1 to 1.2. Rules can and do change.

LET'S treat this at face value and believe the intention is there.As far as I am aware everything DK has said would happen has.
Negativity is expected from our enemies not from within.If DK and the Board were sitting on their hands doing nothing they would be due criticism but not for trying to make improvements.w

It’s worth looking into every option we have. I know people have said in the past that structurally that we couldn’t fill the corners with seats, I wonder however if there is way to use them for safe standing.

If we can add seats, at a low cost, then we absolutely should do it.

It’s bizarre the amount of people calling it pie in the sky.

This news pleases me, onward and upward Rangers, keep moving, keep developing, keep growing as a club and a worldwide brand.

If you read my posts and Greg's you'll see that Greg admits he doesn't have the technical info on why ss cant increase capacity. Ive already explained why any technical isuues can be overcome.

As for "berating fans with shite"? Id say your comment is worth a ban. Im simply pointing out, as others have done, that any posts suggesting improvements to Ibrox are met with a variety of objections and negativety. Am I wrong?

As I see it mate there are two issues to overcome with your solution. Firstly, the depth of the terracing steps the rail seating would sit on. You say the steps depth could be increased. I bow to your knowledge as a QS but am at a loss as to how we could make the steps deeper yet keep the same number of rows. Secondly the authorities (football, or Government?) would need to approve the ratio you suggest rather than 1:1. Would they do so? If it’s the SFA probably not. If it’s Westminster I think they’ve a lot of other stuff on their plate right now.

As I’ve said before, anything is possible with the will and the cash but, logic dictates, the easy solution of 1:1 on existing steps is the more practicable, cheaper and faster solution. IF the Club even want to go down the SS route.

The study has been going on for months . Robinson has stated we will have a final answer in two months time . If it’s a non starter , why on earth kwpyld he have mentioned it at all ? There must be positive noises coming from the feasibility study otherwise as I say it would’ve been kept quiet .

We are rightly all extremely passionate about Ibrox and he knows saying what he did would whip us into a frenzy . Massive own goal to mention it if something isn’t going to come of it , just my opinion .

Unless we can solve the issue with the area behind the screens supporting the roof, there will be no seats in where the screens are unless some modern construction advancements have changed the possibility as it was looked into previously and found to not be possible at the time.

Our pitch is already the lowest it can be, there’s ways around it but not cost effective at all.

Pedantic but its robertson mate:)

The Bar72 concept saw front of Govan extended

Doable behind the goals

You cant do a Bar72 job on the end stands. They're different. They look similar to the Govan but aren't identical

There was always a cantilever overhang on the Govan rear. With the end stands, any seats you'd add to the rear with an overhang like Bar72 would just lose the rear row of the front tier.

As henningberg has said on the thread, the only possible option might be to merge the front and rear tiers and have a single tiered stand at either end but for all the work, you'd maybe at three rows at 200 odd seats wide.

You'd be lucky to put 1500 on the capacity for a fair cost.

If we can somehow fill in the corners and make the Broomloan and Copland stands one massive stand instead of being divided into front and rears, just imagine how good the atmosphere could be at Ibrox!

Bit of positivity mate.

Will never catch on:))

He also mentioned this while out at the ORSA convention.

Demand might be there but supply isn't. Murray would have done it if it was possible.
Dont think he would have, he spent %^*& all on the stadium which is what Robertson is alluding to when he says we have had to heavily invest.

He was attention seeking and all he cared about was feeding his own ego so he spun a load of nonsense and all he looked at was the short term solution spending on the team on pitch.

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, how did Bar72 increase capacity? I always just assumed they were a section of existing seats with a good view bundled with the added extra’s.

I saw that. Cheers.

If we ever allowed traditional standing areas again then the Dortmund model would be great to comply with European matches

As I said before not against safe standing but fully aware of the logistics behind it been installed in Ibrox and why currently can only be 1:1

We probably need to rip out the existing concentre base and remodelled to ensure a 1:1.8 could happen but that might mean that we lose a couple rows of seats in the process

As I see it mate there are two issues to overcome with your solution. Firstly, the depth of the terracing steps the rail seating would sit on. You say the steps depth could be increased. I bow to your knowledge as a QS but am at a loss as to how we could make the steps deeper yet keep the same number of rows. Secondly the authorities (football, or Government?) would need to approve the ratio you suggest rather than 1:1. Would they do so? If it’s the SFA probably not. If it’s Westminster I think they’ve a lot of other stuff on their plate right now.

As I’ve said before, anything is possible with the will and the cash but, logic dictates, the easy solution of 1:1 on existing steps is the more practicable, cheaper and faster solution. IF the Club even want to go down the SS route.

Im no expert but it seems to me that you could add additional rows if the rows were slightly shallower. Im not talking about a huge difference. Turn 5 rows into 6 therby adding 20%. Im sure there are architects out there that could do this easily. If not I'll get my daughter to do it.

With regards to cost. Of course it would be less expensive to install ss at 1 to 1 but the thread was about increasing capacity. Im suggesting the cheapest way to do this is through ss at a ratio greater than 1 to 1.

I appreciate there are legal and political hurdles to be overcome, just like our fanzone, but we seem to be making some progress in the political sphere.

I dont see any real viable alternatives if we want to increase capacity.

If we ever allowed traditional standing areas again then the Dortmund model would be great to comply with European matches

As I said before not against safe standing but fully aware of the logistics behind it been installed in Ibrox and why currently can only be 1:1

We probably need to rip out the existing concentre base and remodelled to ensure a 1:1.8 could happen but that might mean that we lose a couple rows of seats in the process

I dont think we need to go as high as 1 to 1.8. Re doing the concrete by turning 5 rows into 6 adds 20% to the capacity. If we go for 1 to 1.5 it adds 50%.

Dont be surprised if Liwell does this first.

This is nonsense. If we built a museum every single one of us would want to visit it at some point. It would be a money maker on match day and can be added onto the tour cost as well.
A £10 once a year from thousands of visitors will not make up for the 3-5k times £450 per year that the extra seats would bring in.

It will all depend if it is feasible.

With all due respect, I don’t think the club should be pushing the safety parameters on this issue. I don’t think I have to go into the reasons why.

I guess you're referring to 1971. This wasnt related to standing/ seating but I do understand the sensitivity. I was there and knew one of the victims. I also attended the unveiling of the memorial at Markinch. It was very emotional.

Pardon my ignorance, how did Bar72 increase capacity? I always just assumed they were a section of existing seats with a good view bundled with the added extra’s.
An extra 3 rows were “bolted on” to the front of the rear section and there is now a bigger overhang above the front section. Think it added an extra 600 seats or something.
Was said before this couldn’t be done at Copland and Broomloan stands as they are built differently with no room for overhanging rows of seats.

This is nonsense. If we built a museum every single one of us would want to visit it at some point. It would be a money maker on match day and can be added onto the tour cost as well.

It wouldn’t make any money. There is no footfall other than a match day. Stadium tours don’t generate enough people to make it viable. It’s been Looked at many times by the club, it’s not financially viable irrespective of the wailing and gnashing of teeth from folk on here.

I dont think we need to go as high as 1 to 1.8. Re doing the concrete by turning 5 rows into 6 adds 20% to the capacity. If we go for 1 to 1.5 it adds 50%.

Dont be surprised if Liwell does this first.

yeah true we can only go on what we are told the those that give permission for it

Said it i the hundreds of stadium upgrade threads we have had that the easiest and most cost efficient way of increasing the capacity would be to extend the rear of the Govan coplan and broomie.

One major problem would be the back of the Govan stand as it houses a lot of boxes and things like the argyl house restaurant but would see no reason they could not be incorporated into any expansion.

The corners being filled come with a host of problems not just the main one being the roof. And for little in the way of capacity increase.

Don't think it's fair to call it pie in the sky stuff, some engineers are brilliant working with them every day is something you notice. This type of project also would need to cost effective or its pointless unless one of our fantastic and incredibly wealthy board members were to take the hit on any new works.

Back