Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

The Daily Mail are running a two page spread.
The
Daily mail mails comments section has been getting bombarded by me, I just slip in on any subject finance all sports, News items, etc,dont know if it helps, but i am sure one or two after seeing this " CELTICS DEMISE WILL COME FROM THE MOUTHS OF CHILDREN"" nothing else just that, i am sure it must pique someones interest, i cant do a lot but thats my wee war any thing we can do to get this out there,

The
Daily mail mails comments section has been getting bombarded by me, I just slip in on any subject finance all sports, News items, etc,dont know if it helps, but i am sure one or two after seeing this " CELTICS DEMISE WILL COME FROM THE MOUTHS OF CHILDREN"" nothing else just that, i am sure it must pique someones interest, i cant do a lot but thats my wee war any thing we can do to get this out there,

Well done Baz. The more awareness it creates the better.

Bit weird paying out compensation for an entity that didn’t have anything to do with you...
069668c00048dbc196830ace303236d5.jpg

So how does that case, we're compensation has been paid. Help with the other victims, does it set precedent, can other victims point to it as proof, or are we still at where we were. Celtic claiming Seperate Entity and denial of the truth.

McCafferty was an employee so there are still so many others subject to their separate entity claim mate.

Still a long way to go & a big fight to fight.

Celtic have compensated this player because he played for Celtic FC and McCafferty was an employee of Celtic FC.

But don't be surprised if they still go down the separate entity route with Celtic Boys Club. They'll continue to try and wriggle their way out of this.

I genuinely hope this is the breakthrough the victims have been waiting for, but anyone expecting Celtic to come out with their hands in the air offering an unreserved apology for the misery caused and the lives they've ruined may be in for a disappointment.

Celtic have compensated this player because he played for Celtic FC and McCafferty was an employee of Celtic FC.

But don't be surprised if they still go down the separate entity route with Celtic Boys Club. They'll continue to try and wriggle their way out of this.

I genuinely hope this is the breakthrough the victims have been waiting for, but anyone expecting Celtic to come out with their hands in the air offering an unreserved apology for the misery caused and the lives they've ruined may be in for a disappointment.

Exactly. The fight goes on.

Bit weird paying out compensation for an entity that didn’t have anything to do with you...

But, but, but I thought they were ‘separate entities’? Why would you pay compensation for somebody else’s crimes?

Aye right ya shower of beasts.
That's an admission of guilt, so there's nothing to stop an enquiry any more

BS and c_s, if I understand the story in the Mail right, the compensation is to an ex-employee (the victim) for sexual abuse by another ex-employee (McCafferty). Even Celtic knew that the 'separate entity' bullshit wouldn't work in this case.

But McCafferty was also a Celtic Boys Club coach so, that begs the question, 'If they're admitting liability to sexual assault by McCafferty on a Celtic FC player, how can they distance themselves from sexual assaults by the same perpetrator on boys in Celtic Boys Club?'

As you say Mexi, if nothing else, it makes a full, independent enquiry an absolute imperative, now.

I'm sure their lawyers will have considered all the implications of paying out this compensation, but it's down to the representatives of the Celtic Boys Club victims (who were assaulted not only by McCafferty but also by Torbett, Cairney, Cullen and Strachan) to make their respective cases as strong as possible.

But it doesn't stop there. The remit of an independent inquiry must also include full, criminal investigation of all those who covered up the abuse;
* Former directors, managers, coaches and players of Celtic FC and Celtic Boys Club,
* Politicians of all parties (from local Councillors to MSPs and MPs),
* Police officers of every level of seniority,
* Clergy,
* Journalists (news and sports).

Reports of sexual assaults on young boys are emerging all the time - in Scotland, England (with possible links to Barry Bennell), on the European mainland and in the US. I doubt if the full extent of these crimes will ever be known, but with what we do know already, this could be the worst example of organised child sexual abuse in the history of world sport.

NOBODY should be exempt either from scrutiny or from any resulting criminal and civil consequences.

McCafferty was an employee so there are still so many others subject to their separate entity claim mate.

Still a long way to go & a big fight to fight.
Yes bud but it's fighting the good fight, for justice for the victims. McCafferty was an Celtic employee that is factual, he commited his heinous depravity on his victims regardless of whom they played or trained with. Celtic are liable regardless, he was their employee, therefore they are responsible for him whilst he was carrying out his employment, training young footballers under their and his auspices.

Quite obvious why Celtic started their own investigation two years ago. The legal firm caring out that investigation are actually just examining ways that Celtic can save face and pay out less compensation to victims. That's why they are saying that the Boys club is a separate entity. You can be sure there's no concern for the welfare of the victims.

Yes bud but it's fighting the good fight, for justice for the victims. McCafferty was an Celtic employee that is factual, he commited his heinous depravity on his victims regardless of whom they played or trained with. Celtic are liable regardless, he was their employee, therefore they are responsible for him whilst he was carrying out his employment, training young footballers under their auspices.

Absolutely agree Jwee. Sorry if I implied otherwise.

All I’m saying is that these victims of Cairney & Torbett etc still need our relentless support too.

You know what that club is like.

If £100k is the precedent set them these pricks are going to get off lightly.

The predictions of them being fucked by this are wide of the mark by the looks of it.

And more importantly it's a paltry sum to the victims for a life ruined.

Seen a few similar posts - I think what we need to appreciate is that the victim who will receive the payment will have accepted that.

He will have thought it through and while it never pays the cost of what he’s suffered, it may help him have closure. And that’s what counts for me in this individual case - if he is satisfied then that’s it.

There’s been a conviction and he can draw a line and hopefully move on.

If he has been coerced into it that’s a diff srtory but we will not know this

Are you implying it was?

Let’s agree that keeping it out of court and paying an affordable amount of undisclosed compo is exactly what Lawwell and the Beasts want.

In fact I’d imagine this is what they’ve been trying to do behind the scenes since it first reared its many heads.

If they reach agreement with all the victims, they can then issue a public apology and their lackeys in the media will be at pains to stress how noble Celtic are to have righted the wrongs of previous Yahoo administrations.

In terms of satisfying the victims it may suffice, but they’ll have avoided the worst ravages of what is surely one of the biggest if not the biggest scandals in British sporting history.

Dirty bastards at Nonce FC should be forced into a full public apology to the whole of Scottish football

Lieswell should be dragged screaming and wailing to a full independent inquiry as well as McGinn and Kelly too

Remember Paul Murray was forced to apologise for our EBT’s?

Well this is the 1st of many compo claims that will be paid out by Nonce FC

McCafferty will have abused a lot of kids and youths at Parkpaed so this won’t be the last payment

Absolutely agree Jwee. Sorry if I implied otherwise.

All I’m saying is that these victims of Cairney & Torbett etc still need our relentless support too.

You know what that club is like.
No, I never thought you were implying other, I'm just pushing my thinking that as McCafferty was a Celtic employee, they are liable if he was carrying out his duties under that employment. But at the same time abused victims also, regardless to the status of the victims, ie Seperate Entity or not

Last edited:
BS and c_s, if I understand the story in the Mail right, the compensation is to an ex-employee (the victim) for sexual abuse by another ex-employee (McCafferty). Even Celtic knew that the 'separate entity' bullshit wouldn't work in this case.

But McCafferty was also a Celtic Boys Club coach so, that begs the question, 'If they're admitting liability to sexual assault by McCafferty on a Celtic FC player, how can they distance themselves from sexual assaults by the same perpetrator on boys in Celtic Boys Club?'

As you say Mexi, if nothing else, it makes a full, independent enquiry an absolute imperative, now.

I'm sure their lawyers will have considered all the implications of paying out this compensation, but it's down to the representatives of the Celtic Boys Club victims (who were assaulted not only by McCafferty but also by Torbett, Cairney, Cullen and Strachan) to make their respective cases as strong as possible.

But it doesn't stop there. The remit of an independent inquiry must also include full, criminal investigation of all those who covered up the abuse;
* Former directors, managers, coaches and players of Celtic FC and Celtic Boys Club,
* Politicians of all parties (from local Councillors to MSPs and MPs),
* Police officers of every level of seniority,
* Clergy,
* Journalists (news and sports).

Reports of sexual assaults on young boys are emerging all the time - in Scotland, England (with possible links to Barry Bennell), on the European mainland and in the US. I doubt if the full extent of these crimes will ever be known, but with what we do know already, this could be the worst example of organised child sexual abuse in the history of world sport.

NOBODY should be exempt either from scrutiny or from any resulting criminal and civil consequences.

Great post John.

If £100k is the precedent set them these pricks are going to get off lightly.

The predictions of them being fucked by this are wide of the mark by the looks of it.

And more importantly it's a paltry sum to the victims for a life ruined.

Man city are only paying 65k per victim. Its shocking but UK law is very light with compo. There was never going to be a significant payout. The moral obligation for an apology as well as compensation of course should be minimum expected. A full independent public enquiry should be held though. The fact is hasnt is a national disgrace that lies firmly on the SNP door

Could you copy and paste the text, I can't access this for some reason?
CELTIC PAY DAMAGES TO ABUSED EX-PLAYER
Club agrees settlement with former player assaulted by kitman convicted of sex crimes
  • Scottish Daily Mail
  • 17 Aug 2019
  • By Stephen McGowan
CELTIC have paid ‘significant’ compensation to a former player who suffered sexual abuse by a coach at the club.
The current Scottish Premiership champions admitted liability for the historic abuse carried out by paedophile Jim McCafferty.
McCafferty, who worked for Celtic, Hibernian and Falkirk, was jailed for six years and nine months in May after admitting a series of historic crimes against teenage boys when he appeared at the High Court in edinburgh.
The 73-year-old had admitted ten charges of indecent assault and one charge of lewd and libidinous behaviour against boys aged between 13 and 19 – with some crimes dating back to 1972.
Police Scotland called the scale
of the abuse ‘unprecedented’. The former professional youth player raised a claim through the Personal Injury Court in Edinburgh, after his mental health was affected by abuse suffered during the 1990s.
The Scottish Daily Mail knows the identity of the player, who is now in his 30s, but he cannot be named for legal reasons.
While the exact sum to be paid has not been revealed, legal sources said based on previous payouts south of the Border it could be upwards of £100,000. Last night, the victim’s solicitor, Kim Leslie, confirmed Celtic had admitted liability for the abuse – all of which took place when McCafferty and the former player were full-time employees of the club. She said: ‘For decades, my client suffered as a result of McCafferty’s abuse, so above all else I’d like to pay tribute to him for the courage he has shown in stepping forwards.
‘Ever since McCafferty’s abuse was exposed, Celtic FC remained firm in its defence and denial of responsibility. However, after thorough investigations, I was able to present a robust case, which resulted in the club admitting liability. I hope the successful end to this legal action brings closure to my client and also brings hope to those who are considering a civil action of their own.’
Celtic bosses have expressed ‘regret and sorrow’ for other abuse claimants who played for Celtic Boys Club in the 1960s and 1970s, but have repeatedly distanced themselves from potential litigation by claiming their former feeder operation was an ‘entirely separate organisation’.
Boys Club founder Jim Torbett, coach Frank Cairney and former Boys Club chairman Gerald King have also been convicted for sex crimes against former players.
During the 1990s, however, McCafferty was a full-time employee of Celtic, working alongside first team and youth players when he abused his position of trust.
But as pressure grows on the club to accept legal liability for abuse that
‘The club admitted liability’
took place within the Boys Club, legal experts warn that ultimately the club could face multi-million pound compensation payouts.
Earlier this year, lawyer Patrick McGuire, who represented some victims, said: ‘We have intimated a large number of claims on behalf of survivors of all the four named paedophiles that operated under the guise of the wider Celtic umbrella.
‘We absolutely will be going to court, unless Celtic’s tack changes.’
The Parkhead club recently announced that its insurers had appointed a ‘wholly independent and experienced lawyer’ to investigate the sexual assault scandal.
Celtic declined to comment. In a recent statement, chief executive Peter Lawwell said: ‘We respect any claimants’ rights and our advisers will communicate with them and their representatives directly in the proper manner.’
Legal experts have predicted the final cost of compensation for abuse victims across British football could reach more than £100million. Chelsea Football Club faces paying millions of pounds for years of sexual abuse endured by youth players. Dozens of boys – some as young as ten – were groped, assaulted or raped in the 1970s by chief scout Eddie Heath, according to one of two damning reports commissioned by the club.
A second report states black players were blasted with ‘daily tirades’ of racism in the 1980s and 1990s. The club has apologised and offered compensation to the sex abuse victims.
One report found chances to stop Heath were missed because Dario Gradi – then an assistant coach at the club – failed to raise the alarm.
Gradi, 78, left Chelsea in the mid1970s. He denied trying to ‘smooth over’ the allegations, saying he raised them with senior staff.
He has also denied knowing about the activities of paedophile coach Barry Bennell, an ex-Chelsea youth player who also worked at Manchester City and Crewe.
Bennell has been jailed for 31 years for abusing young players. Manchester City is also set to offer millions of pounds in compensation to victims of historic child sexual abuse.
A senior judge this week set a date for Cairney, 84, to appeal against his conviction for sexual abuse. He was jailed for four years after being convicted of sexually abusing young footballers during the 1980s.

Getting a little story through that Celtic's solicitors have sent out letters (and these are apparently in existence, as in provable) advising victims not to contact the authorities. More to come on it tomorrow when the full story is explained to me but it looks like a bit of a story brewing over it all.
Potential tampering with possible witnesses?

I checked online and couldn't find it .
Just so happens the front page of the daily record today is about abuse at Motherwell - well done hollocom!!
They will continue to name every other club that had a whiff of scandal, deny deflect and try whataboutery,there is a part of me saying hell mend you, you allowed celtic a free hand, your mouths were closed your eyes were shut all you could hear was big bad Rangers, in my eyes i couldnt give an Airborne copulation about any Club that thought it would be a good idea to put the Boot in to us , while handing the whole of Scottish football to the Bheasts, to do so as they wish,my dearest wish is to see Parkhead looking like Cathkin Now

Let’s agree that keeping it out of court and paying an affordable amount of undisclosed compo is exactly what Lawwell and the Beasts want.

In fact I’d imagine this is what they’ve been trying to do behind the scenes since it first reared its many heads.

If they reach agreement with all the victims, they can then issue a public apology and their lackeys in the media will be at pains to stress how noble Celtic are to have righted the wrongs of previous Yahoo administrations.

In terms of satisfying the victims it may suffice, but they’ll have avoided the worst ravages of what is surely one of the biggest if not the biggest scandals in British sporting history.
They as a club have systematically stamped all over thr victims feelings, with their deflection and denial. The player in question was always going to be payed out. I'd say this would reinforce the victims resolve even more now, that payment and admission of guilt will be a slap in the face again for them.

BobbyShearer said:

That's just it, they haven't.

Because this boy played for Celtic, and McCafferty was an employee of Celtic at the time, they knew this was one they couldn't win. They're trying to be clever here.

These bastards will have to be dragged kicking and screaming through the courts before they finally say sorry and accept the Boys Club was part of Celtic.

scum to pay victims 100.000 for lives ruined and glasgow city council to pay part time cleaners the same going back ten years under equal pay.

in other news SNP prob up alex salmond bank account with more tax payers money up to £512,250
Im pretty sure no cleaner at GCC got 100k, weird post.

Figure is low though.

They as a club have systematically stamped all over thr victims feelings, with their deflection and denial. The player in question was always going to be payed out. I'd say this would reinforce the victims resolve even more now, that payment and admission of guilt will be a slap in the face again for them.

I hope you’re right, mate.

Back