Low block the biggest barrier to 55

AriseSirWalter

Official Ticketer
Today was another sign that we can come back from adversity showing that we have improved from last season but again we showed we struggle with teams who come and sit deep.

Kent will help when he gets fit again but he’s not the answer, we can’t rely solely on him to break down teams. I’ve said previously that we need to try be more expansive and get better at stretching teams.

We have a strong squad but probably not best suited to breaking teams down. So has to come from the players we have. As a matter of urgency I think the coaching staff really have to work on the positioning of the players.

We need;
  • The wide players to hug the touch line to create space.
  • The two attacking midfielders (should only be one sitting midfielder against these teams) occupying the half space in between the lines.
  • Defoe should start as he’s more of a poacher and better at passing in tight spaces.
  • Tav and Barasic should be our fullbacks as they’re the most comfortable attacking.
  • CHs should be Goldson and Helander or Edmundson as Katic isn’t comfortable defending when isolated. If Katic starts it should be for his set piece threat.
  • I’d say Arfield and Aribo should be the two CMs with Davis and Jack alternating as DCM. Arfield and Aribo are the best we have at supporting the attacker.
  • Wide men, Kent and Ojo as I believe once he settles Ojo will give a goal scoring threat.
When positioned in between their players and out wide we need to start passing at a faster tempo than we normally do. We need to resist the urge to cross it from deep or lump it into the box as that’s just laziness when we’re running out of ideas and bread and butter for defence.

If we can move it about quickly enough and exploit the gaps that open up then we’ll have less trouble against these teams and then they’ll be less likely to play that way if they know we’re likely to beat them.

I’m confident we’ll beat most who come and have a go. I think we’re in good shape to go to the piggery and take points my biggest concern is that our struggles against the low block is what will cost us.

Today was another sign that we can come back from adversity showing that we have improved from last season but again we showed we struggle with teams who come and sit deep.

Kent will help when he gets fit again but he’s not the answer, we can’t rely solely on him to break down teams. I’ve said previously that we need to try be more expansive and get better at stretching teams.

We have a strong squad but probably not best suited to breaking teams down. So has to come from the players we have. As a matter of urgency I think the coaching staff really have to work on the positioning of the players.

We need;
  • The two attacking midfielders (should only be one sitting midfielder against these teams) occupying the half space in between the lines.
  • Defoe should start as he’s more of a poacher and better at passing in tight spaces.
  • Tav and Barasic should be our fullbacks as they’re the most comfortable attacking.
  • CHs should be Goldson and Helander or Edmundson as Katic isn’t comfortable defending when isolated. If Katic starts it should be for his set piece threat.
  • I’d say Arfield and Aribo should be the two CMs with Davis and Jack alternating as DCM. Arfield and Aribo are the best we have at supporting the attacker.
  • Wide men, Kent and Ojo as I believe once he settles Ojo will give a goal scoring threat.
When positioned in between their players and out wide we need to start passing at a faster tempo than we normally do. We need to resist the urge to cross it from deep or lump it into the box as that’s just laziness when we’re running out of ideas and bread and butter for defence.

If we can move it about quickly enough and exploit the gaps that open up then we’ll have less trouble against these teams and then they’ll be less likely to play that way if they know we’re likely to beat them.

I’m confident we’ll beat most who come and have a go. I think we’re in good shape to go to the piggery and take points my biggest concern is that our struggles against the low block is what will cost us.

At the end of the day it’s about talking our chances when they present themselves.

Nothing else.

Few points.

When you play the 433 like we do, the only true wide players are the full backs. The top three are forwards and are required by the formation to be in the inside left and inside right channel, not the touchline.

Our formation doesn't have two attacking midfielders. If it did, and two of our top three were hugging the touchline - teams would play right through the middle of us.

if you played with two wingers you really need a midfield two, with someone inbth hole ,and you run the risk then if your CAM not being defensive enough to support the midfield two aswell as the striker. If you play too much of a defensive minded player in there, he's not enough of an attacking threat to support up top.

Arfield isn't a centre mid.

You don't start a defender because of their attacking threat.

As good as Defoe is, he should only really start when Morelos needs rested

However we desperately need to find a way to get both playing together.defoe is far, far too good to be benched.

Would help if our midfielders would actually take shots from outside the box at times , we are so predictable at times and teams know we will play it wide and then back the way or inside and try and play our way through ,we need to get goals from our midfielders and not rely on morelos all the time

Responses inline....

Few points.

When you play the 433 like we do, the only true wide players are the full backs. The top three are forwards and are required by the formation to be in the inside left and inside right channel, not the touchline.

Our formation doesn't have two attacking midfielders. If it did, and two of our top three were hugging the touchline - teams would play right through the middle of us.
I’m suggesting we tweak our formation to create more space, and change the two sitting midfielders to two attacking ones, with two proper wingers when playing defensive teams in order to generate space. In order to play through us they’d have to commit men forward meaning opening up space which is what we’re trying to do.

if you played with two wingers you really need a midfield two, with someone inbth hole ,and you run the risk then if your CAM not being defensive enough to support the midfield two aswell as the striker. If you play too much of a defensive minded player in there, he's not enough of an attacking threat to support up top.
You can play with wingers in a 433, we’d just need to ensure they stay wide when not on the ball unless they’re attacking a ball into the box.

Arfield isn't a centre mid.
When the opposition is defending deep he’d effectively be playing the same role as 4321 formation.

You don't start a defender because of their attacking threat.
Agreed, I would only play Katic when we’re likely to be defending a lot.

Playing against hammer throwers every week I’d be playing Katic since he’s the best in the air. Goldson should be dropped to let him know he’s not irreplaceable and maybe give him a wee kick in the arse but it won’t happen, the amount of times he comes out of defence thinking he’s Beckenbauer and launches it out the park is unbelievable

Try it another way. When playing against teams that sit deep do you agree that someone with the ability to take it in tight and score poacher’s goals would be valuable?

Morelos is the only ‘consistent’ functioning player mid to front.

He needs better support from those behind him and either side of him.

Removing Morelos isn’t the solution.

We need;

We need;

Good wee post. However. You missed out the way we are reffed during this low block, they fall and get free kick. We fall and the ref turns his back. They are terrified to get anything wrong against us. Quite simply the consistent pressure on them is ridiculous. Imo opposition teams, well most of them are consigned to the fact that they will get beat off that mhob & play us completely differently and play on our nerves. It’s shite.

Low blocks are horrendous to watch but I’ve got no complaints if it’s successful for the team. We got to the final in Manchester by playing defensive and hitting on the break. Frustrating, terrible to watch but I can’t complain I’m just delighted we found the answer today.

Good wee post. However. You missed out the way we are reffed during this low block, they fall and get free kick. We fall and the ref turns his back. They are terrified to get anything wrong against us. Quite simply the consistent pressure on them is ridiculous. Imo opposition teams, well most of them are consigned to the fact that they will get beat off that mhob & play is completely differently and play on our nerves. It’s shite.

I agree, the referees make it easier for teams playing this way by blowing constantly for every time they hit the deck. It’s a good point. Also the amount of time opposition goalkeepers waste really pisses me off.

Low blocks are horrendous to watch but I’ve got no complaints if it’s successful for the team. We got to the final in Manchester by playing defensive and hitting on the break. Frustrating, terrible to watch but I can’t complain I’m just delighted we found the answer today.

Agree, no complaints from me if that’s the way they want to set up. It’s on us to break them down.

The other mob have to unlock deep lying defences week in, week out.

We will reach 55 when we are better at it than them. Might be this season, or next, but it is coming.

They do. And they’re better at unlocking them than we are because they play more expansive football.

Hopefully it doesn’t come down to that though.

I will be honest and say that I found that European run a bit embarrassing.

If we aren't good enough to overcome shite like Livingston when they "low block" then we aren't good enough to be champions.
Teams have been coming to Ibrox for generations and playing this way.
Rangers teams still beat them.

Finding players who can go by people is much harder to find these days.

The answer to these type of games is to be expressive. Try somegunh different. Take a player on. Have a shot from outside the box.

We tend to over pass and cross the ball to much for me

If we aren't good enough to overcome shite like Livingston when they "low block" then we aren't good enough to be champions.
Teams have been coming to Ibrox for generations and playing this way.
Rangers teams still beat them.

Difference is nowadays players are fit enough to keep working hard for 90 mins. Plus they’re more organised making it difficult for attacking sides.

Plus we’re not as good as some of the great Rangers sides of the past but we’re all still desperate to win the league regardless.

Back