Points Target for next 3 Europa games

Live Forever

Official Ticketer
The way the fixture schedule has panned out is quite tough for us IMO. 2 aways in a row not ideal.

How many points we reckon we’ll need from the next 3 games? Away to YB, Porto then home to Porto.

Realistically I reckon we’ll need 4 if we’re to make it out the group. Feyenoord away afterwards is gonna be another tough fixture.

Obviously all depends how other results go but I think the aim is always win at home and try pick a point up away somewhere.

Thoughts?

6 points imo
We will surprise a few away from home I think.
Win at YB(not taking them lightly)
Lose to Porto
Beat Porto
That would be 9 points with 2 games still to play.

I was thinking today that the fixtures look so tough we should go all out for a win in Switzerland. I think that’s our most likely away result so sod parking the bus, balls out and go for the jugular.

I think you are correct, win there and nick a draw elsewhere. Should see us through.

How good are Porto really though? I mean it was hardly convincing for them last night. I'm not underestimating them, they have been a top European team for years but everyone has us written off already.

If we can get a win at YB then we're set up very well.

I'll say win there (won't be easy though), lose at Porto and then get something at home against them.

How good are Porto really though? I mean it was hardly convincing for them last night. I'm not underestimating them, they have been a top European team for years but everyone has us written off already.

Not sure how good they are but they were horsed out of the CL qualifiers by Krasnodar who then also got KO’d by Olympiakos.

I don’t think many teams will relish playing us in Europe. You can see a totally different style of play from us when not up against the stuffy backs to the wall, 11 thugs behind the ball we see weekly domestically.

And this European run of games Steven Gerrard and the team have put together since July 2018 isn’t down to luck. Teams won’t ragdoll us - home or away - the way Alfie does their backline. We aren’t just in it to make up the numbers in the group.

Proper group this, anyone can beat anyone. Will go down to the last game, a draw in Switzerland and beat Porto at home should be achievable

Think I’d be quite happy with two

Point away to young boys and point at home to Porto

Win our last game at home leaves us on 8, think that might be enough to qualify

Said it a few times now, I think 8 points gets us through in 2nd place so from the next 3 games i'd honestly bite your hand off for 2 points then if we beat Young Boys at Ibrox last game we likely go through.

Draw away to young boys
Beat away to Porto
Draw home to porto.

Would take us 5 points.

Then win home to young boys makes us 8 the. Hopefully take a point in Holland

Young Boys lost last night but I think they are a better team than Feyenoord. Champions of their country by a mile, beat Juventus in the Champions League last season, unlucky not to be back in it this season.
Although draws ended up costing us last year, I would bite your hand off for a point over there.

Porto had a nightmare in the Champions League qualifying this year but are regulars in the knockout stages over recent years. Again, a better team than Feyenoord. Win the home game and I'll be delighted, anything in the away game would be a bonus. Remember, we are the 4th seeds.

If we have 7 points after these games it would represent massive progress, and we would be in with a chance of qualifying.

People underestimating YB must watch out. I watched them in Champs League qualifiers this season and they look really quick up front and skillful. Going to be a very tough game.

Reactions: LD5
We can beat any of them. When we go to Porto the ground will be half empty but with thousands of Rangers fans. It's hardly going to be intimidating.

Other group games results will be almost as important. Ideally Porto will win all their games except against us as well as Feyenoord and YB drawing both times when they play each other. But I expect everyone will take points off everyone again this year.

I think we have an away win in us this year. Doing it against YB and then hoping they're out of contention going into the last game in the group when they play us at Ibrox would be idea.

A win for us and Porto in the next game would be fantastic.
This leaves us going into the double header with Porto where 3 points from any of these games should be enough to see us through, particularly as I think young boys and feyenoord will win a game each in their double header (although a draw in both would be my preference) and this would leave the door open for us and Porto to take something off them both in the last 2 games

Some people are underestimating YB’s I think. They’re a very good side and if we get anything in Switzerland in our next game it’ll be a phenomenal result.

Draw away to young boys
Beat away to Porto
Draw home to porto.

Would take us 5 points.

Then win home to young boys makes us 8 the. Hopefully take a point in Holland

Exactly my thinking.

Point V Young Boys Away
Point V Porto Home
Win V Young Boys Home

and we are going through with the 8 points in my opinion

The europa league might well be the lesser of the 2 European competitions but no one can say the groups aren't much more evenly balanced and competitive

Like @Coza said l, I'd love us to go all out for the win in Switzerland, get that and you'd have to fancy us strongly

3 points from that 9, 3 draws or a win somewhere. I would prefer to have 3 draws.

Then, take care of the Swiss at Ibrox - we should be able to if we can take care of last nights opponents.

9 points should be enough, normally.

I was at the game last night Porto v Young Boys. In the first half Young Boys offered absolutely nothing, had 2 chances going forward and most of the time were camped in their half. Second half they grew into the game but nothing that really troubled Porto. I really think we could beat them.

I wouldn't like to call it. Will porto or YB prioritise their leagues and play weaker sides? If all the teams go full strength,I would be happy to get at least a point away,but all out for 9 at home.

The fact that we start and end the campaign at home is good imo. We started away last season and the campaign fizzled out a bit in the last couple of games.

A result away to Young Boys and we're in business.

I said when the draw was made that there wasn't a game in the group we couldn't win, likewise a loss in any of them wouldn't be a shock.
Hopefully at least 4 points in the next 3 games then win the last home game

Porto should be a good side and I think people will underestimate Young Boys (who romped their league last season).

Porto also brought in about £80m in transfer fees during the summer.

And lost half their squad in the summer mate. I think the below poster could have a more realistic idea of where Porto are at this year.

:)
They lost 3/4 players that have went onto bigger clubs but have replaced them with over 50m euros of talent. They will be a really good side which we will be lucky to get anything over the 2 games.

YB will be similar opponents to last night, good technical team. Biggest concern is if they still play on the astroturf park I remember them from a few years ago.

I'd be delighted with 2 points from that run of fixtures. It really is a solid group. Wouldn't have looked amiss in the Champions League.

I believe we can take 3 points in Holland. Leaves it to head to head with Young Boys and Feyenoord. (Hopefully 2 draws). I think Porto win the group.

3 points would give us 6 points going into the last 2 games (Feyenoord away and Young boys at home), which hopefully should give us a chance.

It's a tough group.

Dream scenario would be 1 in Switzerland and 3 from the two clashes with Porto, the home game I am assuming.

That's 7 points with YBB at home to come.

if we can get between 4-6 we havbe a great chance , even a couple of draws and a defeat to porto isnt the worst thing, young boys at home and feyenoord away we maybe can surprise a few.

see no reason why we cant just go for it in the next game , nothing to lose

we have been excellent in europe this year, got to go over to switzerland with the tails up and go for the win, same with Porto Away, yes a good side but so are we and we are more than capable of winning the next two games, if we play like the first 60/70 minutes and take our chances we can beat anyone.

They lost 3/4 players that have went onto bigger clubs but have replaced them with over 50m euros of talent. They will be a really good side which we will be lucky to get anything over the 2 games.

YB will be similar opponents to last night, good technical team. Biggest concern is if they still play on the astroturf park I remember them from a few years ago.
I know that mate, but lets be honest, you can't sell a player for 25m and replace him with someone of the same quality for 5m and hit the ground running straight away.

Realistically YB and Porto will be looking at us and thinking they need 6points if they want to top the group. We came in as the bottom seeds and should be the cannon fodder team. They wont set up defensively, or play to draw, they will come at us.
Solid defense and use our speed on the counter and we have a chance against both. The pressure is on them in these ties. Feyenord were poor last night, but they arent as bad a team as their performance last night suggested, and i would back them to take points at home.
One thing is for sure, Feyenord never made us pay for the missed chances last night, we need to be more clinical.

My prediction
3pts V Young Boys Away
Point V Porto Home
Point V Young Boys Home

I think playing away in Europe might suit our style of play, with Alfie holding the ball up and fast transitions form defence to attack. We lost poor goals at crucial times last year but our defence looks a lot more solid.

On the negative side, we really do need to improve our chances to goals ratio. We're not going to get as many chances as we did last night again.

Good start, but how often have we set that in European competition group stages, only to be disappointed in the end.

last night was a huge 3pts, it was a must to win that game because worst case scenario after 3 games we will be 3 pts off the qualifying positions with the majority of away games done and dusted.

last nights losers in the group now have the added pressure of staying in the mix by winning games already. if we can get to 6 pts with 3 games done then we will be in a very strong position.

it is a huge ask though to get a win in one of the next two games but we might as well go for it though. draws between the other teams in the next two match days would help us a lot.

Back