The Dutch version of Chris Sutton says Rangers were "hopeless"

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Rangers have been labelled ‘hopeless’ by former Dutch player turned TV pundit Johan Derksen, despite beating Feyenoord in the Europa League.
Steven Gerrard this week revealed he would use the opinions of the Dutch before the opening game in the group to fire up his players and they responded with a deserved 1-0 win.

But that performance failed to impress one of Holland’s most famous football pundits.

Derksen, a journeyman player for five Dutch clubs, before becoming a controversial presenter in the media, reckoned Feyenoord and Rangers were as bad as each other.
He said: “Feyenoord were hopeless, but the sad thing was Rangers were hopeless too.
“The atmosphere at Ibrox was very intimidating and Feyenoord allowed themselves to be scared of the atmosphere.

“If you can’t deal with pressure then you have no chance against Rangers. Feyenoord were overwhelmed physically.
“Rangers can’t play football, but they are physical.
The players of Rangers had a passion when they went on the park that you just don’t see in Dutch football. I don’t think Feyenoord won a tackle in the first half.

“And if you don’t do that, you fail.”

I assume he's not a feyenoord fan? It's the old the team you were playing against is crap and you couldn't beat them pish we get here.

It's probably his way of slagging Feyenoord even more.

They lost, and it wasn't a good team who beat them.

The kind of stuff Sutton, Stewart and co trotted out last season when we lost to Moscow.

It is hyperbole.

But I can see what he's getting at.

On one hand we could have won 4-0 or more.

But on the other our style of play is somewhat limited. During the game I couldn't help think back to previous eras where our pressure on teams was more relentless and there was more variety and flair in our play.

I suppose it's an upwards slope. We are a europa league team right now. In the future when we become a champions league team again I expect to see the sort of flair and style we all saw in the past on some infamous european nights.

The state of the lady's front bottom. He'd fit right in with the pish stained 'journalists' over here
pic1.jpg

so he never played for a big team then? probably has no idea what top level football is

unless one of those 5 teams were "big" in those days, not exactly got the best Dutch football knowledge other than the top teams

We should’ve been 3-0 up half-time.

But after that I agree with him, we were absolutely hopeless 2nd half.

Thankfully they were worse.

What is this p1sh ? we played some nice football and cut through them, they had more yellow cards than us and there wasnt one bad tackle in the game.

Absolute bullshit

Even the Dutch have their own version of "Mutton". Stir it up all you like, we were the better team.

How could we have been hopeless in the 2nd half when we created numerous chances in the 2nd half and kept a clean sheet ? that's hardly hopeless is it ?
We played the final 30 minutes continuously giving the ball back to a very poor Feyenoord side.

I'm not questioning the result. The bare result was excellent.

Anyone who didn't watch the game will look at the result, '1-0 Rangers' and think - fine result.

But if there's anyone who thinks our performance in the 2nd half was good, then I'd challenge you to watch it back.

Our touch, our passing, our finishing was very poor after the break and I was sitting there watching the game thinking it was only a matter of time before they scored.

Steven Gerrard pretty much said the same thing in the post-match interview.

Latest posts

Back