Gazza v Gerrard

Admittedly the thick as pig shit comment isn't nice and could certainly have been worded better, so I hold my hands up for that. Sometimes I comment first and then think after.

Was more talking about the mentally weak comment.

Considering his well know battles its a pathetic comment to make imo.

Not as much as Gerrard, granted, but enough to know that I'm not just imagining things or basing it off nothing.

Gerrard was a more complete player for me, and certainly a more dependable and consistent one. Nobody else will change my mind, but Gascoigne was a genius, albeit a flawed one.

Gazza had issues off the park, does that make him flawed?

On the park he was as near flawless as I've ever witnessed.

Gazza was a genius, like all geniuses he was flawed, in terms of raw talent there is no contest, but the others had better careers, go figure.

Was more talking about the mentally weak comment.

Considering his well know battles its a pathetic comment to make imo.

Nobody is mentally weak for the fun of it. I struggle on the mental side of things myself in some aspects, or have done, as do many people in every walk of life. If someone said I had been mentally weak in the past I wouldn't be at all offended. Gascoigne made a lot of bad choices in his career which held him back, and he has to hold himself responsible for those to a large degree, no matter what the reasons.

The game changed a lot from the early 90s when Gazza was at his peak, to the mid 00s when those 3 were at their peak.

Gazza had more talent than all of them, but could he have coped with the demands of the faster game? Would he have looked after himself enough to play at the top level?

My thoughts as well.

For sheer magical god given ability, Gazza is the winner by a mile. However, in terms of athleticism, fitness, longevity at the top level, ability to change games with winners, european trophies, etc., you’d have to say that Gerrard has been the overall winner taking all things into account.

However, Gazza was still a genius. My goodness, how lucky have we been to have both employed at our club, albeit different capacities.

In your humble opinion.

Stop getting so triggered every time I post kid.

Kid? You’re not old enough to have watched Gazza play and you use phrases like “get off my dick” and “stop getting triggered”. Only one of us that still has a paper round and it isn’t me pal.

Seems I’m not alone either. What a horrible insensitive remark to make about a club legend, let alone one with his personal struggles.

Thats the equivilant of a Rangers and Hearts fan saying Ferguson was better than Lennon and a Celtic and a hibs fan saying Lennon was better than ferguson (kind of, dont @ me :))) so your work mates are probably a poor representation.

My 50p if i had to pick Gazza or Gerrard in my team - it’s Gazza all day.

And he had a double leg break to recover from in Italy and still was world class afterward,so how good would he have been with a clean lifestyle and no leg breaks.I remember when he signed could not believe it and what s joy to behold witnessing he play

Put it this way, for all of his skill and ability, can you imagine a prime Gazza playing right-back, defensive midfield, right wing, left midfield and attacking midfielder as Gerrard did for Liverpool and England?! And he didn't just play those positions. Wherever you put him in a Liverpool shirt he was often the best player on the pitch. Could Gerrard score the goal Gascoigne scored against Scotland in Euro 96? Probably not. That was genius. Although Colin Hendry was pish.

Kid? You’re not old enough to have watched Gazza play and you use phrases like “get off my dick” and “stop getting triggered”. Only one of us that still has a paper round and it isn’t me pal.

Seems I’m not alone either. What a horrible insensitive remark to make about a club legend, let alone one with his personal struggles.

Why is it insensitive? It's one humble person's opinion, and it's not like Paul Gascoigne himself reads the comments here and could possibly be offended by it.

Forgetting about Gerrard for a moment, the only point I'm making is that Gazza didn't make the most out of his talent or his career because he didn't have his shit together anything like often enough.

Put it this way, for all of his skill and ability, can you imagine a prime Gazza playing right-back, defensive midfield, right wing, left midfield and attacking midfielder as Gerrard did for Liverpool and England?! And he didn't just play those positions. Wherever you put him in a Liverpool shirt he was often the best player on the pitch. Could Gerrard score the goal Gascoigne scored against Scotland in Euro 96? Probably not. That was genius. Although Colin Hendry was pish.
How many semi finals did Gerrard play in at international level? In a far superior team?

Gazza had issues off the park, does that make him flawed?

On the park he was as near flawless as I've ever witnessed.

Mentally flawed, yes. Does that make him a worse human being because he was flawed and mentally not as strong as he could have been? Absolutely not.

How many semi finals did Gerrard play in at international level? In a far superior team?

England had individuals but were dog shite as a team. Their young side that actually play together for each other now would probably batter the one that had the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney and Terry in it.

Two totally different players. Gazza probably had the better natural talent but Gerrard was at the top of his game for many a year.

The game changed a lot from the early 90s when Gazza was at his peak, to the mid 00s when those 3 were at their peak.

Gazza had more talent than all of them, but could he have coped with the demands of the faster game? Would he have looked after himself enough to play at the top level?
You have just asked the big question which has engulfed football for generations. Alas no one knows. Opinions. Not just about Gazza but for all the greats of yesteryear.

Are his stats misleading then? I'm not saying stats are everything. But they do count for something. Gazza only scored one goal every 6 games for England almost. That's a very average record for someone that was used as an attacking midfielder. He also didn't have a great record for Lazio, Middlesborough and Everton either. Maybe I simply didn't see enough of him, not with my own eyes, to appreciate him as much as most seem to here. But I'd be interested to see what others from outside of Rangers would say in regards to this Gerrard/Gascoigne debate.

I hate the way people talk about the 90’s as if it was a bygone era of kick and rush, leather footballs with laces in them and referees in dinner jackets.

Gazza would have been a superstar in today’s game, just as he was back in the olden days of 20 years ago.

Or maybe I should just accept that I’m old. :(

Both players who could drag a team singlehanded up by the bootstraps to win a game. Both players who controlled a game and stood out a mile.

But in terms of pure genius and ‘doing the unexpected’, I’d have Gazza ahead of Gerrard’s athleticism - just.

To be honest, I’m not buying “mentally weak” either. Yes, like a lot of ‘genius’ players he’s got his issues. George Best and Maradona to name 2! But to come back from a very serious injury to have the career he did, that took more than guts and determination.

A total genius. A flawed one. But OUR genius.

Gazza is the most naturally talented footballer England produced in the last 50 years imo. He could do things in a match that Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes etc couldn't even attempt to do in training.

If Gazza had been a model pro, who trained and lived his life like an athlete, he would have been up there as one of the world's greatest midfielders of all time.

Gazza is better did he achieve what he could have in his career probably not but he was a fantastic footballer he was a one off a genius of the game and they don't come along too often.

Gazza is the most naturally talented footballer England produced in the last 50 years imo. He could do things in a match that Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes etc couldn't even attempt to do in training.

If Gazza had been a model pro, who trained and lived his life like an athlete, he would have been up there as one of the world's greatest midfielders of all time.

And all of them did things in their careers that Gascoigne didn't and never got close to on the flip side to that.

If Gazza has signed for Ferguson at United rather than Tottenham he might well gone on to have become the greatest player of all time (and we would’ve never seen him).
He thrived under Walter Smith (and Venebals) as father figures, but I think Fergie might have just kept him on the straight and narrow the way he really needed.

On pure footballing ability neither Gerrard, Lampard or Scholes could lace Gazzas boots. The 3 of them were about perspiration Gazza was all about inspiration.

On pure footballing ability neither Gerrard, Lampard or Scholes could lace Gazzas boots. The 3 of them were about perspiration Gazza was all about inspiration.

Lmao. If you think Gerrard didn't inspire Liverpool time after time you're on a different fucking planet to myself.

Have some of you been on the sauce or what?! Fucking ridiculous comments.

Back