Chances v Porto?

MosesMcNeil99

People writing this off but I really think we have a decent chance. We generally set up well on the counter, feyenoord have just beaten them and I was looking at their fixtures - they play Famalicao in a top of the league clash the Sunday after the game so surely they could rest players. Thoughts?

Tough one they are very strong at home, they haven’t dropped points in the league since first game of the season, won 2-0 away at Benfica too. We’re capable of getting a result, cant have any passengers or individual errors like young boys game if we’re to get anything though.

Still have hope but wouldn’t be surprised if similar mistakes or other mistakes cost us it’s the difference at that level not taken your chances or making mistakes like our captain did nearly 2 week ago.

Didn’t think we’d get a point away to Valencia last year and we’re a better team now. Haven’t really thought about Porto much. Still pissed off with the last game. Should never have lost that.

They have the potential to scud us by 3 or 4 goals if they're on form, it would be no shame on our part, although this place would be unbearable.

On paper this is our hardest match since Man United Away in 2010. Porto are very often a top 15 Uefa club coefficent side.

With Morelos up front we always have a chance. It doesn’t matter who we play if he is on his game there’s a chance he will rag doll the centre backs he’s up against.

It’s likely we lose, maybe a 3-1 or 2-0 scoreline I think would be most likely but with a bit of luck and a great performance we can get a point.

If we take anything we will have done very very well.

Think this is a bridge to far for our inexperienced squad in europe.

Just give 100% is all we can ask...... I.e dont %^*& up n give on a plate like last euro match.

WE won't win if we don't play to our strengths,but if we play do play to our strengths I honestly believe we can more than match any team in that group, don't forget WATP

The bookies makes us a 6/1 chance which means they think we have a 14% chance of winning .We are surely worth a bet at that price

Hard to predict games in this group based on league form, every team is among the two or three best in their league by a distance.

It's very difficult to predict to be honest. We certainly have a group of players capable of beating Porto - even at their home ground. At the same time we are very capable of winning we're very capable of making an arse of it as well.

We need the players to come out with the right attitude. We need the gaffer to get the formation and team selection right and if it's not, changing it quickly. Otherwise we just run the risk of losing the game like we did against Young Boys. This attitude of sitting their the whole game not in front say "it'll be alright, no need to panic" up until the 90th minute won't do.

We can win but Porto are a good team. We're going to need to be at our best and a point is probably a good target for now.

A draw would be a terrific result, no point kidding ourselves on otherwise.

This will be our hardest euro game since we have been back playing in the competition imo.

Imo, and I know this sounds daft, I'm more confident with European games than I've ever been before. We are a very good Europa League level side imo. I don't fear anyone in the Europa and I include Manchester United in that.

We are capable of a good performance but a very good Europa League side would have beaten Young Boys with ease!

Same as the Young Boys game I'd be happy with a point, but I'm sure we could sucker punch them and steal a victory. If they're not leading by the 60-70 minute mark then their supporters will hopefully get on their back.

We're all on 3 points in the group, so all to play for. We've all beaten each other!

A draw would be a fantastic result, If we defend the way we did against YB then we will get hammered. simple as that. Porto away is a huge step up from YB away.

side note , i reckon big niko will play to counter big maregas strength and decent pace

i would be confident of a draw , need to retain possession a lot better than we did in bern tho

We now have experienced internationals in our squad so I would agree with OP that we can take something from the game in Portugal.

We are really well suited to playing away in Europe, Tav single handedly cost us 3 points in Bern but I'm sure he will learn from that and we can count on him not being that daft again. We are a good counter attacking team when we press that wee bit higher, if we sit back we don't have the personnel to stop an onslaught

Need a stronger right hand side performance or forget it, and that’s not just Tav. I think a draw at best but likely a couple of goal defeat.

People writing this off but I really think we have a decent chance. We generally set up well on the counter, feyenoord have just beaten them and I was looking at their fixtures - they play Famalicao in a top of the league clash the Sunday after the game so surely they could rest players. Thoughts?
After the YB game, we were beaten, out, waste of time travelling, we’d be lucky to pick up another two points from the group matches, we’d lost to the easiest of the group teams and both Porto and Feyenoord were going to take six points each from them.
I can only guess what’s been posted so far, till I read it, but my FF experience tells me it’s going to be a bit different now.

Back