Morelos Sub?

Morelos was poor today at least by his standards but he was at least involved in the game.

He is also by far our most most likely player to score from nothing (we weren’t creating)

Why take him off?

Gerrards subs are accross the board absolutely stinking.

actually thought his subs today were the ones I would have made. He was doing well yes but was starting to get a bit wound up so maybe that’s came into it

How did Arfield last as long as he did, How did Ojo last as long as he did. Why take of Morelos? Is it because he got booked?

Not sure what game SG was watching but I would not have allowed Ojo to come out for the second half. Arfield would have been told he has 10 mins after HT to get involved as his head was 7 hours behind in Canada time. And I would NEVER EVER take Morelos of when needing a goal and against a Hearts defence thats physically strong.

He was getting frustrated, when he gets frustrated he ends up getting sent off.

This in spades. Coupled with clancy loving to card him. It was a sensible longer term decision especially with Defoe to come on.

Morelos was poor today at least by his standards but he was at least involved in the game.

He is also by far our most most likely player to score from nothing (we weren’t creating)

Why take him off?

Gerrards subs are accross the board absolutely stinking.
You are joking mate.
Clancy had just booked him, and the sensible thing was to take him off before Clancy had a second bite.

Ojo needs dropped from whole squad,he's like a man down when he plays. saying that most of the team were poor the day,That's 4 times now I count we've been top to them shite it

Not buying this booking thing.

surely to Christ you can call him over and have a word FFS.

it was clear the way that game was going there was no service for Defoe.

Yeah sorry but no one can convince me that was the right move.

For Defoe to be effective we had to be creating chances, we’d created %^*& all all day, and it was hardly surprising that we looked even less likely to score with him up front in place of Morelos. Seemed like a ridiculous change to me, and I don’t think Morelos being booked late on is really grounds for substitution either.

He was heading towards a red card but one thing I would say about the Morelos/Defoe sub, it rarely works when we are chasing a goal. Seems more effective when we are 2 or 3 up and the game is done.

Defoe should have been put on at the same time as Stewart and our play should have been tweeked.

We reverted to the "give it to Morelos and hope for the best" mode from last season in the second half

I dont think our manager realises he can actually play with two strikers when we need a goal.

His use of subs is dreadful tbh and will hold him back from being a top manager

We should have brought Defoe on with Morelos to try and win the game, I don’t think Defoe touched the ball which highlights how poor we were

Their player was shouting and bawling aggressively at Ojo after fouling him. No booking.
Clearly this type of booking seems to rely totally on the subjective discretion of a referee.
Clancy will see the actions of Morelos in a different light to those of other players and whilst this is a disgrace it is nonetheless something we as a club have to live with, and Gerrard made a shrewd decision not to leave Alfie to further 'discretionary actions' from Clancy.

Before he got sent off probably and to put the top scorer in the league on.

Many things were wrong today, that wasn't one of them.
Defoe is a fantastic finisher but requires chances to be created for him to score , Alfie can create and score chances on his own . We barely created a chance from open play all day . One of the woeful midfield could have made way for Defoe ?

Clearly this type of booking seems to rely totally on the subjective discretion of a referee.
Clancy will see the actions of Morelos in a different light to those of other players and whilst this is a disgrace it is nonetheless something we as a club have to live with, and Gerrard made a shrewd decision not to leave Alfie to further 'discretionary actions' from Clancy.
Absolutely.

Also, Clare's challenge on Borna - if it was Jack that'd have been a red, wouldn't it?

Certainly should have been a second booking.

How was Ikpeazu not booked?

*not blaming clancy for the result, just discussing the disparity in refereeing our team compared to others.

Absolutely.

Also, Clare's challenge on Borna - if it was Jack that'd have been a red, wouldn't it?

Certainly should have been a second booking.

How was Ikpeazu not booked?

*not blaming clancy for the result, just discussing the disparity in refereeing our team compared to others.
Agree, I was surprised that Clancy never gave him that second yellow.
Think of Alfie making that late tackle after he had just been booked.
We all of us know how Clancy would have reacted and that is just totally wrong.

I take the point about the ref it would be gamble as a 2nd card is more than possible and if alfie gets sent off people say manager should have taken him off... but i find it very very difficult to understand why if you are playing shite and today was utter shite and our midfield is doing sfa .... you have 2 right good forwards why not play them together and just fire it back to front.

I dont get it seems so obvious and while i adore the manager and think hes magic the whole play like Liverpool or modern style tactics is starting to annoy me ever so slightly. Sometimes you need to deal with the situation you are in and either fight like feck to win the scrap in the middle of the park or just put 2 forwards on and play back to front.

Won't blame the manager on this occasion.You could see him getting more and more wound up

That is where a captain should step in and give him a talking to. Taking Morelos off hampered us getting forward in sustained periods nothing was sticking.

Same with Ojo captains of the past would have made him know he was in for a fight and to get the finger out. The only one that seems to speak is shagger and unfortunately that is when us has lost it and jumping about like a mad man.

I take the point about the ref it would be gamble as a 2nd card is more than possible and if alfie gets sent off people say manager should have taken him off... but i find it very very difficult to understand why if you are playing shite and today was utter shite and our midfield is doing sfa .... you have 2 right good forwards why not play them together and just fire it back to front.

I dont get it seems so obvious and while i adore the manager and think hes magic the whole play like Liverpool or modern style tactics is starting to annoy me ever so slightly. Sometimes you need to deal with the situation you are in and either fight like feck to win the scrap in the middle of the park or just put 2 forwards on and play back to front.
Ping it back to front to 2 centre forwards who are under 5'8"?

Right...

th

That is where a captain should step in and give him a talking to. Taking Morelos off hampered us getting forward in sustained periods nothing was sticking.

Same with Ojo captains of the past would have made him know he was in for a fight and to get the finger out. The only one that seems to speak is shagger and unfortunately that is when us has lost it and jumping about like a mad man.

Is that the same McGregor that got booked for jumping about like a mad man.

Clare or whatever his name is showed the same petulant outburst as Morelos near the end and no booking

Defoe is a fantastic finisher but requires chances to be created for him to score , Alfie can create and score chances on his own . We barely created a chance from open play all day . One of the woeful midfield could have made way for Defoe ?

Morelos would've been off the pitch the next time he got within 5 yards of a hearts player then he's suspended, it was the right call.

Is that the same McGregor that got booked for jumping about like a mad man.

Yes, which I alluded to in my post. He loses it, it just needs a leader to go up and have a proper word with them. If they don't think the player is taking it in he let's the bench know. The captain has to be the onfield link to the manager.

Back