Scott Arfield

Fail to see what he offers. Not a midfielder, not a wide man, absolutely zero pace, can't beat a man.

Needs dropped.

I don't see what he offers either most of the time he struggles in every role for us and he is most certainly not a forward player.

Lacks pace, creativity, can't pass, and never seems to be able to drive us forward or take a shot at goal. He's our most overrated player and Gerrard has a soft spot for him.

He is genuinely depressing to watch in that off the striker position.

Zero dynamism or magic. Just seems to be running through treacle, eventually losing the ball or playing a wayward pass. You just don't fancy him to do anything.

I know it’s not overly useful to compare with the last team that won the league

But...

What we get from Arfield vs Naismith in (IMO) similar roles is massive. He’s not up to it and we can do better.

Shit touch for his attempt for a penalty, Morelos should have rifled that in though

He should have played the ball in the front of Afredo, and he would have had a angled shot at goal.Instead of playing with Canada and turning out good performances seemingly.
He should try playing ih a blue jersey, as this season he's been terrible.Time to rest him.imo.

I have always thought, what exactly is his position.
I dont think he is a player who will contribute to winning the league.

Suits playing in a battling team with little pressure and at ease with any role given to him and that was at Burnley. He honestly doesn't any of the attributes required in the long run to be a successful midfielder for us and he can make all the late runs into the box and score the odd goal but sorry that's not enough for us at a club like ours.

We should be looking at alternatives and serious upgrades going forward infact if the funds are there we should be bringing in someone who can make runs, take on players, show creativity, and give us a serious goal threat.

If people have read my posts over the past year or so, I've been a consistent critic of the guy this and last season. Simply not good enough and we are like a man down.

Gerrard's blind spot for the guy is astoundingly concerning.

Enough is enough.

People need to forget about a few goals in dead rubber games at the end of the season and look at his overall level of performance in a Rangers jersey since he joined. Simply not good enough.

Last edited:
Arfield was pretry good to excellent last season and offered goals and support to the front man.

This season that has mostly stopped
Why is that?

I

I’m sick and tired of hearing how he needs a rest. He was the same the majority of last season as well, constantly looks absolutely fucked.

So much of our play breaks down with him, wether that be a poor touch, poor pass or weak shot. He always seems to be behind the play.

He creates nowhere near enough, I had this argument countless times last season when the blame was getting thrown at Jack and the defensive midfielders. We need so much more from him.

That’s up there with one of the worst performances I’ve seen in a Rangers jersey. Absolutely bottled everything. How he lasted 75 minutes is beyond me.

Needs a spell on the bench.
Could you tell me what his function is in the team because I can't work it out, I just think he is not a good enough player for us.

Simply doesn't offer enough to be one of the front three.

No pace, poor first touch, often picks the wrong option. Doesn't look a goal threat.

For the money we're paying him, he's not delivering anywhere near enough.

Can’t disagree with that.

He’s the link between the middle and the front in the same way Naismith used to be, but he’s not at that level I’m afraid and we really need a player who is if we want to win the title, IMO.

Arfield was pretry good to excellent last season and offered goals and support to the front man.

This season that has mostly stopped
Why is that?

I

A handful of games at best and most of his decent performances came during the split other than that it's been the same average/mediocre stuff.

There wasn't many positives in terms of performance on that battlefield sorry football park today.
We were awful today. Absolutely dreadful. But Arfield has been poor a number of times. More than most. This wasn't a one off for him. Needs dropped.

We were awful today. Absolutely dreadful. But Arfield has been poor a number of times. More than most. This wasn't a one off for him. Needs dropped.
I know but he hasn't stopped playing football and it's catching up with him. Not saying he shouldn't be put on bench tho.

You could go down to your local 5 aside pitches and pluck any player out and youd get more from them in what arfield is giving us. That goes for ojo too.

I'm tired of arfield getting a free pass due to international duty, mane played in a summer tournament and doesn't seem to have issues as an example.
The issue with arfield is he has a shocking first touch and if you play high up the field there is likely to be a defender on top of you. If played, he should be deeper in midfield where there is less opposition pressure on the ball. He doesn't offer enough go threat in the final third, he doesn't have the striking instinct of eg Stewart, Hastie. I'd rather he was in the midfield three and occasionally bursting forward, which is what aribo is supposed to do but lacks confidence.

Has been out of sorts all season due to his summer of International football and the same today.
Clearly needs a rest or else a club v country decision.

His performances last season were a bit of a hit and a miss, that and struggling with knocks/fitness.

A purple patch when the league was done and dusted in the split and back to poor performances this season.

If he plays it should be alongside Davis and Jack (Aribo and Kamara not setting the heather on fire either. Aribo has been shit domestically and Kamara has regressed this season).

Back