Greg docherty

What a fucking waste of money King has been.
I will withold my opinion of him until the end of the season. Not to mention, the gaffer said pre porto, hes picked up a muscle injury. It's a long hard season and i for one, think he will come to be a valuable player for us, once he is match sharp.

So difficult for Gerrard with players like Docherty. He needs to keep winning. There is virtually no room for dropped points and unfortunately the likes of Docherty can't develop and grow into the team for fear of that. Maybe he can get more game time in the cup competitions to force his way into the managers plans. God knows there's a vacancy for a goal scoring midfielder alright!

Think he's finished here sadly, Gerrard seems to pick certain players regardless of form, so hard for many to break in.

He should have been included in the squad before now given how poor three of our midfield have been of late.

Only now post match does the manager acknowledge where Improvements are needed yet it's been obvious since the Hamilton game even before it at times despite the goals amassed between Aberdeen & Hamilton .

Yes some players were missing through injury but pound for pound young Docherty could easily have been more effective than any one of those struggling or not contributing enough.

It's not as if they've filled a void or even met or enhanced the team tactics they've been devoid of even the basics at the critical time when it counts surely the manager can see the folly of those decisions by playing players who haven't shown or given enough over the last few weeks you can only get away with those inclusions for so long before it costs you if it hadn't already.

It really is time to freshen up the midfield with more impetus on creativity as Davis aside we've been Fuckin woeful the last few weeks including Europe.

Ryan Jack has been woeful ?

Nice boy and a Rangers man but he is nowhere near good enough to even make our squad at present never mind start. He played at East fife and that should of been his big chance but he was very poor.

Another case of the longer a player is out of the team the better player he becomes. I’ll trust the manager on this one.

Heard today ( at the game ) that he has had some sort of bust up with the management team.

Logically this would explain his absence and noticably he never gets a mention in any of the pressers.

Not true mate.

Not good enough sadly

How do we know that, any player no matter whom,can't prove himself unless he gets a run of games.
So would you say the same applies to Geo.Edmundson.i don't think so.I think that boy's got a future with us.
I don't think young Docherty has had a fair crack of the whip as yet.And still think the kid could make it if given the chance.

I do agree that apart from Jack & Davis others in midfield aren’t taking their chances of taking the other position in midfield.

I’m a big Arfield fan but he really looks as if he needs a good rest.

Davis and Jack are a level above the rest of our midfielders this season Grigo.

When both play they give us terrific control of games.

Davis and Jack are a level above the rest of our midfielders this season Grigo.

When both play they give us terrific control of games.

Absolutely MU.

They have been outstanding.

Really hope a couple of the others progress quickly because with Steven’s age & Ryan’s injuries we could do with taking the burden off of them over a long season.

I think young Doc should have been farmed out for another half-season to a club in Scotland like Hearts or Hibs, where he could have had the opportunity of kicking on at a club with a more demanding audience than Hamilton.
I certainly believe this should be considered in the latter half of the season.

I think Docherty will be away out on loan in January.

With the games weve got to play in the oncoming weeks, well need as many good honest players to stay and help us in our hours of need.
I still still think this kid would be a good player to have on the bench, as he's youhg fit and tenatious
and is chapping at the bit to play for the team.omo.

I do agree that apart from Jack & Davis others in midfield aren’t taking their chances of taking the other position in midfield.

I’m a big Arfield fan but he really looks as if he needs a good rest.

Ardield's looked slow and leggy this season, and offering very little to the team just now.So why not put young Doc on the bench, and use him for certain games if and when he's needed.
He's young fit and can run all day,:so who knows, we may need that type of player when the going gets tough in the winter months.imo.

Ardield's looked slow and leggy this season, and offering very little to the team just now.So why not put young Doc on the bench, and use him for certain games if and when he's needed.
He's young fit and can run all day,:so who knows, we may need that type of player when the going gets tough in the winter months.imo.

I absolutely agree with you in respect of us having more energy & running power in the midfield especially for away games against the physical hackers in the league, and I’m one of the minority who argued for McCrorie to be used more in these type of games.

I’m not seeing them in training so it’s hard to argue too strongly about Greg or others but I do agree with the principle of your point Gers11.

I’d not be against seeing what Docherty and King can bring.

Don’t feel either has had a really good crack at the whip.

However, Gerrard and the team see them every day. You’d have to assume they feel neither has done enough to dislodge Arfield.

Incidentally, I dont think Arfield has been anything like as bad as some would have you think, not unlike Tav. Don’t think either has been terrible. Maybe not playing at their peak, but neither has been terrible.

I’d not be against seeing what Docherty and King can bring.

Don’t feel either has had a really good crack at the whip.

However, Gerrard and the team see them every day. You’d have to assume they feel neither has done enough to dislodge Arfield.

Incidentally, I dont think Arfield has been anything like as bad as some would have you think, not unlike Tav. Don’t think either has been terrible. Maybe not playing at their peak, but neither has been terrible.

Agree on Arfield Arminius. He just seems to be lacking that extra yard / extra edge and maybe a couple of games rest may make all of the difference.

What chance was he given again ?
Struggled when we signed him.

Goes on loan to Shrewsbury, League 1. Shines but it is League 1.

Comes back and struggling to get a squad place.

FF saying time to give him a chance. Gerrard and coaching staff will see him in training and I'm happy to take their steer and decision.

Likely we'll only see him play if we have a severe injury crisis or more likely draw Broxburn or a second division outfit in the Scottish cup.

Another player who is becoming better the longer he is out.

A regular FF ‘affliction’.

We did ‘see’ them, in the shit-show on the plastic in the league cup. Neither impressed. It’s possible that King just wasn’t up to speed/fitness but Docherty should have no such problems. I’m inclined to think he’s just not good enough to deliver what Gerrard wants of him. Seems a decent lad, tries his best but doesn’t have the technical ability. I expected him to be moved on last August in all honesty and suspect it will happen in one of the next two windows. It’s probably best for the players career as well.

whilst I agree they were poor at east fife

our midfielders that are first pick have put in some woeful displays As well

It seems, on the basis of one indifferent performance against East Fife, that some feel able to declare a player's Rangers career over. Such a point of view is daft. This is especially true in view of the fact that, Docherty starred with Shrewsbury who play in a league comprised of teams many of which are far better than East Fife.

No one is suggesting that Docherty, a still raw young player, be given a start against the better teams - the title race is likely going to be too close and Rangers can't afford to gamble by not fielding their strongest team - therefore you can understand Gerrard's hesitancy to take risks. But surely in cup games, or in SPL games against lesser teams, that guys like Docherty could be given at least some playing minutes to show what they can do before declaring their Ibrox career over.

I haven’t commented on this thread. I usually do, concerning Greg, but the last time the thread got pulled, so I’m not sure what the point is?

One question: to all the posters commenting on Greg’s ability. I assume he’s playing for your second string. Has anyone actually seen him play this season (apart from his one first team run-out, at East Fife)?

Can anyone comment on how he’s looked in reserve games?

whilst I agree they were poor at east fife

our midfielders that are first pick have put in some woeful displays As well

Surely that should give an indication of where Docherty stands in the Manager's eyes? If our midfielders aren't playing well (debatable) and he still can't get a sniff, it's just possible SG doesn't rate him that highly.

I'm honestly surprised he wasn't loaned out until at least January with the midfielders we have and King's arrival as well. Always seemed an odd one, but assumed he'd be in about it more often.

Personally, what we have seen of Docherty, I'm not at all convinced he brings much to the table other than a bit of energetic huff and puff. Never really clear what he's there to do when he's on and he seems to do a lot of running without a great tangible contribution.

I haven’t commented on this thread. I usually do, concerning Greg, but the last time the thread got pulled, so I’m not sure what the point is?

One question: to all the posters commenting on Greg’s ability. I assume he’s playing for your second string. Has anyone actually seen him play this season (apart from his one first team run-out, at East Fife)?

He's had minimal game time mate, due to the fact most of the non 1st team games are age group matches.

He played against Ballymena in the last round of the Challenge Cup as an over age player and did ok, without being outstanding.

May well get a start at Solihull tomorrow night.

Struggled when we signed him.

Goes on loan to Shrewsbury, League 1. Shines but it is League 1.

Comes back and struggling to get a squad place.

FF saying time to give him a chance. Gerrard and coaching staff will see him in training and I'm happy to take their steer and decision.

Likely we'll only see him play if we have a severe injury crisis or more likely draw Broxburn or a second division outfit in the Scottish cup.

Another player who is becoming better the longer he is out.
He went on loan to prove himself and he couldn't have did much more.

He deserves a chance off the bench to show he can contribute, what's your problem? Especially if players are off form or jaded.

I guess the Rangers back room staff have and maybe that’s the reason he’s not getting a game, not a dig btw

Docherty isn’t anywhere near good enough to be a rangers play.
A poor aribo and arfield are still streets ahead of docherty

He deserves a chance off the bench to show he can contribute, what's your problem? Especially if players are off form or jaded.
Why would you want to break up a winning team/squad because in your opinion someone deserves a chance? If we take a chance and drop points we can't just kid on we won. The team winning is all that matters. If he or any player deserved to be in the squad I can guarantee they would be.

Why would you want to break up a winning team/squad because in your opinion someone deserves a chance? If we take a chance and drop points we can't just kid on we won. The team winning is all that matters. If he or any player deserved to be in the squad I can guarantee they would be.
He definitely doesn't deserve to start but he should be brought on if we are winning comfortably or brought on for his energy if we are needing a bit of drive. If he doesn't deliver after a fair crack then he should be sold

Doc is probably behind Jamie Barjonas in the pecking order as things stand at the moment.

Barjonas has been impressing Gerrard and the coaching staff this season.

I don't have a problem.

A jaded Arfield is rated above Docherty. I'm not sure what you're struggling with here? Out of a squad of 25 or so he's sitting at the back end.

I don't have a problem.

A jaded Arfield is rated above Docherty. I'm not sure what you're struggling with here? Out of a squad of 25 or so he's sitting at the back end.
I dont agree with that assessment it's that simple and yes Gerrard knows better than me etc etc but sometimes managers have blind spots or get things wrong.

Give him a chance from the bench and if he doesn't take it then punt him, sitting in reserves doesn't help anyone here

He's fucked it for himself and he knows that.

His mongo mates posting things on twitter wasn't exactly the brightest of ideas.

Couldn't have done much more?

Take away the rangers element here and tell me you'd be enthused at us signing a player who was player of the year for a team that finished 18th in league one.

Couldn't have done much more?

Take away the rangers element here and tell me you'd be enthused at us signing a player who was player of the year for a team that finished 18th in league one.
It's the situation he was in, he didn't want to go but instead of sulking he went on to be player of the year

Back