Online subscription service DAZN in running for UK Champions League Rights 2021-2024

mkgers

Report: DAZN in running for UK Champions League rights
Move would mark OTT company’s first in the British market.

• Posted: November 11 2019
  • By: Steven Impey
Getty Images
Global subscription streaming service DAZN is interested in securing rights to the Uefa Champions League, according to a report by the Daily Mail newspaper.
The over-the-top (OTT) media company is apparently in the running for rights to European soccer’s elite club competition from 2021 through 2024, a deal which would become the group’s first in the UK market.
Uefa closed its rights tender to its Champions League and Europa League competitions at 10.30am (GMT) on 11th November, with announcement expected shortly.
Among the contenders for the various rights packages on offer, UK pay-TV broadcaster Sky Sports and commercial broadcaster ITV have mounted challenges to regain the Champions League with current broadcast partner BT Sport seeking to retain its contract.
BT Sport secured the region’s first exclusive deal for Uefa’s top two club competitions from the start of the 2015/16 season, as part of a UK£897 million (US$1.18 billion) three-year agreement announced in November 2013.
The broadcaster then retained its rights to the Champions League for a further three years through to 2021, for a record UK£1.2 billion (US$1.5 billion).

If sky do win it back they need to improve their coverage. BTs has been refreshing, apart from Rob Mclean, Michael stewart and chris sutton obviously.

Totally different mate, they’ve forked out 365 million just for Canelo fights. Serious competition for sky and bt here

Does DAZN show them here in the UK?

It is all well saying they are big players in the sport rights market but it would be a risk if they enter the UK market with just CL and EL most other bigger event sports are already tied up

In other countries they have the rights for a load of sports

I use DAZN here in Canada and it is great value for the price, $100 for the year every EPL game, every CL game and same for the EL. Then I have every NFL game on Sunday along with the darts, boxing and tennis, I cancelled all my sports channels which were costing me $30 a month for this. The quality of playback is better than my cable box and only occasionally have I had any issues, main one being the LG app is absolute shite so I use AppleTV.

Live sports streaming 40 seconds behind live is a joke for folk that actually care about the score and have family friends at the match etc
Good point that mate. Also a pain in the arse when it comes to gambling, who also happen to be some of bigger sponsors of football on TV.

Another eleven sports style disaster

Nah mate - DAZN are absolutely massive and probably already challenging companies like SKy. Massive across the pond, on the continent and expanding into far eastern market now. They are the biggest company in boxing and have canelo alvarez on a $400 million deal, and have a $1 billion partnership with Eddie Hearn.

They piss all over Eleven Sports.

I've had it in Germany for years. To compare it to Eleven Sports is laughable.

10 quid a month for Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and Champions League. It also has SPFL Sky games and loads of other random leagues. Last season it had the EPL.

Then you have the boxing, UFC etc.

I can't understand why anyone would be against it.

They may well be in other countries where they will have rights to other football/sports as just like Eleven Sports

Eleven Sports was an amateurish outfit with nowhere near the money, backers, production quality, rights and market size that DAZN has.

I would be delighted if DAZN took over sports in this country. Cheap and gets you amazing content.

I pay $150 for it here in Canada. Really good service to be honest.

All EPL games, Champions and Europa League games, Serie A, all NFL games and other stuff like boxing, etc.

Have the app on my TV for it but easily cast on to a TV and I also get it on all my devices (phone, Ipad, laptop, etc).

Picture quality is excellent.

I was very wary of DAZN but have found it to be worth the money for sure.

My opinion is that most people accept that paying for one or two subscriptions is part of following your team. When you potentially have to fork out for 3 and 4 people will undoubtedly start to look at ways to do it cheaper with non-official sources. The lower the number the better for everyone.
We already do. Sky Sports and BT Sport for League games, BT Sport for Bet Fred Cup and Europa, Premier for Scottish Cup.

The more this carve up of all the big sports tournaments including football, rugby, golf and tennis continues to splinter into PPV stations the more people will be inclined to say fk 'em and go for dodgy streaming services instead, even if it means being cut off every so often.

Eleven Sports was an amateurish outfit with nowhere near the money, backers, production quality, rights and market size that DAZN has.

I would be delighted if DAZN took over sports in this country. Cheap and gets you amazing content.

As I said they may well be in other countries where they have rights to other content

Eleven Sports might not have finance but they do have other content in other countries they operate in

In the Uk they failed due the lack of content and subscribers and that could happen to DAZN

Maybe we will just have to wait and see if they do obtain rights and what else they can get as well

I have it here in Canada $20 month. Just wish it had SPFL and NHL save me forking out for another two subscriptions

It is all well saying they are big players in the sport rights market but it would be a risk if they enter the UK market with just CL and EL most other bigger event sports are already tied up

nothing in uk as all rights we’re already taken up. They’re all over Europe and US with rights for tons of sports they won’t care about losing money for a few years in UK.

And last I heard they were seriously struggling for subscribers.
yeah mate that’s why they put on KSI Logan Paul boxing match. Like anything it’ll take time to get the sub base up to start making money but they’ve billions behind them and they’re going no where

I've had it in Germany for years. To compare it to Eleven Sports is laughable.

10 quid a month for Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and Champions League. It also has SPFL Sky games and loads of other random leagues. Last season it had the EPL.

Then you have the boxing, UFC etc.

I can't understand wh⁴y anyone would be against it.
I wasn't comparing it i just have bad memories of 11 sports not even having an app or tv channel to watch the games on.

I had never even heard of this company until now, if they provide an easy way to watch on a smart tv then i would be happy.

Thw fact you get games in all those leagues for that price is excellent value.

nothing in uk as all rights we’re already taken up. They’re all over Europe and US with rights for tons of sports they won’t care about losing money for a few years in UK.

Thought that was the case and as I said they operate well outside the UK

Guess we just have to wait and see

The spfl should be looking at something like this

The shitey split between sky and bt is pish and its been clear for years all sky care about are the games against the scum

We're going down a route where we'll have service providers and content providers. Your set top box will essentially be a web enabled media box and PVR. You'll subscribe to each content provider directly and access them via your set top box.

The likes of Sky and BT won't bid for content rights themselves.

DAZN are big time. This won't be like eleven sports.
Within the next 10 years, they will take over the game in the UK. They've made huge strides throughout the world of late and will make major moves in the top American sports once the rights are up to grabs (they already have boxing).

I’ve mentioned the latency issue.

The old school methods are 40 second delays

Some of the new platforms now have that under 20

Once you have it under 10 you are in same league as Sky and gamblers / folk texting family at game are happier

DAZN may be the ones to reach it

2021 is a long time from now. They'd obviously follow similar moves to they have in the US. And, given they own the rights to Canelo and quite a lot of the US boxing market, it's obvious those fights would be on DAZN in the UK too. They'll take UFC off BT also. They can pick up La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A for peanuts and already you have a package lots of people will spend a tenner on.

Report: DAZN in running for UK Champions League rights
Move would mark OTT company’s first in the British market.

• Posted: November 11 2019
  • By: Steven Impey
Getty Images
Global subscription streaming service DAZN is interested in securing rights to the Uefa Champions League, according to a report by the Daily Mail newspaper.
The over-the-top (OTT) media company is apparently in the running for rights to European soccer’s elite club competition from 2021 through 2024, a deal which would become the group’s first in the UK market.
Uefa closed its rights tender to its Champions League and Europa League competitions at 10.30am (GMT) on 11th November, with announcement expected shortly.
Among the contenders for the various rights packages on offer, UK pay-TV broadcaster Sky Sports and commercial broadcaster ITV have mounted challenges to regain the Champions League with current broadcast partner BT Sport seeking to retain its contract.
BT Sport secured the region’s first exclusive deal for Uefa’s top two club competitions from the start of the 2015/16 season, as part of a UK£897 million (US$1.18 billion) three-year agreement announced in November 2013.
The broadcaster then retained its rights to the Champions League for a further three years through to 2021, for a record UK£1.2 billion (US$1.5 billion).
a659iz4.gif

DAZN are weird in that they're a British company yet the only people you ever hear talk about it are Canadians and Germans. I suppose they'll want to actually make people notice them in the uk and getting the CL would likely do that

2021 is a long time from now. They'd obviously follow similar moves to they have in the US. And, given they own the rights to Canelo and quite a lot of the US boxing market, it's obvious those fights would be on DAZN in the UK too. They'll take UFC off BT also. They can pick up La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A for peanuts and already you have a package lots of people will spend a tenner on.

Of course it is and as I said we maybe just wait and see

Back