Leeds target Rangers star Glen Kamara for £8m summer transfer after scouting mission

smittbox7

Leeds United boss Marcelo Bielsa is looking to strengthen his side and Rangers midfielder Glen Kamara is already on the club’s shortlist.

According to Football Insider, Leeds are monitoring Kamara’s situation and have already sent scouts to watch him during Rangers 2-0 Europa League win over Porto.
The Gers have been in fantastic form this season. They are currently level on points with league leaders Celtic in the Scottish Premiership and are also level on points with Young Boys who are top of Group G in the Europa League.

Kamara has put in some impressive performances, particularly in the Europa League, for boss Steven Gerrard this campaign and as a result the Liverpudlian is expecting several clubs to try and pry the midfielder away from Ibrox in Janaury.

The report states that while Leeds have not ruled out making an approach in the January window, they actually see the 24-year-old as a transfer target for next summer.
Rangers reportedly want more than £8million for Kamara, which would see them earn a significant profit on the player who only joined the club in January this year.
Kamara was in the process of running downhill contract with Dundee United last season before Rangers managed to sign the player for just £50,000.
The Finn is a product of Arsenal’s academy, but only managed to make one appearance for the Gunners before joining Dundee on a free transfer in 2017.

Glen Kamara only joined Rangers in January of this year for £50,000

Despite having not been at the club for long Kamara has already established himself as an important player in Rangers’ midfield alongside Steven Davis and Ryan Jack.
And due to his mobility and distribution it is clear to see why Bielsa would feel such a player could easily fit into his current side.
Kamara has already played 20 games this season, which takes his overall tally for the club to 36 appearances.

Glen Kamara has been in fantastic form this season.
But Rangers are not the only club who could end up losing a midfielder in the next window as Leeds star Kalvin Phillips is attracting a lot of attention from top-flight teams.
The 23-year-old is a key member of Bielsa’s side and has already been looked at by several Premier League clubs, including Manchester United.
However, Leeds have said that the player is not for sale and have already rejected a £27m bid for the midfielder last summer, after which Phillips was rewarded with a new five-year deal with the Yorkshire club.

If we can get £8m for a player who joined us for £50k only twelve months ago, then that is fantastic business.

Kamara is great, and he'll go on to be a brilliant footballer, but he's not irreplaceable and this is exactly what the transfer model is supposed to do.

I’d sell for £8-10m

Kamara is replaceable, Morelos isn’t

We have to accept model of the club is aspiring to be ‘Buy low sell high’

well £50k in, £10m out is outstanding business
Totally agree with this.
I dont think we will be offered 8-10 million for Kamara though.

Last edited:
I'd love to see us hang on to our best players beyond next summer, but we have to accept the financial bigger picture, especially considering higher value players that have cost us nothing.

I said the other day North of 6m would be great, however, if he keeps improving and polishing his game as well as competing in Europe and for Finland, we could see a bigger offer made and we should push for such.

We need to stop this "he's no worth that", we need to be c*nts and value our players the same as our scum neighbours do and maximise our income.

I’d sell for £8-10m

sounds like the bit out of trading places buy low sell high on the orange juice

He would actually fit into that Leeds team very well.

Whilst he is replaceable, i'd rather he didn't go till the summer. As Sunday showed, on form he can slot into the team seamlessly & give an excellent performance. Indeed some of our best performances this season have had him in the team

We're trying to build a settled squad. Just selling anyone and everyone then starting again is mental.

Everyone's got their price, I guess.

I think it's too early to say for the summer (as hypothetically speaking we could sell a player for £25m and bring in 5 more better than Kamara) but £8m in January will not get Leeds Kamara.

I’d sell for £8-10m

When you mentioned last week that you thought he would be one to leave in Jan I disagreed because I could not see us getting offers equal to his worth to us (as opposed to his worth in general).

If we are offered £8 million and can squeeze a little more or add clauses, he absolutely has to go. We need £10 million for the remainder of the season. He could well cover that and we can probably just about afford to cover the loss in the squad without seriously damaging the chances of a title.

As you say, it would be outstanding business to get so much after paying out so little and it is unfortunately the way we need to go.

We also need to start building a track record of getting decent fees and this would be a good start.

Thing that I can't get my head round is IF the £8 million offer is true posters in here think we should accept it .Transfers don't work that way that's a bid to raise our interest we then say no , they come back with say £10 million we again say no and then test the bidding clubs nerve and see where we end up .The club have Kamara on a long term contract we hold all the aces if they walk away it costs us nothing .Also its amazing how many clubs then come in when the original bidder drops out .

Don't foresee any significant departures in January. In fact, I don't see Kamara leaving any time soon unless we are offered silly money - and £8m is not silly money where he's concerned. Championship clubs can think that they can cherry-pick Rangers as if we were a League One club all they like.

It ain't happening.

We're not talking about selling everyone, we're talking about selling one player.

This is how Rangers becomes sustainable.

We're inevitably selling Alfie, mate. That's one major component down already, then possibly two in Kamara. We'll also likely receive interest in others in this current Rangers side, Borna and Jack, as example. We can't try to build a decent squad, then sell it.

I’d sell for £8-10m

I think 10 as well.If we could do that in the summer along with however many millions Morelos will bring in its business sense. My main hope for January now is we keep the squad intact.Not overly bothered in incomings would just be happy to keep all our 1st team regulars.

We're inevitably selling Alfie, mate. That's one major component down already, then possibly two in Kamara. We'll also likely receive interest in others in this current Rangers side, Borna and Jack, as example. We can't try to build a decent squad, then sell it.
I wouldn't describe Kamara as a key component tbh. He's only played in half of our games so far this season.

We buy Kamara for 50k, sell him for 8m, reinvest 4m on his replacement that has a higher ceiling and sell that guy for 20m. That's how it goes in theory. It's a bit bumpier in practice, but we should see a fairly minimal downturn in results by selling Kamara.

We're not talking about selling everyone, we're talking about selling one player.

This is how Rangers becomes sustainable.
This is true once you've started to win trophies. We are trying to win them. You don't sell as though you can run before you can walk.

It might be controversial but I reckon he has only had 4-5 stand out games so far for us. In many games he has played he has been average. Davis and jack are the two I wouldn’t want to lose

I’d sell for £8-10m

we need to be wary of undervaluing our players.

at the same, we don’t want to be unrealistic.

he’s an 8-10mil player. those looking for double fall into the unrealistic category.

also calling for double, encourages others to expect it to be reasonable (which It isn’t), leading to disappointment, when getting 8-10 mil for him is unbelievable business.

Back