Leeds target Rangers star Glen Kamara for £8m summer transfer after scouting mission

Winning the league is more important than doing good business. He will still command great money in the summer.

This is true once you've started to win trophies. We are trying to win them. You don't sell as though you can run before you can walk.
This argument doesn't really follow. We will always be trying to win trophies. That's what we do.

Selling Glenn Kamara would have a negligible effect on our ability to win trophies, because he would be replaced with a couple of million quids worth of player. That player will have a higher ceiling than Kamara.

If we can get £8m for a player who joined us for £50k only twelve months ago, then that is fantastic business.

Kamara is great, and he'll go on to be a brilliant footballer, but he's not irreplaceable and this is exactly what the transfer model is supposed to do.
Yes i agree but only in the summer

We cant afford to lose any players in January who are first team regulars

£8m gets your Waghorn in that league.
Exactly. And no harm to Martyn as I like him as an honest lad, but Glen Kamara is potentially far superior to Waghorn in his position. Leeds or whoever can come back when they get serious. Kamara is looking good at European level. That trumps the English second-tier any day and every day.

h4N4htY.gif

Kalvin Phillips is fucken class to be fair.

Is he over three times the value of an international footballer who has excelled at European level ?

Is he fúck.

I've no qualms with selling Kamara but we really need to stop selling ourselves short here.

McGinn went for £3m in his last year of his deal. Armstrong went for £7m in the last year of his deal.

Kamara has 4 years left on his.

Is he over three times the value of an international footballer who has excelled at European level ?

Is he fúck.

He is an excellent player.

And playing for a side who in theory could win promotion to a league that would offer 170 million income as opposed to a team who might make 20 million prize money this season probably does excel his value aye..

Remember it is very likely that he is going to be playing in the euros for Finland in the summer. That should add value on to him so I think it would be silly sell before then.

Yes i agree but only in the summer

We cant afford to lose any players in January who are first team regulars
Again, Kamara has only started in 50% of our games, and has 46% of the total minutes. I'm not sure he's a first team regular, he's more of a squad player.

We can adapt our shape and win comfortably without him. And he will be replaced. He has tended to shine in European games, and we will (presumably) have less of them after January.

Is he fúck.
For me Kamara could comfortably play in most if not all the teams outwith the top 6 in the EPL. 10 million is a relatively cheap price for that sort of player in that market imo.

This argument doesn't really follow. We will always be trying to win trophies. That's what we do.

Selling Glenn Kamara would have a negligible effect on our ability to win trophies, because he would be replaced with a couple of million quids worth of player. That player will have a higher ceiling than Kamara.
Sorry mate, I disagree with that. When Kamara is reminded that he doesn't have all day on the ball and moves it quickly as he did in the second half last week v Porto, you can see the potential he has. He takes the ball when he is tightly marked and can move it on. Granted, I'd like to see him be more physical but I'm sure that's what Stevie and his staff will be working on. The only way I can see him moving on quite quickly is for between £12m - £15m with a significant sell-on clause, AND, we have a ready made replacement.

He has the potential to be a shuffler par excellence.

Anyone heard which other teams were watching him? hopefully a bidding war starts in the summer

8 million would be a good fee for him. He's a good player but his lack of goal scoring ability or being a "midfield destroyer" will unfortunately hamper how much a club from Scotland can truly get for him

It all depends on how long the board are comfortable bridging the finance gap, if they are happy to do it until the summer then there is no reason to sell Kamara in Jan, he's young, still has a number of years on his contract and with the experience and exposure he'll get playing in European and International football his price should only go one way.

That said if the board do want to bring in some money from player sales Kamara is probably the best in terms of money he'd bring in and impact on the team, hopefully Aribo kicks on and makes the position his own if Kamara does go but I think it'll be in the summer when we see 2 or 3 players go.

He’s our best midfielder.

Sell him and that’s a massive dent in our title chances.

This season should be all about 55.

Selling our best assets can wait until summer.

I wouldn't be in such a rush to sell Kamara.

I think he shows signs of real quality, especially in Europe where his ability to keep hold of the ball and make space for himself is invaluable.

I think he's only going to get better and to be honest Leeds is a step down for him unless they finally reach the Premiership.

And if that's the case, they can afford more than £8m.

Really like Kamara and hope he stays till the end of the season and after he plays in the Euros for Finland. He plays a role for us no one else in the squad can and very few players in football are capable of. Then he will leave with my best wishes for hopefully 10 million plus a hefty sell on percentage. Boy has a big career ahead of him at a top level.

Nope never :D
What was the actual source of the story? I saw an article on FL72 last night but can't remember whether it was attributed to FI or the Express. If Kamara goes, and he might, I think it's fair to say that Elland Rd wont be his destination.

Sorry mate, I disagree with that. When Kamara is reminded that he doesn't have all day on the ball and moves it quickly as he did in the second half last week v Porto, you can see the potential he has. He takes the ball when he is tightly marked and can move it on. Granted, I'd like to see him be more physical but I'm sure that's what Stevie and his staff will be working on. The only way I can see him moving on quite quickly is for between £12m - £15m with a significant sell-on clause, AND, we have a ready made replacement.

He has the potential to be a shuffler par excellence.
But the only teams that play a high-pressing game against us are the European teams and Celtic. And we don't need Glen Kamara to beat Celtic, because Davis and Jack form the double-pivot that the rest of the team rotate around.

He has incredible potential, I completely agree. But he's 24 now, and it's fair to wonder how much of that he can realise in Scotland. Sometimes, you're better selling the player while he still has some upside left to a league where he will almost certainly fulfill it, rather than keeping him and waiting for development that will never come while he plays in a poorer league. Maybe the smart thing to do is to sell him with a percentage of the next fee. Especially if he's going to a now-fashionable team like Leeds.

And you can be sure that we will have a replacement ready. If we know there's interest in Kamara, the first thing we'll look at is how to replace him.

You're never getting £12m for Kamara. Not in a million years. You can simply buy better players with that kind of money.

Let's get real, nobody is paying £8m-£10m for Glen Kamara right now.

If he nails down a regular place and performs well in a successful full season for us then yes maybe.

We really, really should be able to sell a player like Kamara for 5 million plus and find a player capable of doing a comparable job in Scotland and even Europe for 2 million.

In order to grow we do need to on occasion flip players and move them on for a profit.

We can even afford to do that when going for a league title.

We have managed in the past to sell measurably better players than Kamara and still win league titles.

Yes, context attached etc but it is a perfectly logical business model for a football team.

It's all well and good saying we must win this league etc, why not do things to win this league.... build a better business model so we can also win the next....and then compete to make the CL when we get there...

If we can get £8m for a player who joined us for £50k only twelve months ago, then that is fantastic business.

Kamara is great, and he'll go on to be a brilliant footballer, but he's not irreplaceable and this is exactly what the transfer model is supposed to do.
We cannot afford to sell any of our better players for the next 18 months as we have a league to win if not this year then definitely next, this is a must and it’s more important than money

He's now a regular in the big games. But you argue he's a squad player?
Stick to to your spreadsheets, BB.
Was Brahim Hemdani a first team regular, or a squad player?

To my mind, he was a squad player that played in the bigger games.

Kamara isn't Hemdani, but it's a similar principle. You don't need to be a spreadsheet dork to work that one out, pal.

Essentially, that is the business model that we probably work on and with. Scan for talent, grow it and sell it on. Up until we get serious money from Europe. Fact of life in Scotland.

And naturally we don`t want to loose our most talented players. If someone really happens by with 8m, I would hazard a guess that the board and SG will speak with one another.

We are a selling club and £8 million would be good business, I would chance our arm and try for £10 M.
We have some very valuable assets at the club now Alfie, Tav, Barasic, Katic, Jack to name a few.

I’d sell for £8-10m

Kamara is replaceable, Morelos isn’t

We have to accept model of the club is aspiring to be ‘Buy low sell high’

well £50k in, £10m out is outstanding business
Exactly this.
If selling Kamara for this and a bit allows us to keep Morelos for another window or two, it’s “thanks Glen, wish you all the success you want.”

Why even sell in January, what’s the rush?

Keep him till the summer, it boosts our title chances and of we win 55 the chances are his value will only increase. I can’t see any sense in jumping at £8m in January.

I’d also like to see us start to play hardball. I feel every club we deal with does that to us whereas we’re a relative soft touch in the transfer market when we’re the selling club.

But the only teams that play a high-pressing game against us are the European teams and Celtic. And we don't need Glen Kamara to beat Celtic, because Davis and Jack form the double-pivot that the rest of the team rotate around.

He has incredible potential, I completely agree. But he's 24 now, and it's fair to wonder how much of that he can realise in Scotland. Sometimes, you're better selling the player while he still has some upside left to a league where he will almost certainly fulfill it, rather than keeping him and waiting for development that will never come while he plays in a poorer league. Maybe the smart thing to do is to sell him with a percentage of the next fee. Especially if he's going to a now-fashionable team like Leeds.

And you can be sure that we will have a replacement ready. If we know there's interest in Kamara, the first thing we'll look at is how to replace him.

You're never getting £12m for Kamara. Not in a million years. You can simply buy better players with that kind of money.
If the staff are doing their jobs correctly, and I'm certain they are, then every player in the squad will have potential replacements next to their names.

We shall see how much Kamara goes for.

Back