Tax Officials Blamed For Rangers Downfall – HMRC Mistake Wipes Millions From Ibrox Bill (The Times)

This is totally under the assumption this happens though. King has been on record saying that he’d like to bring back the oldco at one point when it became a viable option (which seems like now tbh). Seems logical though if we’re entitled to a good bit of compo that way and it gets rid of Ashley. From what I’ve read, BDO feel as if liquidation is incorrect, and therefore are holding onto the papers that finalise that process as a result of what’s happened. So King could technically do it if it’s all true, or at least that’s how it sounds! Unless there’s something I’m missing entirely (but I fucking hope there isn’t) :D
It just sounds too good to be true

It’s not new, it’s very very interesting and not negative

Can’t say more but will divulge if any admin is on

repeat not negative news
Rumours afoot that Murray was trying to recover some
I imagine King will go after this big time also hopefully someone has the guts to drag it all out..... David Murray time to redeem yourself a little go after them all the taxman every compliant person and the SFA.
Murray will see this as an opportunity to restore his legacy in the eyes of Rangers fans and I can see him and King working together to go after this big time!

Rumours afoot that Murray was trying to recover some

Murray will see this as an opportunity to restore his legacy in the eyes of Rangers fans and I can see him and King working together to go after this big time!

More chance of King working with Craig Whyte than SDM.

It just sounds too good to be true
It really does as that would be the ideal scenario imo. I just can’t see us taking any of this lying down and not getting anything out of it at all. There’s surely some avenues that can be taken if this doesn’t come to pass

King won’t go near Murray

Thats a very firm assertion

But if someone you think wronged you can actually get you a win later in life

You do the pragmatic thing and take the win

I have no knowledge of behind the scenes. Just looking at whats coming off the back of this.

How does this change folks views on SDM? He always said our debt was manageable.

I guess anyone who was a shareholder of oldco would have grounds to seek justice purely in a financial loss point of view as their investment was sunk by the HMRC

I really hope BDO and Murray really go in for the kill in this. I guess Dave King and his initial huge investment in Oldco will have a reason to get involved. What was his old shareholding worth?

one thing for sure this isn’t going away for a while yet

Yes....but the size and scale of the perceived Rangers tax bill was the threat to the Murray empire that HAD to be separated. He was FORCED to sell. When any Rangers debt was serviceable.

Imagine you or I had been to a doctor and told
that we had to amputate both feet or we were going to lose both legs later on. You then find out after several years that you were forced to cut off both feet when in actual fact there had been a mistake.... All you had was an ingrown toe nail on both feet that was easily treatable. We had both feet cut off for feck all. You missed out on feck knows what since then. Somebody pays for that. Somebody pays BIG for a 'mistake' like that !
d

David Murray's conglomerate was under scrutiny by HMRC at he time and RFC was front and centre.
Now, I am by no means going to justify him, or his actions but think on the following:

Why (or who) persuaded/forced Murray to sell RFC to Whyte?
Answer: LLoyds Bank via Donald Muir.

How does this change folks views on SDM? He always said our debt was manageable.

I guess anyone who was a shareholder of oldco would have grounds to seek justice purely in a financial loss point of view as their investment was sunk by the HMRC

I really hope BDO and Murray really go in for the kill in this. I guess Dave King and his initial huge investment in Oldco will have a reason to get involved. What was his old shareholding worth?

hes still a cock, and a major culprit

I'm aware that most of this will be oldco business but given how HMRC blocked a CVA with lies do we have a legal argument for compensation? Our turnover decreased by £30m as a result.

Unfortunately that remains a hypothetical turnover as far as RIFC are concerned. Our turnover has probably only ever increased.I really can’t see where we’d stand to gain anything at all financially.

King won’t go near Murray
As I said they may have to as main shareholders but it could also change their viewpoint and outlook on each other too. I don’t think for 1 second Murray would ever be welcomed back to Rangers in an official capacity but in a joint action against HMRC for Rangers OldCo.....yes I could see it!

If he sues HMRC for £100m and then donates it all to Rangers. Then he will move on my Chuntometer scale from Massive Chunt to just a wee Chunt!

d

David Murray's conglomerate was under scrutiny by HMRC at he time and RFC was front and centre.
Now, I am by no means going to justify him, or his actions but think on the following:

Why (or who) persuaded/forced Murray to sell RFC to Whyte?
Answer: LLoyds Bank via Donald Muir.
Yes....because of a bogus threat of a tax bill that would bring down his entire empire and see Lloyds mis out on repayment of what we owed them. I get that. But he was forced to sell and that tax bill threat meant he could get just £1 as a sale. The club, ground, players etc etc were worth what? A wee bit more than a quid..eh?

Murray ran up the debt with HBoS.

The banking crisis screwed him a bit. However, it doesnt excuse him. Lloyds took over HBoS and sh*t themselves at the amount of money MIH (including RFC) owed them.

When the news of a potential bill of £90m+ broke, Lloyds cacked their pants and told Murray, through Muir to sell RFC ASAP.

Remember Whyte wasn't the first stooge. There was that guy Ellis who couldn't provide funds. I've always said, if we find a link between Muir & Whyte we could sue them both destitue.

Let's hope so. If they do we should get behind them 100%

Ultimately his business empire had a detrimental impact on Rangers but I don’t think we can entirely blame him for that or the banking collapse. However, his ego got the better of him and nothing was quite enough for him hence all the bank debt and EBT nonsense. He sold the club to Whyte. Murray caused our troubles whilst others simply took advantage of them.

Last edited:
Ultimately his business empire had a detrimental impact on Rangers but I don’t think we can entirely blame him for that or the banking collapse. However, his ego got the better of him and nothing was quite enough for him hence all the bank debt and EBT nonsense. He sold the club to Whyte. Murray caused our troubles whilst others simply took advantage if them.

The banking crisis was forseeable. Murray was a risk taker and an egoist who thought he was smarter than everyone else.

I'm guessing I'm not alone in believing that we were the victim of a massive conspiracy to render Rangers ineffective as a challenger for the honours in Scottish football, if not to kill us off completely.
Remember first of all who exactly benefitted from it, and who willingly joined in believing they would get a slice of the action in the shape of crumbs from their master's table.
If you want to know who from the mhedia was in on it, watch how these latest revelations unfold and remember who were most vocal against us in 2012, those dismissing us out of hand based on what they maintained was our guilt.
Remember also those who sneered at us and denounced the club for our lack of "contrition".
Now watch those same people again to see those who seek to minimise or dismiss the importance (and implications) of this week's revelations, or alternatively observe them sit back and say absolutely nothing whereas before they just couldnt contain themselves from their outpourings of malice and prejudice on the subject.

Yes....because of a bogus threat of a tax bill that would bring down his entire empire and see Lloyds mis out on repayment of what we owed them. I get that. But he was forced to sell and that tax bill threat meant he could get just £1 as a sale. The club, ground, players etc etc were worth what? A wee bit more than a quid..eh?

Prior to the sale RFC had a debt of 18 million which according to all reports at the time was sustainable as they were reducing it year on year.
Who wanted the sale to go through and for what purposes?

Do you really think Lloyds Bank were struggling for their money?

Dirty deeds were done at high levels within banking and government levels aided and abetted by HMRC.

HMRC in Scotland = OPUS DEI!

Be in no doubt. It is historically poisoned to it's very core. Together with senior academics they created the perfect storm on the blogosphere - with the demise of Rangers being the sole intent.
& yet people were trying to say the constant misinformation & untruths from media circles weren't financially detrimental. It pretty much legitimised the whole charade.

Unfortunately that remains a hypothetical turnover as far as RIFC are concerned. Our turnover has probably only ever increased.I really can’t see where we’d stand to gain anything at all financially.

prize money, tv money, euro money, players walking away on a free, the redundancies of staff, not hypothetical it happened. We must have a case

Yes....but the size and scale of the perceived Rangers tax bill was the threat to the Murray empire that HAD to be separated. He was FORCED to sell. When any Rangers debt was serviceable.

Imagine you or I had been to a doctor and told
that we had to amputate both feet or we were going to lose both legs later on. You then find out after several years that you were forced to cut off both feet when in actual fact there had been a mistake.... All you had was an ingrown toe nail on both feet that was easily treatable. We had both feet cut off for feck all. You missed out on feck knows what since then. Somebody pays for that. Somebody pays BIG for a 'mistake' like that !
Unfortunate analogy their brother. Might want to rephrase

There’s a pic somewhere showing an entire dept in the tax office dressed as zombies at a work function. These scum bags should be facing their jotters in the morning.

it was on talksport a while ago, hugely negative of HMRC we were overcharged 10s of millions we never needed liquidation or admin, even talking about damages

Possibly ... he has the brass neck to do so.

Murray too who might see this as a nice little earner.

From a purely personal point of view, I would love to see someone go after the SFA and SPFL in court.
He could, but hopefully there is a massive fall out from this. What low level paper gatherer, Lord, insider etc actually forced the sale. I think the financial impact of this could be secondary to the house of cards which may, and emphasis on may, be about to tumble.
All the conspiracy theories on this outrage and the political influences on football cover-ups seem to be converging.

Prior to the sale RFC had a debt of 18 million which according to all reports at the time was sustainable as they were reducing it year on year.
Who wanted the sale to go through and for what purposes?

Do you really think Lloyds Bank were struggling for their money?

Dirty deeds were done at high levels within banking and government levels aided and abetted by HMRC.
Yeah mate 18mil and had sellable assets as in players valued at, at least double that. my Grandfather was a bond holder and My family where small shareholders in the old co. It hurts now as it did then that we lost it all due to lies, hate, corruption and incompetence.

I hope the board and Murray don't surrender as easy, on talksport they were discussing damages

Surrender ? Not quite. Trust me, nothing would please me more than to see every rat that put us through that ordeal held to account and for our club to be compensated. I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but surely damages would be payable to the company rather than the club. In that case would it not be the old TRFC plc. that would stand to gain ?

Last edited:
My first thought on this is that it simply cannot be true. Operation Tango from them.

in some ways, it is unbelievably sad for those no longer with us to have never have seen the truth come out.

Hopefully big Smilie gets the scaffolding business for the new wing on the Bar-L that will be needed if true. %^*&, I don’t care if Murray supplies the steel for the bars on the cells.

Although I cannot (at least for the time being) offer definitive proof that the events surrounding Rangers 'tax problems' that were subsequently used as a pretext - if not to destroy Rangers, then to inflict crippling damage on the club - was nothing less than a carefully orchestrated plot hatched by the club's enemies.

It has long been my hope that at some future point a diligent investigative journalist would dig into the circumstances that brought all of this about and name names. That would make for interesting reading indeed!!!

Although I cannot (at least for the time being) offer definitive proof that the events surrounding Rangers 'tax problems' that were subsequently used as a pretext - if not to destroy Rangers, then to inflict crippling damage on the club - was nothing less than a carefully orchestrated plot hatched by the club's enemies.

It has long been my hope that at some future point a diligent investigative journalist would dig into the circumstances that brought all of this about and name names. That would make for interesting reading indeed!!!
You mean “feet nailed to the floor”

Surrender ? Not quite. Trust me, nothing would please me more than to see every rat that put us through that ordeal held to account and for our club to be compensated. I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but surely damages would be payable to the company rather than the club. In that case would it not be the old TRFC plc. that would stand to gain ?
Possibly. But could then the old company, after paying its debts with its millions in compensation then make a huge donation to the current company.

not sure over the SFA liabilities, they may say they acted on the available information.

Those of us who paid close attention to all of this from the outset knew something/everything was rotten in the state of Denmark.

I am however stunned that the truth or at least a straw man of the truth could be coming out for the world to see. If Craig Whyte never got Duff and Phelps appointed administrators we would have been out of admin inside the week. It was a snow ball of events orchestrated in parts and probably worked out far better than the instigators could ever have hoped.

no chance of a merge between oldco and new?

John Reid?

If King along with other oldco shareholders sued and won enough to increase their pay out from oldco’s eventual wind up (post BDO exorbitant fees) there would be an unpalatable element like a certain Craig Whyte benefitting greatly.

The whole chain of events and strange mix of genuine fucked over shareholders and nefarious characters like whyte is an intertwined mess the second Murray was taken over by Lloyd’s.

To see proper resolution to the slighted individuals concerned would involve multiple court cases and a probable by product of dicks like Whyte benefitting.

In the end the true stakeholders royally fucked over, the fans, will never get closure on this.

Back