Players who have moved from Scotland to England and flopped

helicopter-sunday

After all this talk of Morelos and most recently Kamara being targeted by English sides, it got me thinking of players from Scotland, not just the Old Firm, who have moved from Scotland to England and flopped.

I don't think there's many in recent times.

When you think of McGinn moving from Hibs to Aston Villa and now he's rumoured to be interesting Man Utd.

Ryan Fraser from Aberdeen to Bournemouth and now possibly to Liverpool.

Kenny McLean is playing most weeks for Norwich.

McArthur and McCarthy doing well for Palace.

John Fleck has been a stand out for Sheffield Utd for a few seasons.

Stuart Armstrong, Graeme Shinnie are squad players for their respective clubs.

Van Dijk moved a number of years ago and is touted as one of the worlds best defenders.

Barry Ferguson won a trophy down in England with Birmingham City. Alan Hutton didn't manage to nail down a place at Spurs but did very well at Aston Villa towards the end of his career.

Tierney has moved recently, and there's strong talk that Morelos and Kamara won't be too far behind - If all three of them can do well it will definitely see more players hit the radar of the wealthy clubs down in England.

I know I'm probably doing us and Celtic an injustice here, I know some people don't like to see us being a stepping stone - but it's sign of the times. Both clubs are very much buy small and sell big clubs right now and England is where the money is.

What players have made the move from Scotland to England and just outright flopped?

And are there any other players in Scotland who you can see attracting interest from England soon?

Fraser fyvie , could maybe argue Matty Kennedy albeit he was very young and inexperienced , hooper flopped at Norwich , bednar from hearts , skacel , Barry Robson and Boyd at Boro , although Boyd had a good spell at forest , many have

Fraser fyvie , could maybe argue Matty Kennedy albeit he was very young and inexperienced , hooper flopped at Norwich , bednar from hearts , skacel , Barry Robson and Boyd at Boro , although Boyd had a good spell at forest , many have

Harsh on Hooper considering he averaged a goal every 3 and a bit games in England after leaving Celtic. 51 goals in 159 games.

Is that a flop?

People talk about the Euros potentially boosting Kamara's value but Borna could be a far better example of it. Starting for the world cup runners up in the next tournament and unfortunately for us not playing in a top league will have teams intrigued to say the least
The proof will be in the pudding but if our scouting system is able to identify replacements for anyone we sell then it won't be as much of a blow as it could be. Morelos is the one player I think we will struggle to replace as he has the potential to be world class, but we will make a pretty penny so some of that will be able to secure a "finished article" replacement.

Boumsong was a head scratcher. He was as good as anybody I’ve seen in defence for us in that brief period he was here, went down South and completely bombed.
Agree with this one.

I remember reading somewhere that one of his family members (possibly his mrs) had an illness, plus he had other personal problems and that's what he blamed for his form towards the end of his Newcastle career.

Was Charlie Nicholas seen as a success for Arsenal?
He scored the goals that won a League Cup Final, but overall he was so shite they punted him to Aberdeen.

Massive hype about him going there from Celtic.

A definite flop was Frank McGarvey, maybe his wife was more successful down Liverpool docks...

Boumsong was a head scratcher. He was as good as anybody I’ve seen in defence for us in that brief period he was here, went down South and completely bombed.

He strolled our league. I thought he had a good a chance as anybody of doing alright in that league

This thread could apply to many promising English players who flopped in England after debuting at Championship level.

Davie Robertson at Leeds United . Louis Moult at Preston , injured at the moment but struggling to get a game last season.

The great BBC pundit and SNP failed candidate Michael Stewart. Spent 8 seasons with Man Utd and managed 8 first team appearances. A bench warmer and happy to be so. No ambition whatever.

Reactions: o7o
Was Charlie Nicholas seen as a success for Arsenal?
He scored the goals that won a League Cup Final, but overall he was so shite they punted him to Aberdeen.

Massive hype about him going there from Celtic.

A definite flop was Frank McGarvey, maybe his wife was more successful down Liverpool docks...

He was a success initially, he was their player of the year in the first season, and then won the cup, scoring both goals. After that, it all went downhill.

Until we played Auxerre and he was shown up big time. Fair enough it was Benzema but he made him look ridiculous.

Leigh Griffiths was awful down south.
Pains me to say it but unfortunately that isn't really true, a few Wolves fans I know were disappointed he left.
He had 3 seasons at Wolves the first two were spent on,loan at Hibs and in the third by January he was their top scorer with 13 goals. The Tims then signed him that January window for a million quid. He scored 12 goals in 28 league games for Wolves but rumours in the midlands suggest he had to get out of town for his own safety.

Back