Katic

Because Goldson is undroppable for reasons only known to Gerrard.

He should have been hooked at half time tonight he was that much of a bombscare.

And playing a right footed player at left back giving us zero balance !!!

Shocking favouritism / management by Gerrard again I’m afraid

Title winning teams don’t drop point like that when cruising 1st half
That’s a bigger problem.
Not the favouritism part, which is nonsense, but that he’s our secod choice.
I

If I was him I'd put in a transfer request right now. Joke how he's being treated.

He’ll do it eventually anyway. He’s not going to stick around for one or two games against cannon fodder in cup games or the odd game against Hamilton. More to the point, he won’t improve one iota when this is how it’s going. Do we throw him in on Sunday? Well it doesn’t matter because we know Gerrard will start supporting Man Utd before he’ll drop Goldson. But even if he did Katic will be really rusty now so there’s probably no point.

It’s a boot in the balls to play so well and get immediately dropped after 2 poor displays while your former player gets to have a number of howlers and still keep his place, high profile howlers too.

I like Katic too but really? That would be a huge gamble and potentially unfair on Niko. The boys played next to no football for about 3 months and you would have him chucked in to the pressure cooker of an OF cup final? Any likely rustiness on his part would be brutally exposed.

Like it or not, it will rightly be Goldson and Helander on Sunday. Just need to hope they've got their poor games out of their system and can find the solidity they were showing only a few games ago.
Someone has to come out. Goldson and Helander were a shambles for Feyenoord's 2nd goal and were a shambles the second they were put under pressure today, they're not playing well. Goldson's already fucked it against them this season as well and i would rather not see a player that's on poor form, has a mistake in him and cant recover from those mistakes playing them

No, I was a centre forward and I know who I’d rather have played against.
Am sure u did mate

Goldson is never a defender in Scotland! His arm swinging was pathetic at their second goal and IF he was a leader he wouldn’t have been arm swinging he would have been hammering Flanagan in the first instance

He signed a new contract, are you implying it was a gunpoint?

He isn't getting a game as it stands, who gives a flying %^*& if he signed a new contract.
Do you think he would have signed it if he knew what would happen ?

Same as last season

katic plays the early games and the team plays well

gerrard looks for any reason to drop him and then the defence looks dreadful

sick of it tbh

NO they are NOT

I am a centre half and if u think Goldson is better than Goldson then u are not a centre half son

Like many he’s chosen his side and will stick to it regardless, that won’t change even if he lets Edouard stroll through to score again on a Sunday.

The fact is Katic would be dropped and roasted on here if he made those sorts of mistakes. Goldson’s cost us points in big games this season, I get that he’s generally played quite well of recent but feck me some folk just have a giant blind spot where he’s concerned. Gaffer included sadly.

Definitely although lack of game time would be a major worry the 2 CBs were an utter shambles but the loss of control in the 2nd half is frightening it was like 2 different teams.

Agreed. At 40 mins in I was thinking ‘we’re going top of the league here, cricket score coming up’. We then turned into the team we were last year who totally lost control, had to chase the game and had no idea how to break the other team down.

Depressing and utterly dismal.

Positionally Helander is very good but his lack of pace does really worry me. Goldson is a good player but he tends to switch off. I think Katic is unlucky not to get back in.

I would seriously start Katic and Edmundson on Sunday.

Radical maybe but Katic is better than Goldson and Helander will struggle with pace if they can isolate him.

He must come back in. Goldson is absolutely dug Shiite and Helander falls over his feet.
Katic is the only defender who in my opinion is a winner and doninates his space

Katic not keeping the centre half position after his terrific start to the season is simply baffling.

That in itself is hard to understand but the fact that he has failed to make the squad on numerous occasions is even more confusing.

It's almost as if Gerrard feels forced to play Helander because he shelled out good money for him in the summer.

Did you watch tonight ?
I think Katic is as close to a Goughie type of defender as we'll get and much prefer him to Helander,hardly any pace and nearly got done for on a couple of occasions,maybe alright in Europe but struggles with the pace and Goldson is a bombscare.

There seems to be this strange trend happening that if you want katic to play you get shot down.

Katic is by far the better performer over the last two seasons at CB and that's a fact, I couldn't tell you many mistakes katic has made that have cost us, Goldson on the other hand I can think of quite a few.

Was saying early into the game last night that we need Katic in their box at corners. We looked powder puff all night

I don't get this idea that Goldson is better than Katic - I've never seen any evidence of that at all. At the moment, I can't see any evidence to suggest Helander is better than Katic either. In fact, I am not even convinced either are better that Edmundson either.

I've got to say I think SG has messed up the centre half choice for Sunday. Goldson should've been benched weeks ago and Katic played but it never happened. Now if Katic is brought in from the cold on Sunday and didn't have a good game the knives will be out. For that reason I think it'll be Goldson and Helander this weekend.

For me he has to come in for Goldson now.

Goldson is far too ponderous and careless in possession, and that 2nd goal last night was utterly pathetic from him.

My biggest issue is some players can make mistakes and be bombed out the team for weeks while other players can make the same mistakes almost every week and still be guaranteed a place.

Edmundson needs a start imo. He's the only one not been given a proper chance. Maybe not on Sunday, but for the next league game - time to see what this guy can do.
On that note, I think our midfield lacks steel - we don't have a physical presence in there to dominate teams. McCrorie did this role well at times last season, but Jack is probably the closest we have to an "enforcer" type now.
This next statement might not go down well, but how about giving Edmundson a game at DM? He's fast, reads the game exceptionally well, and his distribution is very good. He'd offer the back four more protection than they're currently getting.

Reactions: TN8
For me he has to come in for Goldson now.

Goldson is far too ponderous and careless in possession, and that 2nd goal last night was utterly pathetic from him.

As was his attempted tackle in Rotterdam last week for their equaliser. You saw the reaction of the manager at the time....Gaffer needs to realise we aren't going to win anything if we defend like that, he needs to take responsibility too

Edmundson needs a start imo. He's the only one not been given a proper chance. Maybe not on Sunday, but for the next league game - time to see what this guy can do.
On that note, I think our midfield lacks steel - we don't have a physical presence in there to dominate teams. McCrorie did this role well at times last season, but Jack is probably the closest we have to an "enforcer" type now.
This next statement might not go down well, but how about giving Edmundson a game at DM? He's fast, reads the game exceptionally well, and his distribution is very good. He'd offer the back four more protection than they're currently getting.

Edmondson in midfield is definitely something that must be in Gerrard's mind too, remember him being brought on at Ibrox in that position and looked comfortable. I don't think the team selection in midfield was the problem last night though, it was definitely at the back and then the panic just seemed to set in throughout the whole team.

I would seriously start Katic and Edmundson on Sunday.

Radical maybe but Katic is better than Goldson and Helander will struggle with pace if they can isolate him.

Are you honestly saying we go with an untested centre half pairing in our first cup final in years against the best team in Scotland who have absolutely dominated in recent years? Totally fucking bonkers. And I mean mental. It's probably the worst suggestion I've ever heard.

Tav is poor defensively and Goldson and knows this, so is having to cover. Barisic is a doubt also so it would mean Flanagan comes in who isn't naturally suited to left back.

So, what you are going with is a right back with limited defending ability, a centre half who has played at most 180 minutes, one that hasn't played in a long time, and a right back that's covering at left back?

%^*& me man.

Helender worries me for Sunday. He is slow as shit and will struggle with their pace breaking from midfield.

they have pace in the front as well. He is the best defender we have but need a good game plan to nullify the threat they pose.

Back