Why do you support Rangers?

I was born into a Rangers supporting family - although there weren't always match attending members

I went to primary school where everyone supported the Gers & playing football in the playground had to be done while pretending to be a current Rangers player

I was lucky enough to have Gers supporting neighbours with kids my own age & they took me to matches whenever my own family couldn't - I've been eternally grateful ever since

When I first went to Ibrox - I couldn't believe the size, noise, colour & energy generated & was blown away - so of course I've been a convert ever since

What I haven't mentioned is that I grew up, went to primary & secondary school, started my 1st saturday job - all within a mile of the piggery - so I was exposed to all the worst degenerate traits of that shower of filth & knew at a very young age that we were several levels above & better than them - in other words we are the people

Now that I think of it - it's little wonder I'm a Gers fan but I still feel lucky that I am because of what a privilege it is

Last edited:
Rangers family. My dad's side and my papa on my mum's side were right orangemen, Born on the 14th of July, 2 days earlier I'd have been called William, that's the way the old man was. Been a bear since I could remember.

Last edited:
My Dad and uncles took me to Ibrox from a young age. Never entered my head to support anyone else.
I think many of us would feel that our love of the Club has grown and strengthened over the years, especially since the events of 2012 and the behaviour of those who tried and failed to destroy us.
I well remember standing outside the main stand looking up at that frontage before a game in spring that year and wondering whether I would still be doing the same in August.
You always seem to appreciate something so much more when there's a chance of it being taken from you.

No immediate family influence, so it was because of my mates at school, the vast majority of whom supported Rangers.

Really proud that my son has followed me.

Like most people , I was born into a Rangers supporting family.
My sons followed me and expect their children follow them.
Thank God

First time post from an auld yin. Please be kind! Every time I’m asked why I support Rangers the reason(s) I have given for last 50 years is always the same “John Grieg and Willie Henderson”

if the questioner needs further explanation they don’t get it from me. It is self-explanatory. I’ve been asked that question lots in my lifetime from Rangers and Celtic supporters alike. You see, I attended Catholic schools when I was growing up but have always and forever been a Rangers man; man and boy.

So, why do you support Rangers?

My brother does, my dad does, his dad, my mum's dad and so on - it was bestowed upon me at birth, there was never a choice.

My father was wounded at Normandy and for along time afterwards we lived with my grandfather in Ashgill his two brothers played for Rangers and probably the whole of Ashgill supported rangers no other team for me even though we live in south of England now blue blood in my veins

Who were the players?

Cracking story :)

My brother brain washed me from a very early age & I grew up in the 90’s so it was a joy to start following The Famous. By god he loved Hateley & Super Ally. He used to walk about the house shouting “Hail King Richard” for Gough!

My first memory of watching Rangers was the Battle of Britain against Leeds...I remember being out in the play ground the next day trying to dribble like Ian Durrant.

By god I’ve had some unreal weekends in Glasgow & u forgettable times spent with my two nephews watching Gers...long may it continue!

Follow Follow we Follow Rangers!!

Last edited:
I was 9 and Euro 96 was the first time I'd ever watched football properly because none of my family had any real interest in it. I remember watching Gascoigne's goal against Scotland being the most brilliant thing I'd ever seen and McCoist scoring a banger against Switzerland. It turned out that they both played for the same team, and it happened to be a Scottish team, and they were very, very good.

My Dad worked at the front door of Ibrox from mid 60's -late 70's (Police) and used to take me then my brother every home game, I caught the bug early as did my brother, and we've never looked back.

I honestly don't know
I remember seeing a quote that for a real supporter you don't choose a club to support, it chooses you
Whilst I like to think I am cold and rational if Rangers lose I feel it in the pit of my stomach. It affects my mood and my sleep
This is not sensible but I just have to ride it out. I can't talk myself round
I do avoid the bear pit for a day after a defeat (or even a draw) as the reactionx on here genuinely make me angry.
I always believed in supporting the team no matter what and never surrender
I was led to believe that was the Rangers way

My dad supports Rangers, as did his and so on.
My two boys support Rangers as do my entire family circle wife, in-laws ,brothers ,sisters, nieces & nephews.
WATP

My dad & his brothers & my mothers brothers all Partick Thistle fans ,understandable as they came from Cowcaddens / Maryhill
I was taken to Firhill as a boy & no matter the weather we had to stand behind the goal, because that's where they always stood.
However we have a family connection to Willie Johnston,s family & when Willie signed for Rangers in 63/64 & we started going to see him initially in the reserves, but "Bud" made the step up to the first team at 17 & played for Scotland at 18.
Bud took us to meet Scot Symon, Baxter etc so it didn't take long to be smitten. It has been like that since then

My old man & Uncle Joe took us to most of the games from about the age of 3 onward.

1st memory was sitting on the wall at Cappielow with my brother and cousin. Peter McCLoy came over and talked with us. In total awe of that giant! Must have been 77-78 season?

Come from the same village as Wee Wullie Henderson, my Aunt went to school with him and my old man knows him well.

Still blether to him in the Cooper Suite when I'm fortunate enough to go.

DJ's young brother is one of my best mates and when the bigman signed for Rangers there was only 1 team for me

Everybody at my primary school In Glasgow supported Rangers and I somehow knew that even at that early age, Rangers were the good guys and somehow Celtic were the bad guys. How right I turned out to be.

My Dad, family and all my friends supported Rangers. In Northern Ireland, all my close connections would support Rangers. We all would also support an English team but that varied widely.

Back