Why do you support Rangers?

B52

First time post from an auld yin. Please be kind! Every time I’m asked why I support Rangers the reason(s) I have given for last 50 years is always the same “John Grieg and Willie Henderson”

if the questioner needs further explanation they don’t get it from me. It is self-explanatory. I’ve been asked that question lots in my lifetime from Rangers and Celtic supporters alike. You see, I attended Catholic schools when I was growing up but have always and forever been a Rangers man; man and boy.

So, why do you support Rangers?

First time post from an auld yin. Please be kind! Every time I’m asked why I support Rangers the reason(s) I have given for last 50 years is always the same “John Grieg and Willie Henderson”

if the questioner needs further explanation they don’t get it from me. It is self-explanatory. I’ve been asked that question lots in my lifetime from Rangers and Celtic supporters alike. You see, I attended Catholic schools when I was growing up but have always and forever been a Rangers man; man and boy.

GREIG !!

Your spelling of John Greig the giveaway. :eek:

It all started 60 years ago, between ages 4 and 5 in P1. No parental direction for me, all the kids seemed to be jostling for position team wise. Looking back the 3 tims in the class were all sorted before anyone else, the visiting priest had done his work. I remember Hearts being a possibility at one point but plumped for Rangers. We won the SC that year so maybe that had some bearing, I dont remember.

Because my Dad does.

And because even though it isn’t evident on today’s like today after last night, I must somewhere deep inside have a love for the mental torture they put me through every season, regardless of the success at the seasons end.

My Dad is and his Dad was. The way it should be. In truth both sides of my family support Rangers. Also I was a 90s kid and to be honest it was pretty easy to get the bug for Rangers.

My uncle took me to my first Rangers game when I was younger and never looked back.

I was lucky however as my other uncle supports Dundee United and was on holiday when I wanted to go to my first football game.

Lucky indeed! ha!

Beacause my favourite colour was blue and the first game i can remember watching was the 1978 Scottish Cup Final which Rangers won 2-1 v Aberdeen

My Dad, mainly.

At my school most of the kids fell in to supporting Aberdeen or Dundee Utd given the era.

We had two rogue Celtic fans that didn't attend the local catholic primary and that was it for their side of things.

In 84 when we were around P3 and really getting in to football I was the only Rangers fan and most supported Aberdeen with a couple of Utd fans too. I can only assume their Dad's didn't particularly care for football and that just became a thing.

I started going regularly to games and along with my Dad's influence, something about Davie Cooper just got me hooked.

I was born into a Church of Scotland, Rangers supporting family, who've been regulars at Ibrox since the end of WW1, so it was always inevitable I'd follow in the steps of all the older generations of my family.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Born in to a family of rangers supporters. Dad went to Ibrox Primary and still points out his old class every match. As the saying says "rangers fans are born not manufactured".

Grew up in staunch area and grandparents were hardcore. They gave me no option...I had scarf and hat by 3 years old. They also - right or wrong - let me know all about the 'baggage' and that we were more than a club, and had a community to be represented. I still see it that way which recently has caused some issues on here!

Because of my family. From a C of S background and my Dad and 4 brothers were all Rangers fans, as were my grandparents and great grandparents just before the First World War.

It's in the blood.
Family of bears but don't recall being told or overly encouraged to support the Rangers - it was almost as if it was simply assumed that I would.
I did, as my father, grandad and great grandad did before me, and now my sons do too.
My grandson doesn't understand it yet but it's in the blood and, in due course, he will too.

Against the odds l chose Rangers. My old man tried desperately to get me to support Man Utd as he had taken them as his team after moving to England after the war. My Grandfather was a bluenose but wasn't allowed to influence me.
Thing is I loved hearing my Grandfather sing the songs when he was in party mode. This got me fascinated with all things Glasgow and Rangers had the coolest kit and badge.
Over the years Rangers went from being a score l looked out for as a boy to an obsession as l got older.

My whole family are Rangers supporters, growing up in Ardrossan my dad had a pub there and i was launched on there every week and taken to the games by regulars of the pub, sometimes my brother attended, mostly not, and every time you were lifted or squeezed through the turnstile.
those were the days when a carry out was allowed and the terrace stairs ran with pish and lager, the toilets were avoided at all costs,all the kids stood down the front and were instructed to meet at the top of the stairs or somewhere after full time to meet the drunken regulars to get the bus back.
now my son goes to school in Queensferry where it is predominately Hertz as one of the teachers is Callum Pattersons Mum and he used to come in, i'm so proud of my boy sticking with Rangers as his team amongst pressure from the wee fannies in Edinburgh.
he loves it and hopefully we can bring success and keep him happy.

May 1978, as I was turning 5, WC fever was gripping the nation.

I told my Dad (who's only a notional Rangers supporter and not that interested in football) that I wanted to be Kenny Dalglish and he told me that I was wrong and that I should want to be Derek Johnstone as he was better because he played for Rangers. He then trold me about the 16 year old boy who scored the winning header in a game three years before I was born.

At my first Rangers game, almost 2 years later, the SC SF v Fergie's Sheep at The Piggery, captain DJ scored the winning goal. That really sealed the deal but unfortunately I never saw peak Derek, although I was thrilled to meet him at Stamford Bridge, before the Bradford Disaster game.

Lived all my life in the East End of Glasgow where you very quickly learn of the cultural divide and that it usually influences what football team you support. My old man took me to Ibrox and other grounds and wasn't really a Rangers supporter, however the rest of my relatives were and I can't really imagine any alternative to being a "Rangers Man"

I’m glad my family chose my siblings and me to carry on the tradition of supporting the Famous.

I was taken to my first game in a local supporters bus by my old boy as a six year old in 1960,
My brothers,uncle,cousins are all blue to the bones and my kids and grandkids have followed in the tradition.

The fact that my grandfather didn’t speak to my mum for a month after I was born on the 17th of March may show why.

My family are all staunch Rangers men and gals so was inevitable I would follow suit.

was quickly versed growing up and the kid across the road telling me we were different because he went to a catholic school... how right he was!!

My Dad. He took me to a reserve game at Ibrox when I was 2. Let my Mother get on with the shopping in Glasgow.
That was 62 years ago. Later I remember the days we used to get the old steam train up from Greenock and get off at Ibrox station. Lifted over the turnstyle and watched the game from the West Enclosure.
Happy days.

I was the only one in my street who supported rangers as a boy I think the ribbings I took made me all the more fanatical.

Back