Brandon Barker over Stewart

When Greg Stewart scored 2 from the bench, Gerrard said he had been given something to think about.

Greg must be wondering what more is expected of him.

I would have put Ojo on before Barker

Putting Ojo on would have evened the game up as it would effectively be 10 men vs 10 men, when he is on the pitch it is like going down a man. I'd have Grezda on the pitch before Ojo.

Should probably have been Greg Stewart on, he has proven to be an impact sub.

Reactions: BWO
I’ve genuinely never understood why we signed him. I’ve kept my powder dry because you always hope the player will show something to prove you wrong once he’s here and in the jersey.

I just find him being in this squad utterly bamboozling altogether.

An empty shirt for me. He is the only complaint I have regarding Gerrard's stewardship so far. The gaffer has made some mistakes but you can at least see reason for them but Barker I don't get.
He was signed as we thought we weren't getting Kent.

Stop blaming anybody we bossed that game from start to finish, the only reason we do not have the cup is that big lump of a goalkeeper who rode his luck.

Big lump of a goalkeeper, finishing seriously lacking and the usual switch off at the back !

Yes we bossed the game but 'they' have a mentality which thus far we are lacking.

Only consolation is that bigger things are still to be fought for !

This sub wasnt the reason the game was lost though.

Rangers need a big Daniel Cousin type of player on the bench for these games. But Gerrard did not sign anybody like this. How many corners did Rangers have? Not one hit the head of a Rangers player.

And Rangers need more goals from Midfield. Ojo/Aribo are League One players. Arfield and Kent did not have a good game either going forward. Today you could see that a good team can not only rely on ONE player everytime.

He was signed as we thought we weren't getting Kent.
If he was truly signed for this reason it's even more baffling, he's in no way similar in product, style or worth to the team. A replacement should be at least something like that.

he was complete and utter dross when he came on.

Never beat his man, clumsy in possession, no skill or technique to speak of, what have we signed here?

For his “electric pace”, he certainly didn’t use it, didn’t offer anything in terms of an outball, didn’t look like he wanted to be there, complete waste of a jersey, would have been better bringing on Stewart.

I agree, think ' power cut ' !

Insane. He hasn’t played him In weeks and throws him on in a cup final.
What has Stewart got to do to get a chance.

The Defoe sub was a waste of time.

it had to be stewart. they were digging in and we needed a bit of savvy in the box

This, all the way.

I understood SG's thoughts in bringing Barker on: pace against 10 men, on the side where Frimpong had gone from.
But when you're playing 10 men you're usually better going through the middle -- that way your extra man tells.

Stewart WAS the obvious and clearly correct choice to be brought on.
He's a player who can not only finish but make goals too, and against a solid and determined defence, Stewart would have provided better backing for Alfie and finally Defoe.

Subs are certainly SG's main weakness.
It is a problem, one that we all really hope he masters.

Barker had an impact when coming on and it's incredibly harsh to use him as the scapegoat today
The only impact he had was to make Ajer look good. Not a scapegoat but he needs to do more like go past a centre back filling in at right back.

We need another option up front, a big physical striker who can head a ball. We have two centre halves there who are poor with their heads, when it comes to putting balls into the box we offer very little threat.

Barker is woeful, one of these players that you can just tell wont make it after his first 30 minutes for the club. We'll be loaning him out starting next year until his contract expires and we never manage to get players like him off the wage bill. One of the things he was supposed to be really good at was running with the ball at pace but we rarely ever see it from him. He doesn't score either. He's similar to Grezda in that his only good performance came against a team down a man

We need another option up front, a big physical striker who can head a ball. We have two centre halves there who are poor with their heads, when it comes to putting balls into the box we offer very little threat.
Brandon Barker over Stewart? He is over nobody. Not good enough at all and not just in this game.

SG was wanting to stretch the game!

2 strikers and 2 wide men!! If you can’t see the logic in this then I can’t help

Terrible decision putting on Barker. Kent should have been told to play wide left after the sending off. Barker ok on the counter attack but Stewart much better at beating players.

The only Criticism I have for Gerrard today was bringing barker on. He just isn’t good enough and hasn’t shown in any game that he is good enough.

Ojo or Stewart should have been on. He doesn’t even look at Barker in any other game yet decides to play him twice in Europe then fling him on today.

He’s Gerrard’s Namouchi.

This sub wasnt the reason the game was lost though.

Rangers need a big Daniel Cousin type of player on the bench for these games. But Gerrard did not sign anybody like this. How many corners did Rangers have? Not one hit the head of a Rangers player.

And Rangers need more goals from Midfield. Ojo/Aribo are League One players. Arfield and Kent did not have a good game either going forward. Today you could see that a good team can not only rely on ONE player everytime.
They almost all hit the heads of Rangers players. The direction at that point was an issue. Even some of the "clearances" in the second half were our guys glancing the ball on

Barker looks like he’s won a competition. He’s dreadful.

Frightening to think, at one point, he was the Kent replacement.

Absolute madness.

Barker I have yet to see him use any pace hes supposed to have control is woeful and can't beat a man.

Heart sunk when he came on

Bit of guile something different with Stewart not to mention the 2 goals against Hearts. Must be wondering what he needs to do.

Absolutely useless

i give up. Honestly dont know if it stubbornness or blindness. Too little to late no matter what now.

Barker and Ojo coming on to change games highlights once again how weak our squad is. Barker was actually being outrun, outworked and outmuscled by players who had been knocking their pans in for 70 minutes. He looked so bad it was unbelievable.

We need better quality in that squad and the hangers on moved on before we can move to the next level. Hopefully we start adding to that in the next transfer window.

Back