Gerrard confirmed Morelos was penalty taker

Of all the games to change penalty taker we choose this one. Why? Honestly just why? If we wanted Tav off them it should've happened ages ago. Morelos was under far more pressure to score it than Tav would've.
It wasn't this game though was it. It did happen ages ago, this just happened to be the first one since it was decided weeks ago

Some of you guys/haters need to take a break from the internet - hating on Tav for Morelos hitting a sh!te penalty is probably as desperate as it gets.

Tav was on a hiding to nothing with penalty . Folk has been screaming to get him to hand penalty duties over . He does that and is still getting slated .

Wow. Looks like a lot of throbbers owe Tavernier an apology for slandering him as a shitebag/coward/disgrace etc etc.

he’s not gonna throw Tavernier under the bus, is he?

it’s up to you who you believe. My interpretation of the event was Tavernier didn’t fancy it and changed his mind last minute. Gerrard is covering for him.

it’s hardly being a ‘throbber’ suggesting this. I know what I seen.

Reactions: BWO
Some of you guys/haters need to take a break from the internet - hating on Tav for Morelos hitting a sh!te penalty is probably as desperate as it gets.

Forster can only save that penalty by being 1.5 yards off his line.

Another refereeing failure.

Is the manager a liar?

Or are you just talking shite as per usual

Embarrising response.

Imagine the manager lying to protect the captain, all good managers will take the heat off the players onto themselves.

Talk about naivety.

Of all the games to change penalty taker we choose this one. Why? Honestly just why? If we wanted Tav off them it should've happened ages ago. Morelos was under far more pressure to score it than Tav would've.

Because Tavernier has missed several this year. Why wouldn’t you change it in the biggest of games? Surely letting a player who’s missed a few carry in the biggest of games would be the really stupid decisions, and not the reverse?

I’m at a loss as to why people feel this was a mistake, forgetting of course that you have the absolute benefit of hindsight and knowing the eventual outcome.

So because he has probably taken a pen before, he should have got in ahead of our regular penalty taker?
To quote over a hundred posters after the last miss, that should’ve been the last one he took, if only for a while.
The list of replacements was pretty varied but Morelos was favourite.
Personally, I didn’t want a different taker so I might be in agreement with you but, for different reasons.

it’s up to you who you believe. My interpretation of the event was Tavernier didn’t fancy it and changed his mind last minute. Gerrard is covering for him.

Yes it is. Nobody knows he’s lying, so simply racing in to abuse Tavernier is shite behaviour. People are dishing it out based on an assumption.

To quote over a hundred posters after the last miss, that should’ve been the last one he took, if only for a while.
The list of replacements was pretty varied but Morelos was favourite.
Personally, I didn’t want a different taker so I might be in agreement with you but, for different reasons.
I’m not against having someone else take pens, but I don’t think today was the day to change it.

Embarrising response.

Imagine the manager lying to protect the captain, all good managers will take the heat off the players onto themselves.

Talk about naivety.
You're embarrassing.
Tavernier has missed 3 this season,including the last 2 he hit.
The last one being against Motherwell 6 weeks ago when it was probably decided then that Morelos was now the nominated penalty taker.
Morelos missed,that is on Morelos,no fault of Tavernier.

Reactions: GF7
I’m not against having someone else take pens, but I don’t think today was the day to change it.
Too many are saying so now because Morelos missed though.
If he’d score this particular narrative would have been that Tavernier should have given them up months ago.

It’s a cup final against them... Be a captain have the balls to take responsibility. If it goes t**s up then at least you stood up to be the fall guy..

He wouldn’t have collected the ball if that was the case

So why did he hand it over then? Did he get the ball thinking "I'm taking this." then change his mind in the next 7 seconds before selecting a suitable penalty taker and forcing him to hit it?

Morelos was standing on the spot waiting for the ball. Do folk have that much of a downer on Tav now that they are calling out our Manager as a liar so they can have a go at Tav?
Morelos wasn’t waiting at the spot, I was looking right at them, Tav ran for the ball walked towards the spot then waved Morelos

Yes it is. Nobody knows he’s lying, so simply racing in to abuse Tavernier is shite behaviour. People are dishing it out based on an assumption.

of course it’s an assumption. Also, this is a forum, where people are allowed to have opinions - it doesn’t make them a throbber was believing what they seen to be true. (It’s also a forum that Tavernier will never see what’s said ffs)

just like you’re not a throbber for believing otherwise.

from what I seen, whether right or wrong, it appeared that Tavernier went to collect the ball to take the penalty and at the last minute, lumped the responsibility onto someone who wasn’t prepared for it.

I’m not alone in thinking that way either.

We’ll never know for sure, but imo, he didn’t fancy it.

a key moment in the game, and our captain let us down.

(Oh, and btw, I’m a Tavernier fan)

I was totally gobsmacked when Alfie stepped forward. I had zero percentage confidence in him scoring.

of course it’s an assumption. Also, this is a forum, where people are allowed to have opinions - it doesn’t make them a throbber was believing what they seen to be true. (It’s also a forum that Tavernier will never see what’s said ffs)

just like you’re not a throbber for believing otherwise.

from what I seen, whether right or wrong, it appeared that Tavernier went to collect the ball to take the penalty and at the last minute, lumped the responsibility onto someone who wasn’t prepared for it.

I’m not alone in thinking that way either.

We’ll never know for sure, but imo, he didn’t fancy it.

a key moment in the game, and our captain let us down.

(Oh, and btw, I’m a Tavernier fan)

You don’t think a load of people calling Tav a coward based on a hypothesis is a bit out of order? I’ve been pretty critical of Tavernier because for me he has lacked mental toughness at times, but labelling him a coward on an assumption seems a bit shit.

If it was confirmed that he was the designated taker and handed it off to Morelos then that would make a bit more sense.

You're embarrassing.
Tavernier has missed 3 this season,including the last 2 he hit.
The last one being against Motherwell 6 weeks ago when it was probably decided then that Morelos was now the nominated penalty taker.
Morelos missed,that is on Morelos,no fault of Tavernier.

I watched Tav walk to the ball, pick it up, stand there for a few seconds then hand it Morelos who didnt even look like he was expecting it.

I know what I believe and weather you like it or not this will split the support in terms of opinion on who the taker was.

If Morelos was on the penalty Tav should have stayed the fu.ck away, needless drama.

I had absolutely zero confidence in Morelos scoring that penalty. I'm fairly sure there's people on here that share that exact same opinion.

I bet some of the team even had that same thought.

I watched Tav walk to the ball, pick it up, stand there for a few seconds then hand it Morelos who didnt even look like he was expecting it.

I know what I believe and weather you like it or not this will split the support in terms of opinion on who the taker was.

If Morelos was on the penalty Tav should have stayed the fu.ck away, needless drama.
There was no drama,only in you're head.

Too many are saying so now because Morelos missed though.
If he’d score this particular narrative would have been that Tavernier should have given them up months ago.
My opinion is, I don’t think Tav is a bad pen taker at all, and I’m sure the pressure put on him months ago, was also frustration towards his overall game and not just missed pens.
But my grumble is at changing it today.
My option is, Tav had been there and done more than anyone, and that should have continued in the massive game today.

Be honest, like the rest of us, you were over the moon Morelos was hitting that penalty(before he hits it!!) I know I was and if we could go back in time, I'd pick him again!!
Because Tavernier has missed several this year. Why wouldn’t you change it in the biggest of games? Surely letting a player who’s missed a few carry in the biggest of games would be the really stupid decisions, and not the reverse?

I’m at a loss as to why people feel this was a mistake, forgetting of course that you have the absolute benefit of hindsight and knowing the eventual outcome.

Do you really believe that? Tav made such a show of handing the ball over that there's no way it was pre-planned.

I was totally gobsmacked when Alfie stepped forward. I had zero percentage confidence in him scoring.
What you base the lack of confidence on? Cause he cannae score against the mighty sellick? Any other day and he rattles a hattrick against them and we lift that cup!! He'll score(probably the worst goal and finish of his career against them in his worst performance) and then go on to score plenty till he inevitably leaves us as a hero and title winner!!

You don’t think a load of people calling Tav a coward based on a hypothesis is a bit out of order? I’ve been pretty critical of Tavernier because for me he has lacked mental toughness at times, but labelling him a coward on an assumption seems a bit shit.

If it was confirmed that he was the designated taker and handed it off to Morelos then that would make a bit more sense.

not really, no. If he is getting tweeted that, then aye, that’s shite. Someone saying words, on an Internet forum, under the name of an alias, that the recipient won’t see, isn’t that out of order.

people are entitled to their opinions, as long as it doesn’t go overboard.

we’ll never know for sure what happened with that penalty. One will choose to believe one version of events, and another will choose to believe something else. That’s fine.

im wanting my captain to back up his claims he backs his own ability and take the bill by the horn though. I’ll forever be disappointed in him that he didn’t.

At the time my balls got all tingly seeing Morelos getting the chance. Hindsight, he wasn’t scoring in a brothel today, so shouldn’t have been anywhere near it.

Wow. Looks like a lot of throbbers owe Tavernier an apology for slandering him as a shitebag/coward/disgrace etc etc.

Are you really that naive? I know you aren’t stupid because your posts are usually great, but SG was never going to throw him under the bus today. If Morelos was the appointed taker, he would have picked up the ball, especially if he was nearest to it. The habits of footballers are always a give away.

This.
I suspect Tav was the designated taker and just didn’t fancy it, the gaffer might be protecting him to avoid a feeding frenzy from the mhedia.

Yeah, this was my interpretation of the event as well. Would like to see a replay but there is absolutely no chance Morelos knew he was hitting that penalty. I imagine the people moaning weren't at the game as the highlights haven't shown this.

Back