Albion Car Park – Possible Sale?

Heard about it through work a good while ago, but no idea what the thinking or reason behind it is. All a bit mysterious.

I’ve uncovered some interesting information from the minutes of recent meetings of Govan Community Council.

In November 2019:
Rangers were proposing to sell off part of the Albion Car Park - intention unknown.

In December 2019:
Rangers proposal is to sell off part of the Albion for Housing, while also pursuing other land for parking.

“Strong Support” for the reopening of the Ibrox Railway Station from SNP Councillor Dornan.

Minutes for both meetings can be found here: https://govancommunitycouncil.com/events/about-2/minutes/

Knew a good while ago of the plans to sell some of it off. Couldn’t say at the time though due to it not being in public domain

Councillor Stevie Dornan is not to be trusted. He was very vocal about blocking the fan zone in Ibrox complex as apparently it impacts on the local kids teams that play there.
As councillor Dornan is on the committee of a local kids team that do not use the Ibrox complex as the surface is a disgrace and has never been upgraded you would think he would know about the use of the facilities or was he only interested in blocking our fans zone.
As an aside he also voted against another local football team, who were born out of the one he is on the committee of over financial issues, having their own pitch which means they are the only team that use the pitch now to train on. Depriving local kids of football while campaigning for them to use potentially dangerous facilities. That is stevie Dornan ex labour then jump on the snp bandwagon councillor

If you are ever on any Ayrshire trains, you can actually see some of the old platform, stadium side, that was not completely removed.
Never got an ayrshire train from glasgow before as I use paisley. Got the train from paisley to glasgow, but never noticed before.

If the Albion car park was up for a “possible sale” under the spivs - this place would be in meltdown.

I wouldn’t like the board to sell it completely as it brings in an income plus our current “foot-print” is too small as it is.
However, there may be a “trade-off” at work here so I’ll give the benefit of doubt.

If the station can be opened on the main Ayr to Glasgow line behind the garage it would be ideal. Trains from Ayr picking up Ayrshire and Renfrewshire bears without the need to go to central station and double back. Glasgow bears able to choose between the subway and either Ayr or Ardrossan trains coming the other way from central.
Could Ulster bears have coordinated trains from Stranraer off the boat?

I wouldn’t sell any land we own around the stadium as a trade off though.
The biggest problem is fitting in time for trains to stop at this new station. It's far more complicated than just adding a new bus stop. The line(s) on that stretch of the network run to a congested and tight schedule as it is without introducing a slowing down period (possibly adds on 3 min. per stopping train) every 20 minutes or so. To further compound the issue the new station's use will really only be required when we are at home which is sporadic. Might have a job convincing Network Rail that this is viable.

Could be wrong but folk have intimated in the past that more housing in the immediate vicinity of the stadium could prevent future expansion plans.

Ibrox Station for decades served three Stadiums.

This photo is dated 1928, White City Stadium opened 7th April 1928 (Closed 1972) and the Albion Greyhound Stadium opened 21st April same year and closed 1960.
Must have built the Bill Struth Stand in record time.:eek:

gn300f.png

Could be wrong but folk have intimated in the past that more housing in the immediate vicinity of the stadium could prevent future expansion plans.
A good way to gauge it would be the amount of new housing (or lack of,) going up around parkhead.

I've always thought we could've done a multi-story carpark combined with other commercial ventures like fan zone, cafe, museum etc perhaps even some sort of overpass walkway towards the stadium.

A multi storey probably wouldn't make much economical sense if it's only going to be used once a fortnight and occasionally during the week.

I've always thought we could've done a multi-story carpark combined with other commercial ventures like fan zone, cafe, museum etc perhaps even some sort of overpass walkway towards the stadium.

Would love to have the cash to invest in something like that. I’ve got some ideas that I’d think would be a) cracking and b) make loads of £££

Need to go on dragons den!

I dont think the station will open any time soon and network rail / scotrail will have a say more than corrupt council folk out to shaft us

Unless the deal is hugely in Rangers favour and if it's a sealed deal and all we are getting is a few million quid and %^*& all else then heads should roll but I guess time will tell

Ibrox Station for decades served three Stadiums.

This photo is dated 1928, White City Stadium opened 7th April 1928 (Closed 1972) and the Albion Greyhound Stadium opened 21st April same year and closed 1960.
Must have built the Bill Struth Stand in record time.:eek:

gn300f.png
The stand was built with the centre core first and you can see the main entrance taking shape.

If we could get full ownership of the Sports Complex opposite Ibrox Freehold, not leasehold, we could have the first three of those ideas on site there.

I think we have to give the benefit of the doubt here.
The Albion is an asset, a useful amenity for supporters and an income stream.

I would be absolutely astounded-and I mean Ashley deal level astounded-if we were fucking ourselves over with a bad arrangement.

i think the last thing we need is more housing round the vicinity of the stadium, its getting blocked out on all approaches, coming down dumbreck you cant see stadium until up near the petrol station.

A hotel has been discussed too, with a developer who lives near me....unsure whereabouts near our ground but definitely been in talks.

Sell some for housing, and use some cash to build a multi storey car park.

A multi storey car park on a match day would be total chaos. Look how bad it gets at Silverburn or the Hydro when it’s busy. Can sit there for hours. Silly suggestion to be honest

Call me a cynic but I dont like sound of this deal. Council floating idea of re opening station just to get part of albion. They are already putting the squeeze on parking round the ground as it is. Probably get there hands on the land then shut the club deck. Dont trust them one bit.

Pessimist here, but can you imagine the state of Ibrox near full time if you have folk leaving for both the subway and the train.

Dont try and tell me it wont happen.....

Is that not a different Dornan???

It’s Steven Dornan (SNP)who is involved . He is a bitter Tim .

he was involved in scrapping our fan zone and recently tabled a motion to recognise HMRC acted correctly during our tax issues with them .

not to be trusted .

I’m also worried about Ibrox slowly being hidden behind social housing while the piggery is being showcased

I seriously doubt they are going to re-open a train line and station just to service Rangers fans once a fortnight and the odd time midweek. Who else would really use it outside of matchdays? It won't make financial sense.

Not enough to warrant a dedicated train stop, especially when there's a Subway stop nearby and a plethora of buses going along PRW.
One day they'll have to extend the line to the airport, Ibrox would be on it.

Makes total sense in all honesty and would eventually pay for itself even if it took years

One day they'll have to extend the line to the airport

Not while the SNP run the council they won't :D

Even if they did reactivate the line, it's not a given that they would reinstate any stations, as they're obviously costly to build and maintain. More likely be an express service direct from Central to the Airport.

Not while the SNP run the council they won't :D

Even if they did reactivate the line, it's not a given that they would reinstate any stations, as they're obviously costly to build and maintain. More likely be an express service direct from Central to the Airport.

You'd rather get a train than a bus in most cases.

Strategic blunder of the highest order - I've been mentioning it for a year but was dismissed as being negative or just inventing it.

youve been cryptic and dismissive of expansion plans of Ibrox and some of the work being planned by the board .

you seem to suggest rangers are being hampered and any meaningful expansion cannot happen .

can you expand on this ?

personally , if you look at the piggery with it being showcased and in an area that’s seen massive investment and you look at our main stand being hidden behind so social housing , I’m concerned that you are correct .

You'd rather get a train than a bus in most cases.

Obviously, but that doesn't mean they’ll build a train station just for people's convenience. Look how long it took for Robroyston to get their new station, and there's a lot more people living up that way who didn't have a Subway or a large amount of buses to choose from.

I'm not against the idea, but I just don't see it as vital or financially viable.

I seriously doubt they are going to re-open a train line and station just to service Rangers fans once a fortnight and the odd time midweek. Who else would really use it outside of matchdays? It won't make financial sense.
It will if it links redevelopment and new houses are built, lots of examples around Lanarkshire where the reopening train line went with redevelopment ( hamilton to larkhall line being 1)

Obviously, but that doesn't mean they’ll build a train station just for people's convenience. Look how long it took for Robroyston to get their new station, and there's a lot more people living up that way who didn't have a Subway or a large amount of buses to choose from.

I'm not against the idea, but I just don't see it as vital or financially viable.

Nobody really cares about the people in Robroyston except the people in Robroyston.

There's going to be more buy in for a train station that hundreds of thousands of people throughout the UK might use at one point or another to go to a Rangers game.

It will if it links redevelopment and new houses are built, lots of examples around Lanarkshire where the reopening train line went with redevelopment ( hamilton to larkhall line being 1)

I don't know what the number of people would be to trigger the need for a train station, but I'm guessing it would probably have to be in the tens of thousands. But again, there's a Subway and PRW is one of the best served routes for buses, so I can imagine a train station at Ibrox will be deemed a very low priority. Lots of highly populated areas of Glasgow can't even get buses at the moment.

Nobody really cares about the people in Robroyston except the people in Robroyston.

There's going to be more buy in for a train station that hundreds of thousands of people throughout the UK might use at one point or another to go to a Rangers game.

We all manage to get to games with the current transport provisions, do we not?

We all manage to get to games with the current transport provisions, do we not?

Yes but it's a minor nuisance if you have to get a train from Edinburgh to Glasgow and then make your way from the main train stations to the subway or buses. It'd be much better if you could get a train from Haymarket to Glasgow and then from Glasgow Central or Queen Street to Ibrox. I'm not saying it's the most necessary thing in the world but it'd be an improvement.

Yes but it's a minor nuisance if you have to get a train from Edinburgh to Glasgow and then make your way from the main train stations to the subway or buses. It'd be much better if you could get a train from Haymarket to Glasgow and then from Glasgow Central or Queen Street to Ibrox. I'm not saying it's the most necessary thing in the world but it'd be an improvement.

The council won't build new train stations because of 'minor nuisances'.

I doubt it will open but if it did it could be a match day only facility

Back