Where does Jones fit in?

Borna

Good player who I enjoy watching. Capable of going by defenders and has already shown on his day he can contribute with moments of quality like he did against Legia Warsaw & Midtjylland.

Starting material for me though? Not really. Feel he lacks goals to his game, and out of Kent, Stewart, Aribo & Ojo he appears to be the worst finisher of the lot. Also a bit worried that he doesn't really fit our system as much as the others as he prefers to play out wide, rather than as a narrow forward that we tend to utilise.

Can he gain his place back as a useful squad player?

I genuinely find it odd how so many fans fail to appreciate that it’s a squad game. I accept that we probably need 15-16 players, not the 24-25 other clubs work with.

As it stands, he’s the direct replacement for Kent when rotating/resting when games are won and could even start on the opposite side to Kent (with them switching sides) at home to lesser sides where we don’t need two sitting midfielders.

As a side, I feel these transfer rumours - for some reason unbeknown to me - have sparked a weird wave of FF users not appreciating his contribution pre-injury. He wasn’t a world beater, but he came up with big moments in important games.

Can Jones play on the right side of midfield?

I know that he is right footed and usually plays left mid.

Good player who I enjoy watching. Capable of going by defenders and has already shown on his day he can contribute with moments of quality like he did against Legia Warsaw & Midtjylland.

Starting material for me though? Not really. Feel he lacks goals to his game, and out of Kent, Stewart, Aribo & Ojo he appears to be the worst finisher of the lot. Also a bit worried that he doesn't really fit our system as much as the others as he prefers to play out wide, rather than as a narrow forward that we tend to utilise.

Give yourself peace FFS! It’s Saturday night and you’ve produced some ridiculous threads today! I’m aware it’s a forum for opinions but from the youth not being up to it to players coming back from injury not fitting into systems! Give them a chance!

Can Jones play on the right side of midfield?

I know that he is right footed and usually plays left mid.

Ryan Jack is right midfield and Jones isn't even a midfielder mate.

He'll be part of the squad and is currently behind Kent and ahead of Barker for the left attacking slot.

Aribo is the man in possession on the right, with Stewart and Ojo his competition.

He signed on a free from Kilmarnock, nobody's going to be tearing their scrotum apart worrying whether he's going to start games or not. Before his injury he was doing very well, comfortably number 3 pick for the 2 slots behind/wide of the striker after Kent and Aribo at the moment.

He'll be part of the squad and is currently behind Kent and ahead of Barker for the left attacking slot.

Aribo is the man in possession on the right, with Stewart and Ojo his competition.

As well as that, I see no reason why we can’t go with a fluid front four in some games at Ibrox against packed defences.

Jones and Kent wide, Morelos up top and Aribo as a 10, with two of Jack/Davis/Kamara/Arfield anchoring - even then, the three behind Morelos could swap at any point in the game.

We genuinely have a lot of options, and Jones is a part of that.

Totally agree we need the ability to change systems from game to game and also during the game ,how many times do we get restless and demand SG makes substitutions early to change the system .Jones gives us that, playing at home when teams have got used to us either start him or bring him on and tell him and Kent to just interchange both have pace and skill and with Alfie in the middle and those two interchanging wings all the time give the opposition a few nightmares . and if Gerrard can find a way to bring or start Stewart just behind Alfie .Goals will flow .

Pardon my ignorace but I always thought wingers are midfielders, so Kent would be a left midfielder. Winger just being a more specific term for a left/right midfielder who plays in a more advanced role up the pitch.

Aribo has been excellent recently in that position but I still think he’s a number 10, we just don’t play with a 10.

I thought gerrard would play Jones and Kent in kind of free roles around morelos where they could interchange

Aribo has been excellent recently in that position but I still think he’s a number 10, we just don’t play with a 10.

I thought gerrard would play Jones and Kent in kind of free roles around morelos where they could interchange

It has to be an option.

We don’t need to have three in the middle at home to weaker sides.

As well as that, I see no reason why we can’t go with a fluid front four in some games at Ibrox against packed defences.

Jones and Kent wide, Morelos up top and Aribo as a 10, with two of Jack/Davis/Kamara/Arfield anchoring - even then, the three behind Morelos could swap at any point in the game.

We genuinely have a lot of options, and Jones is a part of that.

It could easily happen mate, but up to now, Gerrard, like Klopp, prefers 3 narrow midfielders, as this gives him total control of the game.

We lost our way at Hampden a bit when Gerrard took Kamara off and went with 4 forwards.

All of a sudden the mentally challengeds were able to get more possession because we didn't have the same control in the middle of the park.

There's no question we do have plenty options though, if required.

Long term that will be exactly where Aribo plays imo. Drifts in and out of games too much still but has flashes of absolute brilliance.

He’s competing with Kent, Aribo and Ojo for a starting slot. For me he’s ahead of Ojo due to his experience of the league. But then is a different player to Aribo so could start ahead of him in certain games depending on opposition, Aribo will also be cover for midfield.

It has to be an option.

We don’t need to have three in the middle at home to weaker sides.

3 midfielders isn't necessarily a negative option mate.

It allows you to create plenty of chances, as your full backs are bombing on and Jack and Kamara cover them.

The system works well for us.

It could easily happen mate, but up to now, Gerrard, like Klopp, prefers 3 narrow midfielders, as this gives him total control of the game.

We lost our way at Hampden a bit when Gerrard took Kamara off and went with 4 forwards.

All of a sudden the mentally challengeds were able to get more possession because we didn't have the same control in the middle of the park.

There's no question we do have plenty options though, if required.

I wouldn’t have done it in that specific game maybe.

If there’s one criticism I have of Gerrard, it’s the lack of systems. We may have different tactics, but it’s normally within the same structure.

Going from a 4-3-3 to what would probably be a 4-2-3-1 is as easy a transition as he could look at. While we don’t set out to play with a traditional 10, we more often than not have someone taking up that position when attacking.

It’s a nice position to be in!

3 midfielders isn't necessarily a negative option mate.

It allows you to create plenty of chances, as your full backs are bombing on and Jack and Kamara cover them.

The system works well for us.

No, definitely not and it is working well.

As I mentioned in another reply, I do have that 1% of worry that our alternative ‘go to’ tactic is chucking Defoe on and I’d like to see another option or two.

Ryan Jack is right midfield?
really?
We play 3 central midfielders.

Jones has bags of skill and pace, can pick out a wicked cross & he can score (against us and Celtic iirc)

Impact player possibly/cover for Kent as it stands it's difficult to access what role he has in the squad especially since he's been out injured for some time and the persistent rumours of a loan move elsewhere.

Pardon my ignorace but I always thought wingers are midfielders, so Kent would be a left midfielder. Winger just being a more specific term for a left/right midfielder who plays in a more advanced role up the pitch.

They certainly are in certain formations mate, but our current formation is very much about having 3 narrow, possession based midfielders in the centre of the park and 3 narrow forwards high up the park pressing the opposition defence when they have possession.

Our 2 full backs are almost midfielders considering how high up the park they are.

Compete with Kent for the left wing slot or for rotation when Kent needs rested and Aribo Ojo and Stewart can battle for the right wing slot

That could easily happen.

Kent, Jones, Stewart and Ojo could all do that job.

Whoever is best for the job will probably depend on how the opposition set up.

I wouldn’t have done it in that specific game maybe.

If there’s one criticism I have of Gerrard, it’s the lack of systems. We may have different tactics, but it’s normally within the same structure.

Going from a 4-3-3 to what would probably be a 4-2-3-1 is as easy a transition as he could look at. While we don’t set out to play with a traditional 10, we more often than not have someone taking up that position when attacking.

It’s a nice position to be in!

It's exactly the same criticism that's been made of Klopp in the past mate.

Not so much this season funnily enough. :))

I genuinely find it odd how so many fans fail to appreciate that it’s a squad game. I accept that we probably need 15-16 players, not the 24-25 other clubs work with.

As it stands, he’s the direct replacement for Kent when rotating/resting when games are won and could even start on the opposite side to Kent (with them switching sides) at home to lesser sides where we don’t need two sitting midfielders.

As a side, I feel these transfer rumours - for some reason unbeknown to me - have sparked a weird wave of FF users not appreciating his contribution pre-injury. He wasn’t a world beater, but he came up with big moments in important games.

Totally agree mate its not 11 man games anymore , used to be substitutions allowed were for injured players nowadays the modern team must be able to change systems during games so that's why they increased the bench size and the number of substitutions allowed. Sometimes players are best in certain systems and not great in others so if SG thinks a winger who hugs a touchline like Jones who can would open up a defence he starts Jones ,if he thinks a midfielder would be better off the touchline he plays Airfield and Jones sits on the bench that's why we need good players like Jones might only start a quarter of the games only that's a manager using his squad efficently

I think wingers can be described as both midfielders and forwards. For example, I'd consider Mane and Salah to be forwards for Liverpool, but then I would consider Albrighton for Leicester to be a midfielder despite playing out wide. In our system, I would definitely say our wingers were forwards due to what they're being asked to do.

I think whilst Aribo’s been excellent recently, Jones is totally different with his direct running which I like. Him down one side with Kent on the other I think will terrify teams and be useful away from home. The bold Morelos just has to stand in the middle and get the tap ins.

He is nowhere near the level of Kent or Aribo so he won’t be starting regularly. He’s capable of being a decent squad player though

I feel as though a lot of people thought he wasn't good enough before he had played for us and want to be proved right.
Truth is he made a terrific start for us then got injured. He has a massive part to play in this squad.

He's not a direct replacement for Kent though. We have been playing Kent in a more free role and not as a winger whereas Jordan is a winger.

Last edited:
1st choices at the moment are obviously kent and aribo in the attacking wings. Jones will provide the option for rotation and keep kent and aribo on their toes. I liked jones when he came on today, very direct

I feel as though a lot of people thought he wasn't good enough before he had played for us and want to be proved right.
Truth is he made a terrific start for us then got injured. He has a massive part to play in this squad.

Look I like the player mate. It's his finishing & goalscoring where he's behind the others for me.

It's exactly the same criticism that's been made of Klopp in the past mate.

Not so much this season funnily enough. :))
Klopp has a full squad capable of playing that system though. We have tried to shoehorn people like Barker into it rather than change it and go with someone like Stewart. That's my only criticism this season - our subs.

I think at times we've tried to fit certain player into a system who aren't good enough, rather than fitting it around the players we have. Just a minor criticism though-)

He signed on a free from Kilmarnock, nobody's going to be tearing their scrotum apart worrying whether he's going to start games or not. Before his injury he was doing very well, comfortably number 3 pick for the 2 slots behind/wide of the striker after Kent and Aribo at the moment.
Is the torn scrotum analogy deliberate?

He's not a direct replacement for Kent though. We have been playing Kent in a more free role and not as a winger whereas Jordan is a winger.

The way Kent plays leave a lot of space on the left wing for Borna to get on the ball. Add Jones and you may lose that space.

Jones will def have a part to play, he is just back from injury and he has jumped above Barker.

The way Kent plays leave a lot of space on the left wing for Borna to get on the ball. Add Jones and you may lose that space.

Jones will def have a part to play, he is just back from injury and he has jumped above Barker.
Yes mate, was just making the point that Kent is vital to how we set up, Borna plays almost like a winger. Kent moves around and plays more centrally. If Jones is a back up for anybody it will be Aribo on the right. We don't really have a replacement for what Kent does.

Jones had a very good game in Denmark and came on changed game against Legia at Ibrox.

I think though he had something like 5 starts from 13 when he was fit and 2 of those were St Joseph's and East Fife.

I think he has something to offer as more of a traditional winger who will hit the byline; but currently forth choice for me. Kent, Morelos and Aribo is as solid a front 3 as we have had in a long long time; and Stewart & Ojo are ahead of him as backups. Diving today in a friendly will hardly boost his chances I would think as well

Hope he stays. If he can come back after his errors and proves himself that would be a result for the club. A huge 5 months coming up.

Really want Jones to stay but with all the speculation I think there could be something in it.
taking his whole game into account maybe Gerrard feels end product is not gd enough possibly he was a Mark Allen signing. But I would like to see more of him.

Back