Match Thread Rangers v Stranraer - 19:45 Friday - Premier 1

Wouldn't join in with the criticism of Jones, he was obviously told to tuck in to let Halliday get down the wing. We need to stop trying to be too bloody clever, if Jones is a better winger than Halliday let him play more on the wing and Halliday can tuck in.
At times there it was just overplaying and refusing to do the simple things. Just so laboured.
Barker and Ojo can depart, asap.

It was more or less a second string side and in terms of easing ourselves back into competitive football a decent outing, but the guys who needed to impress, namely Jones, Barker and Ojo did little to do so.

We’re really crying out for players with a bit of bravery and invention in games like this and those three don’t convince they have it I’m afraid.

That is my only concern with this squad, we still lack quality in the wide positions other than Kent.

Hopefully Jones was just rusty because he has had some good games early in the season. We can’t rely on Barker and Ojo

The fact that Ojo replaced Defoe up top makes me think that Gerard and Beale are convinced they can get a tune out of him.

Capped at every level up to and including Under 20, but looks lost on the pitch at Ibrox

The first teamers looked okay tonight. When Gerrard said the other week some players are getting further away from the first team, I can see what he means. Halliday, barker, ojo all to show more.
the young lad at rb did okay. Few moments when a bit of composure trained into him then a better pass/ cross was on. But good coaching, and some game time and he’s one to watch I reckon. This tie might stick him in the window for a wee loan move, which I think would help him massively

The fact that Ojo replaced Defoe up top makes me think that Gerard and Beale are convinced they can get a tune out of him.

Capped at every level up to and including Under 20, but looks lost on the pitch at Ibrox

Honestly think that was just to make sure Defoe doesn’t get injured. I said before that Mebude or Young-Coombes should have been given a chance here off the bench.

I think Stewart will be ahead of him for that position. He wasn’t on the bench tonight though, was he injured or just not used?

I'm just in having not been able to watch the game.

Can anyone give me a level headed summary of how it was? How did Patterson play? Any non regulars show they've deserved a shot? And was it just 11 me behind the ball as you'd expect?
Patterson did well. Non Regulars didn't. Yep men behind the ball but a good run out none the less.

90 minutes of my life I'll never get back! Some players that had a chance to stake their claim never looked good enough tonight. Paterson looked like a regular compared to them

Wouldn't join in with the criticism of Jones, he was obviously told to tuck in to let Halliday get down the wing. We need to stop trying to be too bloody clever, if Jones is a better winger than Halliday let him play more on the wing and Halliday can tuck in.
At times there it was just overplaying and refusing to do the simple things. Just so laboured.
Barker and Ojo can depart, asap.
Fair enough comment that Jones was told to tuck in, but Barker went into the exact same position when he came on. Surely he deserves the same slack?

Well that as OK I guess. Stranraer was just rubbish to be fair, but Rangers gave them no chance. I don´t think they had a shot at goal all game.

Patterson looked very promising, as for the other fringe players looking to impress they didn´t do themseleves any favours. Jones was OK, but clearly a bit short of full match fitness. On the other hand hand Edmundson took no prisoners as usual, but the defence won´t have an easier game than this all season.

Can we not do that thing where we've won so people jump down your throat at any criticism?

Because Barker, Ojo and Jones were dire tonight. I'm willing to give the latter the benefit of the doubt having just come back, but the first two shouldn't be anywhere near the squad.

Agree with this, Barker was a bizzare signing, Ojo has flattered to deceive big time.

An easy injury free match , I expected more but genuinely can't be bothered criticising maybe some average displays from a number of players . The extra rest for the first teamers can only be a good thing!

Its been what youd expect. Were playing half a team, Stranraer dont want a tanking, a few cobwebs after the break.

We shouldve had 2 other penalties, an offside goal that looks like was actually onside, Stranraer should be down to 9 men and their keepers had a blinder.

Nathan Patterson looks good and it seems Stevie Wonder is the barber for our youth setup.

a few cobwebs after the break.

That above is where we depart.

Cobwebs?

Our lot are doing press ups in Du fcuking Bai, our opponents are labouring on building sites. They ain't a cert to get the full 14 days off.

Tonight proved yet again, we do not have strength or quality in depth.

Tonight proved yet again that, that elusive killer pass is as far away as my first stool.

Tonight also has proved (in advance for the umpteenth time) if we do not go for the cheating scum in black and point out their double standards (and we don't and won't) then we can kiss bye byes to the league.

Clancy at the turn of the year was the ultimate line in the sand to nail him, the referees in general and the CO and we reneged on our duty.

I'm happy tonight (I had a goal in each half) but we're going to be gnashing our collective ivories as the weeks go on.

dire stuff

what was the attendance tonight ? looked massive

terrible that was served up as reward

It was more or less a reserve side playing what amounted to a training game after a three week lay off and we won at a stroll and are in the next round.

I think we can forgive them.

Barker, Ojo and Jones just don't cut it for me !

I'd love to be proved wrong.

Not a game that favoured wingers but Barker and Jones were poor. Ojo not on for long enough to judge and did a bit more (including scoring a fine goal). Jones barely touched the ball which is inexcusable. Barker at least contributed more but mucked most of it up (especially denying Kennedy a goal on his debut). Aribo played the same role as them and was on the ball continually. And they were playing ahead of Halliday which should have given them space to play as true wingers if they wanted.

Worrying for their futures.

That’s why I’m glad our Scottish Cup tie was played unlike last year.
We cannot afford to be rusty in league games like Killie game last year.

All guns blazing for St Mirren, with pace, not this slow tempo.

We now have a back up for Right Back. Young Patterson did well and will improve once he gets some games under his belt. Can't complain about either center halfs as they weren't stretched all game. Midfield is industrious and industrial at times. No flair players who can grab a game by the scruff of its neck and make killer passes and we haven't had one of these since the heady days of Gazza and co. Forward line doesn't work well without Alfie. Defoe is a poacher, always has been and always will be. Aribo will be great as he has all the skills and will develop under Gerrard.

Andy Halliday, I love you for your heart and dedication but it's time to sit down and coach,son. This is the only position I worry about in case we sell Big Bora because we don't have any one else.

Willing to give Jones a few more games but the reality is that the stupid tackle in the old firm game could ruin his Rangers career.

We need a bit more strength in depth I don't feel confident Ojo, barker, Jones or Stewart could come on and change a game if needed

To be fair Stranraer did what they had to do against Rangers Reserves but we got comfortably through to the next round without any injuries and gave a lot of our fringe/young players a taste of the big time!

Rangers reserves?

Katic, Davis, Jack, Arfield, Aribo and Defoe are not part of our reserves mate. It showed that our 1st team squad is very poor in terms of depth and quality.
As others have posted, our colts beat them 2-nil

Positives we’re getting that performance out of the way before the league resumes and Patterson had a very good game.

Negatives, we just seem to struggle to break down ultra defensive team, even when they are shite. I worry we drop silly points at home at some point because of this. I’m also hoping Defoe isn’t on the way down as we badly need him.

Back