Match Thread Rangers v Stranraer - 19:45 Friday - Premier 1

Stranraer’s Man of the Match: John Beaton.

Literally refereed that like half the rules didn’t count because of the gulf in ability.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. He’s a fûcking cheat

The quality of our 1st team back is alarmingly poor!
Halliday, Ojo, Jones, Barker{beyond dreadful}, and no 3rd striker! Makes me really worry:oops:

Stranraer’s Man of the Match: John Beaton.

Literally refereed that like half the rules didn’t count because of the gulf in ability.
This is totally true.
Sticking up for the underdog is a fantastic attribute in a neutral but it has nothing at all to do with applying the laws properly for a referee.

It was more or less a second string side and in terms of easing ourselves back into competitive football a decent outing, but the guys who needed to impress, namely Jones, Barker and Ojo did little to do so.

We’re really crying out for players with a bit of bravery and invention in games like this and those three don’t convince they have it I’m afraid.

Well that is one of those games that will quickly be forgotten. It was a glorified training match of a 10 man defence v attack.

I’m baffled as to why we are sending Jamie Murphy out on loan when our back up wingers are Ojo,barker and jones.

The best of our back up wingers has been Greg Stewart. Jones did look ok early in the season but couldn't look ok thereafter as he was injured.

Jones,Barker,Halliday and Ojo can go anytime ,they offer absolutely nothing to the team.Our squad is nowhwere near as strong as some people think.

And would you rather have him playing for us over Barker? Both Jones and Barker been very poor tonight yet Murphy is going out on loan to a lower league team in a different country.

Should have played Murphy tonight to see how he does before shipping him out.

Our manager sees him in training every day. He's clearly not the player he was.

My man of the match is young Patterson. Thought he had a good game. Hope we see more of him
Very mature performance from the young lad.
He seems to have a sensible head on his shoulders and can play.
He will have done his reputation with the manager no harm at all tonight.

Few things I took from the game.

Joe Aribo is class and will be a big player for us this 2nd half of the season.
Young Patterson very impressive. Confident and brave and great to see.
Jordan Jones has always been and will always be a very average footballer.
Brandon Barker needs a free transfer. Why we continue to pick him, why we even signed him is a mystery beyond my comprehension.

All in all. A good run out. Hopefully management now accept some realities.

It was more or less a second string side and in terms of easing ourselves back into competitive football a decent outing, but the guys who needed to impress, namely Jones, Barker and Ojo did little to do so.

We’re really crying out for players with a bit of bravery and invention in games like this and those three don’t convince they have it I’m afraid.

Agreed. Barker and Ojo were absolutely awful. Jones anonymous and poor when he had any chance with the ball at feet

Summary
Pros
Defoe scores
Paterson
We’re through.
Blows the cobwebs away
Cons
Barker and jones
Defoe is going through a bad patch.
Strength in depth isn’t as good as you would hope.
Defoe going through a bad patch? Don’t get that. He’s hardly played consistently to class it as a bad patch

I'd honestly have kept Murphy (i'm not even a massive Jamie Murphy fan) and tried to punt barker out on loan, I just don't see anything to suggest he can make it as a footballer never mind a footballer at Rangers!

I'm just in having not been able to watch the game.

Can anyone give me a level headed summary of how it was? How did Patterson play? Any non regulars show they've deserved a shot? And was it just 11 me behind the ball as you'd expect?

Barker is not good enough.
Jones needs games to get back to where he was.
Halliday is decent back up at best.
Patterson looks very promising.

Ojo still makes poor decisions.
Barker is an enigma, ... how the fck did he become a professional footballer?
Jordan Jones had a chance to do more and didn't, disappointing from him.

I'm just in having not been able to watch the game.

Can anyone give me a level headed summary of how it was? How did Patterson play? Any non regulars show they've deserved a shot? And was it just 11 me behind the ball as you'd expect?
Paterson done well, fringe players won’t be making the starting 11 for big games coming up.

Our manager sees him in training every day. He's clearly not the player he was.

Fair point don’t disagree with that logic. I just highly doubt that Burton have picked up a significant chunk of his wage and would rather have him sticking about because of how light we are in attack. Murphy can play as a second striker and is a proven goal scorer in our league while we fight for a title.

Barker on the other hand has proven he is utter shite at multiple clubs including two in Scotland.

Good to see Patterson and Kennedy on the pitch and Patterson looks as if he will be a good ‘un.
Best bit about tonight - the football’s back after the break!

To be fair Stranraer did what they had to do against Rangers Reserves but we got comfortably through to the next round without any injuries and gave a lot of our fringe/young players a taste of the big time!

These games are not always as straightforward as they seem, especially when there are selection dilemmas.

Rangers could win handsomely, but some of the other positives people have said they’re looking for are surely more important? Like a win and progress to the next round; a good team performance; the shape, style and system continuing even with key players missing; blooding youngsters; avoiding further injuries and suspensions.

If you tick all those boxes, wouldn’t 2- or 3-0 be fine?

Prophetic.

It was exactly as expected.

Job done but that was turgid. Whenever we did break them down the final decisions were not good enough. Second string players coming in did themselves no favours (Patterson being the exception) but the regulars didn’t exactly bring much either.

It was basically a training match. Even so, it shows that we do not have strength in depth with regard to attacking players let alone players with flair. Jones, Barker and Ojo are not consistent enough to be first team players. Steve Davis is a true professional. Stood head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. Arfield and Jack pass marks. Defoe worked hard. We’re through to the next round. That’s that.

Fair point don’t disagree with that logic. I just highly doubt that Burton have picked up a significant chunk of his wage and would rather have him sticking about because of how light we are in attack. Murphy can play as a second striker and is a proven goal scorer in our league while we fight for a title.

Barker on the other hand has proven he is utter shite at multiple clubs including two in Scotland.

I think if Murphy is to get anywhere near his old self he needs to be playing regularly, he wouldn't get that at us as we have a league to win.

I'd honestly have kept Murphy (i'm not even a massive Jamie Murphy fan) and tried to punt barker out on loan, I just don't see anything to suggest he can make it as a footballer never mind a footballer at Rangers!

Yep. Murphy can actually score goals too. It’s a baffling decision which can only be justified if Murphy’s full wage is being covered (which it’s clearly not) and someone else is brought in on that freed wage.

Back