Derek McInnes turning us down

My reason for saying that was if he was as big a Rangers man as he declared then he would never turn the job down no honest Rangers man would IMO , but thankfully it worked out well for us

Well, you said you weren't sure he was even offered it. That's the complete opposite to 'well a true Rangers fan wouldn't turn it down'.

It's a fact he was offered the job. Robertson confirmed it when we had to then announce Murty.

Story I heard at the time from a decent source was Walter advised him not to take it. Personally never believed it. Very strange but I think we were lucky he said no.

Never heard this before. Would hope (if true) Walter recognised he didn’t have the mettle for it.

I think he recognised his level himself tbh.

We'd be looking for a new manager already! The thought of him getting the job gave me many, many sleepless nights

He was only willing to leave if he had the blessing of Stewart Milne, he didn’t want to leave on bad terms with Stewart because he feels that he owes a lot to him and didn’t want to ruin their friendship. Derek has been staying rent free in one of Stewart’s properties aswell.

At the time I was just holding on to hope that any change to come would put us on a trajectory for success. I was astounded that he turned us down as he will never get a bigger chance, shows what he is actually made of - shite bag.

Thank %^*& anyway. Will have to dragged out of Pittodrie as I don’t think anybody else will touch him. He knows he has it too good up there

I was absolutely delighted when I heard he'd turned it down. Can't stand the greasy prick. Dread to think what state we'd be in now if he'd accepted the job.

Imagine waking up every day not just being a Rangers player but your going to work with a world footballing icon.
The young lads must be bursting to get into the first team squad.
On the other hand i see a wee man who looks clatty with his looks and attire,they way he moans in every interview.
What happened to the lad who was a right good footballer with us,its strange it really is.

difficult to know - I think he is better than many give him credit for. but glad he chickened out.

I agree with this, I’m glad it’s worked out the way it has, but I think McInnes would have challenged for the title eventually with us.

I was dead against his appointment so I was absolutely delighted that he shat himself. I didn't know who at the time, but I just knew we could and would get better. McInnes was anything but a "safe appointment". The filth would be well on their way to 9 right now and we'd have guys like Shinnie and McKenna in the team playing route one garbage. Shiver up the spine stuff.

I'm glad that he did not get it, as I felt he was not high enough calibre. However, we don't really know how he would have done as Rangers manager as it never happened.

His stats compared to other previous Aberdeen managers are good and that gave him a bit of guarantee that his job was okay for the time being. It will be interesting to see what happens up there with new investors, where they stick with McInnes or get shot of him to freshen it up.

At the time I was gutted he turned us down. Would he have made us better than we were then? Certainly. Would we be comfortably second and beating the rest (other than Celtic) most likely. Would we be challenging for the league and into the knock out stages of European football? Absolutely not. So looking back, I’m delighted he turned us down.

He was only willing to leave if he had the blessing of Stewart Milne, he didn’t want to leave on bad terms with Stewart because he feels that he owes a lot to him and didn’t want to ruin their friendship. Derek has been staying rent free in one of Stewart’s properties aswell.

Milne had an issue with a Rangers fan and ex-player becoming Rangers manager and in doing so, quadrupling his salary?

You're story is claptrap.

He knew he was a placeholder until we got someone in with a winning mentality, thank the stars we got gerrard.

Shat it, whether it was from himself or people around him at Aberdeen im sure he didn't think he would get the funding required and didn't believe in his ability to get the club where it needed to be because of that.. He'll never admit it but it will go down as his biggest ever regret and i can only thank him for that, that regret probably grew when he saw us sign Kent for 7m. We'd have likely signed players like Shinnie and Mackay-Steven, Jack wouldn't have developed into the player he is now and be far closer to 3rd and 4th than 1st

I am glad he turned us down, he would probably have brought some of those diddies he has just now in that sheep team.

He can stay in Aberdeen and be expected a top 6 finish, or come to Rangers and be expected to win

He doesn't have the mentality for it

Delighted when he shat it.some poster were gutted when he knocked us back.
wonder how he feels about it now?

I think the truth was probably a combination of factors.

We were a mess at the time.
Some board members wanted McInnes (I seem to remember there being a rumour that King had sought Walter’s advice and that was his suggestion) and I have it in my head that he was approached before Allen, who’d just come in, said ‘hold on a minute’ and wanted to be allowed to explore other options which was then granted.

I think that’s where the problems arose.

McInnes went from feeling that he was a stick on for the job to being someone we may appoint unless we could find better.

I could understand him being more than a bit disgruntled by that.

Milne then began to whisper in his ear about how dysfunctional we were and promising him all sorts to remain at Pittodrie while his Yahoo supporting no.2 (Doherty?) started getting cold feet about the prospect of entering the lion’s den and at that point McInnes finally shat it and decided it probably was too big a job for him.

Whatever the reasons, thank f**k!

I think the truth was probably a combination of factors.

We were a mess at the time.
Some board members wanted McInnes (I seem to remember there being a rumour that King had sought Walter’s advice and that was his suggestion) and I have it in my head that he was approached before Allen, who’d just come in, said ‘hold on a minute’ and wanted to be allowed to explore other options which was then granted.

I think that’s where the problems arose.

McInnes went from feeling that he was a stick on for the job to being someone we may appoint unless we could find better.

I could understand him being more than a bit disgruntled by that.

Milne then began to whisper in his ear about how dysfunctional we were and promising him all sorts to remain at Pittodrie while his Yahoo supporting no.2 (Doherty?) started getting cold feet about the prospect of entering the lion’s den and at that point McInnes finally shat it and decided it probably was too big a job for him.

Whatever the reasons, thank f**k!
It is too big for him.

He'd have got nowhere near a title. A complete and utter loser.

He can beat the rest of the dross just now, with better players and resources I’m sure he would have done better still.

Its all academic in any case, just to reiterate, glad he turned it down, glad the way it’s worked out.

I still cringe to think I was disappointed we missed out on him. Even worse that our next option was a youth coach who happened to have been a great player.

Thank feck I don't get to make decisions.

Did he not decline (an) the approach from Sunderland as well?

It's definitely a strange affair that one

Our story is that he bottled it at the last minute.

McInnes’s story is he backed out at the last minute because he didn’t feel he had the full backing of the whole board and certain agreements we’re changed late in the day.

Delighted when he shat it.some poster were gutted when he knocked us back.
wonder how he feels about it now?

I had resigned myself to him getting the job feeling that if the money or the thinking wasn’t there to recruit a better calibre of manager he was probably a safe pair of hands after the mess Pedro and Warburton had made of it.

But it was a depressing thought that he represented the extent of our ambitions.

When he knocked us back it seemed to sum up the complete disarray we were in at the time - namely, that we couldn’t even get an ex-player for whom the role should have been the pinnacle of his managerial career to accept it.

Our story is that he bottled it at the last minute.

McInnes’s story is he backed out at the last minute because he didn’t feel he had the full backing of the whole board and certain agreements we’re changed late in the day.

The ‘shat the bed’ line has always felt like something we tell ourselves to explain why a managerial mediocrity like him would turn us down.

I think it was more complicated than that, but ultimately he understood that the job to transform the club was not going to be an easy one and he just didn’t feel up for it, so in that respect there’s an element of truth to it.

I think he knew that he had found his level and would have been found out as a piss poor manager if he came to us.

Back